Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xingyiquan: 10 Questions to Sifu

Dear Family Members,
    So far we have had a great discussion about Xingyiquan on the recent thread- Let talk about Xingiyiquan

It has revealed lots of interesting material and peoples experience's.

There have been some of the family member who have been on recent courses with Sifu and have heard him speak about it and they have glimpsed some of Sifu's vast understanding

Now we have a great opportunity to ask Sifu about Xingyiquan and get his deep insight, knowledge and experience on the art that was for Generals.

Let the questions commence
    Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Thank you, Mark Sihing for starting this!

Dear Sifu,

In preparing to teach the Xingyiquan course (Baguazhang, as well), has your opinion/understanding of these arts changed? If so, in what ways? Can you take us through your process for preparing to teach courses of this type?

-Matt

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Is the force generated practising Xingyiquan similar to that of the Iron Wire?

Thank you,
      Tim

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Is it good to practice certain types of Kung Fu in order to balance ourselves?

For example, if we need more confidence and decisiveness, is it good to practice Xinyiquan? And if we are too abrasive, is it good to practice Taijiquan or Baguazhang?
        Facebook

"Then how could chi kung overcome diseases where the cause is unknown or when there is no cure? The question is actually incorrect. The expressions "the cause is unknown" and "there is no cure" are applicable only in the Western medical paradigm. The expressions no longer hold true in the chi kung paradigm. In the chi kung paradigm the cause is known, and there is a cure."

-Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Is the force generated practising Xingyiquan similar to that of the Iron Wire?
          Ah, you beat me to it Tim!

Dear Sigung,

In the past, Xingyiquan masters would practice only San Ti Shi to develop internal force. Yiquan masters would probably practice San Ti Shi as well as the Three Circles Stance.

Both San Ti Shi and the Three Circles Stance are rather high in posture, emphasizing the development of chi flow. The flowing internal force would be similar to that of a Taijiquan or Baguazhang exponent.

Yet, Xingyiquan patterns are hard and explosive in nature. Did Xingyi exponents naturally learn at an earlier stage how to consolidate their flowing chi developed from San Ti Shi into hard internal force like that of Iron Wire?

Thank you,
          Stephen

Comment

Dear Sigung,

what is the difference between Xingyiquan, Wuzuquan, Baguazhang and Taijiquan in terms of benefits for health & spirituality, form, force training, combat application, philosophy and special internal skills (such as Striking Across Space which is found in Wuzuquan)?

Thank you very much!
            Kindest regards from Germany!
            Anton
            Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
            Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
            http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
            http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
            http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Dear Sihing,

Thanks for enabling this wonderful thread,

Dear Sifu,

Thank you for the opportunity (once again ) to enhance our knowledge and understanding. I would like to ask about the relationship of Xingyiquan to the Spear:

The spear was known as "The King of Weapons"; what are the crossovers between spear combat in general and empty-handed Xingyiquan in particular? and how does the formidable reputation of the spear transfer into the combat efficiency of empty-handed Xingyiquan?

Thanks also to the other participants for their great questions

Shaolin Salute,
              Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
              Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
              Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
              - ancient wisdom

Comment

Dear Sifu,

You mentioned at the last Wuzuquan course that Wuzuquan is the Kung Fu style for generals. Wuzuquan represents exzellently profundity in simplicity.

I read also Xingyiquan is regared as the Kung Fu for generals, also representing profundity in simplicity.

Another by Yue Fei invented Kung Fu style, which is more elaborated and sophisticated though is meant to be the Kung Fu style for soldiers.

Could you please elaborate more on the differences between the Kung Fu of Generals and the Kung Fu of soldiers in termes of techniques-form, energy- force and mind aspects?

Thank you Sifu for answering our questions.
                "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Great Questions

Dear Family Members,
                  We have had some great questions so far...........keep them coming . As you know Sifu will choose 10 questions and then answer those.

But if have lot more questions then maybe we could get Sifu to do 20 questions on Xingyiquan .

Hey if you dont dare then you dont get anywere

Peace

Mark
                  Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

Dear Sifu,

How does Xingyiquan compare to typical Southern Shaolin Kung Fu (such as the Flower Set) as far as philosophy and techniques are concerned?

Thank you very much!

Roeland
                    www.shaolinwahnam.nl
                    www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Sifu,

In many Xingyi techniques I've seen, palm attacks seem to be prominent. Are there specific force training methods in Xingyi to develop powerful palms?

Best wishes,
                      Markus Kahila
                      Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear Sigung,

You've mentioned that Xingyiquan can help one train in the element of threat.

How can one practice against the element of threat in solo practice? Should we imagine our opponent threatening our life to increase the adrenaline and fear one feels when confronted in such a situation?

How can we translate this over into our daily lives? I feel this would be especially useful for those who have high stress jobs.

Thank you,
                        Stephen

Comment

Dear Sifu,

In the recent Iron Wire courses, Sifu has used the flow method as an alternative to the force method. Does this opportunity, to use a flow method, exist in other kung fu sets and styles? For example, does Xingyiquan have this opportunity and can we use this flow method in some parts of Flower Set force training?
                          Facebook

"Then how could chi kung overcome diseases where the cause is unknown or when there is no cure? The question is actually incorrect. The expressions "the cause is unknown" and "there is no cure" are applicable only in the Western medical paradigm. The expressions no longer hold true in the chi kung paradigm. In the chi kung paradigm the cause is known, and there is a cure."

-Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Dear Sifu,

If you allow, another two questions crossed my mind, interestingly right after a training session.

In Xingyiquan students are introduced into let's say compared to our basic stances, quite new exotic stance like the Santi stance.

In Wuzuquan it happened that we were introduced into the Triangle stance (which similar though different to the 4/6 stance) and the Dragon Riding stance (which similar though different to the Bow-Arrow stance).

In Praying Mantis Kung Fu the Seven-Star stance seems to be quite often used.

Could you please elaborate more on the advantages and disadvantages of stances like Santi stance, Triangle stance, Dragon Riding stance and the Seven Star stance compared to our basic stances?

You highlighted that the Xingyiquan offered at the UK summercamp would be an excellent preparartion for those who wish to attend Free sparring competitions. You mentioned if I am correct that Xingyiquan, among other styles would reflect Boxers and Kick Boxers way of fighting at most similar.

Could you please explain why Xingyiquan would suit the needs of students who wish entering competions so good?
                            "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                            Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Question 1 Answer part 1

Dear Family Members,
                              I am pleased to say that Sifu has chosen some questions and has supplied the answers.

There is a saying that with every answer more questions arise.

I would like to invite you to reflect on the answers that Sifu has given us and see what questions arise

As I mentioned it is great having 10 questions but 20 would be better

Enjoy the answer

Question 1

In preparing to teach the Xingyiquan course , has your opinion/understanding of the art changed? If so, in what ways? Can you take us through your process for preparing to teach the Xingyiquan course?
                              Sifu Matt Fenton

(The question is lightly modified for this thread without changing its essence)

Answer

Yes, in preparing myself to teach Xingyiquan, both my opinion and understanding of Xingyiquan have changed much. The process of change is as follows.

I knew that Xingyiquan was simple, and was regarded as kungfu for generals, but I did not realize why it was so. After preparing myself thoroughly to teach it, which included researching into all the resources I could get on Xingyiquan and practicing it according to the accumulated information, I have an in-depth understanding as well as practical experience why it is so.

At first I thought that Xingyiquan was simple because it was based on only five elemental fists. Hence, Xingyiquan practitioners had to compensate their limited techniques by adding Taijiquan and Baguazhang to their training. But my study of Xingyiquan has shown that Xingyiquan is complete by itself. There is no need to add any art to it.

This realization was much helped by my earlier of preparation in teaching Wuzuquan. Indeed, there are many things similar between Xingyiquan and Wuzuquan.

My study of Xingyiquan has led me to realize that its simplicity is not due to its inventor lacking in techniques, but due to his reducing the numerous techniques he already knew to a few fundamental ones.

This is an important concept, and will become clearer if we quantify it. Suppose a martial artist progresses from 1 to 100. The simplicity of his art occurs not at 10 when he has 90 more to learn, but it occurs after he has completed 100 and reduced the numerous 100 to a few fundamentals. It is worthy of note that the inventer of Xingyiquan was Marshal Yue Fei, who is deified as the God of Martial Art.

This realization gives me a better understanding why Xingyiquan is regarded as kungfu for generals, whereas Eagle Claw Kungfu, which was also invented by Yue Fei, but has many sophisticated techniques, is regarded as kungfu for ordinary soldiers.

At first I thought that Xingyiquan, being simple, needs tremendous internal force in order to be applied effectively in combat, and generals rather than ordinary soldiers would have the mind-set to train internal force, which is relatively more boring and more demanding than learning techniques.

But the realization mentioned above now makes me think otherwise. It is not because the generals did not know a lot of combat techniques that they practiced Xingyiquan, it was precisely because they knew a lot of combat techniques that they could use Xingyiquan, with its few techniques, effectively.

As an analogy, it is not because a master mechanic has not been trained to use a variety of tools; it is precisely that he has been trained to use many different tools that he can now use just one simple tool effectively. Apprentices would have to spend time learning various tools.

Similarly, it was not because Yang Lu Chan did not know many Taijiquan techniques that he only used Grasping Sparrow’s Tail in his fighting. It was precisely because he knew many Taijiquan techniques that he could effectively use just Grasping Sparrow’s Tail to defeat all challengers. Taijiquan students who wish to be combat efficient would have to spend time learning the many Taijiquan techniques.

Attending the Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course or the Intensive Taijiquan Course where a comprehensive and in-depth understanding and application of all important kungfu aspects are provided will enhance the accomplishment in Xingyiquan, or any kungfu style, in many ways. Among many benefits, you will learn how to cover yourself adequately for safety first, and how to keep pace effectively with your opponents as they retreat – two skills which Xingyiquan practitioners may not perform efficiently if they do not have proper foundation.

part 2 to follow
                              Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X