Cancer treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancer treatment

This is a useful article to show how researchers in China and USA have been finding useful links between Qigong (Chi Kung) and good outcomes for people with cancer.

Recent joint studies from China and the United States also show that qigong can help cancer patients live longer. ...

"We did a survey in 1993 with 1,500 cancer patients and discovered that after five years of practising Goulin qigong, there was about 85 per cent recovery rate. In 2003, we did another comprehensive study and found that out of 7,000 cancer sufferers, more than 60 per cent of them survived for more than five years," ...

Wang Changwei is the researcher behind a new study programme sponsored by the US-based National Cancer Institute. Her first phase of research centred on those who regularly practise qigong and it showed that this group of practitioners have a lower rate of cancer reoccurrence than others.

She said: "From our current study, regardless of quality of life, exercise ability or health conditions, those who practised Guolin qigong are far better off than those who don't exercise qigong.
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...010774/1/.html

With metta,

Barry
    Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
    Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
    Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
    UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
    sigpic

Treatment of Cancer

Here is another useful paper. It is a meta-analysis (i.e. looking at many research papers) of Qigong therapy as a cancer treatment.

Abstract: Research studies of Qigong therapy for cancer for the past 20 years in China were reviewed from three different categories: clinical study on human cancer patients, in-vitro study of cancer cells, and in-vivo study of cancer with Qigong therapy, in an attempt to understand the role Qigong therapy plays in cancer treatment. There is a lot of evidence suggesting that Qigong therapy has an inhibitory effect on can- cer growth, both in vitro and in vivo studies, as well as in clinical observation (often there was room for improvement in these studies and some studies require replication in order to verify their findings). Qigong therapy for cancer is an area that is often neglected by mainstream medicine and research, and it should be seriously examined and considered as an important supplement to conventional cancer treatment.

A Review of Qigong Therapy for Cancer Treatment, Kevin CHEN and Raphael YEUNG, Journal of International Society of Life Information Science (ISLIS). Vol 20 (2). 2002
    http://www.qigonginstitute.org/html/...wQG4Cancer.pdf

With metta,

Barry
    sigpic

Comment

Therapy for Cancer

In a Random Controlled Trial published in 2010 the study showed positive effects of Qigong on the quality of life of cancer patients. So, even if they don't get better, people seem to have less fatigue, an improved mood and reduced side effects.

Patients and methods: One hundred and sixty-two patients with a range of cancers were recruited. QOL and fatigue were measured by Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy—General and Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy—Fatigue, respectively, and mood status by Profile of Mood State. The inflammatory marker serum C-reactive protein (CRP) was monitored serially.
      Conclusions: This study indicates that MQ can improve cancer patients’ overall QOL and mood status and reduce specific side-effects of treatment. It may also produce physical benefits in the long term through reduced inflammation.

Impact of Medical Qigong on quality of life, fatigue, mood and inflammation in cancer patients: a randomized controlled trial, B. Oh,1,2,3* P. Butow,2 B. Mullan,2 S. Clarke,1,3 P. Beale,1,3 N. Pavlakis,1,4 E. Kothe,5 L. Lam,6 and D. Rosenthal, Ann Oncol. 2010 March; 21(3): 608–614.
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2826100/

With metta,

Barry
      sigpic

Comment

The studies by themselves are excellent to the extent that they show efficacy to a point, they are beneficial and the individual shows objective improvement per their disease state. The main problems are as follows:
        1. They rarely mention the name of the qigong method used
        2. The term "medical qigong" is extremely vague
        3. They rarely menty the frequency, intensity and duration of intervention. As a matter of practice, this is purposely left out. A few studies do delineate this.
        Similar studies with allopathic intervention (usually drugs) tells you the dose, how long taken and an objective outcome, ususlly positive or negative.

To reiterate, research tells us good things about qigong but much information is left out as if overstating its effects and often leaving out necessary information in clarifyting if other methods (usually allopathic) are co-administered with qigong.

Comment

Yes, they show efficacy. Fortunately, the people benefitting from Chi Kung are attending to the benefits rather than the methodological "problems".

Of course, everyone is free to decide what and who they pay attention to.

Best,

Barry
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barrys View Post
            Yes, they show efficacy. Fortunately, the people benefitting from Chi Kung are attending to the benefits rather than the methodological "problems".

Of course, everyone is free to decide what and who they pay attention to.

Best,

Barry
            I actually have to agree - a little - with "other guy" up there. It would be helpful to have a greater expansion on what type or to what extent these people are practising Chi Kung.

Although, it may be a case where the studies come out of China and saying something offhand such as "the patients practiced qigong" is equivalent to saying "the patients practiced jogging" here in America. So that, just like the average American knows what jogging is and could travel to the nearest fitness center to discuss some good practices for it, a Chinese person could do the same with Chi Kung.

So while I agree with that other person that more details of the Chi Kung would be helpful, it's probably because I'm American and Chi Kung is still "exotic" and out-of-the-norm enough that the phrase "practiced gigong" doesn't fully satisfy me.

Comment

Alex,

Have you read any of those links? If you follow the last one there are seven paragraphs devoted to describing the intervention.

Best,

Barry
              sigpic

Comment

"The MQ intervention program was a modified traditional Qigong program, developed and delivered by the first author (BO), an experienced MQ instructor. The instructor is a Chinese medicine practitioner with >20 years experience of Qigong who trained in traditional Qigong in Korea, Daoist Qigong in China and Buddhist Qigong in Australia and has received clinical training in mind–body medicine at the Harvard Medical School. The program was modified from traditional Qigong practice by the instructor to specifically target the needs of cancer patients to control emotions and stress as well as to improve physical function. Each session consisted of 15-min discussion of health issues, 30-min gentle stretching and body movement in standing postures to stimulate the body along the energy channels, 15-min movement in seated posture (Dao Yin exercise for face, head, neck, shoulders, waist, lower back, legs, and feet), 30-min meditation including breathing exercises on the basis of energy channel theory in Chinese medicine, including natural breathing, chest breathing, abdominal breathing, breathing for energy regulation, and relaxation and feeling the Qi (nature’s/cosmic energy) and visualization."

No, I certainly had not.

And I'm glad you told me where to look, as I had a heck of a time bringing myself to read the scientific language enough to find what I was looking for...

Sorry for compounding the ignorance!

Comment

Alex,

Glad you got something helpful out of it.

Best wishes,

Barry
                  sigpic

Comment

Whatever kind of fantastic results a research about qi gong brings, the problem remains that health insurance companies, hospitals and at the end the state do not know how to make profit out of it.

Comment

Mr David Langforf stated
                      I guess I'm imagining the many profitable benefits I am getting.

prof·it·a·ble/ˈpräfitəbəl/Adjective:
                      (of a business or activity) Yielding profit or financial gain.
                      Beneficial; useful.
                      He may be the best person to help with the rollout of such a programme so all can profit from this wonderful endeavour.

I was absolute wrong on the matter so I wholeheartedly apologize for not realizing this kind of profit of which he speaks. My apologies!
                      This was uncalled for on my part!

Comment

Originally posted by yeniseri View Post
                        Mr David Langforf stated

He may be the best person to help with the rollout of such a programme so all can profit from this wonderful endeavour.

I was absolute wrong on the matter so I wholeheartedly apologize for not realizing this kind of profit of which he speaks. My apologies!
                        This was uncalled for on my part!
                        Wrong thread mate.

The place to discuss the applications of and share experiences with Shaolin Chi Kung Healing Techniques and Skills
                        Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

I read Tim Ferris' 4 Hour Body some time ago, but as many of you who have read his controversial book would have realised, the book has to be read like a menu rather than cover to cover, so I never really got to some parts of hte book. And then, there is the companion blog, and I recently read an article about cancer treatment.

One thing that the 4 Hour Book highlighted to my delight is a phenomenon that seems self-evident but not often articulated: No one ever needs to market, promote or otherwise hard-sell green vegetables and fruits (unless a country like New Zealand wants to promote its kiwi exports). Locally sourced greens have no advocate and quietly wait in the produce corner of supermarkets.

It is processed foods and big-"farm" (CAFO) meats that need to be extensviely promoted in advertisements. Green vegetables from the nearby farm don't get a lot of subsidies or deliver high profit margins. We are lucky that they are still in demand.

In the same way, there is very little need to conduct studies on the benefits of vegetables and fruits, since they have been been the stuff of folk wisdom for thousands of years. If everyone just eats more of the green stuff, and less processed junk and meat, we would take care of a lot of problems.
                          百德以孝为先
                          Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the links, they are very usefull.

Wuji,
                            I agree, processed foods and a lack of fresh friut and vegies, is the reason for many health problems.

A friend and health practioner, once told me the biggest killers of society are the 3 S's Sugar, Starch and Stress.

I am gratefull I have Qi Gong.

Best Wishes,
                            Steve.

Comment

Barry Siheng, thank you for the links. It seems that the first one is dead (channel news asia) though.

Comment

Working...
                              X