Staying Alive with Your Aims & Objectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Niklas,

I feel that the first thing you need is clarity. If you feel that shorter aims (I’d call these Objectives) take focus away from what you really want to achieve then these objectives are not linked to your Aims.

As you provide very little specific information I will first provide some general guidance. I’d recommend you give some thought to your Vision for your life. You can think of your Vision as your life’s work. You may never achieve it in this lifetime. For example my Vision is to attain Enlightenment. Your Vision is linked to those big questions, like: “Why am I here?”, "What is the meaning of life?" etc.

Some people are waiting for “life” or “God” or something else to show them what their Vision is, but I say stop waiting and decide for yourself why you are here and what you want your life to stand for. You can always change it if divine intervention shows up.

Your Vision doesn’t have to be massive, but it does have to be important to you.

Once you have decided, “Why you are here” and “What you are here to do” then you can look at Aims. You can think of your Aims as stepping-stones to your Vision. So in my example, some of my Aims are: to achieve re-birth in Sukhavati, that nothing and no-one can unbalance me and to achieve a one pointed state of mind. Remember Aims are long term and general in nature.

The next step is to look at your objectives (I think you use the term lesser aims) for each of your aims. Again, if we take one of my examples: To achieve re-birth in Sukhavati I know that I need to 1) Believe the Western Paradise exists 2) Make a Vow to be re-born there 3) Cultivate accordingly. So these become my objective: To practice Buddha recitetation for 10 minutes daily and to vow to be re-born in Sukhavati.

This way my objective is linked to my Aim and my Aim is in alignment with my Vision.

Reading your post Niklas, my thoughts are that you need to spend some time getting very clear on your Vision (the big picture), consider Aims that are in alignment with this Vision and then sit down with pen and paper and map out Objectives that are stepping stones to your Aims. If you do this you will achieve more in less time. You are absolutely right when you say
    “And i dont want to set lesser aims that put a halt on my main aim.”
    Remember there are no right or wrong answers here, there are only your answers and you can change them whenever they no longer seem appropriate, or you think of something better. I also think it is advisable to start with the big picture (your Vision) and work down to specific things you can do today. If you do it the other way round, the results you get are unlikely to be fulfilling as they will not be in alignment with what you truely want for your life.

I should be able to get another hour free on Wednesday if anyone else has an Aim or Objective they'd like some help with. Until then.

Kind regards
    Marcus
    Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

Ray,

Your decision to "Ease into it" is wise. What you suggest is a good idea. Sinew Metamorphosis, as you experienced is very powerful and it is sensible to give your body time to adjust to this increase. The fact that you have learnt this Art directly from Sifu means that you need not be worried. Folllow the instructions he gave you, gradually increase your practice (as you outlined) and you will be fulfilling the 3 criteria for success:
      1. The Method
      2. The Master
      3. The Student

This guarantees your success. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Kind regards
      Marcus

Comment

-

I have asked for divine guidance the last days to help me see clearly what my talents are and what i want to do in this life.

I found your post or the post found me, right on time

Its fascinating how things manifest when i have a clear intention of what to achieve. I will follow your post and step by step compose my aims and objectives.

Thank you Siheng,

/Niklas
        Last edited by 8nsteen8; 26 March 2007, 09:52 AM.

"If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven played music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well."/Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Thread progressing well

Thanks to Marcus Sipac for adding so much depth to this thread already, Ive also faced some constraints to my time and only got to look at it this morning and so will add my thoughts where relevant.

Dear Paul

Marcus and Jordan have given you some great ideas, I'll add my own ones to the mix. This is a great objective which could feed into a larger aim along the lines of to be able to handle mma opponents of intermediate level.

As far as for the specific boxing example like my brothers have pointed out you need to choose appropriate techniques from your repertoire (with Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan and Shaolin Kung Fu you have many!) to counter boxers. Marcus's idea of checking the website is a good one - actually in the review section there are some excellent video examples.

Then you would devise a few sequences to cover all the common boxing attacks, such as the jab cross you mentioned, hooks, uppercuts etc.

When you have devised a few sequence you would practice these through (doing something 50 times a day is often the golden number) untill you can perform the sequence smoothly - as if performing one pattern.

Then you would train the sequence with your imaginary partner, now posed as a boxer. When you have done this for some time you would meet up with one, or better still, a few training partners and get them to pose as the boxer.

Next you can apply the later stages of our sparring methodology to the sequences (both imaginary partner and with real partners), getting your partner to add, subtract, continue etc within the sequences although they are obviously adding or subtracting boxing attacks rather than kung fu patterns. Once you are proficient with your partner adding and subtracting patterns you may want to test the sequences out with a friendly genuine boxer that you may know from your days in the ring.

You would also ensure that your sequences contained methods to press back and attack boxers, so that you don't rely on only defending. Here using sequence 10 with relevant modification to counter the boxers counter strikes is very useful.

Other things to train are footwork; so that you are proficient in tracking a boxer with minimum movements in your stances (again there are many videos on Sigungs site demonstrating this), utilising kicks against boxers and most importantly internal force training.

All of this may take you any time from 3 months to a year depending on your level, how much you focus on this objective and how efficiently you train. We can review this when you next make it up to Edinburgh.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Great contribution Jonny!
            "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
            Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Dear Sifu Marcus,
              I have another aim that I was wondering if my Sinew Meta practice (which I start in April) can help in. I find that I can get quite irritated when my family pushes the wrong buttons or mentions or says things that I am sensitive to. Is it possible to bring my practice to a level where I won't care how they think of me or what they say about me anymore?

Thank you.

Best,

Ray
              "Om"

I pay homage to all the great masters of the past and the present

Comment

Dear Ray

I would like to mention a few observations.

Originally posted by divineshadow View Post
                Thanks for your advice. I want to take Sinew Met to a higher level because when I first learned it from Sifu (Wong) it felt like too much for my body to handle, my chi flows were jerky and erratic. I want to be able to develop more power and energy because I want to feel better about who I am and be more proud of myself. Also by being able to handle such a powerful art it shows that I actually have some genuine skill which is very important to me.
                I notice that in the above quote and in a couple of other posts you mention your flows being jerky and erratic, and indicate that you feel this is perhaps a bad thing. I would say that your chi flow is as it is and one should not overly desire a smooth flow, ie just let the chi flow be jerky if that is the way you are flowing. Sometimes my own flow could be described as jerky and erratic, but as long as I am relaxed and letting go then this is how the chi needs to cleanse.

Whats more important is how relaxed you are in chi flow, how much you are letting go and that you are enjoying your movements.

As you have been taught Sinew Metamorphosis by Sigung you are capable of handling this art in the amount that Sigung recommended on the course. Its more a case of how much will you get out of it. When your skill in chi flow (ie level of relaxation, letting go including all thoughts worries and emotions, and enjoying your flow) is higher you will get more and more out of flicking fingers.

This is the same for the other things you are aiming for such as being less affected by your family, confidence etc.

Therefore I would recommend an objective such as "to relax more deeply in chi flow". To do this - everytime you go into chi kung state of mind, gently and intuitively remind yourself the advice Sigung gives us on a chi kung course to relax physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually - smile from the heart, let go and enjoy ourselves. If you work at this objective for 3-6 months you will find you are no longer worried about how your chi flows are, you will be deeply letting go and enjoying yourself more and more whether jerky or smooth. As you cultivate these skills you will get more and more out of flicking fingers.

All the best

Comment

Great thead here guys
                  "A single light can eliminate the darkness of millennia; a single piece of wisdom can dispel the ignorance of a million years. Do not worry about your past, always think of your future, and for your future always think good thoughts"

Hui Neng The Platform Sutra

Comment

Thanks Johnny,
                    I'll definitely follow up with your advice
                    "Om"

Comment

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I love the way this thread is developing going into quite some detail. I'd like to open the thread up to anyone else who would like some thoughts, guidance, advice etc with their own aims and objectives. Jordan, Jonny, Tim and myself are here to help as best we can.

Kind regards

Marcus

Comment

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
                        I realized that I should post an update on my progress as well. The most amazing thing so far of Sinew Meta. is that I notice my personal will power has improved. There is however at the same time a great amount of cleansing going on and I've noticed some blockages in my body starting to clear out. During chi flows I relax and use my breathing to steady my mind and relax. I've screamed a couple times in chi flow (I hope I don't scare the neighbors) and it has helped clear out some frustrations inside.
                        Energy wise there may be a slight increase it's not something I'm too sure of yet. Physically I feel strong and healthy despite some painful cleansing areas. Sometimes after practice and prayer I feel like I am radiating divine energy. It's pretty wonderful.

Thank you Sifu and all my wonderful Sihengs and Sijies.

Best wishes,

Ray
                        "Om"

Comment

In the recent Questions and Answer Series, Sifu gives us the invaluable advice in planning the daily schedule, based on individual's Aim and Objectives.

The following is full quotation of Sifu's Answer:

Yes, having a structured daily schedule will help to save much time as well as to get maximum benefits from the practice, both in the practice session itself as well as the general programme of training.

Experience has shown that many students waste a lot of time thinking of what to practice next after they have completed one aspect of their training. Because they lack a clear cut schedule, they often practice haphazardly, spending too much time on what is relatively unimportant, neglecting crucial aspects as well as training redundantly.

For example, many students spend years on practicing kungfu sets, without developing force and practicing combat application, which are the two twin pillars of any kungfu training. Yet, after many years of practicing forms, their forms are not correct because they failed to master the basics like how to co-ordinate their body, feet and hands, and how to move with grace and balance.

Having a structured schedule will overcome these setbacks. But before we attempt to work out our schedule, we must have a clear idea of what the art we are going to practice is, what our aims and objectives of practicing are, and what resources we have to work on. Without such preliminary understanding, many people end up with form demonstration or Kick-Boxing though they originally aimed to practice Shaolin Kungfu or Taijiquan. Some of them, including instructors, have invested so much time and effort in their deviated practice that they even think or argue that form demonstration or Kick-Boxing is Shaolin Kungfu or Taijiquan!

Setting aims and objectives are important when constructing a daily practice schedule. It helps to make your practice very cost-effective. To set aims and objectives wisely, you need to be clear of not just what you wish to achieve but also what the art has to offer.

Then you select from within the art the relevant resources for practice that best help you to accomplish your aims and objectives. Arranging this material into some systematic ways for practice makes up your daily practice schedule.

Allot time, say half an hour or an hour, for each training session, and give yourself, say, six months as a package to achieve your objectives. Your daily practice schedule may be the same every day if you have sufficient time in the session to complete the chosen material, or you may vary your daily schedule if you have a lot of material to cover.

Naturally, because of different needs and aspiration as well as developmental stage, different practitioners will have different schedules. Let us take an example of a student who attends regular classes from a Shaolin Wahnam instructor. He aims to have good health and vitality as well as combat efficiency. A good daily schedule is as follows.

Start with about 5 minutes of “Lifting the Sky”. Then spend about 10 minutes on stance training, followed by about 5 to 10 minutes of gentle chi flow. Next, spend about 10 minutes on the Art of Flexibility, alternating with the Art of 100 Kicks on different days, followed by about 5 minutes of chi flow.

Then practice a kungfu set. If he has learnt many sets, he may vary the set on different days. Depending on his needs, aspirations and developmental stage, in his set practice he may focus on correctness of form, fluidity of movements, breath control or explosion of force. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes.

For the next 10 or 15 minutes, he should practice his combat sequences. He may go over all the sequences he has learnt or select those he wishes to consolidate. He will practice them at the level he is at, such as merely going over the routine so that he will be very familiar with them, using steps like continuation and internal changes, or varying them in sparring with an imaginary opponent. He will conclude his training session with 5 or 10 minutes of Standing Meditation where he enjoys inner peace or expands into the Cosmos.

Another student who does not have the advantage of learning from a regional Shaolin Wahnam instructor, may have a very different daily schedule. Suppose he wants to attend my Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course, but could not learn kungfu, even only outward forms, from a local teacher. So he has to learn the forms from my books, and familiarize himself with the combat sequences from my webpages.

His main aim is to prepare himself so that he can qualify to attend the Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course. He has three main objectives -- to be able to perform basic kungfu forms so that he can follow the course, to be familiar with the routine of the 16 combat sequences so that he can focus on developing combat skills instead of wasting time learning the sequence at the course, and to develop some internal force, especially at his arms, so that he can be fit for a lot of sparring. He allots half an hour a day for three months to achieve these objectives.

He should spend the first month focusing on the basics, i.e. the stances and footwork and basic patterns, and the other two months on familiarizing himself with the 16 combat sequences. Force training, including the Art of Flexibility, should be carried out throughout the three months.

He spends about 5 minutes on “Lifting the Sky” which he can learn from my books. He will probably not have any chi flow. For the first two weeks, he focuses only on the stances. He spends about 20 minutes learning how to perform the various stances correctly. At this stage, he needs not, and should not, remain at each stance for any length of time. In other words, this stage is not for zhan-zhuang, or remain at a stance for some time. His task is to be able to perform a stance, for a few seconds, correctly. Within two weeks he should be able to learn the correct positions of the stances quite well. For the remaining 5 minutes, he practices the Art of Flexibility.
                          For the next two weeks he focuses on moving in stances and performing basic patterns.

By now he should be able to move into any stance correctly, though he may not be able to remain at the stance for long. He begins the session with about 5 minutes of “Lifting the Sky”. Then he spends another 5 minutes on performing all the stances correctly. The emphasis is on correct form, and not on remaining at the stance to develop force. Next, he spends about 15 minutes to learn how to move correctly in stances and to perform basic patterns. He should pay careful attention to waist rotation and body weight distribution so that he can move gracefully and without hurting his knees. He concludes
                          the session with the Art of Flexibility. By the end of the month, he should be able to perform basic patterns in proper stances correctly.

For the next two weeks, he focuses on familiarizing himself with the 16 combat sequences as well as developing some internal force. He starts his session with stance training. Now, as the postures of his stances are correct, he focuses on remaining at a stance for as long as he comfortably can. This will take about 5 to 10 minutes. For the remaining 20 minutes, he practices the 16 combat sequences, starting with one and
                          progress to all the others. He needs not worry about force and speed. His concern is to remember the routine of the sequences and perform the patterns correctly.

If he takes three days to learn and practice one combat sequence, he can complete the 16 sequences in 48 days, giving him a few days for general revision. He should learn and practice the sequences progressively, not individually. In other words, by the sixth day, he should be proficient in sequences 1 and 2, and by the ninth day be proficient in sequences 1, 2 and 3, etc.

Hence, if he follows these schedules for three months, he will be well prepared for the Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course even though he might not have any kungfu experience before. On the other hand, someone who may have learnt kungfu for many years, where he only learns external kungfu forms, is ill prepared. This is a good example of cost-effectiveness. The smart student knows what he wants and plans his practice
                          accordingly, whereas the mediocre student practices haphazardly without direction.
                          Thank you, Sifu.

Joko
                          开心 好运气
                          kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
                          open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
                          ------------------------------------------------------------
                          Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
                          ------------------------------------------------------------
                          Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

Great thread, it's always good to remind yourself of your aims and objectives. Sifu teaches us

Set our vision. Chart the directions towards the vision. Success is just a matter of traveling along the planned directions. So long as we keep our directions, arriving at our vision is a matter of time.
                            Best wishes

Ronan
                            "A single light can eliminate the darkness of millennia; a single piece of wisdom can dispel the ignorance of a million years. Do not worry about your past, always think of your future, and for your future always think good thoughts"

Hui Neng The Platform Sutra

Comment

Thanks for sharing those words of Sigung, they are very inspiring.

All the best brother

Comment

In an effort to return this thread to it's original (and very important) subject, I have moved quite a few posts out to separate threads:

It is great that this thread encouraged discussions on so many subjects, but it would have been a shame for these to drown out the original one.

Best wishes,
                                George / Юра
                                Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Working...
                                X