"Flicking Fingers" as taught by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Flicking Fingers" as taught by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming

Interesting to see that Dr. Yang incorporates breath control while Sigung Wong does not. This description was taken from Dr. Yang's book on Yi Jing Jing:

Form 1 (Figure 2-4). Keep your hands beside your body with the palms open and facing down, fingertips pointing forward. Keep the elbows bent. Imagine pushing the palms down and lifting your fingers backward when exhaling, and relax them when inhaling. This form will build the Qi or energy at the wrist area, and your palms and wrists should feel warm after fifty repetitions.

Reproduced here with diagrams:

Best,
    Stephen

I often find in various books of Chi Kung different methods for attaining chi flow or increased force, so it has become much of the norm these days to see that Sigung teaches alternative methods to attain the goal.

When we first learnt Sinew Metamorphosis we practiced flicking fingers 49 times to generate what was an incredible amount of force. Over the years Sigung has refined much of his teaching skill and as such when we now practice it we can gain as much force in 3 or 9 flicks than we can 49. I would go as far to say that I actually generate more doing less than I do 49 times.

Some of the exercises we perform require breathing (on one level) to bring chi to the area or through certain meridians. I say on one level because at a later date an exercise can be done at the level of mind.

This is so in flicking fingers. At first you may find that externally you could see some movement. In Dr. Yang Jwing Ming case he teaches it with breathing, which could be to help the beginner to bring chi to the area. I say beginner because if your palms and wrist only feel warm after 50 repetitions then it is being practiced at a low level. Which is probably more appropriate if being taught without supervision (internet or book).

At a higher internal level flick 3 or 9 times and the whole body is filled with internal force.

Thank you for bringing up the subject, it is good to look at various methods and the results.

Best wishes
    Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
    A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCosmoz View Post
      This form will build the Qi or energy at the wrist area, and your palms and wrists should feel warm after fifty repetitions.
      Compare this to the results in Sifu's WOW course. Dr. Yang is clearly aiming at and achieving a far lower level result.
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

You know, it is interesting that I actually bought the book many years back and I did not even realise that Flicking Fingers was described therein. Thanks for the tip.

Just two quick points. One, learning an exercise as described in a book is vastly different from learning it personally from a master. This is true even for Grandmaster Wong's books and the courses that he personally conducts. Instructions in the books are often far more detailed than those given in person, and paradoxically less effective.

The second point is about breathing. Without exception, I get asked this question whenever I teach a new class or when discussing qigong with someone who has not encountered it before: "Isn't qigong about breathing?" Here's how I see it - for the beginner, don't worry about the breathing. For the intermediate to advanced student, breathing is a useful tool to unite body and mind and achieve other purposes. As for the master, he doesn't worry about the breathing.
        百德以孝为先
        Persevere in correct practice

Comment

They way that most people practice Sinew Metamorphosis is pretty different from the way that we practice it. Come to think of it, the way that most people practice Qigong, Kung Fu, and Tai Chi Chuan is pretty different from the way that we practice it.
          Sifu Anthony Korahais
          www.FlowingZen.com
          (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Hi Sifu Tim,

When we first learnt Sinew Metamorphosis we practiced flicking fingers 49 times to generate what was an incredible amount of force. Over the years Sigung has refined much of his teaching skill and as such when we now practice it we can gain as much force in 3 or 9 flicks than we can 49. I would go as far to say that I actually generate more doing less than I do 49 times.
            Here's what's odd to me:

Many years ago when I first learnt Chi Kung officially from Sifu Eugene, I tried Flicking Fingers on my own without him formally teaching me. I used the instructions from Sigung Wong's book.

After 5-10 flicks, I felt my body was overwhelmed and exploding with force. I can't ever imagine flicking 49 times.

What's strange is that I never learnt formally from Sigung Wong or Sifu Eugene, yet flicking only 5 - 10 times generated huge amounts of force. In the past, Sigung Wong had students flick 49 times to reach the same amount of force.

Strange isn't it? It's as if his new teaching methods and skills were automatically transmitted to all his students.

Best,
            Stephen

Comment

That's an interesting thought. I also believe that we all benefit from Sigung's increased teaching methods and blessings, just as people benefit from blessings and good thoughts of others. Which is why me must always try to have wholesome thoughts. Give it a try today and see if your whole day can be entirely wholesome and selfless.

Thanks Stephen for your post

Tim
              Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
              A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Relative to my own experience, Siheng Anthony has hit the nail on the head.

The way Sifu is teaching now is just in a realm all it's own as far as i
                can see.

Not to say there aren't others, but i ain't seen or heard of them yet.

Gusty

Comment

Flicking (the) fingers is an old "method" of dispersal while tonifying associated with certain "classical" Daoist yangsjhenggong/neigong systems.

It has little to do with "low" or "high" level but it is beneficial for those who may have xu lao (fatigue, low energy, pale tongue, weak pulse, lethargic, exhaistive tiredness,etc)

Comment

Originally posted by yeniseri View Post
                    Flicking (the) fingers is an old "method" of dispersal while tonifying associated with certain "classical" Daoist yangsjhenggong/neigong systems.

It has little to do with "low" or "high" level but it is beneficial for those who may have xu lao (fatigue, low energy, pale tongue, weak pulse, lethargic, exhaistive tiredness,etc)
                    As usual, you have no idea what we're talking about. You don't even know what technique we're talking about! Did you even look at the link? Do you know what Yi Jin Jing is?
                    Sifu Anthony Korahais
                    www.FlowingZen.com
                    (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Working...
                    X