No announcement yet.

How often do you practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have this little question I would like to ask everyone.

Is a bath necessary after the morning practice? One reason why I avoid any exercise other than Lifting the Sky and Pushing Mountains is because I do not want to perspire. I know that with our qigong, we can take a bath within 10 minutes, but I must be weird - I need at least 30 minutes, otherwise my shoulder joints really hurt after the bath. This means I must always factor in an additional 30 minutes into any practice, and I need to leave for work by 0645 every morning. That does not leave me with much time for the morning practice.

In the evening, I practice Lifting the Sky, zhan zhuang (Taijiquan) with qi flow, another Taijiquan qigong exercise, again with qi flow, Standing Meditation. This takes about 30 to 40 minutes, although I will be reducing the time on advice from Sifu.

Taijiquan form practice is 5 times a week and 30 minutes each session.
    百德以孝为先
    Persevere in correct practice

Comment

No, a bath is not necessary.
      Sifu Anthony Korahais
      www.FlowingZen.com
      (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Hi all,

i practice since August twice every day as i was instructed by sifu Wong. 15 minutes in the morning and 15 in the evening. Normally i chose a dynamic pattern as random. And if i miss one of the two sessions i use to increase the other one. Also in the middle of the week i attend to a regular 1.30 hours session with my waham instructor.

hope it helps,
        Alejandro
        "I do not seek. I find." - Pablo Picasso

Comment

Hi Antonious,
          My training routine is as follows,
          Morning,Lifting the Sky,stance training followed by Flowing Streams Floating Clouds than standing mediation,this takes about 2hrs.

Of a night,Three levels to ground leg stretching exercises followed by Carrying the Moon or alternatively Pushing the Mountain,this takes around 1hr, 5 to 6 days a week I also practice combat sequences 3 to 4 times a week.

I have been training this way since I attended Sifu"s intencive Kung Fu course 6mths ago.My aim is to develop Small Universe flow and Cosmos Palm over the next 6mths,what is your opinion of my aims and methods of training?
          It"s very impressive to hear that you have not missed a day of Lifting the Sky in 4yrs great dedication,inspirering.

Shaolin Salutations,
          Steve Clarke
          Australia.

Comment

Hi Steve.

Actually, I haven't missed a day of Lifting The Sky since Jan 1, 2000. So that's almost 6 years now.

It's hard for me to tell, but your practice routine sounds a bit unbalanced to me. It seems like you are doing a lot of force training, but not enough form and combat training. Are you doing 2 hours of Chi Kung in the morning without doing any moving Kung Fu patterns or sequences? If so, then I would recommend balancing out your force training with more Kung Fu patterns and sequences.

Best regards,
            Sifu Anthony Korahais
            www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

Hi Antonius,

Yes, my 2hr session of Chi Kung in the morning does not include any sequence training only force training,but my aim is to devolp force predominatly.I practice combat sequences 3 to 4 times a week so I do not forget them,but if you think my training is out of balance for my aims than I will adjust it,what would you recommend?.
              As of the 1/1/06 I will follow your daily commitment of Lifting the Sky, inspired.

Thanks,
              Steve Clarke.

Comment

Dear Steve,

It's very nice to hear from you. Having taken both the Chi Kung Intensive and the Kung Fu Intensive at the same time as you, it seems that we have a special connection. I often think of you practicing and wonder how you are doing. Three hours of practice a day is also quite inspiring. I'm very glad to hear that you are being so dilligent.

Are you planning to take another Intensive course in the near future? I'd sure like to spar with you again.

Until then, I hope you won't mind being my imaginary sparring partner this evening.

Out of curiosity, are you practicing One Finger Shooting Zen?
                Charles David Chalmers
                Brunei Darussalam

Comment

My practice

Dear Friends and Family

I meant to post on this thread last year, but I wanted to wait until I was practicing more .

Here is my (mostly) regular schedule:

Morning:

One hour

Lifting the Sky
                  Chi Flow
                  Stances (30 minutes)
                  Chi Flow
                  Flexible Legs
                  Chi Flow
                  Combat Sequences/ Forms (sometimes in the evening). ten to fifteen mins.
                  Flow
                  Standing Meditation
                  Mantra

Afternoon:

Two to ten minutes

Lifting the Sky
                  Chi Flow
                  Standing

Evening:

thirty minutes

LTS
                  Chi Flow
                  One Finger Shooting Zen (ten minutes)
                  (if combat is missed in the morning, I do it now)
                  Chi Flow
                  Standing
                  Mantra

Notes:

I rarely miss my morning session, though I ofter leave my combat for the evening.

I occassionally miss my evening session (or just do my lifting the sky), in which case, the following morning I will do my One Finger Zen and do my stances in the evening.

My standing meditation generally gives me a feeling of great joy.

My stance training is very pleasant (when I am not thinking about this and that .

Although my least favorite aspect of training has been the combat I am finding ways to make it more enjoyable.

I generally find that I will close my eyes throughout the day and enjoy "breathing into my dan tian" for short periods of time. I will not say it is dan tian breathing because I never learned this technique for him (consciously at least).

Sometimes I feel as though it is quite possible to practice continuously, by smiling from the heart and periodically returning my attentin to my dan tian. I am not at the point where I am doing this yet--I still experience periods when I will become upset, distracted, disturbed, or otherwise thrown off by the days events--but it is one of my goals to be in a chi kung fu state of mind all the time. (I'll keep you posted).

I don't have any specific questions regarding my practice but would welcome any observations or comments.
                  Charles David Chalmers
                  Brunei Darussalam

Comment

The Five Gates

Dear Steve,

I understand that developing force is your objective. But in Shaolin Wahnam, we emphasize quality rather than quantity. We also emphasize holistic training. Our force training methods are very powerful. If you are emphasizing quality in these exercises, then there is no need to practice for hours and hours every day.

I would recommend that you use Charles' (cha muir) outline as an example. It's a good one. The key to a good practice routine is balance. If you are practicing 3 hours a day, but only doing combat sequences 3-4 times a week, then something is out of balance.

Actually, I plan to write an article on this subject soon. Until then, let me give a quick example.

Let's imagine that force can be measured. Let's say that I have developed 50 units of force. And let's say that you have 100. That's twice as much as me! So you must be twice as powerful as me, right?

Nope. In fact, you may be LESS powerful than me. How is that possible?

When delivering force through a strike, it must travel through the Five Gates: dantian, shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand. The amount of force that arrives at the target depends not only on how much force is sent, but also on how much is delivered through the gates.

You have 100 units of force. But because of various blockages, only 40 units make it through the Five Gates and arrive at the target. I only have 50 units, but because of my holistic training, 45 of those units arrive at the target. So even though you have twice as much force as me, my strike is still more powerful.

And more importantly, I will be MUCH healthier than you. In the example above, you have less than 40% of your power reaching the target. What happens to the other 60%? It gets stuck somewhere -- in a meridian, an organ, or a joint. And that's A LOT of energy to get stuck. In this example, you lack Yin-Yang balance. You have a lot of energy, but that energy is not flowing.

I, on the other hand, have balance. I have less energy, but it is flowing, making me not only more powerful, but also healthier and happier. When I strike, 90% of the energy gets delivered to the target. The force that doesn't arrive will easily be cleansed away because my energy is flowing smoothly.
                    Last edited by Antonius; 25 November 2005, 10:25 PM.
                    Sifu Anthony Korahais
                    www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius
                      Dear Steve,

I understand that developing force is your objective. But in Shaolin Wahnam, we emphasize quality rather than quantity. We also emphasize holistic training. Our force training methods are very powerful. If you are emphasizing quality in these exercises, then there is no need to practice for hours and hours every day.

I would recommend that you use Charles' (cha muir) outline as an example. It's a good one. The key to a good practice routine is balance. If you are practicing 3 hours a day, but only doing combat sequences 3-4 times a week, then something is out of balance.

Actually, I plan to write an article on this subject soon. Until then, let me give a quick example.

Let's imagine that force can be measured. Let's say that I have developed 50 units of force. And let's say that you have 100. That's twice as much as me! So you must be twice as powerful as me, right?

Nope. In fact, you may be LESS powerful than me. How is that possible?

When delivering force through a strike, it must travel through the Five Gates: dantian, shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand. The amount of force that arrives at the target depends not only on how much force is sent, but also on how much is delivered through the gates.

You have 100 units of force. But because of various blockages, only 40 units make it through the Five Gates and arrive at the target. I only have 50 units, but because of my holistic training, 45 of those units arrive at the target. So even though you have twice as much force as me, my strike is still more powerful.

And more importantly, I will be MUCH healthier than you. In the example above, you have less than 40% of your power reaching the target. What happens to the other 60%? It gets stuck somewhere -- in a meridian, an organ, or a joint. And that's A LOT of energy to get stuck. In this example, you lack Yin-Yang balance. You have a lot of energy, but that energy is not flowing.

I, on the other hand, have balance. I have less energy, but it is flowing, making me not only more powerful, but also healthier and happier. When I strike, 90% of the energy gets delivered to the target. The force that doesn't arrive will easily be cleansed away because my energy is flowing smoothly.

Hi Antonius,

Thanks for your response,your explaination makes sense I did not think that all of the force being developed would not reach the target of the strike or that the remaning force could be harmfull.Some mornings I have a slight dull ache in my heart area or around the side of my chest,but once I get up and move around it disappears,if I feel this 2 days in a row I will take a day off.
                      So maybe to much energy like you said, I will balance my training with more combat sequences,should I replace some stance trainng with One Finger Shooting Zen, for more of a flowing force?but I thought you have to practice stances everyday?
                      Sifu said durring the Kung Fu course regarding stance training to progress slowly starting from 30breaths per stance to eventualy 300per stance.
                      I can comfortably do 90 to 100 breaths per stance with out any aches or major pain apart from my leg muscles in unicorn stance.But i can not imagine having enough time for 300 breaths per stance,would Sifu want us to reach this goal?
                      How long would you recomend for stances at my level?

Best Regards
                      Steve.

Comment

Hi Charles,
                        Hope everything is well,I was suprised to see you are posting from Korea what are you doing over there and how was your tour around Canada?
                        After attending both the courses with you I also wonder how you are and how your progress has developed?has your Small Universe progressed any further?

I will be attending a Chi Kung course with Sifu over here on the 2nd of Dec. hosted by Sifu Jeffery in Melborne so I am looking foward to seeing Sifu again and meeting Jeffery and other mambers of Shaolin Wahnam,my Mum and my girlfriend Kelie are also going.But I will definatly let you know if I will be attending any of Sifu"s Kung Fu courses either over here or any where else,you are a great sparring partner with long punches and look foward to sparring you again,so keep up the practice.

Good to see you are doing so much training,I will take Antonius"s advice and follow a simalar routine,to answer your question I do not practice One Finger Shooting Zen very often.

Shaolin Salutations,
                        Steve.

Comment

Dear Steve

Dear Steve,

I'm glad things are going well for you. Enjoy your course with Sifu!

As for me, I am teaching English in Korea, and our tour around Canada went very well. We bought a seven acre piece of forest in a lovely valley and intend to return there to build our home and temple.

My practice is going well after suffering a serious setback some months ago. Luckily I was able to learn a good deal from this setback.

I have not acheived the breakthrough in Small Universe yet though some days it feels like I am getting close. I still have some blockages to work out
                          Charles David Chalmers
                          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

The question of how often one needs to practice has been asked over and over again. My answer to this question is not based on "quantity" but "quality". It is non productive practising 8 hours a day 7 days a week and 365 days a year when one does it incorrectly. It is a pure waste of time and energy.

The best way is to listen to your body and inner self as to how often one needs to practise. The most important thing is to practise correclty and follow your sifu's instructions.

Your own physical and mental conditions dictate your practice.

Best Wishes,
                            Frank

Comment

Id like to practice twice everyday but my backpacker reality has the following hurdles:

1) Travel getting in the way
                              2) Finding a job (or the job itself) getting in the way
                              3) Finding place to train in new location getting in the way

My idealised routine is usually:-

Morning: LTS, Chi Flow, Standing meditation (alternating Lifting the Sky with Carrying the Moon on each subsequent day)

Evening: SMCF, Directed CF, Standing meditation
                              Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                              Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                              Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                              - ancient wisdom

Comment

I too, like to practise twice a day.

My program now for both morning and evening sessions is as follows:

- 10 to 15 repititions of lifting the sky or carrying the moon or pushing mountains
                                - 10 to 15 minutes chi flow
                                - Horse-riding stance (stand as long as I can)
                                - 5 minutes chi flow
                                - Standing meditation (where I ask God to completely cure my asthma and forgive those who harmed me)
                                - Briskly walk for 30 steps
                                - Stretching exercises

Once a week I practise dan tien breathing.

Is anything wrong with my program?
                                Last edited by Tu Le; 30 September 2006, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X