More FUN! 36 Strategies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dear Family,

What a wonderful week we are having in KL at the Chi Kung Healing course. Sifu has kindly, in the middle of everything, sent me the last three answers of the strategies.

You are all going to have a lot of fun reading them.

Thank you Munjinder for your laptop. You are an angel!

Speak to you all soon,
    Joan

Question 8

Is there a strategy from this list that you are particularly fond of, or have found particularly useful in daily life or in fighting?

Thank you once again for your time Sifu!

Sifu Roeland, Holland

Answer

No, there is no one special strategy in this list of Strategies 13 to 18 shown below that I am particularly fond of, but on hindsight I found I used the strategy, To Catch So Release, quite frequently in my fighting.

13. Hit Grass Startle Snake
    14. Borrow Body to Reincarnate
    15. Trick Tiger Leave Mountain
    16. To Catch So Release
    17. Throw Stone Attract Jade
    18. Catch Bandits Catch Leader

During sparring or actual fighting I did not employ the strategy consciously, but looking back that was what I did.

I remember quite clearly an actual fight I had with a good Muay Thai fighter many years ago.

I drove to Penang on some business, the details of which I could not remember. I wanted to park my car at an only space for parking opposite the famous Guan Yin Temple along Pitt Street. You know “Sifu’s parking”. I am always lucky, and can find a most suitable spot to park even in situations most other people would consider impossible.

Just after parking my car, a car in front backed along mine. The driver came out and started scolding in a loud voice. I wanted to move out of the parking space to let him have it, but his car was blocking mine.

Eventually he said, “Do you want to fight?”

“Well, that’s interesting,” I thought to myself. I had not been fighting for some time, but previously I went around looking for black-belts for friendly sparring.

Then I was a woman in his car.

“Tour girlfriend is in your car. It’s isn’t a good time to fight.”

“You’re a gentleman.” I still remember clearly he said that, exactly the same words. “She’s my wife. Please follow my car. I’ll drop for at work, and then we can fight.”

I did. We landed at a quiet place somewhere behind St Georges’ Girls School where no one watched us fight. He was a good Muay Thai fighter. His moves were fast and powerful, and I avoided his attack initially. Exploiting an opening I moved in to give a gentle tap on his groin.

He jumped back and attacked me again. After deflecting his attacks I gripped his throat gently, then let him go.

As he was panting as I said, “I thought the fight should be over!”

“I know you hit my groin and gripped my throat, but I can still fight.”

That was typical of Muay Thai fighters and exponents of other martial arts apart from kungfu. Kungfu exponents would have conceded defeat graciously. Other fighters would fight to the end until they couldn’t fight further.

So I thought that the next time I would put him in a position he could not fight further. As I was not prepared to smash his head or fracture his arm, I thought a good tactic would be putting him onto the ground.

This I did, with my grip again gently on his throat. He was agile. He turned his body and kicked, and I rolled away.

By then he was panting heavily. I calmly told him, “Have a rest, and when you are ready we can fight again.”

He did have a rest. Then he walked to me, the first time he appeared in a friendly manner.

“You’re a good fighter,” he said. “I have never lost a match!”

I gave him my name-card.

“Oh, no wonder. You’re a Shaolin grandmaster. When we meet the next time I’ll treat you to Hainanese chicken rice.”

Hainanese chicken rice, which is very fragrant, is a delicacy in Penang.

On my return home to Sungai Petani, when I told the story to my wife, she was shock. “How could you give your name-card to him. He may ambush you!”

Men are hopelessly careless. But no ambush came, nor the chicken rice.

<End>
    Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
    GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
    ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
    THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thank you so much for this amazing answer! This has just become my favourite Kung Fu story. I am also deeply impressed by the way you used this strategy to make someone who is hostile friendly. ( Even though he was not generous enough to buy you dinner.)

Roeland
      www.shaolinwahnam.nl
      www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

What a great story!

Comment

Question 9

My Dear Family,

Yes, what a great story from Sifu to highlight the strategies. Thank you Sifu and Thank you Sifu Roeland for the question.

Now on to another great question from Binia. A situation which I am sure many of you may find yourselves in from time to time. Thank you Binia!

Thank you Sifu for another very insightful view on the strategies.

Question 9
          Sigung, at my work one of my main tasks and responsibility is to solve problems and to make decisions that must be then often executed by my colleagues. What would be a gentle but profound and cost-effective way to “attack" their listening and/or understanding when sometimes required? For my private and family life the word “attack" feels more uncomfortable and unnatural to me. Which one of these attacks would you consider the most elegant, soft and feminine that could help me to change my perception?

Binia, Switzerland

Answer generously given by our dear Sifu- Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

In your work situations, the strategy, “Borrow Body to Reincarnate”, would be most suitable as a gentle but profound and cost-effective way to get your colleagues act on your decisions. The “body” you use will be your boss, who is also their boss.

Suppose your boss has asked you to decide which of the three companies A, B and C you should work with in a project, and you have decided on A., and the action has to be carried out by your colleagues.

If you tell your colleagues, “Now I want you to work with Company A,” they may not like it, though they may still carry out the action., which may also be less effective due to their hard feelings.

If you say, “The boss wants you to work with Company A”, the instruction becomes more gentle and also more cost-effective as they are paid by the boss to do the work.

Your colleagues may or may not know that it is actually your decision, and not your boss. Suppose they say, “It’s your decision, not the boss’ decision,” you can sweetly reply, “Like you, I’m working for the boss, and he has the final say.”

This is profound because your colleagues will, consciously or unconsciously, want to be nice to you, so that your decisions on behalf of the boss may make life easier for them.

In your private and family life, the strategy, Throw Stone Attract Jade, will be useful. Suppose your friends or family are debating which of three restaurants, A. B and C, you all should go for dinner, and you have decided on A.

Instead of saying, “I’ve decided on A, so let’s all go to A”, which may be taken by some as aggressive, you can say, “A is a nice restaurant. What do you all think?”

More often than not, all will agree to go to A, otherwise there would not be any deliberation which restaurant to go to if someone had a preference earlier.

If there is still some hesitation, though not objection, you can add, “Many people have said A provides good food.”

If someone counter-proposes Restaurant B, before he can elaborate you add gently, “We can go to B if you want I don’t know about the food in B. It may be good or it may not be. We can take a risk. But I am certain the food in A is good. There is no risk.”

You throw a stone, i.e. your decision. You attract jade, i.e. a perception that you are considerate.

END

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
          GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
          ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Question 10.

My Dear Family,

Here is a lovely treat for you on this very special day for the Irish- Happy St. Patrick's Day to everybody.

It is another wonderful clear answer, thank you Sifu and thank you Andy for the question.

Question 10

Assuming one particular strategy is the answer to Dominic's question above, could I ask; what secondary (or other) strategy has good applications in marketing and business expansion?

Sifu Andy

Answer by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

In my answer to Dominic’s question, I have provided different strategies for different situations. But if I were to choose only one strategy for him, I would choose Catch Bandits Catch leader, which means marketing to rich clients instead of mediocre ones.

The time and effort for work are about the same, but the income is two or three times more, and complaints and clients’ fussiness are usually less. You must, of course, provide high quality work to justify for your high price.

I would also recommend the same strategy, Catch Bandits Catch Leader, to you for your coaching or self-development business in your marketing and expansion. In other words, market to and expand amongst wealthy clients, not poor ones. For about the same amount of time and effort, you earn more money and has less complaints and clients’ fussiness.

Your work, of course, must be of high quality, but not quantity. In fact, because your work is of high quality, the time taken for you to give advice to your clients and for them to carry it out will be less. A mediocre adviser takes 3 hours to give advice, and his clients 6 months to carry it out, yet without success. A good adviser takes an hour to give advice, and the client takes 3 months to carry it out and have good result.

If you have the best strategy, why go for second best? If you can market to clients who pay you 500 pounds an hour, why market to those who pay you 50 pounds. Nevertheless, for academic interest, I shall still provide you with a secondary strategy.

You may use the strategy, Hit Grass Startle Snake, which I took at random from the list for intellectual interest as a secondary strategy.

You can send letters to newspaper, articles to magazines, prepare pamphlets to be put in people’s mail boxes on the importance of seeking professional advise. This may startle the awareness of some clients to come to talk to you for 50 pounds an hour.

Although you didn’t ask this question, it would be beneficial to you and other readers to answer it. What advice should you give to your clients as a coaching counsellor or self-development adviser? Your advice should fulfil their need, not just talk about it.

Suppose a client comes to you and says he wants to get a wife.

You ask him to consider why he wants a wife, what qualities he looks for in a wife. You ask him to think over the answers carefully. Then you ask him what he thinks a wife would look for in a man, and whether he has these qualities.

Both of you talk for three hours, and he pays you 150 pounds for your advice, which is 50 pounds an hour. That is the last you see of him. That is also what many counsellors and advisers do.

Is your advice high-quality? No, your advice has not helped him fulfil his need. He came to ask you how to get a wife. He did not come to philosophize with you on a wife.

After attending some Zen and Strategies courses, you have become wiser. After some preliminaries which should take only a few minutes, you set out in steps to make things easy for your client what he should do, as follows.

1. Join a dancing class.
            2. Secretly evaluate the background of the woman you would like to marry. For ethical reasons, she must be available, i.e. she is unmarried, at least at the time you meet her.
            3. If you are satisfied with her background, date her. Your job is to make every date memorable and enjoyable for her, not for you.
            4. After about 5 dates, ask her to marry you. In case she declines your marriage, repeat the same procedure with another woman in another dancing class.

You take less than an hour to give him this set of advice to fulfil his need. He pays you 500 pounds for your advice. If he follows your advice, getting a wife is a matter of time, usually sooner than expected.

As a matter of fact, he may or may not get a wife. If he joins a boxing class instead of a dancing class, for example, or intellectualizes on how and when he should ask the woman to marry him instead of actually asking, he is unlikely to get a wife.

That is his problem, not yours. Your problem, or opportunity for his improvement, is to give good advice. If he follows your advice, he may come to see you again with his wife to thank you, and you can compliment him for getting a beautiful wife – certainly beautiful to him.

<End>

'That is his problem, not yours' is one of my favourite quotes from the last few months from Sifu.

With deepest respect,
            Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
            ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Sigung, dear Siguma

Posting my question has given me already many benefits indeed, so imagine the benefits I will get from Sigung's answer. So thank you very much indeed Sigung for your time, wisdom and care and thank you Siguma for the opportunity and all your sharing.
              It's indeed also a very nice welcome-gift while being back here in Berne again.

Kind regards, Binia

Comment

Q 11.

My Dear Family,

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Here is the last one! I know Kevin has been eagerly awaiting for this answer for some time, so today is your day Kevin

Question 11

Can we use any of the 36 Strategies to encourage family and friends to learn this wonderful art and derive the many benefits its practice can bring?

Sifu Kevin (Ireland)

Answer by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

Yes, of course. We can use everyone of the 36 strategies to encourage family and friends to learn our wonderful arts and derive many benefits.

Let us briefly see how some of the strategies in this course can be used.

When reading a newspaper we can highlight a new item reporting someone suffering from a so-called incurable disease.

“It’s really a pity,” you may say, “she is so young yet suffers from this incurable disease.”

Hopefully someone may comment. But if no one says anything, you can continue, “Jane, do you know of any of your friends who suffer from this disease, or any incurable disease?”

This may or may not lead to a short discussion about chi kung. Eventually, you say, slowly and loudly, “Actually these diseases are considered incurable in Western medicine. From the chi kung perspective, every disease can be cured! My teacher and my teacher’s teacher have cured many people who suffered from these diseases.”

If someone asks a question, it is timely. If not, you can continue, “Better still, you don’t have to wait to suffer from these diseases to practice chi kung. Practicing chi kung will prevent you from these diseases which can happen to anybody.”

You conclude by saying, “I’ll leave some reference material here. If you are interested you can check it up. It may turn out to be the best things you have ever done in your life.”

This is the strategy of Hit Grass Startle Snake.

You may propose to take your family members or friends for an outing. After some initial fun, you say you have to drop in at some place on the way to get some important material. You have to arrange with your sifu or a suitable instructor to have an elementary class running when you arrive.

Your sifu or the instructor invites you and the others to join the class for a few minutes for fun. Prior to this, arrange all chairs and tables to be taken away so that there is no place for anyone to sit.

These few minutes of chi kung should be exhilarating and hopefully encourage them to continue taking a class.

This is the strategy of Trick Tiger Leave Mountain.

When your friends or family members have difficulty performing some physical movements or are not agile, you ask them how old they are.

“I’m 32,” one may say.

Jokingly, you say, “By the manner you moved just now, I thought you were 50! But don’t worry, I’ll show you how you can be 25.”

Then you move quickly to show them some simple chi kung exercises, like Bear Walk or Swinging Hips, and ask them to follow you. The exercise must be simple so that they can follow you easily. Don’t correct their mistakes yet as this might spoil their interest.

When they are in a right mood, let them into some gentle chi flow, if possible, and let them enjoy themselves.

“Now you’re 25. Let’s go for a drink.”

Give them a phone number and say, “You can follow up with this phone number if you want more benefits.”

This is the strategy of Throw Stone Attract Jade.

<End>

How clever Sifu is!

I wish to thank Sifu sincerely for these wonderful answers in the Q&A series. Sifu is so generous and I am certain that his answers will have an impact on all of your lives.

Thank you also to everybody who has taken part and asked great questions. Well done and I am sure you have benefitted greatly both by asking and receiving Sifu's answer.

Knowledge of the 36 strategies is a wonderful addition to our syllabus, we have certainly learned a lot from taking the courses in Ireland and I could really see the improvement in the group between last year and this year.

The next set of strategies may be held at the UK Summer camp and details will be released shortly.

With deepest respect and appreciation,
                Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Sigung,

Thank you for another fabulous answer. This issue is of great interest to just about everyone, so thank you for your advice.

Thank you Sifu as well!

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                  X