Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scholar Project-Chinese Chess

Kevin_B is offline Sifu Kevin Barry - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    ... maybe we will see the 'White Horse' up the Gap of Dunloe when we visit!
    Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan and Shaolin Chi Kung classes in Dublin

http://www.taijiquan.ie/

Joan is offline Sifu Joan Browne - Chief Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Ireland

Smile Brilliant!

My Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

We have had a weekend of cannons, horses, soldiers, chariots, Ministers, Advisers and Kings!

It was simply astounding how quickly Chun Yian Siheng got us all playing Chinese chess and even more intriguing to listen as he explained some important strategies involved in play.

It is truly a fascinating game and those who attended the very first Shaolin Wahnam Chinese Chess Scholar project in Ireland have learned so much, not just for the game itself, but also strategies in life and business.

Our youngest was 12 and it varied in ages after that, the majority of the group never seeing a Chinese Chess board in their life.

Our deepest thanks to Chun Yian Siheng, you have certainly won our hearts and minds and we cannot wait for you to come back to us again.

If anybody still wishes to take part in the London course next weekend, please contact Fleur at fleur_chapman@yahoo.co.uk to secure your place.

You will be amazed how quickly you can learn the techniques and of course you deepen your skill by enjoying time playing and stategising with your family and friends in the long dark nights ahead.

Do you know what 'Horse after Cannon' means No?...............WOW..............then it is definately time to contact Fleur!!

Kevin will be along later with some photos, Thank you Kevin for being the trusted photographer!

My thanks also to everybody who took part, we will meet up again shortly and then once a month from November, to deepen skills for next years advanced course.

Happy Strategising!

Smile from the Heart,
    Joan
    Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2018 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

A magic week of Chi Kung, Internal Force and Shaolin Kungfu
    Generating Energy Flow
    18 Lohan Arts
    Internal Force
    The Shaolin Pakua set- transmitted to Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit by his Sifu -Ho Fatt Nam .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Arrow My two days as a General.

To my Wahnam Family,

Wow, that was everything I hoped it would be and more.

There was such a varied range of attendees on this course, from people who had dabbled in chess to ones who did not know how to place a single piece. The speed with which we were all up and running was wonderful to see and we were playing our first games in no time at all.

I have been teaching myself Chinese Chess (Xiangqi) for about a year and have occasionally attempted to play an opponent online. The last game had my opponent typing "Please play faster" before getting tired of my efforts and logging off As much as I thought I knew, the course has corrected many bad habits or wrong knowledge that I had picked up along the way (my movement of the horse was way off!).

After lunch we were stuck into strategy, the Art of War and the interrelationship between them and our daily lives.

The chess games became more competitive - now we had plans! It was not like the chess league I remember from school with everyone sitting like gargoyles in silence. This room was full of laughter and good natured competition and the occasional shout of "Jiang Jun!" or at least someones rough pronunciation of it.

Day two was taking things to the next level and we delved deeper into the strategy. The games that day had grown very interesting (and entertaining!). If you want to know how much. Sifu Joan had a beef roast in the oven and the aroma was flowing in full force to the room full of people who had been concentrating for a few hours since breakfast. Did we all make a move to the kitchen when it was lunch time? Are you crazy!? we had battles to win and attacks to avoid!

The course ended with a standing ovation for Sipak and much recounting among the attendees of who did this and that. For me, on a personal level, it was inspiring to know that we were all commanders practicing the very art that the legendary generals of ancient China had practiced before the epic battles we all know and love.

The next day I went online again and played a Chinese opponent. And, although I lost, I was not so easy an opponent to defeat. I knew what strategies they were using and was prepared. At several points during the game there was a notable pause in my opponent while they tried to think around the challenge I had created. Not bad to say my last game didn't even finish!

I would like to thank Chun Yian Sipak for sharing some of his wonderful knowledge and skill of this fantastic art. To Sifu Joan for organising this course and the wonderful meals which were a highlight in themselves. Also to my brothers and sisters who I much look forward to playing against the next time we meet.

Safe journey to Sipak and greetings to all those attending the London course, you are going to have an amazing two days - perhaps I will see you for a game online, or even better - in person!

WSS,

Pete.

PS - I will have a set with me when I come to Malaysia in April, it would be great to fit in a few games with my Wahnam Family.
    Last edited by Peter Clayton; 4th October 2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Peter Clayton
    Shaolin Wahnam Ireland
    "Though one man may conquer in battle a thousand men a thousand times over, it is he who conquers himself that is the greatest of conquerors". - Dhammapada.

The "Chi"nese Chess

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I always write after a course and this time will not be different. As always, Wahnam Courses are so enriching that exceed my expectations.

It has been a while since I don't practice western chess. It has been so because I don't particularly feel attracted by it. But, with Chinese Chess, situation is very different. It is much more fun and much more realistic.

As all the Wahnam courses, they are full of philosophy, advices and strategies to apply on real life too. I made a list with the ones that impressed me most:

- Situations can always be turned around. In just one move, one can change from an adverse to a favorable situation. The ones in the course had the opportunity to experience that when playing with Chun Yian Siheng. In my case, in one of the games, I was in a favorable position and Chun Yian Siheng gave three advices to my opponent and I lost the game. That taught me a lot. If one knows how, almost any situation can be changed.

- Don't waste unnecessary movements. Like in Zen, it is better to be simple, direct and effective. Again, playing with Chun Yian Siheng, I learned this valuable lesson. I was making a short movement and then, I moved the same chess piece again. Chun Yian Siheng told me: "You did two movements to arrive here. That could be done in only one move. You wasted one movement and you gave that advantage to the adversary."

- Have a whole picture of what is happening. Like in life, one tends to focus only on one perspective or view. It is easy to forget that many other facts can affect the game. One chess piece placed on the back can change everything in only a couple of moves. Again, Chun Yian Siheng demonstrated me this precious advice within the game. Once, I was so focused on my attack that I forgot about the rest of the chess pieces. In a couple of movements, I lost the game. I didn't pay too much attention of what Chun Yian Siheng was doing with the other pieces.

- Safety first. Many people on the course was attacking without paying attention to defense. What Chun Yian Siheng told us about that was: "one cannot think about an attack when defense is weak. First defense, then attack."

- Reduce your mistakes. I am very sure that everybody within the course remember this advice. The more mistakes we were committing, the less opportunities we had for winning the game.

- Don't lock yourself. That is another extraordinary advice from Chun Yian Siheng. Within the game, we were locking our chess pieces in order to accomplish one strategy. But, what we forgot, is that we couldn't use those pieces for the rest of the game because they were locked. Then, most of our resources were wasted and, then, limited. Again, playing with Chun Yian Siheng, he demonstrated me how important this advice was. He killed 4 pieces of mine with only one piece of him. My other pieces where locked doing something else so, I could not do anything about it.

- Sometimes, you have to choose the lost. That is another excellent advice. Chun Yian Siheng was teaching me that lesson as following: He was facing his chess pieces in the way that always two pieces of mine where in danger. One of them always had to die and I was the one choosing which one of them I was going to sacrifice. Then, I remember in exact words what Chun Yian Siheng told me: "Sometimes, you have to decide what do you want to lose in order to get something else."

- It is better to lose a game but win a friend than to win a game but also win an enemy. Chun Yian Siheng finished the course with this excellent advice and quote mentioned by Sifu, his father.

As always, it is difficult to return what Shaolin Wahnam is giving me. I feel very blessed with Shaolin Wahnam family within Ireland. Thanks Chun Yian Siheng for coming to teach us this treasured game. It was a wonderful weekend. Thanks also to Joan Sijie for taken care of me and thanks to all Shaolin Wahnam family, here in Ireland, for making me feel like at home.

Shaolin Salute,

Santiago

Must have been great! Thanks alot for sharing!

Best regards,

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

What a brilliant and exciting weekend we have had learning the wonderful art Chinese Chess from Chun Yian Sipak. It was amazing how quickly we all could play and battle each other using different strategies, one being Double cannons which I think were almost everybodyís favourite. Playing against your opponent was like organising your own battle field concentrating on your defence when needed and when the opportunity had materialised attacking your opponentís pieces and finding a path to their General, exciting to say the least.

We also learned that the skills from Chinese chess can be applied in daily life and business. In daily life and business planning is important as Chun Yin Sipak told us if you Ďfail to plan you plan to failí. Something I think that will always stay with me was the advise from Chun Yian Sipak on having balance in your game being you must work on your defence as well as your attack and applying this in your business life by looking after the customers you have now as well as looking for new customers.

Overall I loved every minute of this course as well as the opportunity to spend time and enjoy life with my Shaolin Wahnam Family.

Thank you Chun Yian Sipak for teaching us this wonderful art, teaching us exciting strategies and for passing on your wonderful knowledge to us.

Thank you Sifu for organising this amazing weekend for us to enjoy and looking after all of us with wonderful food. It was a privilege to be part of the first Shaolin Wahnam Chinese Chess course and I thank you for this.

Thank you to all my Shaolin Wahnam Family members who took part, it was great fun playing against you all, looking forward to the next time.

Canít wait for the advanced course next year. Better get practicing!

Shaolin Salute,

Dominic.

Dear Family,

Firstly, I would like to offer my sincere thanks to Sipak Chun Yian for travelling a very long way to hold Shaolin Wahnamís first ever Chinese Chess course. It was an honour and a privilege to participate in it. Secondly, I would like to offer my congratulations to Sipak on the way in which he conducted the course. As already mentioned, by lunchtime on Saturday we were all playing Chinese Chess properly and this is surely a testament to Sipakís teaching skills. There is quite a bit to understand in the game but somehow we all picked it up in superquick time.

It was a superb weekend. The three-thousand year-old art of Chinese Chess (older than Kung Fu!) is a wonderful game which trains strategy, awareness, discipline, respect for an opponent and many other traits which we train through our other more established Shaolin Arts. The art of being able to play it, and play it well, was given to us over the weekend. More importantly, the essence of the game, and how we can use it in our daily life, was transmitted and this will bear us many fruit in the months ahead. Sidai Santi has done an excellent job in detailing some of the skills in his excellent post above.

The weekend was also the most fun Iíve had in a long time. Iím still laughing at Sisook Johnís matter-of-fact horse killing options!

Thank you Sipak for a wonderful weekend. You have greatly enriched our training and brought a whole new dimension to our Shaolin Arts for which I am very grateful. As I understand it, it was your first time teaching Chinese Chess. You did an excellent job and you can be very proud of your achievement.

I would like to offer my sincere thanks as well to Sifu Joan for her hosting and organising yet another brilliant weekend.

And, as always, many sincere thanks to Sigung for everything that he does for us... which in the context of this thread is introducing the scholar warrior ideal to our training in the Shaolin Arts.

Photos to follow!

Best wishes,

Kevin

Here are some photos from the weekend!

1 - Sipak teaching!

Sipak and Sidai Santi.