X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 Lohan Art - List of special benefits

Dear family,

While the 18 Lohan Hands are a great set of exercises to gain all the holistic benefits of Chi Kung, being health, vitality, mental clarity and spiritual cultivation, depending on the skill level of the practitioner, its main purpose is to become and stay healthy.

The 18 Lohan Art is a great collection of exercises that can bring all the holistic benefits of Chi Kung too, but this set focuses more on internal force in all martial aspects (building, flowing, exploding). The force can of course be used not exclusively for martial arts, but be converted to enrich every aspect of our lives.

You can find pictures and the history of the 18 Lohan Art here: http://www.shaolin.org/general-2/eighteen-lohan-art.html

Those who have not learned the exercises yet, should take the chance when it arises!

Every exercise has some special benefits besides the holistic ones. Trying my best as a Scholar Warrior, I collected Sifu’s statements from various courses, Q&A and website articles.

Sifu was so kind to review the result of my research and even added some more entries.

The list will be included in the Q&A at the end of next year, but I am allowed to post it in our Virtual Kwoon already.

I condensed the list to keywords for easier access. Related keywords share a line. Some quotes from Sifu are also included.

I hope the list will be beneficial to you in choosing the right exercise for your current aims and needs!

THE 18 LOHAN ART:

1 - Lohan worships Buddha
    heart,
    agility, contributes to the Art of Lightness

2 - Reverse hanging on double hooks
    “is a very powerful exercise to develop internal force, so it has to be practiced with the supervision of a competent teacher.”
    activates the phenomenal big universal chi flow

3 - Double Hooks Hanging on Wall
    “is a very powerful exercise to develop internal force, so it has to be practiced with the supervision of a competent teacher.”
    kidneys

4 - Shake Head Wag Tail
    cleansing of the nervous system, overcoming allergies,
    spine, neck

>> 5 - Rhinoceros looks to the moon
    kidneys,
    flexibility of the hips, which are the “commander of movement”
    spine, neck,
    nervous system, overcoming allergies

6 - Big Boss lifts bronze vessel
    “develops a lot of internal force, so it has to be practiced with the supervision of a competent teacher.”
    strengthens kidney system,
    roots to the ground

7 - Big Bird Spreads Wings
    Fa-Jing (exploding force),
    heart, opens chest

8 - Old Monk Grinds Rice
    Fa-Jing (exploding force) and flowing energy,
    agility

9 - Golden Leopard Trains Claws
    Fa-Jing (exploding force) - more consolidated than in the exercises before,
    Eagle & Tiger Claw Training,
    heart, lungs, opens chest,
    muscles and sinews,
    gall bladder, courage, confidence

10 - Father and Son Together
    Fa-Jing
    “Again the nature of exploding force and the resultant force itself are quite different from the other methods of Fa-Jing. Herein lies the richness of training methods in our school. The force here is both consolidated and flowing. This exercise sends energy flowing not just to the arms but also to the legs.”

11 - Shoot Spear at Mystical Gate
    heart, lungs, opens chest,
    “It also makes a practitioner confident and courageous. It roots him to the ground, with a sense of solidness, while flowing >> energy is being exploded out.”

12 - Green Dragon Charges at Face
    reducing the 5 gates to less gates,
    “This exercise also radiant with health, vitality and mental clarity, and promotes longevity. Although these are holistic benefits, this exercise is particularly effective in realizing these benefits.”

13 - Hungry Tiger Charges at Prey
    Eagle & Tiger Claw Training,
    Opens the lungs,
    liver, anger,
    sadness,
    confidence,
    sinews and muscles,
    “and enables a practitioner to be youthful even when he reaches advanced age.”

14 - Iron Bull Ploughs Earth
    kidneys,
    strengthens the waist and thus improves agility,
    combat application in ground fighting,
    Like the exercise above, it gives youthfulness irrespective of age.

15 - Open Window to Look at Moon
    stretching of the side meridians, longevity,
    kidneys and waist

16 - Old Monk takes off Shoes
    kidneys,
    liver, anger,
    leg flexibility,
    supplementary exercise for the Art of Lightness

17 - Night guard tests sea
    longevity,
    balance (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual),
    agility and flexibility,
    poise and confidence

18 - Swallow Flies through Clouds
    freedom,
    balance (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual),
    flexibility and agility
    “If one practices this Swallow exercise and the Night Guard exercise regularly, he will still be youthful and agile when he grows old. Considering that many elderly persons are slow and clumsy, this is good advice.”

Enjoy the list and enjoy your practice!

Best wishes,
    o\

Leo
    Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

That's a great list!
    Thank you Leo Sisook and thank you Sigung for reviewing it!

I was actually looking at the different Chi Kung sets last week, thinking that a list of benefits for the 18 Lohan Arts would be a nice task for 2013....
    eh voilà you've done it !

Best regards
    Andrea
    Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
    Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Super, thank you, Leo, and thank you, Sigung. Reminds me of some forms to add to my practice.

Andrew
      Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Awesome, thank you very much!

The 18 Lohan Arts are great. Every time I practise another exercise, I think "Wow, this one's cool, too" .

With a smile,
        Steffen
        Our beloved Grandmaster has made it very simple for us:

Don‘t worry,
        don‘t intellectualize,
        just enjoy your practice.

May all beings be released from all suffering!

Comment

Wow, this is great Leo. Thank you

Thank you Sifu for being so kind to share with us this amazing gift of the 18 Lohan Arts with us.

Best regards,
          Claude
          Love is wonderful, because anyone with love in his heart wants to see everyone in bliss, everyone healthy and everyone availing freedom. This is the state of a man who considers the world as his family. Such are the wise man, the great souls. (Shri Shantananda Saraswati)

Comment

Thank you!!! Awesome compilation.

~ David
            Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post this, I will be saving this for future reference.
              -Chris

Comment

Great compilation and amazing exercises

Thank you Leo, your contribution is deeply appreciated.

I remember learning these arts in the beautiful Blue Mountain in Costa Rica. The environment there is magic and the temple is splendid, the 18 Lohan Arts forms are powerful and and deep. I very much enjoyed them.
                Though for daily training I still use Lohan Hands.
                .•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`°irene°´¯`•.¸¸. ´¯`•.

---------------------------------------
                “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.”
                Hafiz

Comment

18 Lohan Art ( LA ) and Sinew Metamorphosis (SM)

Thank you brother Leo for the scholarly effort .

" Reverse hanging on double hooks " is the only pattern from 18 LA that i've personally learnt from Sifu and sometimes use it as alternative technique to " Golden Dragon Taps on Earth " from SM to activate the phenomenal big universal chi flow .

Best wishes to All.
                  Damian Kissey
                  Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                  www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Dear Leo,

Thank you, this list is wonderful!

Sifu transmitted the 18 Lohan Arts here last year and it was fantastic.

I have taught it during the year at my own regular classes and many of the students found 'Golden Leopard trains Claws' superb for becoming more courageous and overcoming fears.

Thank you again and deepest appreciation to Sifu also for continuing to share such wonders with us.

Smile from the Heart,
                    Joan
                    Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
                    GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                    ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
                    THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear family,

I am glad that the list was already helpful.

Thank you for your replies and of course a big thank you to Sifu again for reviewing and completing the list.

So, what is your favourite exercise of this beautiful set?

Best wishes,
                      o\

Leo
                      Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Dear Siheng,

Thanks for asking these questions. Very interesting that some patterns are beneficial for the Art of Lightness!

Comment

Dear Leo Sisookgung, dear family,

I would like to answer your question:

Originally posted by Leo Shaolin View Post
                          So, what is your favourite exercise of this beautiful set?
                          Personally, I really appreciate all the patterns of this great set.

If I was pressed to choose just one favorite exercise, at the moment it would be "Lohan Worships Buddha".

Not only does it give me internal force and agility, but it also opens the heart and povides the opportunity to practise gratitute towards all past and present masters who have so kindly transmitted these arts to us.

I find this very important and useful .

So, what about our other family members? Which exercise do you prefer?

Thank you very much!

With warm regards,
                          Steffen
                          Our beloved Grandmaster has made it very simple for us:

Don‘t worry,
                          don‘t intellectualize,
                          just enjoy your practice.

May all beings be released from all suffering!

Comment

Dear Steffen Sijatsoon,
                            Please correct me if I should have chosen the wrong adress! This shows how BIG the Wahnam Germany family is.

Thank you for your wonderful explanation why "Lohan Worships Buddha" is your pattern of choice. It is indeed a great exercise which enhances the chi flow a lot. So it is a great activator for self manifested chi movement.

I also love (most of) the 18 techniques. For me it's much harder to choose from them than from Sinew Metamorphosis where I found my 2 favourites long ago.

The exercise "Open window to look at the moon" has a special sentimental meaning to me, because of a very nice occurance at the course where I learned it:

Sifu told us to follow his movements and to perform the exercise on the form level only. While my mind was still occupied with catching the movement correctly, I finished the very first performance. Sije Irene and I started laughing simultaneously. We looked at each other smilingly, both knowing we had the same reason for our giggling. It was because of the tremendous chi flow generated from only the form level, without being in a chi kung state of mind at all.

I also enjoy "Reverse Hanging on Double Hooks" very much, as the gernerated force manifests immediately in a quick rising of the arms after letting go. I love it when exercises show immediate results and manifestations, so I guess this is my pattern of choice from the 18 Lohan Art.

I'm looking forward to the other family members' favourite exercises too!

Best wishes,
                            o\

Leo
                            Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Thank you, Leonard, this is really a great list!

Comment

Working...
                              X