Application outside combat - 3 arrivals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application outside combat - 3 arrivals

This is a question for Shaolin Wahnam Instructors.

Please could you expand on the application of 3 arrivals and 4 modes of preparation in life outside kungfu?

I sort of thought about the 3 arrivals for a bit, but decided I was probably wrong. Here's what I came up with.

Arrival of the heart - deciding what you want to do. (decide to visit a friend)
    Arrival of the feet - putting yourself in the position to be able to do it (get a car, learn to drive, get petrol, go there)
    Arrival of the hands - action! (visit)

I'm pretty sure about the heart, but not about the feet and hands. In fact I'm not sure I'm on the right tack at all.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Chris.

Interesting thread

Hi Chris,

Nice thread

For a quick summary of the Three Arrivals

Arrival of the Heart (idea, mind, determination, conviction)
    Arrival of the Feet (location, spacing, journey, travel)
    Arrival of the Hands (culmination, end result, event itself, fruition)

It is an interesting point that in Taijiquan, students are frequently taught that movements start in the feet and express themselves through the hands. As I dont practice Taijiquan, I will leave this for one of my brothers or sisters to elabourate on (or not, gentle strollers that they are ).

A quick summary of the Four Modes of Preparation

1) - Be physically and mentally ready
    2) - Appraise your opponent
    3) - Spot or create an opportunity
    4) - Move swiftly

The senario - You and some friends decide to go to the cinema, but no one can decide which film to go and see (No one is ready). You decide to intervene and quickly suggest several key films, shortlisting two (appraise your opponent, in this case it's your friends indescision). You check out the film times looking for an optimum film & theatre (Timing & Spacing again, as well as an opportunity) and you speed the descision to a fruitfull outcome (moving swiftly in the conversation).

The above example can also be used for the Three Arrivals, Descision Making, Instantaneous Change (I've seen that, I dont like that etc), Adjusting Footwork (caught in traffic on the way to the cinema, so change your route or your destination), Correct Judgement (a good shortlist that speeds up the process) and every other skill and principle that has been taught, will be taught or could be taught. In fact, if something couldn't be used outside of the classes, I would be extremely surprised.

Its only a quick summary that I've given because I would actually be very interested in students to write their interpretation and understanding of these two key facets of Shaolin Kungfu.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, Darryl Sisook. Nice to know I'm on the right lines.

If I get time, I may look at some examples of applying these principles in military history. If I do, I'll post anything interesting. Of course, anyone really interested could do that for themselves too

Thanks,
      Chris.

Comment

Working...
      X