Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What If... Zhang San Feng Had Learned Southern Shaolin Instead of Northern Shaolin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What If... Zhang San Feng Had Learned Southern Shaolin Instead of Northern Shaolin?

Hi everyone,

What would Taijiquan be if it was created using Southern Shaolin Kungfu instead of Northern Shaolin Kungfu? Would this "remade" Taijiquan then have had wider stances and utilize more hand forms?

It would be interesting to have Kungfu experts compose such a set according to their skill and understanding.

With sincere respect,
    Olli

Hi Olli,

Thanks for the interesting question and train of thought.

It is not entirely correct to say that Tai Chi Quan was "created using Northern Shaolin Kungfu," rather, Zhang San Feng teaches that "Tai Chi Originates from Wuji."

Here is a link to a wonderful article by our Sifu that may help clarify: Tai Chi Originates From Wuji

In which, Sifu writes:

"It is significant to note that Zhang San Feng emphasized that this teaching of Taiji and Wuji was the most important in Taijiquan. He said, "This is the transmission of the essence of my teaching on the art of Taijiquan. The most important lesson is to understand the marvellous operation and benefits of the Cosmos in you and in the Universe. [bold mine] [...]

This most important teaching, that Taiji originates from Wuji, and returns to Wuji, is emphasized in our school. We start our practice at the Wuji Stance, without thinking of anything and without tensing any muscles. This leads to spontaneous energy flow, which may be stylized into Taijiquan movements. At the completion of our practice we return to stillness at Wuji Stance."
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Charles David; 15 June 2016, 12:11 PM.
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

And another very wonderful question and answer featuring Sifu Joko's experience:

Understanding Why Tai Chi Comes from Wuji

In which:

I felt that I was part of the Universe!

Soon afterwards, I just felt that only my dan tian was moving, the other parts of the body just followed it automatically, like a continuous mass.
      Enjoy!
      Charles David Chalmers
      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Dear Charles Sisook,

On one hand I understand and agree that spontaneous movement certainly inspired and gave the philosophical depth of Taijiquan, but it wasn't an established style until it was given definite forms. It didn't just completely fall from sky into the lap of the great Zhang San Feng, now did it? His Shaolin training provided you-wei, the birth of the the principles was through wu-wei, and the formal Taijiquan became again you-wei.

Dear everyone,

I wanted to readdress my recent observation in terms of this topic. Please consider the two following questions independently.

Suppose without prior knowledge of any other details that Zhang San Feng's Taijiquan was known for its triple cultivation in martial arts, which means training body, energy, and mind together without division. How strongly would it suggest that such a martial art would be best characterized by the internal spirits of Crane, Snake, and Dragon which are also understood to represent body, energy, and mind respectively?

Suppose that a martial art was particularly known for representing the internal characteristics of Crane, Snake, and Dragon. How strongly would it imply that the martial art in question would be particularly suited for triple cultivation?

With sincere respect,
        Olli
        Last edited by understanding; 28 August 2017, 07:17 PM. Reason: clearer language

Comment

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Uncle Cha.

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
          Hi Olli,

Thanks for the interesting question and train of thought.

It is not entirely correct to say that Tai Chi Quan was "created using Northern Shaolin Kungfu," rather, Zhang San Feng teaches that "Tai Chi Originates from Wuji."

Here is a link to a wonderful article by our Sifu that may help clarify: Tai Chi Originates From Wuji

Enjoy!
          To quote Sisook Joko Riyanto, http://www.shaolin.org/taijiquan/joko-01.html
          Now I understand what Sifu meant when Sifu said that the form is the least important factor. (It does not mean that the form is not important). In fact now I can do other forms — any forms — as a means to manifest the chi flow in my whole body. But I know of course that the most suitable form to manifest the chi flow as martial art would be the Tai Chi Chuan or Shaolin Kung Fu forms.
          Tai Chi Chuan is the principle and skill not the technique?

What matters is the connection to the workings of the cosmos and our inner workings of Tai Chi and Wu Ji? So it doesn't matter if it is Northern or Southern Gongfu we practice, it matters if we have the skill and experience of the Cosmos?

Thanks!
          Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Dear older Kung Fu brothers and my Grandfather's brothers,

thank you for the thread. Just read Sitaigung's remark about dualistic thinking in an answer in the Cotton Palm thread.

He often mentions that all 'classifications' in Kung Fu or Chinese Culture are 'just for convinience'.

So how about 'Northern' and 'Southern' Shaolin Kung Fu?

As far as I remember Kung Fu history, there was originally just the Northern Shaolin Temple and from there they moved to the south founding Southern Shaolin Temples, but taking 'their' Northern Shaolin Kung Fu with them to the South.

Further development therefore continued in the south, also adjusting it sometimes to a different environment making it more suitable for narrow city streets and boats. But they did not 'reinvent the wheel', did they?

Regarding Snake and Crane techniques, I've got in the back of my mind, that they were chosen because they 'fit' for circular energy the best. But then again, they are in Northern as they are in Southern Shaolin Kung Fu.

But Zhang San Feng moved to the Wudang mountains, he did not practise on red or other colored boats and not in narrow crouded city streets...

...the question could be nowadays, whether we are able to take 'our Tai Chi Chuan' or 'Wudang Kung Fu' out of the training hall and hotel banquet hall environment to the mountains...

With Shaolin Salute,
            Michael

Comment

Working...
            X