Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Shaolin Wahnam Instructors: Should I Train Inside ? (Re: Dusty winds of S. Ana)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Shaolin Wahnam Instructors: Should I Train Inside ? (Re: Dusty winds of S. Ana)

I got up around 6 AM this morning and I notice something. The wind is very dusty, dry and I smell smoke in the air.

This is probably due to the fact that I live in Orange County area and not far from where I live there was wild fires going on. (You probably saw it on the news: it's the Grand Prix and Waterman Fire in San Bernandino)

Because of the above situation, I decided to train inside. I have few questions regarding this:

* Should I leave the door and windows open ? I am afraid that if I leave them open, the dusts might come in. However, If I don't I won't get air circulation....
    * My Apartment is carpeted. Is this alright ? The reason I ask is because Sifu Wong told my parents not to train in carpeted areas because of the dusts.
    * I have a central AC and a ceiling Van. Should I turn both or one of them on so I get more air circulation ?

Thanks in advance for the answer

PS: I try to find a park today to practice, but the situation is the same. I guess the Santa Ana winds cover my whole area.
    "Franciskus, Open Your Chest" Sifu Wong (Intensive Kungfu Course 11/23 -11/29/04)

Do the best you can with the situation.

Ideally, we should all be practicing outside with a waterfall in the foreground, a mountain in the background, and fragrant flowers all around. I'm still looking for a place like that. In the meantime, I do the bulk of my practice around 207th street and Broadway.

When practicing indoors, it's usually best to leave the windows open. However, your situation with the dust is unusual. I'm not sure, but I would say that the A/C is a better option to help filter the air.

As for the carpeting, it's true. Carpets are dirty. They gather and hold dirt and dust and god knows what else, especially in most American homes where people walk all over them with their filthy shoes. I hate them.

But despite my pseudo-Asian anal-retentive hygienic quirks, I would still practice in a carpeted room if that were my only choice. I'd vacuum the crap out of the carpet, but otherwise, I'd just make the best of the situation and not worry about it.

Sifu Anthony Korahais
    www.FlowingZen.com
    (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Sifu has kindly answered many of my questions over time, but I try to be conscious that he has many students and non-students who he can help by answering their questions, and I don't want to take up more than my fair share of his time, hence I thought I would first search, and then ask, the forum a couple of the questions that I have had for a while.

In some hotels in some countries, the windows do not open. (And there might not necessarily be air-con either). Is it better to not train at all, than to train in such a room (especially if you are going to be in the room after you train?)

I could only find one other thread about this topic:

The reason I attached my question to this one is it was implied earlier that in an area near a dust-storm it would be better to practise indoors and not open the window, than practise outdoors. This was quite some time ago, I thought the advice now might be that it is better not to practise at all?

Comment

Dear Brother

If you can find a better spot (sometimes in hotels there is an outdoor area or nearby park) it will be great. But if you can't and as this is only a temporary hotel location I would just enjoy the training and not worry about it. That's what I do, when I travel. You can also keep the Chi Flow more gentle and focus more on clearing when you are home again, if you are worried about too much "bad Chi" in the room.

Best regards
        Andrea
        Last edited by Andrea; 3 August 2015, 10:58 AM.
        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

If I end up in a hotel room with windows that don't open, I can't change to another room with windows that do open and there isn't an outdoor area available, I will practice in my room and then prop the door open for a while. Turning on the A/C or a fan will also help.
          Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew R View Post
            If I end up in a hotel room with windows that don't open, I can't change to another room with windows that do open and there isn't an outdoor area available, I will practice in my room and then prop the door open for a while.
            Never thought of that. But I wondered was it bad to send bad chi out into the corridor among other guests who do not have chi kung to clear it.

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
            You can also keep the Chi Flow more gentle and focus more on clearing when you are home again, if you are worried about too much "bad Chi" in the room.
            Yes bad chi was my worry. I sometimes wonder if I did myself a bit of damage by not practising with the window open early on in my training.

Comment

Hello Paul,

You can also take a shower afterwards. You will be out of the room that way. The bad chi won't travel to other guests via the hallway. You need not worry about that.

Hope to see you soon again, would be great! We can drink to the best Dutchman ever, Louis van Gaal !

Best wishes,
              Roeland
              www.shaolinwahnam.nl
              www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

As far as I've experienced I don't believe so. There's generally enough open space in the corridors that it will dissipate.
                Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew R View Post
                  As far as I've experienced I don't believe so. There's generally enough open space in the corridors that it will dissipate.
                  How about in our own room - if the usual advice is leave a window open and leave the room for 15-20 mins afterwards, how long should we leave the room for if the window is not open? I guess leaving the room though would mean we couldn't leave the door open!

Originally posted by wooden shoes View Post
                  You can also take a shower afterwards. You will be out of the room that way.
                  I've used that tactic before, but that was when I had a window open, I figured the room would be clear when I came out of the shower. But if the window was not open during that time, then I think it wouldn't be clear?

The last time it happened, was the day before a course, I decided to just go over the sets and sequences for the course at the form level, without doing any stances or chi kung work, no chi flow etc. I calculated that every other day I would have an opportunity to practise in the course venue itself.

The bad chi won't travel to other guests via the hallway. You need not worry about that.
                  Ok thank you.

Hope to see you soon again, would be great! We can drink to the best Dutchman ever, Louis van Gaal !
                  Yes I agree! When? I remember Michael Durkin Siheng once asked us at dinner what sportsmen did we think demonstrated strong shen. I think we came up with some boxers, but a few of us agreed on Eric Cantona. Well I have often thought this about Louis Van Gaal. Doesn't he show the attributes of a general? I think he'd make a good kungfu master

Comment

Working...
                  X