• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joan
    started a topic Quotes from Sifu (Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Quotes from Sifu (Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

My Dear Family,

For 2018 I would like to open a thread on quotes that mean a lot to you from Sifu. It can be from Sifu's books, his Autobiography, Q&A's, courses or over a meal.

I shared one on FB recently and I have been thinking a lot of it since.

Do not ask rhetoric questions that deter you from your goal, just get on with the task that leads you to your goal of overcoming your illness
    Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit taken from http://www.shaolin.org/answers/sp-issues/choice.html

I feel that we often block ourselves in daily life also, not just in overcoming illness, which is why I like this little gem

So............

I invite you all to join the thread with your favourite quote or one that has meaning for you.

Just one quote please with each post and mention where you read it or heard it.

Then it will be easier to read back over them throughout the year. Of course, you can post as often as you like!

Many Blessings and Enjoy!
    Joan

• sancrica
    replied
    Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Please find another inspiring quote from Sifu below:

"To be injury-free in sparring is our norm. It was also the norm in the past. It should also be the norm now, but is actually not. A main reason why anybody practices any martial art is not to be hurt at all in sparring and in real fighting." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Quote Source and Further Reading

Picture Source

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find for today another beautiful and very inspiring quote from Sifu:

"Many students in our school regard "Smiling from the Heart" the best benefit they get from our teaching. Indeed, even if you had no other benefits learning from us but you become happier, you have spent your time well." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find below another fantastic quote from Sifu that I personally love,

"The hallmark of Dao De Jing (Tao Te Ching) is flow, which is also the hallmark of the 36 strategies. Even when we are at a position of strength, we try to win the situation in a pleasant way instead of bulldozing over opponents." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find below another wonderful and inspiring quote from Sifu:

"Situations are constantly changing. This is a universal law. When facing any situation, we must consider its pros and cons, which leads to using strategies. Reversely, in using any strategy we must consider the pros and cons of the situation.

There are opportunities in every situation. This is what we mean by saying that every problem is an opportunity for improvement. If we calculate the pros and cons, we can always work out advantages, which will lead to benefit. We must bear in mind the benefit when we plan a strategy. A strategy that does not bring benefit is futile." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find below another inspiring quote from Sifu:

"I would take this opportunity to mention a very important lesson. In one's progress to become a real master, he (or she) will inevitably come to a stage where he feels he is immensely powerful. In my case I felt I was as powerful as, or even more powerful than, gods! Luckily for me, I knew this lesson well, and remained humble despite my feeling of immense power.

This is often the making or breaking point of a person in his path to becoming a real master. If he passes the test, he will eventually become a master. If he becomes vain, he falls, sometimes miserably. A few of my students, who could otherwise become masters, failed at this point. This is one important reason I want to post your experience and give this lesson." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find below another inspiring quote from Sifu:

"Finding a true master, or at least a competent teacher, is very important. Most students, however, ignore this important step. They think that all instructors are the same, which of course is not true. It is also not true that all chi kung is the same. Failure to appreciate these two facts cause many students not only unable to gain benefits from their practice but also waste a lot of time, often in matters of years." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

I would like to share today another beautiful and inspiring quote from Sifu:

"When a person cultivates his spirit, he becomes peaceful and happy. His sense or feeling of peace and happiness spreads and influences other people. This is expressed in the English proverb that “Birds of the same feathers flock together”.

You can test out this experiment easily. Speak to someone peacefully and happily. You will have a favorable response. Now speak the same things to someone angrily or rudely. You can be sure that the response will be different." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find below another inspiring quote from Sifu that I personally love:

"We are confident in our teaching and of the benefits that our teaching will bring because we ourselves have gone through the same process and have enjoyed the benefits. We have to inspire confidence into our students that they too can enjoy these benefits.

But we have to remind them that they have to put in time and effort, just as we did before them. They should also know that their journey to recovery or to mastery of our arts is long and not easy, though we have done our best to make it much faster and easier for them than what it was in the past and what it is in most other schools." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Originally posted by Dominic Roche View Post
    Dear Santiago Sisook,

Thank you for sharing so much inspiration.

Thank you Sigung for your wonderful wisdom and guidance.

Best wishes,
    Dominic.
    Thank you dear Sijat for you kind words. They are much appreciated. :-)

Originally posted by LeeWeiJoo View Post

The photo of Sifu playing that cute little violin is priceless!

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo
    I totally agree with you dear Sidai. I love that picture as it brings a profound smile in my heart. :-)

For todays quote I would like to share another beautiful answer from Sifu:

"If you treat your older and weaker students as old and weak, they will remain old and weak. Tell them to become young and strong, despite their age and infirm condition. Of course they do not become young and strong over-night, or even in a month or two. If they are 60 now, or have to pause a few times to rest while going up a slope, tell them that in a year's time they will feel and look like 55, and be able to walk up a slope briskly without panting.

We do not just set the vision and the direction, but also provide the tools with which the students work on to achieve their goals. If they just travel on, i.e. practice correctly every day, arriving is a matter of time.

Of course we do not treat an old or infirm student as if he were young and strong. We ask him to become young and strong, and give him the tools to do so. He has to use the tools. But most important of all, he must want to be young and strong, want it enough to put in time and effort to realize the vision." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• LeeWeiJoo
    replied
    Originally posted by sancrica View Post

Please find another beautiful quote from Sifu below:

Picture Source

Santi

The photo of Sifu playing that cute little violin is priceless!

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo

Leave a comment:

• Dominic Roche
    replied
    Dear Santiago Sisook,

Thank you for sharing so much inspiration.

Thank you Sigung for your wonderful wisdom and guidance.

Best wishes,
    Dominic.

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find another beautiful quote from Sifu below:

"You should not only aim at the destination but also enjoy the journey. You should not just celebrate the achievement but also cherish the effort." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find below another fantastic quote from Sifu:

"Similarly, if you wake up in the morning to find the sky overcast, and you complain that it is going to rain, or when you go to work or to study and complain you are going to have a hard time ahead, you view life the negative way. If you rejoice that plants will be glad of the falling water, and you have a chance again to listen to falling rain, and that you are blessed with another day to experience the wonders of just being alive, you view life the Shaolin Wahnam way." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

​​​​​​​

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find below another inspiring and marvelous quote from Sifu:

"We in Shaolin Wahnam have a few wonderful skills to open our heart. Our signature skill, of course, is to smile from our heart. When we smile from our heart, it opens, with the result that we feel happy and free. When you have this skill, it does not matter whether you are a pauper or a millionaire, on a lonely island or in a crowded city, when you smile from your heart you become free and happy.

It was not without good reasons that our past masters said, “Hok tak siu lam chan miew fatt, ho ko tim sek pin kam cheun”, which means “When you have accomplished the genuine, marvelous Shaolin arts, it is better than accomplishing the skill of turning stones to gold by touch!”" - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

Working...
X