Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Questions on "Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Practitioner"

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I'm very happy to announce that Sigung has happily agreed to answer 10 Questions on the upcoming "Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu (and/or Tai Chi Chuan) Practitioner" course, which will be held at the end of November in Penang.

Let the questions begin!

With shaolin salute,

Dimitri.
    Last edited by Anton S.; 17th October 2018, 09:25 AM. Reason: the thread is in appropriate position :)
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
    When the student is truly ready, the teacher will disappear.

-Lao Tzu-

Dear Sigung,
    the content of the course is very interesting and it is outlined on shaolin.org.
    Yet I wonder, what will be the most important topic in the upcoming course? What is the most fundamental a Shaolin Wahnam Practitioner should be able to do after the course?
    With kind regards,
    Anton.
    Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
    Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
    http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
    http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
    http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Thank you Sifu for the teaching and brother Dimitri for fascilitating this Q&A .

The Question :
      The course will include material from Levels 11 and 12 of our Shaolin Wahnam Kung Fu Syllabus .
      The skills of speed , agility , accuracy and presence of mind are important at those levels : may Sifu talk about what are the main methods to develop speed and presence of mind ?
      Additionally , when fighting against multiple attackers , one may sometimes not be in time to dodge or use opponents as shield and having a high level Golden Bell will be a bonus as one can withstand even weapon strikes : will Sifu teach the formal method to develop Golden Bell during the course ?

Thank you again
      Damian Kissey
      Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
      www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Dear Sifu,

The philosophy in level 8 of our basic syllabus touches on the “principles of weapon combat”.

Can you please elaborate a bit on which principles you find most important when fighting with weapons and about the basic principles of each of the weapon classes?

Thank you very much in advance.

I am so glad that I finally get a chance to attend this course and I am very looking forward to it.

Best wishes,

Leo

PS: Thanks to Dimitri for arranging and facilitating this golden opportunity!
        Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Wahnam Wien Logo

Shaolin Wahnam Wien
        Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung
        Southern Shaolin Kung Fu
        Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan

Shaolin Wahnam Wien on facebook
        Shaolin Wahnam Wien on YouTube

Comment

Let's start with the first question.

Question 1

The content of the course is very interesting and it is outlined on shaolin.org. Yet I wonder what will be the most important topic in the upcoming course? What is the most fundamental a Shaolin Wahnam Practitioner should be able to do after the course?

Anton.

Answer

The following topics will be taught at the “Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner” course:
          1. Kungfu sets – Lohan Asks the Way, Four Gates, Flowing Water Staff, Plum Flower Sabre, Cloud Hands, Flowing Water Floating Clouds, Taiji Sabre and Wudang Sword.The Taiji Staff will also be taught.
          2. Capturing an opponent’s weapon, and how to prevent its capture.
          3. Single unarmed against multiple unarmed, and single unarmed against multiple armed.

I shall quickly go over the kungfu sets, but participants will learn in some depth how to capture an opponent’s weapon, how to prevent its capture, single unarmed against multiple unarmed, and single against multiple armed.

The following is the most important topic in each of the respective section.

Lohan Asks the Way – completed in one breath.
          Four Gates – different levels of depth.
          Flowing Water Staff – the staff thrust.
          Plum Flower Sabre – use of the arm.
          Cloud Hands – the flow method.
          Flowing Water Floating Clouds – exploding force.
          Taiji Sabre – ferocity.
          Wudang Sword – use of the wrist.
          Taiji Staff – functions of the staff.

Capturing an opponent’s weapon – safety first.
          Preventing its capture – flowing with opponent’s momentum.

Single unarmed against multiple unarmed – tiger in herd of sheep.
          Single unarmed against multiple armed – capturing opponent’s weapon.

Many of our family members may not understand some of the phrases mentioned above, though I have explained them in my writing, like “completed in one breath” and “tiger in herd of sheep”. Participants will learn them, especially in practice, at the course.

The most fundamental a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu practitioner should be able to do after the course is to handle an opponent at his level, including if the opponent holds a weapon. As the basic of kungfu is combat, we do not want to make a mockery of ourselves.

On the other hand, we realize that many kungfu practitioners practice kungfu not to fight but to enrich their lives. Hence, many topics are taught at the course, like how to capture an opponent’s weapon, and what to do if you are attacked by a group of people. At lease we should know the underlying principles.

To enrich their lives, participants should have good health, vitality, longevity, peak performance and spiritual joys besides combat efficiency. While practicing chi kung can also give us these benefits except combat efficiency, it is practicing kungfu that these benefits are in greater depth. Regarding combat efficiency, we know what to do in combat. Even if we lose to a better fighter, we come out of combat unhurt.

<End>

-Lao Tzu-

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I would like to thank Sifu for offering another wonderful and inspiring Q & A Series, to Dimitri Sijat for facilitating this thread and to all the participants for their fantastic questions.

My question/s:

May Sifu share with us what are the most important aspects (in order of importance) for winning a multi-opponent fight (with and without weapons)? May Sifu please elaborate?

In order to continue with our school tradition of transferring these wonderful arts to our daily lives, may Sifu share how can the following strategies be used to enrich our lives and the lives of others (both personal and professional)?:

- “Catch the Leader First”.

- “Break Through the Weakest”.

- “Over Bridge, Flow with Water”.

- "Back-wall Battle".

- “Dodge-hit Battle”.

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Dear Sigung, thank you very much for your fast and very comprehensive answer!
              Dear Dimitri, thank you for facilitating the thread and posting
              With kind regards,
              Anton
              Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
              Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
              http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
              http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
              http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Thank you, Sifu, for answering the questions.

Thank you, Dimitri, for facilitating the thread.

Thank you, my family, for asking the good questions.

Looking forward to the answers

With Shaolin Salute,
                Lee Wei Joo
                http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Let me also add a question:

Dear Sigung,

as we know the levels 10-12 requires a lot of skills and a good performance to make the best out of it.

What was the content, and how were the training methods to these last high end levels in

- Sitaigung Lai Chin Wah's school

- Sitaigung Chee Kim Thong's school

- Sitaigung Ho Fat Nam's school

- Sitaigung Choe Hoong Choy's school and in

- The Shaolin Temple?
                  Thank you very much.

With shaolin salute,

Dimitri.

-Lao Tzu-

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thank you for taking your time to answer our questions.

My question is:
                    Sifu has continually improved and evolved his teaching methodology over the years so that students, both old and new, continually accumulate more and more benefits. What are some of the ah-ha moments that Sifu had that led to the formation of our Shaolin Wahnam Kung Fu syllabus as it is today? Will our syllabus continue to change and evolve in the future as Sifu improves his teaching methodology?

Thank you, Dimitri, for giving us this golden opportunity.

With Shaolin Salute,
                    Lee Wei Joo
                    http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Let's continue with Sipak Dr. Damian Kissey's question:

Question 2

The course will include material from Levels 11 and 12 of our Shaolin Wahnam Kung Fu Syllabus. The skills of speed, agility, accuracy and presence of mind are important at those levels.

May Sifu talk about what are the main methods to develop speed and presence of mind?

Additionally, when fighting against multiple attackers, one may sometimes not be in time to dodge or use opponents as shield and having a high level Golden Bell will be a bonus as one can withstand even weapon strikes. Will Sifu teach the formal method to develop Golden Bell during the course ?

Dr Damian

Answer

Skills of speed, agility, accuracy and presence of mind, amongst other factors, are important in this course and in combat as well as daily life.

The skills of speed include various speeds in performing various tasks. If a kick is coming fast, a practitioner must have the speed to counter it. If he is not as fast as his opponent, he must know how to use tactics to slow down his opponent.

On the other hand he must also use the right speed for the occasion. In his sparring, for example, he may slow down to observe or test his opponent. In sparring, for example, opponents often jump away as soan exponent makes a move. In this case the exponent can ignore his initial attack, cover his opponents adequately and move in to accomplish his strikes.

This is more important in daily life, as actual combat seldom happens in our law-abiding society. He must adjust his speed to suit his situations. If he is too fast, he may not accomplish his tasks.

The skills of agility include both physical agility and mental agility.

I recall that when I was learning Shaolin Kungfu from Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, he taught me a special way of jumping from the Severn-Star Set. I practiced it diligently for a few months, and honestly thought I was good at it. But I was a good student; I never complained and continued to practice the jump diligently. On hindsight I believe my practice greatly contributed to my physical and mental agility

In our school, excellent methods to train agility are the leopard techniques, “yit hai hor seng” or “completing many patterns in one breath”, the flow method, and the six harmonies, especially the harmony of elegance.

In leopard techniques, not only we must have speed, we should also be agile. In “completing many patterns in one breath”, we have to complete many patterns, like in a sequence, in picture-perfect form and in just one breath, without being out of breath at the end of the series of patterns.

In the flow method, we may start our series of patterns slowly but all the patterns are in one smooth flow without any staccato movement. Gradually we increase the speed of the flow. Chi kung and “completing many patterns in one breath” will be very useful. Eventually we can perform the series of pattern in a fast flow.

The six harmonies are harmonies of the leg, hand, body, essence, chi and mind. It is useful to perform any kungfu movement with the six harmonies in mind. The six harmonies contribute to agility, both physical and mental.

The skills of accuracy ensure that a performer accomplishes his tasks. Besides speed, he needs to have right spacing. In sparring or real fights, exponents often do not have sufficient reach. This, of course, is understandable if practitioners want to purposely not hit their sparring partners, in which case they must be aware of their spacing. But in real fights when practitioners need to hit their opponents, they often miss by a few inches.

Similarly in real life, practitioners must have reach, otherwise they will miss many opportunities. They must have both right timing and right spacing, which can be learnt in our “four arrivals”. We do not merely train kungfu; we transfer the philosophy and skills to daily life.

Presence of mind is a very important skill in combat; it is more important in daily life. Kungfu training is an excellent way to train the presence of mind.

In most other martial arts, combatants lack the presence of mind. As I have often mentioned, this is their problem but it is useful for our family members to know. Most martial artists simply hit each other in sparring with hardly any defence, which shows a lack of presence of mind.

An excellent way to have presence of mind is to sink our chi gently to our dan tian. All masters in the past did this as they assumed their poise patterns. Our family should do this, but others may not.

Some of our kungfu practitioners are proficient in their sparring with family members but throw away their kungfu techniques when facing other opponents. This may eventually be due to a lack of presence of mind, and can be remedied by using “safety first” and the “element of threat” in their combat application as well as practicing the “30-opponent programme”.

The “Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner” course is fairly advanced and there are many topics to be taught. Hence, these skills of speed, agility, accuracy and presence of mind, which are basic in our school, are not taught in the course.

Golden Bell is certainly very helpful when sparring against multiple attackers. However, not many practitioners have Golden Bell. Nevertheless, the way of training in our school can develop Golden Bell, often without the practitioners’ conscious knowing. Many of our senior practitioners have this skill of Golden Bell.

I taught Golden Bell in Finland in 2016. It was a golden opportunity for our kungfu practitioners as Golden Bell is seldom taight.

As there are many topics to be covered in the “Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner” course, I shall not teach this art during the course.

<End>

-Lao Tzu-

Comment

Very much thanks to our Sifu for transmitting teachings to us and brother Dimitri for the good effort
                        Damian Kissey
                        Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                        www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Dear Family,

4 more questions are left yet, and a little bit less than 4 weeks until the course.
                          Like Sifu Leo and Sifu Lee Wei Joo already metioned it, use this golden opportunity to ask questions!

With shaolin salute,

Dimitri.

-Lao Tzu-

Comment

The answer

Next question - next answer,
                            Let the question of my sifu be answered,
                            and for the sake of all let's see the answer.

Question 3

The philosophy in level 8 of our basic syllabus touches on the “principles of weapon combat”.

Can you please elaborate a bit on which principles you find most important when fighting with weapons and about the basic principles of each of the weapon classes?

Sifu Leo

Answer

In level 8 under “Philosophy” of our Shaolin basic syllabus, the topic is “principles of weapon combat”. Under “Note”, the following factors are listed: safety, certainty and decisiveness, avoiding strength and attacking weakness.

Under “Form”, the Flowing Water Staff is learnt. Under “Application”, students apply the staff against another staff and other weapons. Under “Force”, students learn “hit force”, “thrust force” and eye sight training.

In level 8 students learn the Flowing Water Staff, which is one of the four best staff sets in the whole of kungfu, and the staff is a fundamental Shaolin weapon. Students learn the combat application of the staff against another staff and other weapons.

A good way to test “hit force” is to strike a coconut placed on the ground. A good way to train “thrust force” is to hang a tire on the staff and thrust out the staff. A good way to train eyesight is to observe a candle flame at night.

“Safety first” is a paramount principle in weapon training, especially when an opponent is holding a blade weapon. A few principles are important, like “don’t be in the direction of a pointed weapon” and “don’t be in the momentum of a blade weapon”.

Irf an opponent is holding a dagger, it is important not to be in the direction of the dagger. When capturing a dagger, be aware of the opponent using a technique known as “dispersing flowers”. This will be learnt at the course.

If an opponent is holding a sabre, it is important not to be in the momentum of the sabre. When capturing a sabre, be aware of the opponent using a technique known as “reverse slash”. This will also be learnt at the course.

One must be certain when capturing a weapon. The exponent cannot take any chance. When hitting an opponent holding a weapon, he must be decisive. He must hit at the head or vital points.

The strength of a pointed weapon, like a dagger, a sword or a spear, is the thrust. The strength of a bladed weapon, like a sabre, a sword, or a Guan Dao is the slash (or a chop). A staff is the mother of weapons. It can apply the thrust and the slash.

The weakness of a weapon is the wrist for a short weapon, and the arms for a long weapon. It is easy to capture a weapon if the exponent knows the strength and the weakness of the weapon. It is impossible if he does not know the techniques.

In Taijiquan the Wudang Sword is learnt. Students will learn the combat application of the Wudang Sword. The Chinese sword is like a dainty lady; it should avoid an opponent’s weapon, especially a heavy weapon, otherwise the sword will be broken into pieces.

An excellent pattern to channel energy to the tip of a sword is “Green Dragon Shoots Pearl”.

Agility and wrist work are very important in learning to use a sword.

Traditionally, weapons are classified into 18 types. But different times referred to different types of 18 weapons. Hence, there are actually more than 18 weapons.

Weapons may be classified into long and short, and heavy and light. Such classifications overlap. Hence a spear is a long, light weapon. A Guan Dao is a long, heavy weapon. A pair of butterfly knives is a short, light weapon. A pair of Copper Legumes (or round hammers) is a short, heavy weapon.

Weapons can also be pointed or bladed. A sabre is bladed, and is used for cutting. A spear is pointed, and is used for piercing.

A pointed weapon, like a wavy-head lance or a big trident, is used for piercing or thrusting. A bladed weapon, like a big knife or a pair of tiger-hooks, is used for cutting.

There is a kungfu saying that “yi cun chang, yi cun qiang; yi cun duan, yi cun miao”, which means “an inch longer, an inch stronger; an inch shorter, an inch more marvelous”. A long weapon has the advantage of length, but a short weapon can be used marvelously. A spear is long, and keeps an opponent at bay. Butterfly knives are short, and can be very tricky.

<End>

-Lao Tzu-

Comment

My question:

Dear Sifu,

You once recounted that Sigung (Ho Fatt Nam) fought off a huge group of armed attackers who tried to burn his house down.

Extract from https://shaolin.org/general-2/legacy...att-nam08.html:

“….The combat that most impressed me was when more than 35 attackers came to burn his house and kill his family. It was like a kungfu movie except that it happened in real life. Not only he fought them off using a spear, but also he had to defend his family and prevent them from burning his house.

My sifu was so compassionate that he did not want to hurt them, but seeing that they refused to go away, he had to wound the leader to scarce them away. He thrusted his spear onto the side of the leader and blood gushed out. All the attackers then ran away. Had he missed by a few inches and pierced the leader’s liver or kidney, the leader would be killed.”

What specific strategies, tactics and techniques was he using to handle such a large group of armed attackers?

In your opinion, would using the staff in such a situation be just as effective?

Would we be learning some of these strategies, tactics and techniques in the multiple attackers training syllabus during the course?

Regards,
                              FJ

PS: Thanks Dimitri for setting up this thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X