Qigong's effects on Athletic performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swimming Update:

"The brain is the positive motor pole for mind action, while the pelvis is the negative motor pole for physical action. The pelvis contains the latent force and drive behind all our actions, whether we are aware of it or not. It represents all the involuted mental and emotional energy which is concentrated here for physical exertion and expression. Even the arms could not swing freely nor act without the support of the fixed pelvis, by muscular co-ordination. It is the foundation of the deep, as the seed power energy field at the base of physical life." - Dr. Randolph Stone, Health Building

I could not find a better quote to describe my experience in my recent athletic accomplishment than the above by Dr. Stone. I've been focusing on swimming with a goal to swim across the lake in front of my parents' home. As the crow flies, the distance to the target(a yacht club) is 3 miles or 4800 meters. I accomplished this swim without fatigue. Also, as I have experienced many times, the second half of the swim was even easier than the first half despite a strong headwind and waves during that second, open water section.

The 3 highlights for me this time were 1) waist movement 2) full relaxation and 3) visualization.

Having a picture in my mind of the final goal(the yacht club) and breaking the swim into 4 sections in my mind was very important. The visualization of the target acted as a magnet in my mind which was transformed into energetic and physical action.

Relaxation is a skill that becomes deeper with practice. It is also aided by restoring a smooth connection to the waist/pelvis which allows for relaxed, powerful movement.

I've been practicing this swimming stroke for over a year. I chose this one because the whole movement is powered from the waist. When done with fins, the stroke can add a dolphin kick like seen here. This combination of the combat side stroke and dolphin kick with fins has been very enjoyable. The more I do it, the more I relax! Also, the more energy I get! The dolphin kick is like a wave of energy moving through the body. This wave motion of energy may be the real source of power which allows dolphins and other marine animals to move elegantly at high speed through water.

I am very confident that I can swim much further, with or without fins, while feeling fresh, relaxed and full of energy before, during and after the swim. Also, all this deepens my internal force and mental clarity while boosting confidence. Thank you Sifu for giving us these skills. The more we use them(without over-training), the more we benefit.

"It is like turning on a switch and allowing the currents to do the work, instead of wasting a lot of energy in performing acrobatic stunts. All this is based on Nature's finer forces in motion."
    -Dr. Randolph Stone, Health Building
    少林華南台灣 Shaolin Wahnam Taiwan

Facebook

"Then how could chi kung overcome diseases where the cause is unknown or when there is no cure? The question is actually incorrect. The expressions "the cause is unknown" and "there is no cure" are applicable only in the Western medical paradigm. The expressions no longer hold true in the chi kung paradigm. In the chi kung paradigm the cause is known, and there is a cure."

-Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

That is amazing dear Sidai. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. Did you use the Art of 1000 steps for this achievement?

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Sifu Mark Blohm , congratulations for the great achievements and thank you for the inspirations
        ....mastering chi kung applications , from master runner to master swimmer and more
        Damian Kissey
        Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
        www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Blohm View Post

Relaxation is a skill that becomes deeper with practice. It is also aided by restoring a smooth connection to the waist/pelvis which allows for relaxed, powerful movement.

I've been practicing this swimming stroke for over a year. I chose this one because the whole movement is powered from the waist. When done with fins, the stroke can add a dolphin kick like seen here. This combination of the combat side stroke and dolphin kick with fins has been very enjoyable. The more I do it, the more I relax! Also, the more energy I get! The dolphin kick is like a wave of energy moving through the body. This wave motion of energy may be the real source of power which allows dolphins and other marine animals to move elegantly at high speed through water.
          Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing with us your swimming accomplishment Sifu Mark

I like it that you mentioned specifically that the power comes from your waist, which is very similiar in Kung Fu where waist rotation is very important. It seems that this principle is applicable to many sports activities.

With Shaolin Salute,
          Lee Wei Joo
          http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Hi, everybody!
            I want to tell, about advantage Chi kung in extension of muscles and increase in flexibility! It is excellent!
            Than better you relax, the result is better there! And in relaxation - all Chi kung!

Comment

As a former swimming instructor and active swimmer for some eleven years in the past I will echo what Sifu Mark wrote - swimming almost five kilometers without fatigue is remarkable, even if you are a top athlete and swimming very leisurely. I quite often enjoy these chi kung benefits when walking for a long time and often as Mark pointed out, ending up with more energy afterwards the longer the walk.

I still remember climbing mount Kinabalu in Sabah with Sifu Andy Cusick after an intensive kungfu course with Sifu, we were both amazed at how we did not get tired or winded, even having to stop at times for our guide to catch up.
              When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Working...
              X