Tattoos and Piercings for Health and Energy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoos and Piercings for Health and Energy

I usually try to find the answers to these things on my own, but this one has stumped me so far.

I understand that piercings have an effect similar to constant acupuncture on the piercing site, and have seen many differing opinions. I, personally, have two ear piercings in my left ear, and I think one is in a point related to eyesight. Neither bother me in any way, and I don't think they help in any way.

Although I did lose a lot of weight a very short time after getting them, I am confident this is a direct result of diet changes and a vast increase in daily exercise, rather than a result of piercings.

I have heard tales of pirates piercing the eye point on both ears to gain better scouting ability, Indian women piercing the nose and ear for increased sexual prowess, and even of tattoos that, in conjunction with intention and some form of qigong, provided its wearer with invulnerability and near-instant healing capability.

In addition to this, there are stories of women fixing menstrual cramps with small tattoos around the dan tien. Do such tattoos operate on the same principle as acupuncture and the mentioned piercings, or is there some other medical theory at work here?

Tattoos & Piercings for Imbalance & Disruption of Energy Flow

Nice questions Alex

On the perspective of Chinese Medicine, tattoos and piercings can influence the flow of energy within the body. "Influence the flow of energy" means that it can act on the physiological/pathological processes of the living being, i.e in a positive or negative way.

Tattoos and piercings are not highly regarded in the Chinese medicine tradition, as they can easily disrupt the correct flow of some meridians, which in return go through their relative organs ... in other words by adding a piercing in the wrong place at the wrong time one can increase (to some extent) the imbalance of the current condition.

In Chinese medicine there are sometimes the usage of provisional 'on the spot' needles. The points are CAREFULLY selected by a PROFESSIONAL therapist according to a PARTICULAR DIAGNOSIS and are subject to be withdrawn after a CERTAIN TIME.

That said, you would be interested to know that, for instance, it is forbidden to puncture the navel, yet many girlies like to put a permanent piercing there. The implication regarding the Ren Mai (Conception Vessel) are not without consequences. As I write this, it also comes back to my mind that my dermatology teacher (one of the world-reknown expert on the subject) mentionned that the onset of some skin diseases like psoriasis can be trigerred by piercings.

Personally, I would therefore not recommand piercings nor tattoos.

Best regards,

Maxime
    Last edited by Maxime; 7 April 2012, 09:20 AM.

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

What is about ear piercing? even the "normal" one ... I have three, for many years - I didn't know about meridians or ear acupuncture then.
      ... alles, alles, alles ist doch auf Liebe aufgebaut ..." (Ellen Auerbach, 1997)

Comment

I don't think the 'normal' ear piercing is problematic. My wife has some and I didn't recommand her to change.

I would be much more reserved regarding the 'string' of ear piercings that take over all the external side of the ear though. There are more 'active' points in that area.

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Thank you, Siheng - good news, since I like wearing crystal stones ...
          ... alles, alles, alles ist doch auf Liebe aufgebaut ..." (Ellen Auerbach, 1997)

Comment

Very nice answer. My next question, I suppose, is to what extent can a tattoo or piercing affect energy flow in the system. Obviously, the effects of a piercing can be counteracted by removing it, but a tattoo is a bit more problematic. Does piercing have a larger effect than tattooing?

I would imagine that if the effect is minimal, it would be relatively easy to counteract with qigong (if the effect is negative, that is). I have to also wonder if emotion plays any part in the effects of a tattoo. For instance, if a tattoo is regarded with reverence by the person wearing it (holy symbols, a symbol of attainment like in the brands shaolin tradition, etc) would the negative effects be lessened?

Comment

http://wongkiewkit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6262 may be of relevance
              Sifu Andrew Barnett
              Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
              Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
              Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

I almost got a big fierce looking tiger on my back when I was like 19, but decided against it when I got into magick around the same time. I intuitively knew it would be bad for me on the grounds that it would start to lock me into the archetype of the Tiger. Symbolism is a powerful thing.

What are your views on the archetypes behind tattoos drawing those forces into us? As well as creating karmic ties, etc?
                Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

My personal opinion is that, although the ink in the tattoo may not have much effect, either positive or negative, the emotion behind it will always lend a massive amount of power to its effect.

Strong positive emotions about the symbols within a person's own tattoos will always affect them positively, and any negative emotions at all will always affect them negatively. I'm not sure anyone can be completely neutral about something like a tattoo.

My view is simple: Every decision is just as life altering as that of whether or not to get a tattoo, because how you live every minute is how you live your entire life. I recently got a tattoo to remind me to practice reiki, which has in turn helped me get more consistent in my qigong practice. Even if the negative effects from a tattoo were large, the larger positive effects of constantly being reminded to heal myself are far greater.

Comment

Working...
                  X