Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank You From the Heart Sifu

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

This is amazing, isn't it? Isn't it wonderful that we have such a beautiful, loving, caring, generous and wise Grand Master by our side?

Thank you Sifu from the heart. Thanks Sifu Daniel too for all your greats efforts in contributing to the spread of this amazing arts that we practice.

I couldn't be feel luckier in this life. I still remember that Sifu said in a course that our Karma has to be very good if we had the chance to learn and practice these incredible arts. I understand now what Sifu meant. :-)

Thanks Sifu for being always so patient and loving us so much.

With Love, care and Shaolin Salute,

Santiago
    Last edited by sancrica; 19 April 2013, 07:52 PM. Reason: Grammar... :-)

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thank you for your honest and honourable answer to the Art of Lightness and for sharing your inspiring stories. Who would have thought where this thread would take us to?

A hallmark of Shaolin Wahnam is to practice what you teach and to teach what you practice. You are always setting a good example following this principle.

The Art of Lightness provides only a few benefits compared to other Shaolin arts, most of them being to please spectators. Nevertheless, like brother Tim (H.) likes to say, it would be a pity if this art would be lost.

I would not be surprised if one of our brothers and sisters would accomplish the art as a side effect of his/her training or by your personal teaching one day and would share it with the Wahnam family later on.

For the moment we will leave the flying to our movie heroes.

Thank you again, Sifu!

Best wishes,
      o\

Leo
      Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Wahnam Wien Logo

Shaolin Wahnam Wien
      Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung
      Southern Shaolin Kung Fu
      Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan

Shaolin Wahnam Wien on facebook
      Shaolin Wahnam Wien on YouTube

Comment

I´m glad you´re enjoying Sifu´s answers. Regarding to Art of Lightness Art:

18 Jewels Question-Answer 6 - Part 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 6

I would really like to learn the Art of Lightness one day!! A lot of people don't understand the purpose, but I'd love to learn it.

I can sometimes "think" the Art of Lightness, like the floating and controlling of energy in the body in the pattern of the Crane when coming down, or focusing the mind to a point at the sky, and running up a wall, and attacking a horde of enemies from the sides this way.

Haha, these are just fantasies, but it's interesting nevertheless.

Tim

Answer

Please read Answer 5 above, as much of the material there is relevant for this
        Question here.

It is great to have the Art of Lightness, but apart form novelty and preserving a classical art, its practical uses in our modern world are not many. This in fact is the main reason why I did not continue my training in the Art of Lightness afer recovering from my injury sustained during training.

The main uses of the Art of Lightness are to jump high, like over a wall, and to run fast and far, like running a marathon. Even when you can find a generous master willing to teach you, you have to dedicate yourself to practice daily for three years. Nowadays, you don’t normally need to jump up a roof or over a wall. If you need to jump up two or three floors, it is easier and more comfortable to take a lift. And it is also easier and more comfortable to drive a car if you wish to travel long distance fast.

When practitioners are sick, practicing the Art of Lightness does not overcome their illness, but aggravate it. If they are already healthy, their training can maintain their good health and promote their vitality. I am not sure of longevity for Art of Lightness practitioners.

You can overcome any illness by practicing Eighteen Jewels or Eighteen Lohan Hands. You are also sure of longevity as well as good health and vitality with your Eighteen Jewels or Eighteen Lohan Hands training. The time and effort needed to practice Eighteen Jewels and Eighteen Lohan Hands are both less and easier, and the training is also generally more pleasant.

The risks of wrong practice are much higher and the adverse effects more serious in the Art of Lightness. If one follows the instructions for the Art of Lightness in a book or from the internet, the chance of his wrong practice is as high as 70%, which is very high.

For Eighteen Jewels and Eighteen Lohan Hands, the risk is about 30%, and the adverse effects are not serious, unless students practicing on their own try to use high-level skills to operate these low-level techniques. But we are very fortunate in Shaolin Wahnam. Whatever adverse effects sustained from wrong training can be immediately erased by chi flow. Hence, in our case the risk is nil.

For the Art of Lightness where adverse effects from wrong practice is serious, like losing the ability to produce children, which also means losing the joy of wholesome sex, even if there is a risk of 10% he should not attempt it. His training should be perfectly safe before he attempts it, especially in today’s world where the Art of Lightness serves as a hobby and not a need.

The risks are high not because the instructions are wrong. In fact the instructions are usually correct. Then why do students practicing the correct instructions still have 70% chance of practicing wrongly if they follow the instructions exactly?

(Part 2 follows)
        Last edited by Daniel; 21 April 2013, 06:53 PM.
        Daniel Pérez
        http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Comment

18 Jewels Question-Answer 6 - Part 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Continued from Part 1)

There are two reasons. One, the instructions are incomplete. Two, even when the instructions are complete, students practicing on their own do not have the necessary skills.

The instructions may be incomplete in two aspects, quantitatively and qualitatively. Quantitatively, suppose there are five steps in one movement, but only one step is mentioned. Qualitatively, words are inadequate to explain what exactly needs to be done in a step.

Let us take a simple example, that of jumping up from a hole to the level ground. Normally the instruction is just that when recorded in a classic: “Jump up from the hole to the level ground”.

Other steps are usually not described, such as bend your knees slightly as you begin to jump, spring up with your toes, gently breath in though your mouth in the process of jumping up and let you chi rise to your chest, gently hold your breath in the process, breathe out through your mouth as you land, and let your chi gently sink to your feet.

Classics were not written as teaching manuals. They were meant for students who practiced under the supervision of a master, and also meant as a concise record for posterity. Instructions like the examples above which students practicing with a master would know, were not given.

Even if instructions are given in full, words are not adequate to describe exactly what students have to do. For example, in the full instructions above how much they should bend their knees or how should they spring up with their toes, cannot be adequately described in words. Only an experienced teacher seeing their students perform can tell whether the students are carrying out the instructions correctly. And if they make mistakes, it is through direct example that the teacher can show the correct movements.

The second important reason is that even if students learning from a book or the internet follow the given instructions exactly, they may not have the skills to do so. For example, letting chi gently sink to the feet is a special skill, without which students cannot perform the technique correctly even when they understand the meaning of the instruction. It is likely that they perform this skill wrongly and derive hernia or varicose veins instead.

Not realizing that skills are more important than techniques is a main reason why many people try to learn an art from a book, or mistakenly thinking that all teachers teaching the art are the same. They make a big mistake of thinking that if they have the techniques they will know the art.

Thinking, but unlike the way you have described, is an advanced aspect of the training for the Art of Lightness. It is intuitive thinking, and is referred to as the mind aspect. The other aspect is referred to as the energy aspect, and it deals with regulating breathing and directing energy flow. Physical movements like jumping and landing are referred to as the physical aspect.

Thinking with the rational mind is intellectualizing, which is one of the don’ts in our three golden rules of practice, which are don’t worry, don’t intellectualize, and enjoy your practice. These three golden rules can also be rewardingly applied to everyday life.

When you eat your breakfast, for example, don’t worry how you are going to eat your breakfast, don’t intellectualize on why you have to eat your breakfast and just enjoy eating your breakfast.

If you aim to become a successful chi kung healer, don’t worry on how to start chi kung healing, don’t intellectualize on why you become a chi kung healer and not a medical doctor, and start healing people with chi kung and enjoying doing so.
          Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear all,

There was a mistake in the Answer 6 Part 2 on the Art of Lightness, as follows:

Breathe in through the nose, (and not through the mouth as wrongly typed), in the process of jumping up.

Greetings,
            Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thank you, for sharing these insights, and glimpses of this fascinating Art.

Tim

Comment

This is mostly speculation/intellectualization, but also somewhat based on my own direct experience -

In answer #3, Sifu desribes the relationship between techniques and skills with regard to low vs. high level. Sifu says that in our school, we do not necessarily have to practice high level arts (techniques) to develop the high level skills. I believe this could also be true for the Art of Lightness.

My experience was several years ago at the Two Finger Zen course, in Florida. We were outside, using Two Finger Zen to develop a vigorous chi flow, after which we were instructed to run freely around the large area. I took off running, feeling very free, happy, and fast. Running was effortless. So effortless, in fact, that as I came upon a bush, I decided to jump over it, rather than run around it. That, too was effortless.

I then came upon bush #2. Having enjoyed leaping the first bush, I decided to jump over this one as well. As I got close to the bush, and began my jump, I realized there was more to bush #2 than previously thought! In fact, there was a bush, a few feet of bark mulch, and then a large log. Just before my foot left the ground, I had a spontaneous, gentle thought, "up!" With no more effort than my first jump, I covered nearly 3x the distance, landed softly beyond the log, and continued running along.

Running around in vigorous chi flow allowed many/all of the course participants to directly experience Art of 1000 Steps without having practiced the formal techniques. In addition to this, I believe I also had a glimpse of Art of Lightness, without any formal practice.

-Matt

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experience, Matt Siheng.

Now I need to adjust my prior statement
                  I would not be surprised if one of our brothers and sisters would accomplish the art as a side effect of his/her training or by your personal teaching one day and would share it with the Wahnam family later on.
                  to:
                  I am not surprised, but amazed, that one of our brothers and sisters has accomplished the art as a side effect of his/her training, or at least had a glimpse of it.

Congratulations!

Best wishes, o\

Leo
                  Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Wahnam Wien Logo

Shaolin Wahnam Wien
                  Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung
                  Southern Shaolin Kung Fu
                  Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan

Shaolin Wahnam Wien on facebook
                  Shaolin Wahnam Wien on YouTube

Comment

Thank you for sharing Matt Siheng. I have an experience, not practise related, but from my childhood.

In our first house we lived, I wasn't older then 8 years, I always wanted to jump of the set of stairs from the first floor. A normal, diagonal staircase, the usual height to an upper floor. So even for an adult high enough to hurt yourself and brake some bones if you fall off it. If you look down a staircase, and take a small jump forward, you would end up one or a few treads lower. So to reach all the way to the lower floor, you need to cross all treads of the staircase, so you have to take quite the leap.

Every day I challenged myself and my brother to jump from the staircase, all the way down. One morning, my mother wakes me up, and I decided to do finally do it, and jumped down.

I litterally "floated" down. I didn't fall, or tumbled, but floated over the whole set of stairs untill I got to the ground! I can remember the experience still very well. From the initial excitement and doubt of taking the leap, to the floating all the way without touching one single tread, all the way to the ground. I told everyone, my mother, brother, but nobody ever believed me But I have never forgotten this.

Fascinating for sure

Comment

18 Jewels Question-Answer 7 - Part 1

Question 7

When I learned Shaking Fingers at the Healing course, I felt my scalp deeply massaged. It was deeper than my scalp, it went deep inside to the nerve endings and everything else that is in there. It also became incredibly itchy. My students get the same effect!

Would it be true to say that this 'simple' exercise would be good for people who suffer from Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson’s and perhaps even Alzheimer’s?

Sifu Joan Browne, Chief Instructor of Shaolin Wahnam Ireland

Answer

You had such high-level result performing a low-level exercise because even without your conscious knowing you employed high-level skills. You operated at the mind level, which is the highest level to perform any chi kung exercise.

This is a problem or privilege – depending on one’s perspective – that many of our students face, often without their being consciously aware of it.

Usually it brings remarkable result, and the students are surprised. Sometimes it results in over-cleansing, and they are also surprised.

In my teaching, especially in my Intensive Chi Kung Course or high-level regional courses like Cosmic Shower and Bone Marrow Cleansing, I make it a point to tell students not to over-train. I tell beginning students to purposely perform at a low level, and that even if they have a quarter of the benefits they get at my courses, it is more than enough for their needs, and it more than what most other people get in their training.

Advanced practitioners can understand my advice, but beginning students even if they understand what I say, may not appreciate its significance. I

t is natural that people want to get the best they can. Hence, they go for the most powerful techniques and skills. Not many people have the wisdom to realize that if the exercises they perform are more powerful than their needs, not only they do not get the best result, it may be harmful to them.

Even when they understand this, because what most other chi kung practitioners practice is merely gentle physical exercise without any chi kung benefit, our beginning students, and sometimes even our advanced ones, do not appreciate that practicing at a low level means practicing at a low level, and not practicing at a level slightly lower than what has been taught at the course, which is still a very high level.

An example will make this point clear. The figures are not exact, but they give a clear picture of what is happening.

In an Intensive Chi Kung Course or a regional course on Cosmic Shower, I ask students to perform Carrying the Moon, and lead them to have a cosmic shower. Then I ask them to let cosmic energy strengthen them physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. The amount of increased energy the students feel is incredible. Let us quantify the increase to be 10,000 units of energy.

For other practitioners to have an increase of 10,000 units of energy, it would take them more than a year. They would not have this increase in the very first year of their training. For the first few years they would be performing chi kung techniques as gentle physical exercise, without any notion of energy.

Only after a few years when they have picked up the skills of generating an energy flow, can they start to accumulate energy, all these without their conscious knowing. The amount of energy they accumulate for each session is not much – usually too little for them to feel it. Suppose they accumulate 100 units of energy per session, which is a generous estimate.

They do not accumulate 100 units of energy every training session. They only do so when their performance of techniques is perfect, rendering their practice from gentle physical exercise to chi kung. Suppose they unknowingly perform chi kung and not just gentle physical exercise every three days, which again is a generous estimate. But they will not take 100 practice sessions or 300 days to accumulate 10,000 units of energy because as they do not accumulate energy every day, they miss the benefit of accumulated effect. Let us be generous again, and estimate that they take one year.

Our students can build 10,000 units of energy in one day, whereas other practitioners need one year. Even when our students perform at only 10%, they can produce 1,000 units of energy, which is 10 times more than what other practitioners produce in each productive session. This gives an ideal of how much our students can purposely lower themselves so as not to over-train.
                      (Part 2 follows)
                      Daniel Pérez

Comment

I did not learn chi flow from any of my sifus the way it is now taught in our school. It was evolved from my early years of teaching. I confirmed both the nature and benefits of chi flow experienced by my students with what I read in chi kung classics.
                        Dear Sifu,

It is fantastic to know that you have dedicated your time to evolving and improving chi kung methods. What inspiration!

Shaolin Salute.

Comment

18 Jewels Question-Answer 7 - Part 2

(Continued from Part 1)

Chi kung operates at three levels:

1. Form.
                          2. Breathing.
                          3. Mind.

The division into form, breathing and mind is for convenience. All the three components – form, breathing and mind – are present in all chi kung. As a rough estimate, the proportion of benefit obtain from form, breathing and mind is 1, 3, 6.

This means that of the 10,000 units of energy derived from a chi kung exercise, 1,000 units is due to form, 3,000 unites is due to breathing, and 6,000 units is doe to mind. This applies to chi kung in general, like in dynamic patterns such as Lifting the Sky and Carrying the Moon.

But in advanced chi kung like Cosmic Shower, as those who have performed this exercise can tell, form and breathing are preliminary, more than 90% of the energy is obtain through mind.

It is a common mistake to think that to operate at the mind level, a practitioner must visualize. Indeed, for untrained persons, visualization will distract from the mind level. Although visualization is used in some cases, like in Cosmic Shower, it is used intuitively, nor rationalizing or intellectualizing.

How effective a practitioner operates at the mind level is how deep he enters into a chi kung state of mind. As all our students enter into a chi kung state of mind right at the beginning of any chi kung exercise, they operate at the mind level, with or without visualization, and with or without their realizing it.

It is this chi kung state of mind that is a crucial difference between how our students and other practitioners practice chi kung. Later I introduced the chi kung state of mind, known as entering Zen or entering Tao, into our Shaolin Kungfu, Taijiquan and all styles of kungfu practiced in our school. At once it transforms our kungfu, whatever its style, and even for beginners, into an internal art.

We have to thank the great chi kung master from China, Sifu Yan Xin, for the chi kung state of mind. When I read about the incredible achievements of Sifu Yan Xin, he emphasized the chi kung state of mind, a term which I believe he coined.

This reminded me of a modern chi kung classic many years ago, written by Sifu Liu Gui Zhen, who I believe was the first to use the term “chi kung” in modern times. Previously, it was known as “bei kung” or internal art. What Sifu Liu Gui Zhen wrote puzzled me at that time, though I fully understood what he wrote.

He defined chi kung as performing relevant techniques in a special state of mind. I was puzzled because he did mentioned about chi or about breathing. In other words, according to Sifu Liu Gui Zhen, when one performs any technique in this special state of mind even when there is no obvious chi flow and no conscious regulating of breathing, it is chi kung.

I also recalled what my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, told me. If your mind were wandering, you should not practice any chi kung as there would ne no benefit.

Some of the greatest lessons are learned outside formal classes. At the time these greatest of lessons did not seem specially important, but they have brought fantastic benefits to our school.

Yes, it is true that “simple” exercises can be excellent for people who suffer from Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and any diseases!

In the chi kung paradigm, any disease, including Alzheimer’s, is due to energy blockage. When a practitioner performs Shaking Fingers, which will generate an energy flow which can eventually clear blockage and overcome any disease. How effective a practitioner can achieve this result depends on how well he uses his skills.

For an untrained person, when he shakes his fingers, as what the technique Shaking Fingers actually is, he does so physically, and nothing significant happens, except that he may tired his hands, or if he does so gently he may relax them.

For a chi kung practitioner not of our school, when he shakes his hands, also nothing significant happens. But if he persists on doing this exercise for some time, if he is lucky he may perform the technique ideally, spontaneously generating an energy flow, usually without his conscious knowing. This energy flow is not strong, and may just give him a tinkling sensation on his fingers, which he may regard as marvelous.

But you are a highly skilled practitioner. When you shake your fingers, even casually like when you did while just picking up the technique during the Chi Kung Healing Course, you generate a tremendous amount of energy flow that flows up your arms to your head, into the bone marrow and cleanses it. Bone marrow in Chinese terms refers to nerves in Western terms.

Hence, by performing Shaking Fingers you are able to cleanse the nerves in your head as well as all over your nervous system. You are also able to transmit the skill to your students.
                          (Part 3 follows)
                          Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thank you so much for such an incredible answer, I know there is another part coming but I just want to voice my deepest appreciation for part 1 + 2.

It has certainly deeped my own understanding and gratitude for our Arts.

Dear Daniel,

Thank you so much for this excellent opportunity to be able to ask Sifu questions on the 18 Jewels. Sifu's answers to all of the questions are also Jewels

With deepest respect,
                            Joan
                            Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
                            GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                            ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
                            THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear all,

Thank you for your questions and posts...and specially, thanks for Sifu for his generous answers.

Here we have the last answer:

18 Jewels Question-Answer 7 - Part 3

(Continued from Part 2)

As Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson’s are problems of the nervous system, Bone Marrow Cleansing using the technique of Shaking Fingers or other suitable techniques is effective in overcoming those diseases. Bone Marrow Cleansing is also effective in overcoming diseases like allergies and auto-immune syndrome.

I do not know the Western medical explanation for Alzheimer’s, but from the chi kung perspective which I have used to help countless people overcome so-called incurable diseases, Alzheimer’s and any diseases are caused by energy blockage. Once the blockage is cleared, the patient will regain his natural good health, regardless of whet name we call the disease and whether we know the intermediate causes.

Those who are not familiar with chi kung or traditional Chinese medical philosophy may think the concept of energy blockage weird. But if they suffer from so-called incurable diseases and do not bother to check whether our claims are true, and if true they do not seek us for help, they are not just prejudiced but are actually foolish.

I have helped many people overcome Alzheimer’s, and the following story would be inspiring. An elderly student e-mailed me that his wife of about the same age suffered from Alzheimer’s, and that he requested me to give her a personalized chi kung course.

I replied that she needed not come for a personalized course, which was expensive. I could teach him some relevant exercises which he could teach her. If she practiced regularly her Alzheimer’s would be overcome. As he had attended my Intensive Chi Kung Course as well as Intensive Taijiquan Course before, he would have the necessarily skills to impart to her. If they had any doubt, they could check with a Chief Instructor who was staying nearby.

But he wrote back and begged me for the personalized course. He must love his wife very much.

The personalized course was held in Cinta Sayang in Sungai Petani. His wife’s Alzheimer’s was really bad, far worse than what I thought. She could not remember the move I just taught her! But she completed the course successfully. I was so sure of her recovery that I did not follow up to ask him about it. But events later indicated that she recovered completely.

As a sideline, the Chief Instructor told me that this student endearingly said his wife as “cheap”. If he did not pay an expensive price for the course, his wife would not practice and therefore would not recover. There was much wisdom in what he said.

Many years later the student wrote to me again, telling me that he could not walk. He requested for a personalized course. I did not ask him the cause of his inability to walk, as I did not need to because ultimately the cause was energy blockage.

This time the personalized course was held in Copthrone Hotel in Penang. The student arrived on a wheel-chair, accompanied by his wife, who could still recognize me despite her serious Alzheimer’s before and many years in between since recovery.

The course was also very successful. Many people may find it hard to believe, but the next day the student could walk and run. I told them to throw away the wheel-chair, which they did, and go to town for shopping. The wife could recognize her husband and bring him back to the hotel after a good time in town.

At first I was not noticeable in Copthrone Hotel, which had a lot of guests. But later every member of the staff seemed to know me. I casually asked someone about the sudden change.

“Of course we all know you. You are a miraculous healer.”

“A miraculous healer?”

“A guest checked in on a wheel-chair. The next say we were all shock to see him going to town unaided!”

I can’t remember what I taught him or his wife earlier. Some or all the exercises must be from the 18 Jewels.
                              Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thank you once again for your profound knowledge, kindness and patience.

You are indeed a 'miraculous healer'.

I have learned much from my question and from the questions and answers of my dear family also.

Thank you Daniel

With deepest respect,
                                Joan
                                Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
                                GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                                ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
                                THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X