Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring the Glory of Kungfu

Dear Wahnam Kungfu practitioners,

This thread is dedicated to the topic of sparring competitions.

Even though our international school has been active for a long time now, not many so far have entered local or national competitions or taken advantage of the specialized high-level training available for us.

I'm sure you already know, but it is appropriate to remind that we have the excellent Warrior Project events with Kai Siheng, plus there are special courses conducted by Sifu Wong (Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit) teaching kungfu against other styles.

I know very well that Sifu would like to see us not only entering sparring competitions, but winning them.

This is in keeping with one of the original, ongoing aims of Shaolin Wahnam: Restoring the glory of kungfu.
    In other words, reminding the world that traditional kungfu stances, footwork, techniques, strategies and force training are not a liability in combat, but a great benefit.

Of course, following the Shaolin way, we should not just enter competitions and hope for the best, but train well to win.

So what options do we have for training?

Warrior Projects with Sifu Kai Uwe Jettkandt
    Kai Siheng is a international sparring champion with vast fighting experience. We are very lucky to have access to his teaching, so I would strongly recommend people to attend the Warrior Project weekends, wherever they are organized.

Choy-Li-Fatt and Kungfu Againts Other Styles -courses
    One of the main reasons Sifu is offering the above courses at the next Winter Camp, is because they are an ideal combination for those interested in cross-style sparring - with or without gloves.

The "30 opponent" training method
    This is a training procedure devised by Sifu Wong to obtain skills and experience to win against opponents of any style. It is strictly meant for Shaolin Wahnam students, so if you're interested in training for competitions, ask your Sifu or instructor about it.

This thread is open to discussion on the topic. There are many instructors in Shaolin Wahnam with experience in competitions and cross-style sparring. I would like to invite them to contribute from their experiences. Students are also very welcome to post their questions and observations.

Personally, I am dedicated to training well and doing my part in making this shared aim a reality.

Se let's make our Sifus proud, shall we?

Best wishes,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Very cool!

Back when I was a Junior in high school I started training with my friend and a friend of his, a local Pro MMA fighter for quite awhile until my friend went into the Navy, after he got out we still sparred a bit, but never training with the intent to compete and go pro. To this day I feel regret never actually entering a competition, I hope when I reach the level necessary in Shaolinquan I can start entering competitions, it's really a life long dream for me.
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

We can all play our part...

Thank you Markus for creating this post and your dedication to the arts. I myself am very much looking forward to being part of both your wonderful Wintercamp and the Warrior Project in the New Year. I going to be upfront in my post here so don’t take offence anyone, it is sincerely meant as a way to help you wake up and see what’s on offer to you.

‘Restoring the Glory of Shaolin Kung Fu is something we can all play a part in’

Over the years of training and teaching a number of students have said to me that whilst they enjoy training Kung Fu they have no interest in competitions. They want to learn how to defend themselves but not enter the arena.
      So I think it’s worth mentioning that even if you yourself do not intend to enter competitions, training with someone in our school that does want to will help achieve the restoration. We can all play our part.

Another way to help restore the glory is to use this space to discuss openly what has worked and what hasn’t in your sparring sessions. All members of Shaolin Wahnam are open hearted and open minded, so there is no need to feel you can’t express yourself and experiences, win or lose. Of course it’s good to hear the success stories, but there is also so much to learn from reality training when you realised that your technique did not work as your thought.

Last night I had a meeting a friend, who has trained with me for 8 years and who personally has over 30 years experience, we discussed the difference between normal MMA training and ours. It became clear that what we have is a unique training approach and methodology to successfully spar against other styles and levels in a safe way without ego or aggression. We have both searched for such a place before without success, and what’s amazing is that we have it right on our doorsteps and not being fully utilized.

What I believe is sometimes lacking is the progression from form, force and skill at a slower pace to form, force and skill at full speed and intent.
      Of course it would be foolish for someone to go from form, force and speed at a slow pace expecting it to work at full speed…and that’s why we have our methodology. Make sure you take advantage of the training facilities you have, I really do believe they are unique.

Also, for Shaolin Wahnam students in the U.K please take advantage of contacting myself and/or Sifu Mark Appleford to arrange additional sparring sessions and training if you are looking to go into competitions.

Yes, let’s make Sifu proud and train diligently, as per our 10 Shaolin Laws
      Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
      A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

To this day I feel regret never actually entering a competition, I hope when I reach the level necessary in Shaolinquan I can start entering competitions, it's really a life long dream for me.
        - David, this is great to hear. If you wish to take advantage of the opportunity of "Choy-Li-Fatt" and "Kungfu Against Other Styles" training at the next Winter Camp, contact me via PM and we can figure out way for you to attend.

I can also wholeheartedly recommend traveling for a Warrior Project weekend - it is more than worth it.

It became clear that what we have is a unique training approach and methodology to successfully spar against other styles and levels in a safe way without ego or aggression. We have both searched for such a place before without success, and what’s amazing is that we have it right on our doorsteps and not being fully utilized.
        - Thanks for highlighting this, Tim. Sometimes it's easy to take our methodology for granted. It is really something else to be able to engage in vigorous, fast and forceful sparring without any aggression or injury.

I often like to look at the faces of people at Wahnam courses after a vigorous sparring session. All smiles and lots of energy; no sulks, tiredness, resentment or cringes from injuries.

This would be really something to bring to cross-style sparring and competitions - and this is what this thread is all about.

Keep on posting.

Best wishes,
        Markus Kahila
        Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Like minded martial artists.

Very soon there will be some new and very exciting classes opening up in the U.K which is open to not only Shaolin Wahnam members but also like minded martial artists from any style who would like to learn how to use their martial arts effectively in sparring without fear of being hurt, aggression or losing face.

I will post more on this after the weekend under a new thread. But one thing you can be sure of is it will also help restore the glory of Shaolin Kung Fu.

With open heart
          Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
          A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Sifu's views on "Restoring the Glory of Kungfu"

Dear family,

Grandmaster Wong has commented on the topic of "Restoring the Glory of Kungfu" at the "20 Questions for the Grandmaster" -thread.

Best wishes,
            Markus Kahila
            Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear family,

Part 2 of Sifu's answer is now up at the "20 Questions..." -thread.

Best wishes,
              Markus Kahila
              Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

A Message from the Grandmaster

Dear family,

If you haven't read it already, below is the Grandmaster's recent message to all Wahnam students (reproduced from the shaolin.org website).

-- sections relevant to this thread are highlighted --

A MESSAGE FROM THE GRANDMASTER

Thank you to everyone in our Shaolin Wahnam Family for making 2011 a great year. Let us make 2012 greater.

Preserving genuine chi kung, Shaolin Kungfu and Taijiquan is great. We can safely say that these arts will not be lost to posterity. Enjoying and benefiting from these arts is great. We are grateful to have good health, vitality, longevity, mental clarity and spiritual joys.

Restoring the glory of kungfu is greater. Helping others relieve suffering and overcome so-called incurable diseases is greater. These will be the themes for 2012.

To realize these themes we have set up a Free-Sparring Competition Committee to help our students participate in and win free sparring competitions, and we have trained more chi kung healers with the special aim of helping people overcome so-called incurable diseases.

But if you are not interested in free-sparring competitions or not a trained chi kung healer, how do you realize these two themes to make 2012 greater?

If you have practiced Shaolin Kungfu or Wahnam Taijiquan for more than a year, in 2012 you should aim to defeat at least one black belt of any martial art comfortably in uncontrolled, full contact sparring. If you follow our 30-Opponent programme, it won't be difficult for you to defeat a black belt. This programme is a close secret. Ask your sifu about it. If you have practiced for less than a year, aim to defeat at least any one other martial artist who has trained about the same time as you.

If you practice only chi kung, in 2012 get at lease one deserving person to join your sifu's class or introduce at least one person suffering from a so-called disease to consult one of our chi kung healers. These persons must be deserving; don't waste time on stubborn sceptics.

If you can just do this, you would have made 2012 a greater year.

-- Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

What I wish to add to Sifu's important message is that anyone who wishes to follow the instructions and do their part in realizing these aims is not alone.

In regards to following Sifu's instructions in "restoring the glory of kungfu", you can at any point contact one or more of the following people appointed to help in realizing this task:

There will be amazing opportunities next year for training cross-style sparring and competitive fighting. Probably the highest level one will be hosted by Grandmaster Wong himself at the 2012 Shaolin Winter Camp, held Jan 9th to 13th in Oslo, Norway.

More details on getting the work started will follow on this thread soon.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Best wishes,
                Markus Kahila
                Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear Sisook

Honestly, you are slowly starting to drive me crazy with all that promoting for the Winter Camp 2012 ! This is the moment where I am truly grateful for the diligent practice of the Arts. It helps me to see very clearly just where my priorities currently lie and overlook this heavy pull towards the north.

Becoming a competent fighter has always been a thought that pleased me immensely (maybe a little too much for some ~.^). Just thinking about being able to demonstrate just how great the Shaolin Arts are, there is a spark that always flares up in me time and time again that cannot be extinguished, no matter how much I tried to become "more ladylike" through Chi Kung. I guess I just am a hugely competitive girl, so I do rarely want to get rid of the thrilling thought anyway.

During the last Winter Camp, we were taught a few sequences involving Choy Li Fatt in the Asking Bridge-course and I felt incredibly drawn to it. I now boldly hope that I will have the opportunity to gratefully profit from the family members, who will be attending the course, in the future. (All the while being careful to avoid a Zen slap to the face for being too eager !)

In short: I know that I am missing out BIG TIME by not going to the Winter Camp 2012 (!!), but I will use every single other excellent method that is available and the things I was already taught to, one day, become an efficient fighter and make Sigung and Sifu and all my other family members very proud.

Was that too bold? I cannot help but feel tremendously thrilled and excited when reading this thread, so I apologize for my tingly fingertips and overly enthusiastic mindset .
                  Biiiig smile from the heart and huge thanks to everybody for this entire thread! It is, time and time again, stunning just how much information is being shared this freely.

Fabienne

Comment

Dear Fabienne,

It'd be lovely to meet again at the Winter Camp and practice with you at the courses. However, I understand it's not always possible.

The art of Choy-Li-Fatt will live on in our school. You will have the opportunity to learn it later, should you wish so - after all, your Sifu is coming!

See you soon,
                    Markus Kahila
                    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

New Year's Resolutions

Dear family,

A new installment by Grandmaster Wong on Restoring the Glory of Kungfu is now up.

I think this new initiative, spearheaded by Sifu, is an important wake-up call to many Wahnam Kungfu and Taijiquan practitioners - it certainly has been for me.

In our own training, the choice is ours to what level of benefits we aim for: We can go for glass marbles, or we can go for diamonds. In fighting ability, we can strive for some basic self-defence skills, or we can aim to experience the combat efficency of the past masters. Not in theory; but in practice, in trials, and in outcome.

Which will you choose?

There is no question the 30 opponents training will be challenging. However, it will also be tremendously rewarding.

It is my wish to see as many as possible take this precious opportunity and undergo the special training. One of the hallmarks of our school is cost-efficency; why spend a lot of time on something you can achieve in less? If you can get to a very high level of combat efficency in 1 to 6 months of focused training - instead of many long-drawn years - why not go ahead and do it?

In my opinion, the true nature of Restoring the Glory of Kungfu lies in our own practice: Restoring its glory in our own attainment. At any given moment, a kungfu tradition is only as good as its practitioners. We've been given the tremendous honor to pass on genuine Shaolin Kungfu. What do we want to pass on?

In a day or so the old year will come to an end, and a new one will start. I think for a 2012 New Year's Resolution, Sifu has given us some excellent options.

And, as I said before, on this particular journey you will have a lot of help and many friends. Should you choose to join in, just contact any of the following:

Markus Kahila (Finland)
                      Tim Franklin (UK)
                      Robin Gamble (Thailand)
                      Anton Schmick (Germany)
                      Matt Fenton (USA)

Happy New Year and best wishes,
                      Markus Kahila
                      Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Markus Kahila View Post

In my opinion, the true nature of Restoring the Glory of Kungfu lies in our own practice
                        Dear Sihing,

You have hit the nail firmly on the head.

My New Year's resolutions are also going to be centred around this key point.

I think 2012 is going to be a great year

Many thanks to Sifu and the Past Masters for their inspiration!

WSS,

Andy
                        Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                        Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                        Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                        - ancient wisdom

Comment

Dear Sisook

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that Sifu will be attending the Winter Camp after all. I already left a rather bold hint that I would immediately seize the chance to learn Choy-Li-Fat from Sifu if the opportunity ever arises . Nonetheless, I am very aware of the fact that such a thing is not for me to decide. Besides, there are so many other amazing things we have already had the blessings to learn (not to mention all of the basic syllabus that still lies in store for us) that I "fled" back to the basics anyway . Gotta add some depth to all that spread, right?

If one wants to become a competent fighter, isn't it for the respective Sifu to decide if one is ready? Everything else almost seems to me as if the student wants to be smarter or rush ahead..? But that is probably a wrong perception on my part.

Shaolin greetings
                          Fabienne

Comment

If one wants to become a competent fighter, isn't it for the respective Sifu to decide if one is ready? Everything else almost seems to me as if the student wants to be smarter or rush ahead..? But that is probably a wrong perception on my part.
                            - Thanks for this comment, Fabienne - I think many may have this idea.

The point of the 30 opponent training is simply training: You're starting from where you are, and you're aiming for improvement. Starting the program doesn't mean you're trying to be smarter than the master - after all, it is the Grandmaster who has put the initiative forward.

Like Sifu said, a year of kungfu experience in our school would be enough to start. There really is no other pre-requisite than that and the sincere willingness to put in effort for good results.

However, you're very fortunate to have your Sifu nearby, so you always can - and should - consult him if you're unsure about something.

But since this initiative is an important theme for our school in 2012, I think everyone can expect the full support of their Sifus should they sincerely wish to participate.

Best wishes,
                            Markus Kahila
                            Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Warning: I just got done practicing the Triple Stretch Set

Originally posted by Danateske View Post
                              One of the areas I see students underutilize their sifu is in the area of setting personal aims and objectives. If you discuss your objectives with your sifu, she can better help you clarify, prioritize, and achieve them. Of course, if your sifu tells you that your time is better spent initially doing something else, you should respect that and understand that the "detour" is not to dissuade you from your objective. On the contrary, it will help you achieve it more cost-effectively. But you have to talk to your sifu for any of this to happen.

Sometimes your sifu might ask you to do something that seems beyond your abilities. I think many of us feel that way about the free sparring initiative. Fighting can be scary, and it would certainly be easier to not do the 30-opponent program or enter tournaments. But if we take the easy route, we won't overcome those blockages, and they will continue to affect us in daily life, whether we acknowledge their existence or not.

Luckily (as usual), we don't need to worry about these blockages or figure out ways to overcome them. Sigung has helped us tremendously by providing a method. All we have to do is have the courage to follow it and we are sure to reap the incredible benefits.

Wouldn't it feel amazing to be able to walk into any situation in daily life confident in yourself and your abilities, relaxed and calm, free of fear and doubt? That's just a part of the gift Sigung is giving us for 2012, should we have the courage to follow him.

We have it so easy. We start our training learning skills that were previously reserved for top students who had to spend years if not decades proving themselves worthy before maybe being taught them. Our grandmaster is always improving his teaching ability and spends most of the year traveling to us to teach. I could go on and on. The least we can do is trust Sigung that if he says we should do something for our own benefit, it is truly for our benefit, regardless of whether we find it easy or difficult.

This is one of the reasons I'm so excited about 2012. In 2011, we've been able to sit back and receive the Flow Method and Mind Level transmissions. All we had to do was make the effort to go learn them from Sigung and they were automatically part of our normal practice. 2012 is about "walking our talk", both as a school and as students. We can gain even greater benefits in 2012, but we're going to have to put some work in ourselves to do so.

I think everyone in Shaolin Wahnam should consider the following: Do you care about restoring the glory of kung fu? Do you really want to be a scholar-warrior or are you content to keep that as some nebulous objective that's always in the distance, out of reach? Are you ready to walk and gain the benefits yourself? Or are you content to cheer from the sideline and admire those walking?

Happy New Year! I hope to see you walking next to me in 2012.
                              Chris Didyk
                              Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Working...
                              X