No announcement yet.

Iron Wire Set: 10 questions to Grandmaster Wong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Sifu, and my brethren for your questions.

This is why I love it when people, including myself, ask Sifu questions. You just never know when something that Sifu says or writes gives that "Aha!" moment.
    百德以孝为先
    Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Thank you all for your comments and special thanks for Sifu for taking the time to answer in such detail.

The second part of the answer to question 7 was missing, so I include it now:

Question 7 – Continuation
      Is it because the Iron Wire set involves the making of unfamiliar sounds or are there other factors?

Sifu Zhang Wuji

Answer 7 – Continuation

Although many people, many of whom have not practiced the Iron Wire Set at all, say that making correct sounds is very important and making sounds other than the ones prescribed can cause serious side-effects, I disagree with this observation. Hence, my answer here may be a surprise to many people.

At first I succumbed to this view too, but during my training of the Iron Wire Set I found that this was untrue.

You will notice that in the paragraph above the previous one, I use “sounds other than the ones prescribed” instead of “wrong sounds” This is purposely done to highlight the following crucial points.

1 “Wrong sounds”, of course, are wrong, and by the fact that they are wrong, may cause side-effects.

2. Wrong sounds may not necessarily be sounds other than the ones prescribed.

In the pattern “Hands Guard Dan Tian” of the Iron Wire Set, for example, the prescribed sound is “herit”, like the sound we make in “Black Tiger Steals Heart”. Many students close their mouth while making the sound, which becomes “hup” instead of “herit”. “Hup” is a sound other than the one prescribed, and in this case it is a wrong sound as it causes side-effects.

Suppose a student makes the sound “herit”, which is the same sound as the one prescribed. But he tenses his chest while making the sound. So, in this case although the sound is the one prescribed, it is a wrong sound.

3. On the other hand, instead of making “herit”, a student makes “ouit” or even “yaa”, and he does so without tensing his vocal cords or lungs. Although the sound is not the one prescribed, it is not a wrong sound because it does not cause side-effects, though the good effects may be different. When one makes “herit” correctly, the sound vibrates at the dan tian; “ouit” the sound vibrates at the stomach, and “yaa” the sound vibrates at the lungs.

There are other reasons why making other sounds is not necessarily wrong, and why making the prescribed sounds is not necessarily right. In other words the difficulty of training the Iron Wire Set correctly is not due to the making of unfamiliar sounds.

The same sound when pronounced in different tones will actually become different sounds. The famous example is “ma”, which may mean mother, numb, horse and scold depending on which tone it is being pronounced. The same situation applies to sounds in the. Iron Wire Set, like herit, ouit, yaa, chaa, yeh, shss, and sss

In the pattern “Hands Guard Dan Tian”, “herit” is to be pronounced in the 4th tone. Will there be adverse effects if it is pronounced in other tones? No, as long as the vocal cords and lungs are not tensed. On the other hand, even when “herit” is pronounced in the 4th tone but with the vocal cords or the lungs tensed, then it can cause adverse effects. The same principle applies to other sounds.

Some people say that the various sounds in the Iron Wire Set affect different organs of the body. If the right sounds are not used, then it will cause harm. This observation is incorrect. While it is true that different sounds affect different parts of the body, it is not true that if sounds other than those prescribed are used, it will be harmful.

If sounds other than the prescribed ones are produced correctly, they benefit organs other than those prescribed. For example, instead of
      saying “herit” when performing “Hands Guard Dan Tian”, you say “ouit”, you will vibrate your stomach instead of your dan tian.

On the other hand, even when “herit” is pronounced but with the vocal cords tensed, instead of vibrating the dan tian this may cause energy at
      the dan tian to stagnate.

Grandmaster Wong courses in Barcelona - May 2012:
      chikung.bcn@gmail.com
      Daniel Pérez
      http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Comment

When Sifu explains, everything seems so clear and logical. Masterful!
        Sifu Andrew Barnett
        Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
        Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
        Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
          When Sifu explains, everything seems so clear and logical. Masterful!
          Well said Siheng.

Comment

Beautiful! Sifu is a Kung Fu genius, but also a teaching genius!
            www.shaolinwahnam.nl
            www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Amazing.

Thank you so much Sigung for your answers.

Thank you to Sifu Daniel for the thread.

Thank you everyone for their questions.

I'm very, very much looking forward to Barcelona

Warmest Regards and Shaolin Salute,

Max

Comment

It´s wonderful that Sifu s so generously answering in such detail. Now,

Iron Wire Question 9:
                Question 9

Iron Wire is so powerful! How come we are so lucky in Shaolin Wahnam to learn how to generate so much force in such a short time?

Sifu Anton.

Answer 9

Our students and also our instructors are indeed very lucky in Shaolin Wahnam. Not only we have a range of internal force training methods unprecedented before, we can generate a lot of force in a very short time. Indeed, if somebody were to tell me this phenomenal situation 10 years ago, I myself would not believe it.

Such an opportunity has never happened before. Masters in the past knew only one or two internal force training method. Some kungfu geniuses like Bai Yi Feng, Zhang San Feng and Ng Mui knew many force training methods, but they still needed much time to practice each one of them to develop internal force.

In my young days I collected kungfu classics, met many masters and learned many force training methods. But I still needed much time to train each of the methods I selected.

I spend many years practicing my Horse-Riding Stance. Although my stance was solid and strong, it was due to physical strength, not internal force. My lack of internal force was painfully revealed to me when I sparred with my sihengs in my Wuzuquan classes. Although they moved their arms effortlessly, their arms were like iron rods to me, and they could push me around easily despite my solid, albeit physical, stance.

My first taste of internal force was One-Finger Shooting Zen, which was indeed a treasure. After practicing it for six months I could break a brick. Earlier I could not break one despite training Iron Palm for two years following instructions precisely, especially in not using physical strength. On hindsight I discovered that knowing techniques was not enough to produce the force. One must have the skills transmitted by a master or at least guided by him.

When I first practiced Iron Wire, it took me a few months to experience internal force. Despite my experience in a few internal force training methods, I still made the common mistake of practicing Iron Wire as an isometric exercise! You can imagine how easy for other people to practice it wrongly. But luckily by this time I had the experience of “Flowing Breeze and Swaying Willows”. This gentle chi flow erased the adverse effects that my wrong practice of Iron Wire brought and still gave me a bonus.

With this background, you can better appreciate as I explain why students and instructors in Shaolin Wahnam today can experience internal force the first day they learn Iron Wire from me when it took me a few months. In three months they can generate internal force that I would need a year.

The overall reason is that having gone through different types of force training methods, I understand clearly the philosophy and experience of internal force training in Iron Wire, and I teach our students and instructors skills which I may gather from other force training methods so that they can develop internal force in Iron Wire most cost-effectively.

Let us now examine the process in some details.

The ingredient of internal force is energy flow. In Iron Wire and other hard types of internal force, energy flow is consolidated. In soft types of internal force, like Taijiquan, energy flow is increased and speeded up. One-Finger Shooting Zen is somewhere in between. Hence my training of One-Finger Shooting Zen gave me a tremendous advantage.

In other words, if a practitioner practices the techniques of Iron Wire correctly, but has no energy flow, he will not be able to develop internal force no matter for how long he may practice because he lacks the ingredient. If he has energy flow but does not know how to consolidate it, he also does not have internal force as he lacks the mechanics.

A student leans Iron Wire techniques from his teacher. If he practices the techniques consistently for many months, he may develop some energy flow inside his arms.. As the energy flow is slight and not easily visible, he is usually not aware of its importance in internal force development, especially when he and often his teacher too have no conceptual framework about chi flow and internal force development.

But as he persists on his practice, he will gradually develop this skill of generating energy flow, though he may not be aware of the skill. This will take a few more months.

After a few more months of correct, persist training, his energy flow will consolidate into internal force. Hence, he has developed another important skill, but like the earlier skill of generating an energy flow, he is also unlikely to realize this new skill of consolidating flowing energy into internal force.

He is aware of his increase of internal force, but not aware that this increase of force is due to his unconscious skills. He thinks that this increase in force is due to he persistent practice of the Iron Wire techniques, without realizing that without the skills of generating energy flow and consolidating flowing energy to internal force, he will not have any internal force though he may have practiced the techniques correctly.

Hence, this successful student takes about one and a half to two years to develop noticeable internal force in Iron Wire training. But this successful development is not typical. Out of 10 students who are taught the Iron Wire Set, probably two will have this successful result. The other eight students, even when they train regularly and consistently, will develop muscular strength instead because somewhere along their training they deviate into isometric exercise instead.

The crucial difference between the two successful students and the eight unsuccessful ones is that the successful generate energy flow and consolidate it into internal force, whereas the unsuccessful employ isometric exercises to develop muscular strength. Both the successful and the unsuccessful are unaware of the philosophy and mechanics involved. The successful ones develop the necessary skills through practicing their techniques consistently. The unsuccessful ones mistakenly think that they have been successful because their muscular strength also gives them much power.

Now compare these other students with our students, and you can see why our students can generate so much force in a very short time. All our students not only already can generate an energy flow before they start their Iron Wire training, but also know the philosophy and mechanics of internal force training.

Thus, our students develop internal force the very first day of their Iron Wire training, whereas other students spend a few months acquiring, albeit unconsciously, the skill of generating an energy flow.

Because our students have insight into what they are doing, the energy they purposely generate is more powerful and in shorter time than the energy incidentally and occasionally generated by other students. In other works, our students can generate more energy flow on the first day than other students after a few months.

As our students already have energy flow, they learn how to consolidate it into internal force on the very first day of their Iron Wire training, whereas other students can only do so after a few months when they, without their conscious knowing, can generate an energy flow.

Not only this, their understanding and experience in other internal force training methods, like knowing the importance of being relaxed and not thinking of anything, and the skills acquired in One-Finger Shooting Zen, enable them to be more cost-effective than other students who do not have these advantages. Hence, the internal force developed by our students on the first day of their training is more than that of other students after many months.

Thirdly, our students have the advantage of accumulated effect, which is very important in any internal force training, whereas the other students do not, even when they train everyday. Quantifying the results will give a clearer picture.

Suppose our students are only twice as cost-effective as other students, which is a very conservative estimate. In reality our students could be 2 to 10 times more cost-effective.

Suppose other students need three months to develop the skill of generating an energy flow, and another three months to develop the skill of consolidating energy flow into internal force. These two estimates are generous. Needing 6 months for each skill is more likely for the successful 20%. The other 80% are likely to deviate into isometric exercise.

As other students are aware of the philosophy behind internal force development and also unaware of their skills, they will not generate an energy flow or consolidate internal force everyday, whereas our students can. Suppose other students can generate an energy flow or consolidate internal force after every three days, and there is a depreciation of 1 unit of force per day. Again this is a generous estimate. It is more likely that they can do so after every 5 or more days.

On the very first day of training, our students gain 10 units of internal force. On the second day, they gain another 10 units, making a total of 20 units. In this way they will have generated 1000 units of internal force in 100 days.

For the other students, the first 3 months or 90 days they develop the skill of generating an energy flow. For another 3 months or 180 days later they develop the skill of consolidating internal force. Applying these two skills, albeit unconsciously, they gain 5 units of internal force on the 181th day.

They could not apply their skills on the 182th, 183th, and 184th day, and thus the internal force that remains is 4, 3, 2 units, depreciating 1 unit per day.

On the 185th day, they could gain another 5 units of internal force. When we add that to their remaining 2 units of force, they get 7 units of force.

Depreciating 3 units and then gaining 5 units, they add 2 units every 5th day. Hence on the 189th day, they will have 9 units of internal force, and on the 193th day 11 units, and on the 209th day 19 units of internal force. In other words, from day 181 to day 210, a period of 30 days, they have developed 19 units of internal force, which works to about 20 units per month.

Let us see how much internal force other successful students will have after three years, or 36 months, of Iron Wire training. For the first 6 months they develop the skills of generating energy flow and consolidating internal force. For the remaining 30 months they develop 20 units per month, making a total of 600 units of internal force.

Let us see how much time our students need to develop the same amount of internal force. Our students develop 10 units of internal force per day. This means they need (600 divided by 10) 60 days. In other words, our student can achieve in 2 months what other students will need 3 years.

The figures are not exact, but they give a clear picture how and why our students and instructors can develop a lot of internal force using Iron Wire training in a very short time.

This is possible because we understand the philosophy and mechanics, have the necessary skills right at the start due to our spread and depth, and we enjoy the advantage of accumulated effect.

Grandmaster Wong courses in Barcelona - May 2012:
                chikung.bcn@gmail.com
                Daniel Pérez

Comment

Many, many thanks to Sifu for these answers and to all who asked the questions.

I have been practicing Iron Wire most days since the course in Ireland. Reading these pages has helped to consolidate what I learned at the course and the experiences of several months of training.

I can personally verify that the way Sifu has taught us and the gift of chi flow means that we can use the force for not only combat but also health and vitality and healing. I have found that my body is preferring to channel the energy internally to uproot and expel deep blockages, accelerating the process that was already underway.

Another very interesting phenomena is that normally such an accelerated cleansing would be very difficult, but the Iron Wire practice seems to compensate by increasing my 'confident heart' and providing the mental clarity to detach from the cleansing. It feels like pushing the 'fast forward' button!

Shaolin salute to all,

Omar

Comment

Amazing! I feel so fortunate to be able to train the Shaolin Arts the way they are meant to be trained

With thanks to Sifu and the Past Masters,

Andy
                    Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                    Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                    - ancient wisdom

Comment

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks for posting these remarkable explanations and thanks to Sifu, as always.
                      Anthony S

Western USA

http://elitechikung.com/

Visit Anthony Spinicchia’s web site with information on qigong healing.

His book, The Wonders of Chi Kung:Unlocking Glowing Health and Vitality, 3rd Edition, can be found by clicking here

The e-book edition can be found at www.amazon.com kindle store

Comment

Dear Sigung,

thank you very much for you generous and inspiring answer!

With kind regards, Anton.
                        Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                        Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                        http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                        http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                        http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thank you so much for the time and effort you put in to teach these wonderful Art's and also for the time you take to answer these question's so that we can become even more clear of the benefits we get in such a short time.

Since learning Iron Wire from you my life has been changing so much for the better.

Thank's to every one who has asked the question's.

Shaolin Salute,
                          Brendan

Comment

Iron Wire Question 9 - Part 2
                            Question 9 – Part 2

When does a practitioner need to practice Iron Wire and when should he prefer Golden Bridge?

Sifu Anton.

Answer 9 – Part 2

If he is already competent in both intern al force training methods, when his emphasis is to lay foundation he should practice Golden Bridge. If his emphasis is to develop internal force for combat, he should practice Iron Wire.

Of course the choice is relative, and all other factors were presumed equal. Iron Wire can be used to lay foundation too, and Golden Bridge for combat.

If his intention is to focus his force in his arms, his choice should be Iron Wire. If his intention is to spread internal force more evenly, he should choose Golden Bridge.

If his preference is for combat, he should practice Iron Wire. If the preference is for health, he should practice Golden Bridge.

If he has not learned either arts, but has a chance to choose one to start, he should choose Golden Bridge. Not only it is easier to make mistakes in Iron Wire than in Golden Bridge, learning Golden Bridge first, then Iron Wire will give him more benefit than learning Iron Wire then Golden Bridge

On the other hand, if he has to choose only one between Golden Bridge and Iron Wire, and there may not be a choice again in future, and if he knows very well that the Iron Wire teacher is competent, he should grab the opportunity to learn Iron Wire. The opportunity to learn Iron Wire correctly is much rarer than the opportunity to learn Golden Bridge.
                            Daniel Pérez

Comment

....and after a really marvellous Iron Wire course in Barcelona, a memorable one....here´s the last answer gently provided by Grandmaster Wong:

Iron Wire Question-Answer 10

Question 10

How do the benefits of Iron Wire as a dynamic method differ from quiescent methods such as Zhan Zhuang?
                              It seems that quiescent methods form the foundation of force training due to the mind or meditation aspect.

Ish

Answer 10

Generally, internal force developed from dynamic methods is more flowing than force developed from quiescent methods. For example, the force developed from One-Finger Shooting Zen and Cloud Hands is more flowing than the force developed from Golden Bridge and Three-Circle Stance.

Flowing force is softer and more versatile, and in combat it is more fluid. Consolidated force is harder and more compact, and in combat it is more pressing.

For example, if you want to sense an opponent’s movement or fell him onto the ground, flowing force, like that from One-Finger Shooting Zen, is preferred to consolidated force, like that from Golden Bridge. On the other hand, if you wish to dominate and opponent or smash his bones, consolidated force, like that from the Three-Circle Stance is preferred to flowing force, like that from Cloud Hands.

In promoting health, vitality and longevity, flowing force is more suited to cleansing and spreading, whereas consolidated force to building and strengthening. If a person is sick or in pain, applying flowing force, by himself or from another person, is preferred to applying consolidated force. If he wants solidness and stability in his daily life, consolidated is preferred to flowing force.

However, Iron Wire is different. Although it is a dynamic training method, the force developed is relatively consolidated rather than flowing. Indeed, if we compare Iron Wire with a quiescent method like zhan zhuang, Iron Wire is relatively more consolidated and less flowing. The reason is that although the method is dynamic, it is used to consolidate force, rather than let it flow.

So in comparing its benefits with other force training arts, we should consider Iron Wire as a consolidated force rather than as a dynamic method. In combat, the consolidated force of Iron Wire is more compact and pressing than force from quiescent methods like Three-Circle Stance and even Golden Bridge. If you wish to force an opponent against a wall, for example, Iron Wire Force is preferred to Three-Circle Stance force.

On the other hand, it is less fluid, even when compared to force from quiescent methods. If you wish to manipulate an opponent so that he heels overwhelmed, Golden Bridge force is preferred to Iron Wire force.

For non-combat purposes, Iron Wire force is more beneficial when situations need building and strengthening. If you want to better withstand a winter’s cold, for example, or have courage to face intellectual challenges, Iron Wire force is relatively more beneficial than flowing force, like from Cloud Hands and Self-Manifested Chi Movement.

Yes, generally force from quiescent methods form the foundation of force training, and an important factor is due to their mind or meditation aspect. The basic principles are to accumulate force at the dan tian, and develops solid stances. Quiescent methods are more conducive for such purposes. When a foundation is laid, force can then be channelled using dynamic methods various places in the body for their respective functions.

All these observations are relative and presume that all other things were equal. While consolidated force from Iron Wire is relatively less fluid than flowing force from Cloud Hands, for example, a master can use his Iron Wire force more fluidly than a student using Cloud Hands force.

In this respect, our students are very lucky. Because of the magic of energy flow, our students can readily convert one type of force to another. They may have developed consolidated force from Iron Wire, but if they need to overcome pain and illness, for example, they can just let go and enter chi flow. On the other hand, they may have developed flowing force from Cloud Hands. But if they wish to build or strengthen, they just go to standing meditation and let the force consolidate.

Also because of the magic of chi flow, our students not only can train two or more opposite methods at the same time, like Iron Wire and Taijiquan, without negating each other, but also their progress is even better than just training one at a time. This is the advantage of spread and depth.

This privilege is not available to other practitioners, including masters. If they practice Iron Wire and Taijiquan at the same time, the two opposing force training methods negate each other. For us they complement and enhance.
                              Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear Sigung and Dear Daniel Sisook,

this Q&A is truly become a treasure of our school!

Thank you very much!

Respectfully,
                                Anton.
                                Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                                Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                                http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                                http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                                http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Working...
                                X