Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 2 continues...

(Continued from Part 1)

On the other hand, a practitioner who knows Cotton Palm. i.e. trained in flowing force, may not have any advantage when training Cosmos Palm, i.e. training consolidating force. However, in our school Shaolin Kungfu students may not have a big problem because they have practiced One-Finger Shooting Zen, which includes both flowing force and consolidating force. Taijiquan students may have a problem because they are trained only in flowing force.

In other schools, those trained in Cosmos Palm may face a big problem when they also train Cotton Palm, and vice versa. It is because flowing force may contradict consolidating force. Hence, in most other schools, masters specialize in only one art, either Cosmos Palm or Cotton Palm – if they ever have the chance to learn it.

We really don’t mean to be presumptuous, but our Shaolin Wahnam students are really very lucky. Not only they have a chance to train Cotton Palm or Cosmos Palm, or any other arts, they also understand their underlying philosophy and are able to transfer their skills and knowledge to enrich their daily lives.

Your statement that different arts complement one another is applicable only in our school where we understand their underlying philosophy and have the skills to convert one type of force or one art to another. Most other schools do not understand the underlying philosophy of the arts they are trained in, and do not have the skills to convert one type of force or art to another.

It will be detrimental if they train Cotton Palm and Cosmos Palm together, or train Iron Wire and Yang Style Taijiquan together. They will not have Cotton Palm or Cosmos Palm, or not have Iron Wire force or Yang Style Taijiquan force, because their flowing force and consolidating force will cancel each other.

I remember that years ago when I was training Cosmos Palm, I asked my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, whether I could train Tiger Claw at the same time. He told me clearly that I should train only one art at any one time.

In our case of Cosmos Palm and Cotton Palm, the complement is unidirectional because Cosmos Palm has both flowing force and consolidating force, whereas Cotton Palm has only flowing force. A practitioner who has Cosmos Palm, i.e. who is trained in both flowing force and consolidating force, will find it easier when he learns Cotton Palm, because he already has flowing force. He just has to make his flowing force more conducive to Cotton Palm. A Cotton Palm practitioner, who is trained in flowing force, has to learn consolidaiting force.

Because we understand their underlying philosophy and have the skills to convert one type of force into another, and other benefits, we are anble to accomplish Cotton Palm, Cosmos Palm or any other art much faster than other practitioners. Our speed or cost-effectiveness is unbelievable. If we say that we can achieve result faster, most people may think that we are twice or may be three times faster, which is quite a lot.

But if we say that our students can chieve in one month what other practitioners would take one year, which is more than 10 times faster, most other people will find us ridiculous. But it is true. If any of those who attended our Cotton Palm Course practice every day for a month, he will attain a result similar to others who take a year.

If one has not learnt Cosmos Palm before, but train Cotton Palm and Cosmos Palm simultaneous.ly, assuming that he could do so (but I have said that I will not teach Cosmos Palm again, and without false modesty,, I don’t think anyone, including those who attended the Cosmos Palm Course, could teach Cosmos Palm as effectively as I did), theoretically he will not accelerate his attainment of Cotton Palm; he will slow doen his attainment.

The reasoning is simple. If method A will produce result X, and a practitioner practices methods A and B, result X will take a longer time.

This is a different case from a practitioner, who already knows Cosmos Palm, taking a shorter time to accomplish Cotton Palm. If method B produces result Y, which in this case represents the training to accomplish Cosmos Palm, and method B includes P and Q, which represent flowing force and consolidating force, the practitioner will take a shorter time to accomplish X, which is Cotton Palm, which can be accomplished by method A which includes only P.

(Part 3 follows)
    Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
    A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Part 3 of question 3...

(Continued from Part 2)

To make things appear clearer, let us look at the algebra again.

Method A produces result X, i.e. practicing method A a practitioner accomplishes Cotton Palm.

Method B produces result Y, i.e. practicing method B a practitioner accomplishes Cosmos Palm.

Method A includes P, which is flowing force.

Method B includes P and Q, which are flowing force and consolidating force.

If a practitioner practices A and B, he will take a longer time than if he only practices A to accomplish the result.

If a practitioner practices B (which includes P and Q) he will take a shorter time than if he only practices A (which only includes P) to accomplish the result.

The answer is no, so your question does not apply. But for the sake of theoretical curiosity, I shall give an answer. If the answer were yes, it is better to practice both Cosmos Palm and Cotton Palm in a single session, so that the practice of one are can complement the other art. I would like to mention again that this situation is applicable only in our school. In most other schools, the effect of one art will cancel the effect of the other art.

As the answer is no, which means he will take a longer time to accomplish Cotton Palm if he also practices the method for Cosmos Palm, it is better for him to practice the two methods for Cotton Palm and for Cosmos Palm in two separate sessions so that the negative interference will be less. If he practices just the method for Cotton Palm, without adding the method for Cosmos Palm, he will accomplish his Cotton Palm faster.

It is not just theoretical, but actually practical, to accelerate progress, but guard against over-training, to learn Cosmos Palm first and then progress to Cotton Palm. But those who missed my Cosmos Palm course, don’t attempt to learn Cosmos Palm on their own, but stick to Cotton Palm.

Learning Cosmos Palm on their own is likely to result in mistakes. It Even when theyis unwise to accelerate progress at the risk of making mistakes. Even when they stick to Cotton Palm, they are 10 times more efficient than most other practitioners. To avoid over-training, they should not aim at 10 times more cost-effective, but at 3 times or at 30%. It is very rare to have an opportunity to learn Cotton Palm.

The Cotton Palm Set we learned at the Cotton Palm coirse is very advanced, if we know how to train it correctly, otherwise it is just like a routine for demonstration. In my opinion, the Cotton Palm set is more suitable than Wudang Taijiquan for spiritual attainment.

You must have remember wrongly. I did not mention that the Seven-Star set and the Praying Mantis Crushing Fist set are the most advanced sets in our school. The Seven-Star set is excellent for combat, especially for the smaller and weaker against the strong and powerful. , but I would place it at a medium level. I would place the Praying Mantis Crushing Fist set at an elementary level. It was the first Praying Mantis set I learned.

I would place Cotton Palm amongst the most advanced sets in our school, at the level of Cosmos Palm, Dragon Strength, Essence of Shaolin, Wudang Taijiquan and Flower Set. Different people will have different choice, but to me the most advance ed sets in our school are Dragon Strength and Essence of Shaolin.

<End>
      Tim Franklin

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Spiritual Attainment using Cotton Palm set

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Part 3 of question 3...
        Dear Tim,

Thanks so much for keeping up with this extension and progresion of the wonderful UK Summer Camp, and thanks so much to Sifu for keeping up with his amazing teaching answering this excelent questions.

The Cotton Palm Set we learned at the Cotton Palm coirse is very advanced, if we know how to train it correctly, otherwise it is just like a routine for demonstration. In my opinion, the Cotton Palm set is more suitable than Wudang Taijiquan for spiritual attainment.
        I wonder, how Wudang Cotton Palm set is more suitable than Wudang Taijiquan for spiritual attainment?

Best Wishes,
        Angel
        [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
        Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."
        - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
        - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Dear Sigung,

thank you very much for your kind and very enlightening answer!

Cotton Palm is simply amazing. Especially because it is so simple and profound, and also the shortest among the most advanced sets (Cosmos Palm, Dragon Strength, Essence of Shaolin, Wudang Taijiquan and Flower Set).

I am very happy that you took your time to answer my question. Thank you very much!

With best regards,
          Anton.
          Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
          Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
          http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
          http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
          http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Honorable Sigung,

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I learned quite a lot about the philosophy and applications of the set.

Looking forward to reading more answers to Wahnam Family's beatiful and useful inquiries!

With sincere gratitude,
            Olli

Comment

Question 4

You have mentioned that Bak Mei's specialty was in Cotton Art including Cotton Palm and Cotton Belly. Could Sifu please elaborate on Cotton Belly and whether it can be achieved through the practice of Cotton Palm. and did Bak Mei use Cotton Palm for healing as well as in combat?

How effective is Cotton Palm in healing oneself and others in comparison to opening points, and what is the best method in applying Cotton Palm for healing?

Are there any more 'secret' combat applications Sifu can kindly share, or applying spiral force in combat?

Does Wudang Cotton Palm relate to the Secrets of Wudang Kungfu course which is being offered at summer camp course in 2018 and could Sifu please tell us more about the Secrets of Wudang Kungfu?

Sifu can one master only the Cotton Palm set or is it more effective to learn a spread of Kung Fu sets?

Will Wudang Cotton Palm play an import role in spreading genuine arts in the future?

Parveen

Answer

Pak Mei, a kungfu genius, had many specialties, one of which was Cotton Art, which included Cotton Palm and Cotton Belly. His other specialties, which were well known in kungfu circles, included Golden Bell, dim mark phoenix=eye fist, and Children’s Art, which made a person look like a child and was very agile even when he was past 70.

Pak Mei was good at any kungfu he performed. Although he was not known to be specialized in some arts, like iron arm and tiger-claw, he was better at these arts than other masters who specialized in them. For example, Thit Kew Sam was famous for his iron arm, Hoong Hei Koon famous for his tiger-claw, Yim Wing Choon famous for her sticking hands, and Fong Sai Yoke famous for his no-shadow kicks. But when these masters were compared to Pak Mei in their specialties, they were like children, although when compared to modern day international champions, the modern day international champions are like children!

I don’t know much about Cotton Belly, but I know that a Cotton Belly master can use his belly to suck in an opponent’s punch, and when the master releases the suction, the opponent would be sent flying back many feet. This is actually a compassionate of fighting. A more vicious way is to break the opponent’s arm, or to damage the opponent severely while under suction.

I believe Cotton Belly is related to Cotton Palm, but the practitioner needs to practice some special techniques to attain Cotton Belly. Without these techniques, a practitioner would not achieve Cotton Belly even when he continues practicing Cotton Palm.

Cotton Palm is excellent in healing oneself as well as others, but the Cotton Palm master must first be trained in healing. In other word, if he is not trained in healing, he will not be able to heal himself or others even when he has Cotton Palm. Presuming all other things were equal, a healer who has Cotton Palm will be a better than another healer who does not have Cotton Palm.

A Cotton Palm master is very unlikely to be sick at all, but he can be injured. If he is trained in healing, he can heal his own injuries or other people’s injuries. In my opinion, Cotton Palm healing is not as effective, and not as safe, as chi flow.

Another big advantage of chi flow over Cotton Palm is that a practitioner who knows chi flow, needs not be trained in healing If he is injured or sick, his chi flow can overcome his injuries or sickness even when he is not trained in healing. But this does not mean that if he seeks a good healer or doctor, he can overcome his injuries or sickness faster and more effectively.

Healing others is a different matter, and it concerns ethics. In theory, if he can help another person generate a chi flow, the other person can overcome his injury or sickness with his own chi flo, although it may be less effector or slower than if he seeks a good healer or doctor.. However, to be a healer is not just to know chi flow, or enable another person to generate a chi flow. A hearer has the heart of a parent; he should treat his patients, even if he has not met them before, like his own children.

(Part 2 follows)
              Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

It has been mentioned previosly that Cotton Palm is excellent in cultivating the Spirit.

My question is; Does Cotton Palm specifically enhance the 3 internal harmonies of Jing, Qi & Shen and if so how does the Cotton Palm enhance these 3 aspect and when practicing the art of Cotton Palm what would be the most beneficial & practical exercises to enhance both the 3 harmonies and the Set?

With gratitude,
                James
                O\
                Aaahhhhh!

Comment

Question 4 part 2

(Continued from Part 1)

A Cotton Palm master may not know how to open energy points. On the other hand, opening energy points is not the only way of healing.

If all other things were equal, a healer who knows Cotton Palm will be more effective in opening points than another healer who does not know Cotton Palm. But he must first be trained in healing, and also be trained in opening points. If he opens points wrongly, he may cause more harm than bring benefit.

Cotton Palm and healing are different arts. Hence, your question of the best method in applying Cotton Pam for healing is not applicable. As an analogy, driving and swimming are different arts. It is not applicable to ask what the best method is to apply driving for swimming, or to apply swimming for driving.

If you are a trained healer and also knows Cotton Palm, you may apply Cotton Palm in your healing if it is appropriate. Please bear in mind that a healer who does not know Cotton Palm, is much better in healing than a Cotton Palm master who does not know healing.

A good healer does not need Cotton Palm to make his healing effective. If you are already a good healer, knowing Cotton Palm can give you an advantage. However, in some cases, having Cotton Palm but not knowing how to use it appropriately in healing, can be a liability. The energy in Cotton Palm for example, may be too powerful for a sick person.

I have shred more secrets in combat application and other aspects in the tw0-day Cotton Palm course than most masters in a two-year or twenty-year course. You have learned, for example, how to apply just one pattern “Wave Sleeves Light Breeze”, to counter any attack! Even real masters may be unable to do that. We also learned at the two-day course how to generate spirial force – a topic often talked about but very rarely realized in most Chen Style Taijiquan schools.

What you need to do now is not to know more secrets, but to practice the secrets well so that you can apply them readily.

I can teach more secrets, but that is not to your benefits. I can, for example, teach the secrets of why using on pattern is better than another pattern to counter a particular attack.

Yes, Wudang Cotton Palm relates to the secrets of the Wudang Kungfucourse offered at the UK Summer Camp in 2018. You have already learned many secrets at the Wudang Cotton Palm course. For example, you have learned how to generate Cotton Palm force, how to be powerful yet not being tired, and how to apply Cotton Palm to enrich your daily life.

There are many secrets of Wudang Kungfu. Briefly, what is performed as Wudang Kungfu is just the external form. The performers are unable to apply their performance for combat or to enrich their lives. These are the main secrets – how to apply Wudang Kungfu for combat, and how to apply Wudang Kungfu to enrich our daily lives –we shall learn at the coming Wudang Kungfu course.

Whether one should master only the Cotton Palm set or learn a spread of kungfu sets concerns depth and spread. Generally, depth is more important than spread. Being a master of one set, like the Cotton Palm set, is better than being a jack of many sets.

However, if you are already a master of one set, learning sets will make you more effective. By mastering one set, you become a great master like Yang Lu Chan or Wong Fei Hoong. After becoming a great master, by learning more sets you become the greatest of masters, like Ng Mui and Zhang San Feng.

Not only in the future, but also at the present, Wudang Cotton Palm plays an important role in spreading genuine arts . Indeed, any classical set, like Cosmos Palm, Triple Stretch, Flower Set, Dragon Strength and Tiger-Crane, just to name a few, plays an important role. The onus is not just to teach the outward form of the set, but the secrets in internal force, combat application and how to use the set to enrich our lives. This is what we shall do at the UK Summer Camp 2018.

The situation of kungfu today is pathetic. Not only it has lost its greatness and glory, it has degraded into a ridiculous level. Kungfu practitioners are routinely beaten by martial artists of other styles . In fact some kungfu authroities even go to the extend of saying that kungfu cannot be used for fighting!

<End>
                  Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Thank you Sifu for answering all my questions, it has been inspiring to read. It is a wonderful blessing to have learnt Cotton Palm and to enjoy its many benefits through daily practice.

Thank you Tim Siheng for posting the answers.

With Love & Blessings,
                    Parveen
                    “So I say to you –
                    This is how to contemplate our conditioned existence in this fleeting world:”

“Like a tiny drop of dew, or a bubble floating in a stream;
                    Like a flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
                    Or a flickering lamp, an illusion, a phantom, or a dream.”

“So is all conditioned existence to be seen.”

Thus spoke Buddha.

Comment

You're Welcome. I've really been enjoying this Q&A, and the practice.

Question 5

I would like to know how do we benefit more from the Cotton Palm skills for our daily life routines to ourselves and others?

Paz

Answer

Firstly, we shall address the question as how Cotton Palm can benefit us. Then we shall address the question as how cotton Palm can benefit us more than most other chi kung, kungfu or spiritual cultivation exercises

The main beneifts of chi kjng are good health, vitality and longevity. The main benefit of kungfu are combat efficiency and good health. The main benefits of spiritual cultivation, are being peaceful and happy at the everyday level, and expanding into the Cosmos in the Cosmic level.

These are fundamental benefits. If a person practicing any one of these arts, does not derive these benefits, either his art is not genuine or he has not practiced correctly. It is indeed shocking that many chi kung practitioners are still weak and sickly, many kungfu practitioners cannot defend themselves and are unhealthy, and may spiritual cultivators are stressful, dull and depressed!

If a person practices chi kung, he should be healthy, have vitality and longevity. To be healthy, he has firstly overcome his illness. It is chi flow, or flowing energy, that gives him these benefits.

If a person practices kungfu, he should be able to use his kungfu techniques and skills to defend himself. He should also be healthy and fit due to his practice.

The basic requirement for any spiritual cultivation is to be relaxed. It is also the first benefit a practitioner will get. As he continues with his practice, he will attain mental clarity. At a high level, he may expand into the Cosmos, and realize from direct experience that his spirit is not necessarily confined to his body.

Cotton Palmas practiced in our school is chi kung, kungfu and spiritual cultivation at the same time. Hence, by practicing Cotton Palm, practitioners will get all the benefits mentioned above.

But Cotton Palm is not just ordinary chi kung, kungfu and cultivation. It is most advanced of chi kung, kungfu and spiritual cultivation. This means that by practicing Cotton Palm, one not only gets all these benefits, but gets the benefits in a very short time and at a very high level.

Because Cotton Palm is of a very high level, one must guard against over-training. Practitioners may need a paradigm shift. In other schools, dedicated practitioners want to get the best from their training. We don’t do this in our school. We purposely practice below our potiential. It is almost a joke, and others not used to our efficiency may think we are exaggerating or lying.

Nevertheless, because the health benefits of Cotton Palm is very powerful, if a person is sick, it is better for him to perform less powerful exercises like Self-Manifested Chi Movement, Eighteen Therapeutic Exercises and Five-Animal Play to overcome his illness. Cotton Palm can be too powerful. A sick person practicing Cotton Palm is like lifting weights or running a marathon.

Cotton Palm is excellent for combat. In the Cotton Palm course at the UK Summer Camp 2017, we used just one pattern, “Wave Sleeves Light Breeze”, to counter any attack, be it a strike, a kick, a felling attack, or a chin-na technique! Of course, we can also use just one pattern to attack.

The combat application of Cotton Palm is sophisticated. Many martial artists may not know how the Cotton Palm techniques are used in combat. The techniques can be very fast and powerful, yet the practitioner is not tired nor out of breath.

Cotton Pam is excellent for spiritual cultivation. Indeed, Zhang San Feng, the first patriarch of internal arts, practiced Wudang Kungfu to attain the Tao, which in Western context means returning to God the Holy Spirit. Cotton Palm is the highest of Wudang Kungfu. It is also the climax of Shaolin kungfu development.

<End>
                      Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Amazing!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        You're Welcome. I've really been enjoying this Q&A, and the practice.
                        Question 5

I would like to know how do we benefit more from the Cotton Palm skills for our daily life routines to ourselves and others?

Paz

Answer

Firstly, we shall address the question as how Cotton Palm can benefit us. Then we shall address the question as how cotton Palm can benefit us more than most other chi kung, kungfu or spiritual cultivation exercises

The main beneifts of chi kjng are good health, vitality and longevity. The main benefit of kungfu are combat efficiency and good health. The main benefits of spiritual cultivation, are being peaceful and happy at the everyday level, and expanding into the Cosmos in the Cosmic level.

These are fundamental benefits. If a person practicing any one of these arts, does not derive these benefits, either his art is not genuine or he has not practiced correctly. It is indeed shocking that many chi kung practitioners are still weak and sickly, many kungfu practitioners cannot defend themselves and are unhealthy, and may spiritual cultivators are stressful, dull and depressed!

If a person practices chi kung, he should be healthy, have vitality and longevity. To be healthy, he has firstly overcome his illness. It is chi flow, or flowing energy, that gives him these benefits.

If a person practices kungfu, he should be able to use his kungfu techniques and skills to defend himself. He should also be healthy and fit due to his practice.

The basic requirement for any spiritual cultivation is to be relaxed. It is also the first benefit a practitioner will get. As he continues with his practice, he will attain mental clarity. At a high level, he may expand into the Cosmos, and realize from direct experience that his spirit is not necessarily confined to his body.

Cotton Palmas practiced in our school is chi kung, kungfu and spiritual cultivation at the same time. Hence, by practicing Cotton Palm, practitioners will get all the benefits mentioned above.

But Cotton Palm is not just ordinary chi kung, kungfu and cultivation. It is most advanced of chi kung, kungfu and spiritual cultivation. This means that by practicing Cotton Palm, one not only gets all these benefits, but gets the benefits in a very short time and at a very high level.

Because Cotton Palm is of a very high level, one must guard against over-training. Practitioners may need a paradigm shift. In other schools, dedicated practitioners want to get the best from their training. We don’t do this in our school. We purposely practice below our potiential. It is almost a joke, and others not used to our efficiency may think we are exaggerating or lying.

Nevertheless, because the health benefits of Cotton Palm is very powerful, if a person is sick, it is better for him to perform less powerful exercises like Self-Manifested Chi Movement, Eighteen Therapeutic Exercises and Five-Animal Play to overcome his illness. Cotton Palm can be too powerful. A sick person practicing Cotton Palm is like lifting weights or running a marathon.

Cotton Palm is excellent for combat. In the Cotton Palm course at the UK Summer Camp 2017, we used just one pattern, “Wave Sleeves Light Breeze”, to counter any attack, be it a strike, a kick, a felling attack, or a chin-na technique! Of course, we can also use just one pattern to attack.

The combat application of Cotton Palm is sophisticated. Many martial artists may not know how the Cotton Palm techniques are used in combat. The techniques can be very fast and powerful, yet the practitioner is not tired nor out of breath.

Cotton Pam is excellent for spiritual cultivation. Indeed, Zhang San Feng, the first patriarch of internal arts, practiced Wudang Kungfu to attain the Tao, which in Western context means returning to God the Holy Spirit. Cotton Palm is the highest of Wudang Kungfu. It is also the climax of Shaolin kungfu development.

Dear Tim,

Thanks so much for keeping up with the UK Summer Camp updates. Thanks for the excellent questions to all and especially the last one by Paz. Thanks again so much to Sifu, for taking the time to answer our questions and for giving us so many precious gems to continue our develpment! Wudang Cotton Palm is amazing!

Best wishes,
                        Angel
                        [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
                        Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."
                        - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
                        - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Dear Sifu:

Thank you very much for answering my question.

I will be able to obtain many benefits in the application of cotton palm in my practice and daily routines.

It has generated me insight, clarity and depth in a specific and general ways.

Also thank you Tim for the opportunity to expand the information on cotton palm.

Best regards,

Paz

Comment

Thank you James for this question and Sifu for the answer.

Question 6

Where did the Cotton Palm lineage originate from, what was known of the set before Sigung learnt it and what insight has Sigung acquired since learning and passing on this unique set?

On learning the Cotton Palm I can say that there is something deeply embedded in this set. Personally I have never experienced such power and focus during a course before. The softness, force and expanding shen were a gift worth waiting for.

James

Answer

I believe Cotton Palm originaged from very high level Shaolin Kungfu. It was at a level most Shaolin proactitioners might not have attained or even dreamt about. Later it was developed by the great Zhang San Feng on the Wudang Mountain. It might have been taught at the time of Wang Lang, who lived a few centuries later, as Cotton Palm was also found in Praying Mantis Kungfu.

However, it was lost in Shaolin Kungfu, Shaolin students practiced Shaolin Kungfu as an external, hard style, though we in Shaolin Wahnam still practice it as internal kungfu. Cotton Palm in Praying Mantis today exist as outward form, without its inner aspects. Cotton Palm in Wudang Kungfu is stll soft and flowing, but usually without its tremendous force.

Cotton Palm was known as an internal art and was very powerful. It would be difficult for many people, especially in Western societies, to image how one could be very powerful without using muscular strength. Indeed, muscular strength is strictly discouraged.

This is a very significant thought I learned in practicing high-level kungfu, i.e. one must not use muscular strength. In fact, the more relaxed practitioner is, the more powerful he becomes. If he tensese his muscles, he blocks his energy flow which contributes to internal force. Some kungfu practitioners may know this principle, but they never have any chance to experience it.

I recalled the time when I learned Wuzuquan from Sifu Chee Kim Thong, the living treasure of the People’s Republic of China. His eldest son, Sifu Chee Boon Leong, who taught us on behalf of his father, always reminded us “mg meng yong lak” which in the Fujian dialect means “not to use strength’.

At that time I did not know how to develop internal force, though I could experience it from my sihengs, or senior classmates, who were very powerful but did not use any muscular strength. I believed like most people that if I practiced the technique over a long time, I would eventually have internal force. Our students are very lucky; they know the underlying philosophy and have the necessary skillsto acquire internal force. It was later when I learned from Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, the third generation successor from the Shaolin Monastery at Quanzhou in South China, that I developed some internal force of my own.

Many years before this when I was learning from Uncle Righteousness, I learned a Cotton Palm set from a sidai, or junior classmate. This set was from Praying Mantis Kungfu, and was just called Cotton Palm. But I did not know how to develop Cotton Palm force. I just learned the routine. Most people, then and now, just learn the routine.

When I prepare myself to teach Cotton Palm, I read all I could from whatever sources I could get. From my understanding and practice, and from what I gathered from whatever resources I could get, I clmposed a new set of Wudang Cotton Palm, which was taught at the UK Summer Camp this year, 2017/ It is a marvelous set, not only for combat but more significantly for our daily living.

A lot of wonderful things are embedded in the Cotton Palm set. Wudang Cotton Palm is the climax of Shaolin kungfu development. When Shaolin Kungfu is practiced correctly, it gives good health, vitality, longevity, peak performace and spiritual joys besides combat efficiency. Unfortunately, most Shaolin and other martial art practitioners do not have these wonderful benefits. Worse, they harm themselves in their tensed training and ruthless sparring. Wudang Cotton Palm is more than ordinary Shaolin Kungfu. It is its climax.

How does Wudang Cotton Palm give these wonderful benefitsin a short time and at a high level? The chi flow in the practice of Wudang Cotton Palm gives good health, vitality and longevity. When blockage is clear by chi flWhen the chi flow is vigorous, he has vitality. When he has accumulated a lot of chi from his chi flow, he has longevity.

Wudang Cotton Palm develops mental clarity and internal force., which in turn contributes to peak performance. The chi flow in his practice of Wudang Cotton Palm open his heart and sets his spirit free, giving him peace, happiness and freedom. Wudang Cotton Palm is a marvelous set.

<End>
                            Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Thank You Sigung for answering the question and Tim for getting the Cotton Palm Q&A rolling.

Amongst many other thing it's a really interesting insight that the set has links to the great Zhang San Feng and Praying Mantis Kungfu.

Thanks again Sigung
                              With Gratitude

James
                              Aaahhhhh!

Comment

Question 7

Question 7 Part 1

Question 7

Dear Sigung,

You told us and gave us an experience of all the amazing benefits that Cotton Palm could bring. How is it that Cotton Palm is so efficient in spiritual cultivation? Is it more beneficial than other arts in our school? How can we apply Cotton Palm to benefit our spiritual practices?

Miguel

Answer

Cotton Pam is so effective in Spiritual cultivation because of the flowing force in Cotton Palm.

For convenience, we may divide spiritual cultivation into three levels, namely the level of being peaceful and happy, the level of being compassionate and wise, and the level of merging with the Cosmos. Flowing force is needed for each of the three levels.

Flowing force is not only available in Cotton Palm, it is found at a very high level. Consolidating force, which is good for combat but inot conducive for spiritual cultivation is not present in Cotton Palm.

At the first level, to be peaceful and happy one needs flowing force. Flowing force sooths the spirit, making the person peaceful. Flowing force opens the heart, making the person happy. The more powerful and abundant the flowing force is, provided it is not too powerful or abundant that it leads to over-training, the more peaceful and happy the practitioner will be.

On the other hand, consolidating force, if done inappropriately, may be detrimental to peacefulness and happiness. Instead of soothing the spirit, consolidating force may harden the spirit. Instead of opening the heart, consolidating force may clog the heart.

At the intermediate level, flowing force contributes to being compassionate and wise. When a person’s force is flowing, it expands his spirit, making him more compassionate. Consolidating force tends to condense the spirit, making him exertive. Flowing force spreads his wisdom, making him ore wise. Consolidating force concentrate his wisdom, making him deep.

At the highest level, flowing force sets his spirit free, letting his spirit exand into the Cosmos. When the flowing force is little, he expands a little. When the flowing force is a lot, he expands a lot. The flowing force in Cotton Palm is both a lot an powerful.

On the other hand, consolidating force strengthen the spirit, making the spirit strong. The flowing force in Cotton Palm is also very powerful; it is more than enough to strengthen the spirit.

Cotton Pam is amongst the most powerful art in all schools and disciplines for spiritual cultivation. It is also most powerful for combat and for daily life.

(Part 2 follows)
                                Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X