• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sancrica
    replied
    Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Please find below another beautiful and inspiring quote from Sifu:

"After the chi flow you have had, and after every chi flow you have, your soul is slightly purer." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Quote Source and Further Reading

Picture Source

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

"Goodness always triumphs." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• bawerman
    replied
    My favorite quote by Mooji - If you are curious, you will learn. If you are desperate, you will discover. https://quotesdepo.com/tp-curiosity-quotes/
    Last edited by bawerman; 12th June 2020, 07:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

"All phenomena, therefore, are illusory; they are like a mirage, the moon in water, an image in a mirror, or a dream. They have no characteristics of their own, and are devoid of self-nature. Because of our delusion, we mistakenly think that phenomena, such as people and animals, rivers and mountains, stars and galaxies, are objectively or ultimately real; if we are enlightened, we shall find that actually there are no phenomena. In the phenomenal world, a thought, an emotion or a building may arise or cease to be; an intention or an action may be considered defiled or pure; new monks may be added to the monastic order or some money may be subtracted from your bank account. But in ultimate reality, there is nothing arising or ceasing; nothing defiled or pure, nothing is added or subtracted; ultimate reality is all tranquil and undifferentiated." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• Damian Kissey
    replied
    " It is only wise to follow established methods. Only when we know the established methods very well, we may make modifications if necessary."

-Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit-

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find below another inspiring quote from Sifu:

"Skills need to be learnt from a competent teacher who is willing to teach you, not from a book or a video. For example, you don't learn how to drive or swim from books or videos but from living instructors. Even when you know the techniques of driving or swimming, unless you have the skills, you still cannot drive or swim." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

""If there is form, strike the form; if there is no form, chase the shadow" is a very effective tactic irrespective of at what level the opponent is.

"Form" here means any form, i.e. his movement of hands, legs and body, not just kungfu form. If there is form, strike the form. If an untrained opponent moves forward, strike his body with your "iron" arm. If a Karate opponent attacks you with a punch, move back to avoid his punch and simultaneously strike his arm. If a Taekwondo exponent kicks you, move back to avoid his kick and simultaneously strike his leg. Do not strike him just once but continuously.

"Chase the shadow" means that when an opponent withdraws his punch or kick and moves back, cover him adequately and strike his head or body with your "iron" arm. Do not strike him just once but continuously.

As in all tactics and techniques, you need to practice them. Once you know a selection of these tactics and techniques, use them effectively. If an opponent is untrained or of a lower level, it is easier to defeat him, like using round-house kicks. You may not have to use tactics.

But if the opponent is trained and of the same level or of a higher level, you may have to use tactics, such as "continuous attacks", "instance response", "sound east strike west" or "lead opponent to futility then respond with surprised attacks".

But ultimately it is skills that decide the winner. If your opponent is more skillful than you, even when you use good techniques and he doesn't know the tactics, he can defeat you. But if you use tactics, you can defeat him even when he is more skillful.

Today, many combatants do not even know techniques. They just exchange blows generously." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles David View Post
    Dear Santi Siheng,

As you know, due other commitments, I have been absent from the forum for some time. But on my return, I am very happy to see that you have been posting such wonderful inspiring quotes and stories from our dear Sifu. Of course, I always carry Sifu's teaching and words in my heart, but seeing them here, presented in another way, is very heartwarming.
    Thank you very much for your kind words dear Sidai. They are greatly appreciated. It is heartwarming to read that you always carry Sifu's teachings in your heart. I use this opportunity for wishing you a wonderful day.

Originally posted by LeeWeiJoo View Post
    Dear Santi Siheng,

I am one of the those that read your inspiring and beautiful quotes from Sifu everyday on this forum. Please know that they are much appreciated

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo
    Thank you very much for your kind words dear Sidai. I am very happy to know that the inspiring and beautiful quotes from Sifu are bringing you many benefits. I use this opportunity for wishing you a wonderful day.

Santi

Leave a comment:

• LeeWeiJoo
    replied
    Dear Santi Siheng,

I am one of the those that read your inspiring and beautiful quotes from Sifu everyday on this forum. Please know that they are much appreciated

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo

Leave a comment:

• Charles David
    replied
    Dear Santi Siheng,

As you know, due other commitments, I have been absent from the forum for some time. But on my return, I am very happy to see that you have been posting such wonderful inspiring quotes and stories from our dear Sifu. Of course, I always carry Sifu's teaching and words in my heart, but seeing them here, presented in another way, is very heartwarming.
    Last edited by Charles David; 15th May 2020, 01:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

"Correctness of form is very important in kungfu. If the form is not picture-perfect, it will miss many advantages.

A good procedure is routine-form-force-flow if we use the force method, or routine-form-flow-force if we use the flow method. The procedure can be used for any pattern, sequence or set.

Let us use the force method for the set, Lohan Asks the Way. First we learn the routine of the set. Then, pattern by pattern, we ensure that we have picture-perfect form. Next, we explode force when it is necessary, like when we punch out in "Black Tiger Steals Heart". Fourthly, we link the patterns smoothly into a sequence. Leaving out the greeting at the start and the end, we can have 4 sequences.

Let us now use the flow method for the set, Cloud Hands. First we learn the routine of the set. Then, pattern by pattern, we ensure we have picture-perfect form. Next, we perform the set smoothly in 4 sequences -- the first sequence is on the right from "Immortal Waves Sleeves" to "Single Whip", the second sequence is on the left from "Immortal Waves Sleeves" to "Single Whip", the third sequence is forward and backward from "White Crane Flaps Wings" to "Green Dragon Shoots Pearl", and the fourth sequence is forward from "Cross-Hand Thrust-Kick" to "Playing the Lute"." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

"Later, I discontinued the practice of sitting meditation. This was because of an incredible experience in a bank.

I was in a queue waiting to cash a cheque for my school teacher's pay. The queue was long and it would be some time before my turn, so I decided to have some fun.

I saw a Malay gentleman sitting on a chair with his wife and two children. I used my mind to will him to stand up, turn to his left, walk three steps, pause for a short while then turn back and walk five steps past his family. He did exactly as I willed him to, looking a bit foolish. His family looked at him with some amazement but said nothing.

I instructed the Malay gentleman with my mind to walk briskly to the entrance of the bank, stand there and scratch his left ear with his left hand. He did, not knowing why he did so.

I told him to turn to his right and immediately walk ahead along the corridor. He did and was out of sight. I told him to walk back to the entrance of the bank, walk straight to his chair, sit down and fold his arm. Again, he did exactly as I told him. I thanked the Malay gentleman and blessed him and his family.

I was alarmed, deeply alarmed. I had developed my mind through daily meditation to an incredibly powerful level, far too powerful to be comfortable. I knew very well I would never abuse my mind power - that would be very silly of me - but still having such a powerful mind was a heavy burden, and I did not want to carry the burden. So I stopped practising sitting meditation, and discontinued teaching it." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

The Way of the Master (page 318)

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

"Skills need to be learnt from a competent teacher who is willing to teach you, not from a book or a video. For example, you don't learn how to drive or swim from books or videos but from living instructors. Even when you know the techniques of driving or swimming, unless you have the skills, you still cannot drive or swim." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

Please find another beautiful and inspiring quote from Sifu:

"Some teachers advise against providing negative demonstration. In other words, a teacher should not demonstrate what is wrong; he should only demonstrate what is right.

I have found from my own experience, as a student as well as a teacher, that this avoidance of negative demonstration is unwise. Not only demonstrating but actually asking students to experience mistakes commonly made by other people while emphasising to them these are mistakes, then correcting the mistakes and teaching the right movements with the students experiencing all these steps, improve learning efficiency tremendously." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

The Way of the Master (page 286)

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

• sancrica
    replied

"The Chairman of the Poon Yu Association Lion Dance Troupe had his eldest son enrolled in the Wing Choon class as well as the lion dance class of the association. As any father would, he wanted his son to get the best teaching in both classes. So, he specially asked me to take good care of his son's training. I did. Whenever I was at the Wing Choon and lion dance classes, without other people knowing, I paid special attention to his son.

One night, while he was performing Siu Lin Tou, the fundamental set of Wing Choon Kungfu, I found his elbow raised. This was a serious mistake, affecting both combat efficiency and internal force training. A kungfu saying, "cham chang lok pok", which means "drop elbows lower shoulders", highlights this important point.

I went over to him, pointed out his mistake and demonstrated how the technique should be performed. But instead of correcting his mistake, he told me, "I know that already."

Remembering his father's request, I gave him a second chance. I told him that what he did was incorrect, showed him the correct form and asked him to repeat after me. Again he said, "I know that already."

I just smiled and walked away.

I recalled that when I was learning from Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, sometimes my sifu taught me techniques that I already knew and could perform very well. But I learned them as if it were my first time learning them. Then I discovered it was not because my sifu had forgotten he had taught me those techniques before but because performing those techniques well was necessary for progressing to the next stage of development." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

The Way of the Master (Page 271)

Picture Source

Santi

Leave a comment:

Working...
X