Herniated discs, smoking, migraines and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herniated discs, smoking, migraines and more

To kick this section of the forum off, my own humble story (which has been mentioned in parts of the forum before).

My initial interest in Kung Fu was from the martial films which I used to watch as a teenager. I never had the opportunity to learn at the time though.

Once I started travelling a lot on business I realised how unfit I was becoming and how "unsafe" I felt when alone in big foreign cities. So I decided martial arts was the best way to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone". So, being naive, I searched the internet .... and found a lot of stuff which, being a complete novice, was no real help and confusing. But the term Kung Fu was in my head and that was what I wanted. I checked out the "local" sources (all 2 of them) but decided that what they were teaching and how and where was not right for me. So I did a silly thing..... bought a video course from Australia. Well actually it wasn't that silly as I later discovered from my own experience that learning from a video is really not possible!

So, having given up on the video, I decided to take what was available locally --- Shotokan Karate. My son and I started and we had fun .... sort of. The biggest problem was my back - 2 herniated discs - which were hindering my progress and getting worse. That and the constant injuries from free sparring .... yes, as white belts with 4 weeks of experience we were into free sparring ... even the small kids (7 years of age).

During this time I had been reading Sifu's Q&A series. I had discovered a source which seemed to be more than just knowledge. I was constantly drawn back to Sifu's site and could hardly wait to read the next installment (still can't ).

Back in 1999 I was also still smoking and just couldn't kick the habit. So I thought I'd try writing to this Grand Master I had been reading so much about (and so much from) and ask for his advice. To my big surprise, he answered -- personally and in great detail. So I decided to follow his advice (printed in the Q&A series of 1999), started practicing Lifting the Sky from his books and gave up smoking within just a few months without any side effects or withdrawal symptoms.

The big "change", however, came when I decided, with my wife, to take a Chi Kung regional course with Sifu. It was for health reasons that we went - despite me being told by everyone (and me believing these experts of course) that the physical damage in my back could not be reversed and that my condition would most likely worsen. In fact my prognosis was possible wheel chair within a few short years. Lifting heavy objects (like my own kids) was out of the question. Sports --- reduced to a minimum.

This course we attended in Finale Ligure, Italy was to be the turning point. After just the first few hours of learning from Sifu I was able to walk for miles which had previously been impossible. Of course there were ups and downs in my development after this initial and spectacular success, but the trend line was (and still is) upwards. I have been practically pain free since 3-4 months after that first course. When translating courses for Sifu here in Switzerland, I have been able to stand, without pain, for up to 9 hours in a single day.

When I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to talk with Sifu during that first course and thank him for what he had done for me he told me to quit karate and learn Kung Fu from him.

This was the opportunity of a lifetime. So I quit the karate and flew off to Malaysia. I haven't looked back since - and nor has my back!

During another course, some time later, I also realised (hadn't noticed for some reason) that some of my other earlier ailments had disappeared too. The hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels) which had caused me much discomfort particularly in stress situations had gone away. My regular migraines (suffered from 6 months of chronic migraines --- daily!) stopped too. I sleep better and need to sleep less.

There's more --- but I think that's enough for the moment

Andrew
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Thank you Sifu Barnett, that was truly inspiring! Personally, I'm still waiting for that big "change". You know what I'm talking about...

I wish I could afford attending Sifu Wong's intensive courses in Malaysia. Perhaps some day, in the not-so-distant future!

Originally posted by WahnamCH
    There's more --- but I think that's enough for the moment
    Andrew
    Please share, it's another moment already!

Comment

Impatient

Some of the more minor changes:
      - Fear of heights - gone
      - Claustrophobia - gone
      - Fear of needles (body systems - circulation and breathing used to collapse if a needle came anywhere near me) - gone
      - More efficient at work
      - Less stress - or at least I don't get stressed as much
      - More calm and collected even at times of great stress
      - Haven't had any illness for 3 years

I think that about covers it

Andrew
      Sifu Andrew Barnett

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)

Comment

Andrew,

In what way did it help you quit smoking? I know that the peace that meditation brings helped me quit drinking. But smoking is a whole other animal. Did Sifu give you any other insite or ideas to help?

Thanks in advance,
        Mike
        "He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce" Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Comment

Where are my manners? Sorry I should have addressed you as Sifu Barnett.

Sincerely,
          Mike
          "He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce" Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Comment

Hey Mike --- Andrew's just fine

Sifu just recommended I practice Lifting the Sky for a few months and then just throw the cigarettes away. Very simple, but very very effective advice. It worked perfectly. I even threw those cigarettes away on New Year's Eve --- it felt right and my body was prepared from the Chi Kung practice.

Andrew
            Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

Wow, thanks for sharing your remarkable recovery Andrew

How bad was your fear of heights? We all have our fears, nice to know our Chi Kung is so versatile!

Comment

Thanks Jordan.

To be honest the claustrophobia was quite a bit worse than the fear of heights. I had to learn to live with heights quite early -- being over 6 feet tall

Andrew
                Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

Working...
                X