Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions to Grandmaster on Wudang Kungfu/Taijiquan & Zhang San Feng

Dear All,

In 2018 Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit will be passing on the wisdom and teachings of the patriarch of Wudang Kungfu/Taijiquan – Zhang San Feng, across three collaborative courses in the UK, Puerto Rico and Malaysia. This year the Q&A will cover all three of these courses.

The courses will take the practitioner on a journey, exploration and application of the internal arts; starting at the origins of Wudang Kungfu/Taijiquan, as Zhang San Feng left the Shaolin Temple in China, through to the Ten Essentials of Wudang Kungfu/Taijiquan, and finally to the teachings of the “The Treatise of Spiritual Cultivation and Energy Training in the Practice of Taijiquan”

With such a breadth and depth of teachings there are no doubt many questions you might like to ask. To help you with this below is a reminder of some the things that will be covered.

Students of these courses will:
    Learn how to unite spirit and energy through the 16 Pattern Abridged San Feng Set
    Experience and realise the foundations of Wudang Kungfu/Taijiquan through The Ten Essentials in Taijiquan practice
    Have a practical experience of the term “Taiji originates from Wuji”
    Learn how to use Wudang Kungfu /Taijiquan to maintain health, increase performance, apply as a martial application, train 
energy and cultivate spirit

Learn how to practically use the skills and philosophy from the courses in everyday life.
    Learn how to accumulate energy and focus mind through Dragon Strength Chi Circulation
    Learn how to Stabilize Nature through Five Dan Tien Training
    Learn how to Cultivating Spirit through Cotton Palm Training
    Learn advanced skills leading to a healthy, happy and meaningful life

The list goes on…

Just in case you need some more inspiration for what to ask you’ll be able to find more information on the courses on the websites and links below:

July 18 - UK Summer Camp – Wudang Kungfu / Experiencing and Expressing Grand Ultimate
    Sept 18 - Puerto Rico - No Two Door | The Ten Essentials in Wudang Kungfu Practice
    Dec 18 – Malaysia – Cultivating Spirit / Training Energy
    Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
    A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I would like to thank Sifu for his always endless generosity, to Tim Siheng for starting this fantastic thread and to all the participants.

Dear Sifu,

I have read the Treatise of Zhang San Feng many times. It is a very profound and inspiring text. Every time I read it I realise something new. Thank you for making it accessible to all of us.

Did you have any realisations or Aha moments when translating it? if so, could please share them with us?

I would also have another question if I may ask more than one:

Buddhists speak about following "The Middle Way" and Taoists about attaining "Yin-Yang Harmony". I was wondering what the differences and similarities exist between both of them. Do you think that ultimately "The Middle Way" and "Yin-Yang Harmony" aim to achieve the same Goal?

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Dear brothers and sisters,

I would like to express many thanks to Sifu for creating and offering so generously these wonderful courses, full of new opportunities for improvement and joy and thanks to Ángel, Barry and Tim for suggesting and organizing them. Thank you all for participating in this thread.

Thanks Tim! it´s wonderful to have this new thread opened. I have some questions,

Dear Sifu,

1) How will the Cultivating Spirit and Nourishing Energy course improve daily life for a person who has a lot of struggles? How will do so for a person whose life is already full of peace, happiness and joy? Is there any new skill involved?

2) What are the differences and similarities between Spiritual Cultivation through Small and Big Universe and the "Cultivating Spirit and Nourishing Energy" methods? How will improve the "Cultivating Spirit and Nourishing Energy" methods to a practitioner/master of the Small and Big Universe?

3) What are the differences between the new Nei Gung courses that are going to be taught this summer in UK and our Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung?

Warmest regards,

Ángel

Comment

Dear Sifu,

As part of the 'Abridged San Feng' set we practice 'Two Aspects of Yin-Yang'. What are the therapeutic benefits and therapeutic differences of this exercise compared to:

Lifting the Sky
        Beautiful Butterfly Dances in Front of Flowers

Yours kindly

Tim
        Tim Franklin

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thanks so much for agreeing to teach these wonderful courses and to answer our questions as well.

How could a practitioner of other styles of Kungfu other than Taijiquan would benefit from following the Ten Essentials in Wudang Kungfu practice? Does such practitioner need to be of a high level or can a beginner can benefit as well? Is it possible and how can one benefit from following these Ten Essentials to enrich ones daily life?

Thanks again for the opportunity!

Humble,
          Angel
          [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
          Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."
          - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
          - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Santi Question 1 Answer part 1

Thank you Santi for this question.

Sifu has been very generous over years in answering the Q&A’s. One could assume that all questions possible have been asked around Taijiquan and there is no more to learn. Of course this is not true! Every question is an opportunity to learn and an opportunity for Sifu to share his immense experience and insights. We would not want to waste this opportunity by letting it pass us by.

IMPORTANT
            Sifu has agreed to hold this Q&A open ONLY until 1st July. After that this thread is closed.

So if you have questions on things like:
            The teachings of Zhang San Feng
            The Ten Essentials of Taijiquan
            Cultivating Spirit or Training Energy
            How to apply Taijiquan in combat
            How to apply the teachings in everyday life

or other things relating to this subject, please make sure you get your questions in.

Your questions really do help many people. So ask away...

Question 1

I have read the Treatise of Zhang San Feng many times. It is a very profound and inspiring text. Every time I read it I realise something new. Thank you for making it accessible to all of us.

Did you have any realisations or Aha moments when translating it? if so, could please share them with us?

I would also have another question if I may ask more than one:

Buddhists speak about following "The Middle Way" and Taoists about attaining "Yin-Yang Harmony". I was wondering what the differences and similarities exist between both of them. Do you think that ultimately "The Middle Way" and "Yin-Yang Harmony" aim to achieve the same Goal?

Santi, Spain

Answer

The Treatise of Zhang San Feng is indeed profound and inspiring. Those who practice not only Taijiquan but any martial art should read it. Understandably, not many martial arts follow the treatise, nor even have heard about it.

The Treatise of Zhang San Feng was written in classical Chinese, and therefore presents many problems for modern readers. Even modern Chinese scholars may not know classical Chinese well.

But this is not its crucial problem. There are three crucial problems. Classics were written for posterity, and for those who practiced the arts. Background information was normally not mentioned. Thirdly, intending practitioners who are lucky to have a classic, might not be able to perform the given information.

It is important to realize that classics were not meant as teaching manuals. Those who have not practiced the art, or similar arts, would not know how to apply the instructions in a classic.

For example, in rolling bamboo in the Art of Iron Arm, a practitioner must roll a bamboo in a relaxed manner. Most intending practitioners would tense their arms, and this is wrong.

Secondly, background information is normally not given. In the Art of Iron Arm, a practitioner must condition his arm if he uses an external method, or has practiced appropriate chi kung exercises if he uses an internal method, before rolling a bamboo.

Thirdly, in rolling bamboo a practitioner lets his chi flow to his arm. Many practitioners would not know how to implement the instruction even when they know the instruction.

I shall briefly explain what this Treatise of Zhang San Feng is. Those who want details should refer to my webpage <a href=”https://shaolin.org/video-clips-7/wudang-taijiquan/treatise/overview.html”>Taijiquan Treatise of Zhang San Feng – Overview</a>.

The full name of the Treatise when translated into English is "Focusing Spirit Accumulating Energy Treatise in Grand Ultimate Practice". “Focusing Spirit” is spiritual cultivation. “Accumulating Energy” is energy training. “Grand Ultivate Practice” is Taijiquan. Hence, in modern English the name of the Treatise is “Treatise of Spiritual Cultivation and Energy Training in the Practice of Taijiquan”.

It should be known that “Taijiquan” is a modern term. At the time of Zhang San Feng it was known as Shaolin Kungfu.

Zhang San Feng was the first person to incorporate kungfu training, spiritual cultivation and energy training into one unity. He was regarded as the First Patriarch of the internal arts. Hence, when we practice Taijiquan, Taijiquan as taught by Zhang San Feng, it is kungfu, chi kung (or energy training) and meditation (or spiritual cultivation) at the same time.

Taiji, or the Cosmos, originates from Wuji, or the Great Void, and returns to Wuji. The Cosmos is symbolized by yin and yang, which is being quiescent and dynamic. The interaction of yin and yang brings about myriad things in the phenomenal world. These countless myriad things, however, are not different from the undifferentiated spread of energy. It is a matter of spiritual perception.

The essence of the teaching on Taijiquan is spirit and energy. If one misses spirit and energy, he has missed the essence of Taijiquan.

In Taijiquan there are stillness and movement. Stillness and movement are not separated, they are integrated. Before any movement in Taijiquan there is intention.

(Part 2 Follows)
            Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Santi question part 2

Here is part 2 of Santi’s question:

(Continued from Part 1)

There are https://shaolin.org/video-clips-7/wu...s of Taijiquan which can be classified into 13 techniques, according to the principles of Bagua and Wuxing.

In the practice of Taijiquan you must empty your mind of all thoughts and not tense any muscles. You must loosen your waist, and apply the principle of false-real, the principle of sinking and pressing, and the principle of using intention and not using strength. The top and bottom part of your body and movement must be co-ordinated. The internal and external aspects of training must be integrated. All the patterns must be performed continuously in one gentle, graceful flow without any break. In your movement there must be stillness, and in stillness there must be movement. These are the https://shaolin.org/video-clips-7/wu...Ten Essentials in the art of Taijiquan. This is the "Gate of No Other Way". This is fundamental to becoming students of our school to practice Taijiquan correctly.

There were many realizations but, as far as I can remember, there were no Aha moments when translating the Treatise. These Aha moments occurred earlier when teaching Taijiquan. The translation was an attempt to convey the essence of Zhang San Foong to our students.

When teaching Taijiquan, the many realizations and Aha moments happened spontaneously. Sometimes there might be realizations and no Aha moments. Here were some of the realizations and Aha moments when they occurred spontaneously.

I realized with an Aha moment that when Taijiquan was performed fast it was like Shaolin Kungfu, and when Shaolin Kungfu was performed slowly it was like Taijiquan. At that time Wudang Taijiquan and Chen Style Taijiquan were relatively unknown, and it was mainly Yang Style Taijiquan. It occurred at the time when my fourth sifu, Sifu Choe Hoong Choy, showed me how to generated internal force using Siu Lin Tou. Or it might have occurred earlier when my third sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, demonstrated to me how he performed slowly the Shaolin Pakua Set when he taught a king of a state in Malaysia.

Later when I was teaching an intensive course, I believe in 2006, I realized and had an Aha moment that if we performed Shaolin Kungfu slowly like Taijiquan, not only we could detail mistakes more easily, but also we could round off corners and make our movements smooth.

I had a realization and a Aha moment when teaching a Taijiquan course that when we performed the movements slowly and gracefully, we could develop internal force. Later I called this internal force “flowing force”, to differentiate it from the “consolidated force” we developed in Iron Wire or Triple Stretch.
              Buddhists speak about following the middle way, and Taoists about attaining yin-yang harmony. There are differences as well as similarities between these two principles.

The middle way is the way between two extremes, that of self-mortification and sensual indulgence. Some monks tortured themselves like starving, wearing torn clothing, and sleeping on beds of thorns, hoping that their minds would be liberated from the shackles of the body. Sensual indulgence refers to enjoyment derived from the senses, like Roman emperors tickling their tongue to vomit so that they can eat more, or Chinese emperors have a thousand wives so that they could enjoy sex. The Buddha proposes the Eight-Fold Path to attain the middle way.

Yin-yang harmony refers to a harmony of two opposite yet complimentary aspects of reality, like being successful in both his private and his social life, and having health as well as vitality. If a person is a good husband but fails in his social life, or is not sick in hospital but lacks vitality in his work and play, he does not have yin-yang harmony. Yin-yang harmony is particularly important in Taijiquan. We practice Taijiquan, for example, not just for health but also for combat efficiency, not just being slow and graceful but also being fast and forceful.

The similarities are that both principles enrich life. It is not advisable to mortify oneself or to indulge excessively of the senses. Hence the middle way is advocated. It is not advisable just to have health and no vitality, or to be successful in private life but not in social life. Hence yin-yang harmony is advocated. In this way the middle way and yin-yang harmony aim to achieve the same goal

<End>
              Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

amended post

I have reposted the parts to question 1 as the links are not working. I’m not sure how to change these within the post?

Answer

The Treatise of Zhang San Feng is indeed profound and inspiring. Those who practice not only Taijiquan but any martial art should read it. Understandably, not many martial arts follow the treatise, nor even have heard about it.

The Treatise of Zhang San Feng was written in classical Chinese, and therefore presents many problems for modern readers. Even modern Chinese scholars may not know classical Chinese well.

But this is not its crucial problem. There are three crucial problems. Classics were written for posterity, and for those who practiced the arts. Background information was normally not mentioned. Thirdly, intending practitioners who are lucky to have a classic, might not be able to perform the given information.

It is important to realize that classics were not meant as teaching manuals. Those who have not practiced the art, or similar arts, would not know how to apply the instructions in a classic.

For example, in rolling bamboo in the Art of Iron Arm, a practitioner must roll a bamboo in a relaxed manner. Most intending practitioners would tense their arms, and this is wrong.

Secondly, background information is normally not given. In the Art of Iron Arm, a practitioner must condition his arm if he uses an external method, or has practiced appropriate chi kung exercises if he uses an internal method, before rolling a bamboo.

Thirdly, in rolling bamboo a practitioner lets his chi flow to his arm. Many practitioners would not know how to implement the instruction even when they know the instruction.

I shall briefly explain what this Treatise of Zhang San Feng is. Those who want details should refer to my webpage Taijiquan Treatise of Zhang San Feng

The full name of the Treatise when translated into English is "Focusing Spirit Accumulating Energy Treatise in Grand Ultimate Practice". “Focusing Spirit” is spiritual cultivation. “Accumulating Energy” is energy training. “Grand Ultivate Practice” is Taijiquan. Hence, in modern English the name of the Treatise is “Treatise of Spiritual Cultivation and Energy Training in the Practice of Taijiquan”.

It should be known that “Taijiquan” is a modern term. At the time of Zhang San Feng it was known as Shaolin Kungfu.

Zhang San Feng was the first person to incorporate kungfu training, spiritual cultivation and energy training into one unity. He was regarded as the First Patriarch of the internal arts. Hence, when we practice Taijiquan, Taijiquan as taught by Zhang San Feng, it is kungfu, chi kung (or energy training) and meditation (or spiritual cultivation) at the same time.

Taiji, or the Cosmos, originates from Wuji, or the Great Void, and returns to Wuji. The Cosmos is symbolized by yin and yang, which is being quiescent and dynamic. The interaction of yin and yang brings about myriad things in the phenomenal world. These countless myriad things, however, are not different from the undifferentiated spread of energy. It is a matter of spiritual perception.

The essence of the teaching on Taijiquan is spirit and energy. If one misses spirit and energy, he has missed the essence of Taijiquan.

In Taijiquan there are stillness and movement. Stillness and movement are not separated, they are integrated. Before any movement in Taijiquan there is intention.
                Part 2

(Continued from Part 1)

There are 72 patterns of Taijiquan which can be classified into 13 techniques, according to the principles of Bagua and Wuxing.

In the practice of Taijiquan you must empty your mind of all thoughts and not tense any muscles. You must loosen your waist, and apply the principle of false-real, the principle of sinking and pressing, and the principle of using intention and not using strength. The top and bottom part of your body and movement must be co-ordinated. The internal and external aspects of training must be integrated. All the patterns must be performed continuously in one gentle, graceful flow without any break. In your movement there must be stillness, and in stillness there must be movement. These are the Ten Essentials in the art of Taijiquan. This is the "Gate of No Other Way". This is fundamental to becoming students of our school to practice Taijiquan correctly.

There were many realizations but, as far as I can remember, there were no Aha moments when translating the Treatise. These Aha moments occurred earlier when teaching Taijiquan. The translation was an attempt to convey the essence of Zhang San Foong to our students.

When teaching Taijiquan, the many realizations and Aha moments happened spontaneously. Sometimes there might be realizations and no Aha moments. Here were some of the realizations and Aha moments when they occurred spontaneously.

I realized with an Aha moment that when Taijiquan was performed fast it was like Shaolin Kungfu, and when Shaolin Kungfu was performed slowly it was like Taijiquan. At that time Wudang Taijiquan and Chen Style Taijiquan were relatively unknown, and it was mainly Yang Style Taijiquan. It occurred at the time when my fourth sifu, Sifu Choe Hoong Choy, showed me how to generated internal force using Siu Lin Tou. Or it might have occurred earlier when my third sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, demonstrated to me how he performed slowly the Shaolin Pakua Set when he taught a king of a state in Malaysia.

Later when I was teaching an intensive course, I believe in 2006, I realized and had an Aha moment that if we performed Shaolin Kungfu slowly like Taijiquan, not only we could detail mistakes more easily, but also we could round off corners and make our movements smooth.

I had a realization and a Aha moment when teaching a Taijiquan course that when we performed the movements slowly and gracefully, we could develop internal force. Later I called this internal force “flowing force”, to differentiate it from the “consolidated force” we developed in Iron Wire or Triple Stretch.
                Buddhists speak about following the middle way, and Taoists about attaining yin-yang harmony. There are differences as well as similarities between these two principles.

The middle way is the way between two extremes, that of self-mortification and sensual indulgence. Some monks tortured themselves like starving, wearing torn clothing, and sleeping on beds of thorns, hoping that their minds would be liberated from the shackles of the body. Sensual indulgence refers to enjoyment derived from the senses, like Roman emperors tickling their tongue to vomit so that they can eat more, or Chinese emperors have a thousand wives so that they could enjoy sex. The Buddha proposes the Eight-Fold Path to attain the middle way.

Yin-yang harmony refers to a harmony of two opposite yet complimentary aspects of reality, like being successful in both his private and his social life, and having health as well as vitality. If a person is a good husband but fails in his social life, or is not sick in hospital but lacks vitality in his work and play, he does not have yin-yang harmony. Yin-yang harmony is particularly important in Taijiquan. We practice Taijiquan, for example, not just for health but also for combat efficiency, not just being slow and graceful but also being fast and forceful.

The similarities are that both principles enrich life. It is not advisable to mortify oneself or to indulge excessively of the senses. Hence the middle way is advocated. It is not advisable just to have health and no vitality, or to be successful in private life but not in social life. Hence yin-yang harmony is advocated. In this way the middle way and yin-yang harmony aim to achieve the same goal

<End>
                Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Hello

Many thanks to Sifu and Fully Alive, for the opportunity to ask about such interesting topics.

I have some questions:

1) When a person cultivates his/her spirit, does that have an effect on his/her family and environment, without them doing anything directly or even without knowing about it? Could he or she even change the nature that surrounds him/her (plants, stones and animals)? like improve the feng shui of the places?

2) What would be the most priority and needed principles that the legacy of Zhang San Feng in the practice of Taijiquan that could contribute to the daily life of a student? How could different benefits vary in students who are in a beginner, medium or advanced level? What could be the main limitations for a student to don't achive good results in his/her practice?

Thank you very much,

Warm regards,

Paz

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I would like to thank Sifu for always providing us with his enormous wisdom and generosity. As always, it was an illuminating answer and I am very grateful that Sifu took the time to answer it.

I want to also thank Tim Siheng for starting another spectacular Q & A series that I am sure all will enjoy. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Another Amazing Thread

Dear family,

Thank you Siheng for this super thread and thanks to Sifu for teaching this course and yet again offering his wisdom in answering these questions. These threads are such an amazing source of knowledge, wisdom and insight!

Here's my first question:

In Sifu’s incredible translation of the Treatise of Zhang San Feng he explains that meditation was an essential part of the cultivation, and SIfu goes on to explain why we don’t emphasise sitting meditation in our school, preferring the expedient means of standing meditation and flowing meditation due to our different aspirations.

I’m curious to know Sifu’s view of how separate meditation practice might have been integrated into Zhang San Feng’s training. Does Sifu have a view, for example, of how long might he have sat in meditation (compared to how much he might have practised Wudang Kungfu), what type or method of meditation he might have practised, and how would this aspect of his spiritual cultivation have contributed to his development and attainment?

Although we have different aspirations, I’m sure many in our school do practice some form of meditation, perhaps sitting on a chair as I do, in addition to our other qigong and Tajiquan practice.

Could Sifu recommend any specific meditation methods that if practised, would complement our Tajiquan training, whether they are the same or different from what he has taught on various Zen courses in recent years? I have a suspicion the answer may mirror some of the ten essentials such as being relaxed and not thiniking of anything, but I'd love to hear this from Sifu.

Thank you SIfu.
                      With love and Shaolin salute /o

"Your purpose in life is to find your purpose & give your whole heart and soul to it." - Buddha

Gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.

Comment

I'm posting this second question separately.

Sifu’s translation/explanation of the Treatise contains the following:

“All these aspects operate in yin-yang harmony to achieve the micro-Cosmos in you, which mirrors the macro-Cosmos in the Universe.“

Does this statement suggest that the correct practice of genuine Tajiquan leads to the attainment of the small universe and the big universe?

Does Sifu have a view of whether this would have been a consequence/effect of the correct practice or perhaps a goal of the practice? What is Sifu’s considered view of whether Zhang San Feng, already a master in Shaolin Kungfu, would have already achieved the small or big universe before he started cultivating on he Wudang mountain?

Part of Sifu’s explanation of the Treatise includes the following:
                        “when dynamic energy has become dynamic to the extreme, quiescence begins. This is symbolized as extreme yin creates yang, and extreme yang creates yin.”

In this boundless (and expanding) universe, I’m really curious about the idea that there are limits to how dynamic energy could become. Absolute stillness seems more comprehensible to me as a concept than there is a limit on how energetic something could become. Could Sifu please elaborate on how such limits exist and how energy cannot simply get more and more dynamic to an infinite extent?

Sifu, thanks again for answering the questions in this thread.
                        With love and Shaolin salute /o

"Your purpose in life is to find your purpose & give your whole heart and soul to it." - Buddha

Gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.

Comment

Significance of the Abridged San Feng Set

Dear Sifu,

Thank you for answering the questions of the teachings of Zhang San Feng.

With so many beautiful Taijiquan patterns to choose from, what is the significance of the patterns you chose for the Abridged San Feng Set? How do they relate to the 10 Essentials and Cultivating Spirit, Training Energy?

Yours kindly

Tim
                          Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Question 2

Thank you Ángel for asking these questions...

Question 2

How will the Cultivating Spirit and Nourishing Energy course improve daily life for a person who has a lot of struggles? How will it do so for a person whose life is already full of peace, happiness and joy? Is there any new skill involved?

What are the differences and similarities between Spiritual Cultivation through Small and Big Universe and the "Cultivating Spirit and Nourishing Energy" methods? How will a practitioner/master of the Small and Big Universe improve the "Cultivating Spirit and Nourishing Energy" methods?

What are the differences between the new Nei Gung courses that are going to be taught this summer in UK and our Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung?

Ángel, Spain

Answer

As the name of the course implies, the “Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy” course will do that, i.e. cultivating spirit and nourishing energy. As all our arts in Shaolin Wahnam are triple cultivation, i.e. cultivation of form, energy and spirit, aren’t all other courses do the same? Yes, all the courses in Shaolin Wahnam cultivate form, energy and spirit, but they do so at different levels. The “Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy” course will attain the cultivation of spirit and energy, besides form, at the highest level. This highest level will also include attainments at the intermediate and the low levels.

All the aims and objectives of the course will be dealt with. In other words, participants will have a practical understanding of cultivating spirit nourishing energy based on the Treatise of Zhang San Feng, namely “Focusing Spirit Accumulating Energy in Grand Ultimate Practice, and will acquire advanced skills and techniques to cultivate spirit and train energy to lead a healthy, happy and meaningful life.

Our objectives will be to have a practical understanding and wisdom of Zhang San Feng, to flow with the Cosmos, to attain a unity of spirit and energy, to use the skills of compassion and wisdom, and to experience phenomenal reality and Cosmic Reality. We shall employ some methods from Five Dan Tian Breathing, Cotton Palm and Dragon Strength.

The expected results of participants will be that they are mentally fresh and clear, experience spiritual joys and deep peace of the Cosmos, experience life as a meaningful flow of energy, feel confident to continue practicing cultivating spirit and nourishing energy, and be amazed and directly experience the wisdom of Zhang San Feng.

Those qualified to attend the course would have overcome their struggles. But if they still have a lot of struggles, to have the best benefits, they can overcome their struggles and improve their daily life if they practice the methods they will learn at the course at a much lower level, or practice other methods of lower-level chi kung.

In principles, it is similar to someone who is sick. To overcome this sickness, he can practice high-level art at a much lower level, or practice low-level arts. If he practices high-level art, it is like asking a sick patient to lift heavy weights or run a marathon. The high-level art is too powerful for a sick person. Similarly, “Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy” practiced at its recommended level is too powerful for those who want to overcome their struggles.

(Continued from Part 1)

What are the common struggles that many people, luckily outside our school, face? These people may not be clinically sick, but they lack energy to do their work, if they have started any work they have no perseverance or zest to carry on, they become tired or bored easily, they are angry, timid or afraid usually for no apparent reason, and they carry on life listlessly.

These are struggles most people outside our school face. We really do not mean to be boastful, those in our school do not have these struggles, except they are very new to our school. Those in our school are peaceful and happy, and find life a joy everyday.

For those who may still have these struggles, they can overcome their struggles by perform any methods in the “Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy” course at a very, very low level, at about 5% to 10% of their potential. But it is easier to practice any methods from a relatively low-level art, just in case they may perform at a level higher than recommended which can lead to over-training. Any exercises from Eighteen Lohan Hands can overcome their struggles.

How would participants whose life is already full of peace, happiness and joy improve their life from the course “Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy”?

Not only the participants will have more methods to have more peace, happiness and joy, they will also have very powerful methods. It is worthwhile to know that peace, happiness and joy are relative. In other words, while we can differentiate between peace, happiness and joy from agitation, sorrow, and misery, we may not clearly define what is peace, happiness and joy. We cannot, for example, say how peaceful, happy or joyful a person is before we can say he has peace, happiness and joy.

This reminds me of what Jean, our Chief Chi Kung Instructor of Canada, told me many years ago. She told me that she was peaceful, happy and joyful after practicing our chi kung, and she could not really know how my further chi kung courses would add to her peace, happiness and joy. Yet after my courses, her peace, happiness and joy increased tremendously. She told me that she was probably at the climax of being peaceful, happy and joyful. Yet after some chi kung courses, her peace, happiness and joy increased beyond recognition.

There will be some new skills. Even if participants have learned the skills before, they will find many aspects of the skills they have not learned before; they will deepen their skills. Five Dan Tain Breathing is a new skill that I shall teach at the course. We shall also use skills from Dragon Strength and Cotton Palm.

The skills used in the Small and Big Universe and those in Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy are different, though the aim is the same, i.e. expanding into the Cosmos. Both courses use different skills and different techniques.

A practitioner or a master of the Small and Big Universe will find it easier to learn the skills and techniques of Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy. If all other things were equal, he will also gain more benefits.

What we practice in Shaolin Wahnam was called nei gung, or internal arts., in the past. We call it “chi kung” because the term “chi kung” has been established. Both nei gung and chi kung are quite the same as they both involve cultivation of energy. Nevertheless, in everyday usage, nei gung is generally considered more advanced and arcane than chi kung.

Hence, the nei gung courses at the UK Summer Camp in July will be deeper than what is normally taught in chi kung courses. They will relate to the objectives of the courses.

For example, on 9th July 2018 the course will be directed to healthier living. This will include overcoming or preventing illness. On 10th July the course will provide a lot of energy to make meaningful changes. On 11th July the nei gung methods will provide energy for expanding awareness.

<End>
                            Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Question 3

Please keep the questions coming. You only have until 1st July to ask.

Here is the answer to question 3.

Question 3

As part of the ‘Abridged San Feng’ set we practice ‘Two aspects of Yin-Yang’. What are the therapeutic benefits and therapeutic differences of this exercise compared to 'Lifting The Sky' and 'Beautiful Butterfly Dances in Front of Flowers’?

Sifu Tim Franklin, Shaolin Wahnam UK

Answer

“Two Aspects of Yin-Yang” is the starting pattern of the Abridged San Feng Wudang Set. It is also the starting pattern of the San Feng Wudang Set as well as the Wudang Taijiquan Set, though in the picture series of Wudang Taijiquan Set the first picture is “Cosmos One Unity”, which is standing at the Wuji Stance.

It is worthy of note that the Wudang Taijiquan Set was reconstructed by me based on the patterns mentioned in a Wudang Kungfu classic, and on Zhang San Feng’s Treatise of Taijiquan recorded in “Focusing Spirit Accumulating Energy in the Grand Ultimate Practice”, as well as all resources I could get on Wudang Taijiquan.

It was also based on my understanding and experience. For example, from my understanding and experience Taijiquan should be performed in gentle, flowing manner without beginning and without ending. I would not composed a set where the patterns were performed in a staccato manner.

Anyone with some understanding of the philosophy of the Abridged San Feng Wudang Set, as well as the San Feng Wudang Set and Wudang Taijiquan Set, would wonder why this pattern, “Two Aspects of Yin-Yang”, is the start of the set. Those who have no understanding of its philosophy would perform the set in the way it has been composed.

All kungfu sets begin with the Shaolin “Focusing Chi at the Dan Tian”, or the Taijiquan “Two Aspects of Yin-Yang” as it is called in the Wudang Taijiquan Set, or “Bringing Chi from the Cosmos” as we sometimes call this pattern. The great majority of those who perform any kungfu sets do not know the significance behind these patterns. I remember Emiko telling me that in wushu performance, the significance was that the performer looked nice.

“Focusing Chi at the Dan Tian” is performed by bringing both palms up at the sides of the body, then in front of the body turning the palms to face downward and lowering them to the dan tian before bringing the fists at both sides of the waist. The purpose is to let the chi flowing and then focus it at the dan tian, which is very useful for performing any kungfu set. Any movement of the set needs flowing chi and the dan tian acts like a reservoir of chi.

“Two Aspects of Yin-Yang” is performed by bringing both palms, initially facing upward, from the sides of the body up to above the head, then bringing the palms, now facing downward, to the dan tian. The palms are now brought in two fists to the sides of the wrist, or left hanging straight but loosely at the sides of the body.

The function of “Two Aspects of Yin-Yang” is quite similar to “Focusing Chi at the Dan Tian”, with the exception that in the former chi is gathered from the Cosmos, whereas in the latter chi is made to flow in the performer’s body.
                              (Continued from Part 1)

Which pattern is superior? It depends on the purpose of performing the set. From experience I have discovered that relatively “Focusing Chi at the Dan Tian” is more powerful, whereas “Two Aspects of Yin-Yang” is more flowing.

Why is the pattern called “Two Aspects of Yin-Yang”? It is because innately there are two aspects to the same reality where they are both opposite and complimentary to each other. One of the aspect is symbolized as “yin” and the other aspect is symbolized as “yang”.

In Wuji, or the Great Void, energy is undifferentiated, and innately one aspect which is quiescent is symbolized as “yin”, and the other aspect which is dynamic is symbolized as “yang”. In “Taiji”, or the Cosmos with myriad differentiated things, the quiescent is symbolized as “yin” and the dynamic is symbolized as “yang”.

Not all things are strictly perfectly quiescent or dynamic. Some are more quiescent than dynamic, and vice versa. But all things are symbolized as “yin” and “yang”.

The similarity in “Two Aspects of Yin-Yang”, “Lifting the Sky” and “Beautiful Butterfly Dances in Front of Flowers” is that all the three patterns move energy. Moving energy to let the energy flow has great therapeutic benefit. If the energy stagnates, it causes illness.

“Two Aspects of Yin-Yang” moves energy generally. “Lifting the Sky” and “Beautiful Butterfly Dances in Front of Flowers” move energy in specific ways. “Lifting the Sky” moves energy in a practitioner’s body, excellent in generating an overall energy flow. “Beautiful Butterfly Dances in Front of Flowers” moves energy in the chest, excellent in overcoming depression.

We shall perform “Two Aspects of Yin-Yang” at the coming UK Summer Camp 2018, and at the “Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy” course in Penang. We shall also perform “Lifting the Sky” and “Beautiful Butterfly Dances in Front of Flowers” as a comparison. If I forget to mention these two latter patterns, some kind soul please reminds me.

<End>
                              Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X