Broken wrist / lifting the sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken wrist / lifting the sky

Hello and hi to all, would just like some advise. I recently broke my wrist (still waiting on the mri results) and was wondering if I can still practice lifting the sky? I'm in a cast for now so I can't move my right wrist in the correct form. I've only been taught lifting the sky and horse riding stance which I occasionally do, but really enjoy when I find the time (I know, I know). Is there anything else that would help speed up my healing that I could perform without any risks?
    Many thanks to all!

Hi Doug,

If your wrist is in a cast I would leave out Lifting the Sky for the time being. Once the cast is off and you have been given the go-ahead by your physician to resume normal activities then Lifting the Sky would be a great pattern to practice - every day
    (Horse Riding Stance will also be beneficial at this stage too)

At the moment, what I recommend is performing a chi kung session without the 'Lifting the Sky' pattern

i.e.
    • stand upright
    • enter a chi kung state of mind (relax physically, relax mentally, relax emotionally, relax spiritually)
    • have a gentle thought of your body healing itself - just a gentle thought, and then let it go.
    • let your chi flow (if nothing happens, just enjoy the relaxed state you are in for a few minutes)
    • standing zen (if you have been taught this, otherwise just complete)
    • complete

If no 'chi flow' happens, then don't worry. If you already have the skill of lifting the sky, and you relax and let go deeply enough, your chi will still flow, although it may be imperceptible on the outside and may not result in any movements.

Alternatively, you could try such a session sitting down in a chair, or lying down in bed. Once or twice a day for best results, for no more than 15 minutes per session.

Any further questions/feedback, don't hesitate,
    Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
    Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
    - ancient wisdom

Comment

Who did you learn Lifting the Sky and Horse Riding Stance from and when?
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Andy, many thanks, I'll let you know how I get on. Andrew, I was taught about 6 years ago by a guy called Jamie Robson who was teaching in Edinburgh at the time but have lost contact since. I've been meaning to practice more and find the time to meet another teacher but life's been busy. I'm thinking injuring myself is to teach me patience and focus. Please let me know if I should refer to you guys as sifu or not? many thanks. :-)

Comment

Dear Doug,

You are in luck. Sifu Mark Appleford, the Chief Instructor in the UK, is running a days course in Edinburgh on June 22nd. He is also great with injuries. You can find out more details and apply for a place on the course here.

Best wishes,

Barry
          Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
          Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
          Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
          UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the link Barry, I'll see if finances and time can acaccommodate it, I've been in touch with Mark about family days but was unaware of this course. Cheers.

Comment

Contacting Sifu Mark is an excellent move. Until then, continue to follow Sifu Andy's advice unless otherwise advised by Sifu Mark.
              Sifu Andrew Barnett

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)

Comment

Thank you...

Comment

Quick update, bones in wrist badly bruised but no fractures, happy days. No cast now but still limited movement in wrist. Will continue as advised until healed, thank you all...

Comment

Good to hear, Doug. I would still seriously consider Sifu Mark's one day course. Well worth the effort to attend.
                    Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                      I would still seriously consider Sifu Mark's one day course. Well worth the effort to attend.
                      An excellent tune-up opportunity for bruised bones!
                      Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                      Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                      Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                      - ancient wisdom

Comment

I unfortunately could not make Marks course, but I did get to watch my sons first football gala instead , but will make the effort for next time. The plus side to all this is that I've been doing chi gung every day for a month now, which feels lovely, and my wrist is back to 90% healed. Many thanks to you all and hope to meet some of you at some point. Enjoy the summer camp!

Comment

Working...
                        X