Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The History of Chi Flow in Shaolin Wahnam and it's connection to Iron Wire training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Sigung for this account.

I was also curious about this, because when Sisook Gung Nam (Son of Ho Fatt Nam) visited Frankfurt, he demonstrated Cross Roads at Four Gates.

At the end of the set, he squatted down with his feet flat on the ground, his elbows resting on his knees with the fingers pointed down and his back straight. This surprised me as I expected that chi flow would have come from this lineage.

Also I can now confirm that I feel that the flow method is more powerful than the force method for Ta Chong. I was one of those who was unsure, but now I'd change my vote
    I let my intellect get in the way of what I felt. In fact, intellectually speaking, one would expect that the force method would be more powerful than the flow method, as Triple Stretch was intended for the force method (or was it?). Nevertheless, my daily practiced continues to confirm that the flow method, or a mix of the flow and force method, is much more powerful than the force method alone.

Actually, to say that I my intellect got in the way is not entirely correct. The force method makes my arms feel more powerful while the flow method makes my entire body feel more powerful with a greater overall result.

Thank you also to Anthony for sharing,
    All the best,
    Jim
    Sigung: This is a great exercise for women, because it makes them beautiful and radiant.
    Student: And what does it do for men?
    Sigung: It makes women beautiful!
    Smile from the heart!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbeaux View Post
      Sisook Gung Nam (Son of Ho Fatt Nam)
      Just a quick note. Ho is Sisook's surname, so Sisookgung Ho would have been the correct address.
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: May 2019 in Landquart CH
      QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing this information in this form. Another set of gems from Sifu.
        Sifu Andrew Barnett
        Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
        Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
        Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: May 2019 in Landquart CH
        QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

For a bit of intellectual fun, I would like to link to one of Sifu's Q&A's, making note of question and answer #1 - http://www.shaolin.org/answers/ans07a/apr07-3.html

-Shaolin Grandmaster discovers through practice and teaching that the flow method produces better results than the typical force method

-Shaolin Grandmaster begins to practice and teach more and more of the flow method

-Shaolin Grandmaster continues to call his art Shaolin Kungfu, despite the obvious differences between his current art and "typical" Shaolin Kungfu

-Years later, someone else gives the art a new name?...

Intellectual musings aside, being part of this transition/progression/developement is simply amazing. I cannot wait for the Iron Wire course!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt F. View Post
            For a bit of intellectual fun, I would like to link to one of Sifu's Q&A's, making note of question and answer #1 - http://www.shaolin.org/answers/ans07a/apr07-3.html

-Shaolin Grandmaster discovers through practice and teaching that the flow method produces better results than the typical force method

-Shaolin Grandmaster begins to practice and teach more and more of the flow method

-Shaolin Grandmaster continues to call his art Shaolin Kungfu, despite the obvious differences between his current art and "typical" Shaolin Kungfu

-Years later, someone else gives the art a new name?...

Intellectual musings aside, being part of this transition/progression/developement is simply amazing. I cannot wait for the Iron Wire course!
            It is pretty cool to think that Shaolin Wahnam might be led by the reincarnation of Zhang San Feng.
            Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

For intellectual fun, I'll share another comparison that'd been floating around in my head...
              In the Song Dynasty, a movement emerged among Chinese scholars called "Neo-Confucianism". Neo-Confucianism was seen as a response to another scholarly movement called "Han Learning". At the head of this movement was one of China's great scholars, Chu Hsi (or Zhu Xi).
              One of the main thrusts of Neo-Confucianism was that Han Scholars had become overly pre-occupied with the textual and linguistic analysis of past Confucian works. Neo-Confucians asserted that the Han scholars had lost sight of the original aims of Confucianism.
              Zhu Xi then introduced sitting meditation as a way for Confucian scholars to gain deeper insight into Confucian philosophy. Later scholars would credit him for "returning the essence to Confucian Study", which had been lacking prior to his innovations.
              I like to think that Sigung, through excellent scholarship and practice together, is working to restore the lost essence of our arts.
              (to make the comparison a bit more explicit, you could say that the Han scholars were more preoccupied with the external forms of these philosophical works).

This is based on my patchy understanding of Chinese philosophical history so corrections are welcome.

tl;dr Sigung is like Zhu Xi in that he is restoring the essence of kung fu.

Comment

Nice analogy
                Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                - ancient wisdom

Comment

Beautiful and inspiring, thank you indeed for sharing. I just love chi flow; I still remember the first classes when I started to feel the chi moving ...

... and wishing you all lots of happy chi flows during the Las Vegas courses. As a preparation for our Zen course we practiced individually different force training methods during our weekly training. It was indeed a great lesson to do my Clouds Hands next to an Iron Wire practitioner...

Comment

Hi Chiahua,

Thanks for pointing this out:

Later scholars would credit him for "returning the essence to Confucian Study", which had been lacking prior to his innovations.
                    Sifu is a Chi Kung innovator par excellence. One of the great things is that Sifu is always focused on getting results. No problem bypassing some steps if the outcome is achieved. Sifu has taken Chinese Medicine to it's essence: restoring energy flow. All forms of Chinese Medicine aim to restore smooth energy flow in one way or another.

How to restore natural chi flow? Have a chi flow! Genius!
                    少林華南台灣 Shaolin Wahnam Taiwan

Facebook

"Then how could chi kung overcome diseases where the cause is unknown or when there is no cure? The question is actually incorrect. The expressions "the cause is unknown" and "there is no cure" are applicable only in the Western medical paradigm. The expressions no longer hold true in the chi kung paradigm. In the chi kung paradigm the cause is known, and there is a cure."

-Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Blohm View Post
                      How to restore natural chi flow? Have a chi flow! Genius!
                      The directness and straight-forwardness of this statement made me laugh louder than I have all week. It makes sense!
                      I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Thank you Sifu

Thank you Sifu and Anthony Sifu for this beautiful part of Shaolin Wahnam History.

I take for granted that Chi Flow is part of the Chi Kung practice. I take it for granted because my first Chi Kung master was a great Grandmaster. But, I am indeed very lucky that Sifu is always trying to improve. That takes me to enormous benefits in much less time. That also leads me into a further progress because I have more time in my life in order to improve.

Chi Flow, for me, is my favorite part in Chi Kung practice. Chi Flow, for me, is my favorite part in Taijiquan practice too. Chi Flow, for me, is also my favorite part in life. Because with Chi Flow, I understand Chi Kung. Because with Chi Flow, I understand Taijiquan. Because with Chi Flow, I understand life.

Thanks from the heart.

Shaolin Salute,

Santiago

Comment

Working...
                        X