visualization help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visualization help

I've always had a hard time with the visualization aspect of chi kung. I've wondered if maybe some people may have an easier time than others with it....just like there are visual, hands on, and auditory learners. I've never really been able to visualize things in my head very well. Even when I read a book, I don't really picture the things I'm reading. I'm a much more hands on person, very well coordinated.

When I visualize during chi kung, it takes a lot of effort and concentration and feels almost a little forced. During 'carying the moon' I could always visualize the ball of energy well. But its more difficult to visualize the energy going down through my body and cleansing away any toxic waste. The part I have the hardest time with is visualizing the toxic waste being carried out of my body through the bottom of my feet....might be because its the last thing to think of and I start feeling the need to breath in before I'm finished visualizing.

Anyway, it's really tough for me. So I'm wondering if you guys could offer any pointers? Maybe describe what you visualize, sort of paint a picture of it for me that I might be able to copy. I know Sifu would probably say "just do it" but I think it would be really helpful if I had an exact picture in my mind to practise with, and it's hard coming up with that picture on my own.

I wonder for non-visual people like me if there could possibly be another way to direct the chi with our minds. I'm not sure how exactly....perhaps by trying to "feel" the chi. I don't know. For now I'll focus on doing things the way they've been done, but that's something interesting to think about and possibly beneficial for other non-visual people like me.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan
    I'm floating down a river
    Oars freed from their holes long ago
    Lying face up on the floor of my vessel
    I marvel at the stars
    And feel my heart overflow

Ryan,

You might find this thread "visualization for lifting the sky" useful.

In general, I don't visualise much if at all and, if/when I do, it is more a "gentle thought" than a full blown slideshow.

Andrew
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: May 2019 in Landquart CH
    QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

When I visualize during chi kung, it takes a lot of effort and concentration and feels almost a little forced.
      This sounds wrong to me. It shouldn't be forced. It should be as gentle as a breath of crisp morning air.

wonder for non-visual people like me if there could possibly be another way to direct the chi with our minds.
      This is the problem with the word "visualize." It's not a visual thing; it's a mind thing!

When you "visualize" good energy coming in with the breath, you don't have to "see" anything. You can just "feel" it. Or you can just "will" it. Or you can "breathe" in good energy. Or you can "invite" the energy in.

In the end, it's a mind/heart skill that is difficult (if not impossible) to describe in words. Some people will see colors. Some won't. I don't. There are colors associated with some of the visualizations, mainly the "golden light," but it shouldn't be forced.

With Pushing Mountains, you don't see a picture of Mt. Huashan in your mind. For me, it just FEELS like I'm pushing something. The same goes for when I "visualize" a ball of energy at my palms. I don't see a thing. I feel-sense-will-imagine the energy there.
      Sifu Anthony Korahais
      www.FlowingZen.com
      (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

thanks!

That's great! I just remember back when I originally took the course in Malaysia Sifu describing this really elaborate "visualization" and I thought I had to literally picture all those things happening. And like I said, I've ALWAYS had a tough time trying to vividly picture it that way....like its too much for my mind to be doing. I'll definitely give it a try as you've described.

Ryan
        I'm floating down a river
        Oars freed from their holes long ago
        Lying face up on the floor of my vessel
        I marvel at the stars
        And feel my heart overflow

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius
          This is the problem with the word "visualize." It's not a visual thing; it's a mind thing! ...With Pushing Mountains, you don't see a picture of Mt. Huashan in your mind. For me, it just FEELS like I'm pushing something. The same goes for when I "visualize" a ball of energy at my palms. I don't see a thing. I feel-sense-will-imagine the energy there.
          Antonius

This is a very useful post.

Altho' I don't go in for visualisation much I have always had problems with it as I have interpreted it as - er - visualisation

I am sure for some uses visualisation is meant literally (eg Tibetan mandalas) but am relieved if (at the lower/middle levels at least) in Wahnam school is isn't to be taken literally.

However if I translate (and remember) your feel-sense-will-imagine as say 'have/entertain the notion' then thats much easier. I have only rarely thought of pushing a mountain (and then I have never seen in my 'minds eye' a mountain). However almost all times it seems to me that I am pushing against resistance (like the air is resisting my push).

Is there a translation issue here - eg the classical chinese word that is used in the texts has a broader meaning than 'see in your mnds eye'?

Whatever - many thanks for that post - its made a real difference to my understanding.

Cheers.

Mike
          "If you realised how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." Peace Pilgrim.

Comment

Working...
          X