Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zen Intensive in Hawaii Q&A

Hello friends and visitors,

2014 is shaping up to be an unprecedented year in Shaolin Wahnam. Looking at the course schedule, I can't help but think, "And I thought we were spoilt for choice before!"

Amongst these course offerings is a most intriguing course that many of us have requested for several years. From July 9-11 in Hawaii, Sigung will teach his first ever Intensive Zen course. Yes, you read that right: this will be an Intensive-level Zen course...in Hawaii!

To be honest, I have very little idea what to expect, I just know it will be awesome, and I'm sure many of you are in the same boat. So here's your chance to ask whatever you like about it. Sigung has kindly agreed to answer the top questions we post here.

Fire away! I have a feeling this will be an eye-opening thread
    Chris Didyk
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Dear Chris my friend,

I was able to organise and take personally part on a one fay Zen course much less of intensitity and profundity you will be able to have.

The course was indeed mindblowing and it changed many further progresses of students and of myself tremendously.

In Zen spirit I would love to share that the best preparation is to not expect anything just take the moments as they are.

I have some questions to ask Sifu:

1. Could you please tell us about the three dimensions of mind training in Zen?

2. Could you please elaborate them?

3. You told us that the great Zen and Shaolin patriarch Bodhidharma put emphasis on the so called sudden approach. Enlightment can be achieved in the here and now. How could we possibly transfer this approach into for instance our own Chi Kung training? Could it be that with our high level Chi Kung which is a legacy of the Great Bodhidharma for example blockages even deep rooted once just get cleared suddenly? Could this approach also lead to the fact that our Kung Fu students achieve for example in a one day force training course in Zhan Zhuang as much as many other martial artists maybe in ten years?

Best regards,

Roland
    "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
    Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Which Zen story is Sifu's favorite?

Sincerely,

Mark Blohm
      Last edited by Mark Blohm; 29 March 2014, 12:13 PM.
      Facebook

"Then how could chi kung overcome diseases where the cause is unknown or when there is no cure? The question is actually incorrect. The expressions "the cause is unknown" and "there is no cure" are applicable only in the Western medical paradigm. The expressions no longer hold true in the chi kung paradigm. In the chi kung paradigm the cause is known, and there is a cure."

-Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Dear Sifu ,

Historically , is the sudden Enlightenment of the Art of Zen only possible due to prior gradual progression in Zen fundamentals ( as in a time toiling hard working millionaire ) ?

Or did sudden Enlightenment without gradual preparation also happen due to a Buddha's grace ( as in someone who instantly inherited a million from a gracious benefactor without having to do any work ) ? .

Or somewhere in between ( as in a sincere student's one step of devotional effort being reciprocated by 10 steps of Grace from the Master ) ?

Prefaced to the above questions is the seemingly impossibility of completely cleansing ( without a speck of dirt ) all accumulated karma from countless lifetimes in the here in now without factoring in the Grace of Buddha which make anything possible .

Thank you Sifu and thank you Chris .
        Last edited by Damian Kissey; 29 March 2014, 02:17 PM.
        Damian Kissey
        Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
        www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Zen Questions

Thank you Chris and Sigung,

This seems like an excellent opportunity.

1) In Buddhism it is often written that the last thought of a person before dying is very important. In Zen the focus is no thought. Could you elaborate on this seeming Koan.

2) In olden times, Zen masters would sometimes hit a student with a stick. One of the reasons for this was to unblock energy. However, sometimes this also caused an awakening. Is there a relation between the flow of energy, or maybe even a deep release of energy and the experience of satori, or even complete awakening.

3) In our school we use Entering Zen, which I experience as a skill. It is transmitted, then we learn to induce it ourselves, and by practicing over time the experience deepens. Even “Merging with the Cosmos”, is a skill. A satori is described in ancient texts as a sudden awakening. What is the relation between these skills we learn, and the Satori that is descibed in the ancient texts.

Totally looking forward to see how this thread develops!!

Jeroen

PS: I am sure the Zen Intensive will be amazing!!

Comment

Another Wonderful Opportunity :-)

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

What an amazing opportunity again. I want to thank Sifu for his endless generosity. I also want to thank Chris Sifu for starting another incredible Q & A series. It is such a joy to belong to this family! :-)

Here comes my question:

Dear Sifu, I always wondered who did you learn Zen from. May you share with us please?

Thank you so much Sifu. I really value your teachings. My life finally has joy and I know that it will get better and better. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santiago

Comment

Indeed another amazing opportunity!

Thanks Sijat for mediating this series of questions and answers

Dear Sifu,

If I may broach a few questions:
              • What would be the best way for students to prepare to attend this Intensive Zen Course?
              • Will Gong-Ans feature as a training or testing tool as part of the Course?
              • What benefits in daily life will participants be able to realise after taking this landmark Course?

Many thanks,
              Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
              Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
              Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
              - ancient wisdom

Comment

Dear Sigung,

From what I understand, endless love and compassion are hallmarks of enlightened beings. Could Sigung please discuss love and compassion in Zen? Thank you.

Sincerely,

Andrew
                Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thank you for another opportunity to ask questions. I am really looking forward to the Intensive Zen course in July. I had a quick question:

What techniques, skills and kung-fu sets are notable for cultivating Zen in Shaolin Wahnam?

Thank you again Sifu for taking the time to answer questions, I'm really looking forward to the answers and the many benefits they will bring. Also another thanks to Chris Sihing for looking after this thread.

With best regards and Shaolin salute,
                  -Chris

Comment

Dear Sifu Chris

Thank you for opening this thread up.

Dear Sigung

In your book The Complete Book of Zen you mentioned non-Buddhist Zen as one type of Zen cultivation. Since I come from a Christian background I'm particularly interested in this approach.

I understand that Chi Kung is a spiritual, but not a religious practice, and in one of the recent interviews you gave, I heard you talking about Buddhism and Taoism as not being "religions", but "teachings". I take that the same can apply to Zen.

My question is: how do personal beliefs affect one's Zen cultivation?

I'm asking this, because there are certain doctrines in Zen Buddhism I don't personally subscribe to (i.e. reincarnation) and I'm wondering how this is going to affect my Zen cultivation. Does it put me in more disadvantageous situation than Zen practitioners who follow their path more "completely", so to speak?

If I may, I would also like to ask what are the most essential Zen aspects of our Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung practice and how to efficiently approach applying some of those elements into one's daily life?

Thank you for this opportunity.

With Shaolin Salute
                    Jacek

Comment

Dear Chris,

Thank you for facilitating this exciting thread.

Dear Sifu,

Thank you for receiving our questions.

I would like to ask:

Sifu has kindly transmitted "One Finger Shooting Zen" to us. Some might say that the name is self-evident, and that the benefits of "One Finger Shooting Zen" should be directly experienced instead of discussed. Nonetheless, I would like to respectfully ask what the significance is of the words 'shooting' and 'zen' in this art? Thank you.

Shaolin salute - with gratitude, love and respect,

Emiko
                      Emiko Hsuen
                      www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                      www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
                      Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                      4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
                      Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
                      Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
                      Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
                      Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
                      To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

Dear Sigung,

Does Sigung have a particular memory of first experiencing a Zen awakening?

Sincerely,
                        Andrew
                        Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Dear Sifu

Thank you for this opportunity, and thanks to Chris for facilitating this.

My question is about Zen and family life.

Many in Shaolin Wahnam are dedicated spouses and parents, following the example of our dear Sifu.

Some people have said that the Buddha, in leaving his family to pursue Enlightenment was not responsible. Even though he made sure his young child was in good hands before he left, some may feel that he did not do his complete duty as a father to bring his child up. On the other hand, I recall Sifu stating in a Q&A that the Buddha’s son later became his disciple as well. This has always intrigued me - what seems to the mortal world as irresponsible may turn out to be the best decision although the wisdom behind it was not obvious at that time.

What is Sifu’s view on how we should balance our duties as spouses and parents, and the quest to seek deeper spirituality?
                          百德以孝为先
                          Persevere in correct practice

Comment

These are some great questions, guys! I look forward to reading Sigung's answers

And if you think up any more, please keep them coming! While it's more fun to discuss Zen with Sigung at the dinner table, we are lucky to have this opportunity at our "virtual dinner table"
                            Chris Didyk
                            Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Dear Sifu,

When we spar or fight how should we deal with emotions? In the Zen approach are emotions something to let go of? Are they a hindrance to being combat efficient? Or should we focus our emotions in a fight?

Thank you,

Sham.

Comment

Working...
                              X