Quotes from Sifu (Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I just read this quote from Sifu and I loved it. I wanted to share it with all of you:

"It is easy to give, when we want to give" - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Quote Source and Further Reading
    wife01.jpg

Picture Source

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Please find below another wonderful quote that I personally love from Sifu:

"You also manifest what my own teacher, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, told me many years ago, that "it is not a question of who started learning first, the one who achieves the intended result is the more accomplished." This statement is particular meaningful to those who mistakenly think they have accomplished much because they have spent many years learning. Many people may have learnt Tai Chi Chuan or chi kung years before you, but they may not be as accomplished as you." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sifu-ho-fatt-nam01.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another beautiful and inspiring quote from Sifu:

"The real, temple where you will find God, the Buddha or any name one may use to call the Supreme Being according to his religion or culture, is found in your heart. The fulfillment of all religions is here.

God, or whatever name one may call the Supreme Being, wants everybody to be happy, healthy and rich. God does not want anyone to be sad, sick and poor. Appreciating this great truth enables one to realize it is a big mistake to think one has to be poor and suffering to reach God or to attain any spiritual fulfillment. It is just the reverse!

Why, then, are some people sick, poor and suffering? Has God forsaken them? Of course not. God is fair and kind to all. Some people are sick, poor and suffering not because God does not bestow His blessings on them, but because they themselves block God's blessings. Their blockage can be physical, emotional or mental.

The most serious is mental blockage. In Chinese terms, these people have closed their heart. If they open their heart, they can find not only the temple and God's blessings, they may also find God himself. There are many ways to open the heart; practicing genuine chi kung is an excellent way.

You are very lucky to have learnt genuine chi kung from your master. Therefore, your heart was open, and you experienced inner peace and spiritual joy, which are two of the wonderful blessings of God. But when you returned to your bad company and bad ways, your heart closed again.

You must not only avoid evil company and evil deeds, but most important you must not think of evil, because evil is dirt or defilement that blocks your heart. An example of evil thought is to think that your master would abandon you and not help you to get out of your evil ways. You must change your heart, which in simple language means you must change your mind-set.

From thinking that your master and other good people will despise you, you have to change your mind-set to thinking that your master and other good people will help you. From thinking that you cannot get out of your evil ways, you must change your mind-set to thinking that you will definitely leave your previously evil ways and lead a normal, healthy life. From feeling ashamed of yourself because of your past wrong, you must change to feeling proud of yourself because of your determination to rise up again.

Even if for some reasons, your master and other people cannot help you directly, you have to help yourself. The most important step is to change your mind-set from surrendering to evil to working towards good. In other words, you change your heart from dwelling in your gloomy past to working towards your bright future. Once your heart, or mind-set, is changed for the better, the rest will follow." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

God is in Your Heart.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

• Once again Siheng thank you for sharing Sifu's quotes of wisdom with us.

Shaolin Salute,
          Brendan

Comment

• Originally posted by brendan View Post
            Once again Siheng thank you for sharing Sifu's quotes of wisdom with us.

Shaolin Salute,
            Brendan
            Thank you dear Sidai for your kind words. Much appreciated. :-)

I would like to share another wonderful quote from Sifu that I found recently:

"Many people are amazed at the results they obtained at my courses, whether in Malaysia or in my regional classes. For example, in the recent regional Taijiquan course in Spain from 12th to 14th August 2003, students, including some fresh beginners, learned internal force, combat application and a 24-pattern Taijiquan set reasonably well within just three days.

One important reason for our rapid progress was that we employed the “principle of three mistakes”, which allowed a student to make the same mistake only three times. A student making the same mistake a fourth time would be spanked. Partly because they did not want to face the possibility of being publicly spanked, and mainly they took the principle to heart, all the students could “progress without retrogressing”, which was another important principle we adopted.

You have made the same mistake twice. According to my “principle of three mistakes”, you still have one more chance before you are publicly spanked. But, of course, don't make the same mistake three times; take the third chance as a safety precaution, not an allowance." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

chikung01c.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find another quote from Sifu that I personally love:

"It is worthy of note that no matter how hard some people may perceive an art to be realized, if the “three requirements” are present, that art can be realized. The “three requirements” are the method, the teacher and the student. The method must lead to an accomplishment of the art. The teacher must be competent. The student must be ready and willing to learn." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

uk-summer-camp2015-01.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another beautiful and inspiring quote from Sifu:

"Generations of masters have advised that if there is a conflict between the head and the heart, listen to the heart. In other words, do what you feel is right, rather than what you think is right.

This does not mean you can act rashly or irrationally. First of all you have to think carefully. But after careful and thorough consideration, you still feel you should act differently, then follow your heart. When you follow your head, you follow the reasoning of man; when you follow your heart, you follow God."

shaolin04.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

• Dear Shaolin Family Members

Today in the afternoon I came across an answer to a question I asked myself in the morning.

Similarly, at a lower level, we have excellent methods and proven records to help patients overcome so-called incurable diseases. But they must satisfy three conditions:
                  1. They must believe that their so-called incurable diseases can be cured.
                  2. They must want to he healthy again.
                  3. They must practice the appropriate methods.
                  Here is the link: https://shaolin.org/zen/hawaii2014/zen-hawaii03.html

There is lots of gold in Shaolin Wahnam!

Greetings
                  "No matter what you do, you must be clear in your conscience." - Sitaigung Ho
                  A single light can eliminate the darkness of millenia.
                  Every moment is precious.

Comment

Please find below another wonderful quote from Sifu:

"The two pillars of Guan Yin Bodh Satt's teaching are wisdom and compassion. They are also the two pillars of the teaching in our school. We are wise enough to realize, both in theory and in practice, that the training in our arts is to enrich our daily life. This realization is of particular importance today when most chi kung practitioners do not get much benefit from their training because they, usually without their conscious knowing, practice gentle physical exercise instead of genuine chi kung, and most martial artists routinely hurt themselves and therefore their training is detrimental to their daily life.

We are compassionate in being generous to deserving students, and forgiving to those who may have wronged us. On the other hand, we are wise enough not to waste our time on those who do not want our help. Being forgiving to others also brings much benefit to ourselves as we do not let negative energy abide in us, though we did not crave for such benefit in the first place." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

gyin01c.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another wonderful quote from Sifu.

“If you just relax and smile from your heart, and be simple, direct and effective in whatever you do, you will soon find life easier and happier.” - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

05ED1B13-D398-472F-9386-5D7AA960202D.jpg

Santi

Comment

Please find below another wonderful quote from Sifu:

"It is easy to smile from the heart when we are calm. But smiling from the heart can be done when we are agitated, though it is not easy. Sink your "chi" (or energy) to your "dan tian" (or abdominal energy field). This will make you calm. Then smile from the heart." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

smiling02.jpg

Comment

Please find below a wonderful long quote from Sifu about the "Heart to Heart" transmission:

"Many people, including myself in my young days, would think that if a teacher gave complete and clear instructions to his students and they follow the instructions correctly, they would succeed in their learning. Later I discovered from personal experiences, both in learning as well as in teaching, that this was not so, especially in advanced arts.

There are many other aspects to learning and teaching besides the instructions. One important category of these aspects may be generalized as heart to heart transmission. This heart to heart transmission often happens when the teacher and the student are face to face, but it is not just face to face instruction, and may sometimes occur even when they are separated by a considerable distance. It is certainly not just correcting a student's physical form to prevent harm. In fact, often in such a heart to heart transmission, the teacher may ignore physical mistakes.

Heart to heart transmissions have some common factors. All heart to heart transmissions operate at a heightened state of consciousness, also called meditative state of mind or chi kung state of mind, where there is no intellectualization or reasoning, but only being. Hence, masters ask their students to follow instructions without questions, because once they start to question, they would come out of this meditative state of mind into their ordinary, everyday reasoning mind. Those who think that following a master's instructions without questions is subservient or silly simply have no inkling of what heart to heart transmission is.

Another common factor is that the students have complete trust in their masters. This trust is not blind or subservient but intelligent and due to deep respect, and is normally not demanded by the masters but volunteered by the students themselves. Without this trust and the deep respect for their masters, the students would be unable to receive the profound teaching transmitted by the masters, not because the masters did not want to transmit but because the students' doubt and arrogance block the transmission itself.

A third factor is that although words are often used in the transmission, the heart to heart transmission itself is beyond verbalization. A mediocre instructor using exactly the same words even spoken at the same time would be unable to transmit the intended techniques, skills or wisdom. Besides the tone, the authority and sincerity of the master's teaching, which are crucial, there is also an inexplicable transference of experience and ability in the form of energy and mind from the master to the students. Therefore, a teacher who does not have direct experience of what he teaches, will be unable to transmit that teaching to his students.

Heart to heart transmissions can be of different types and of vastly different levels. At the lowest and prosaic level, they may occur in an instructor teaching a student how to drive a car elegantly or how to kick a football skillfully into a goal. Hence, one may read all the instructions from a manual about driving or football kicking, yet unable to attain the desired skills. Similarly, in kungfu training one may learn the required techniques from a book or a video, but without the heart to heart transmission of skills from a caring instructor, he may still be unable to marshal internal force to break a brick or execute a seemingly effortless defence against a strong, massive opponent.

But it is in advanced arts and spiritual cultivation that heart to heart transmissions are most heard of but little understood. A brief description of how I taught students to direct chi to massage their stomach, lungs or kidneys, may give some idea of heart to heart transmission. The instructions are simple and straight-forward. Basically they consist of the following. “Relax. Generate your chi flow. Direct the chi to your lungs (or other internal organs) and massage them.”

You may learn for years the techniques of relaxation, of generating chi flow, and of directing chi to massage internal organs from books, from videos or instructors who themselves do not have such skills, yet to no avail. But students who attended my chi kung course on “Massaging Internal Organs” successfully acquired these skills in just one day! Some grateful students remarked that this could not be anything else but heart to heart transmission.

How did I do it? By transmitting the required skills beyond the verbal instructions I used, but sometimes by a transference of energy and mind, I got the students to relax, then helped them to start their energy flow, then led them to direct their chi to massage their organs. Would the students be able to massage their organs on their own without my hellp? Yes, after they have been led by my heart to heart transmission to acquire the skills, they can do so on their own by following appropriate techniques. This was what my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, meant when he said, “Yiat lei thong, pak lei meng” (Cantonese), which means “Once you can walk a mile, you can walk a hundred miles.”

The highest level and best known of heart to heart transmissions is found in Zen. A proverbial example was the heart to heart transmission from the Buddha to Kasyapa, the First Patriarch of Indian Zen Buddhism. At Vulture Peak, the Buddha showed a kambara flower to thousands of followers. Nobody else except Kasyapa grasped the non-verbal teaching, and attained Enlightenment instantly. Later, Kasyapa transmitted heart to heart to Anada, the Second Indian Patriarch. “Take down the banner!” Kasyapa ordered Anada. Anada grasped the teaching beyond words, and was enlightened instantly.​"

Heart to Heart.jpg

With love, care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Please find below another wonderful quote from one of my favourite Sifu's articles:

"So, whatever events, persons, beliefs, problems or difficulties you interact with, always have positive perceptions of them. Try it out for a month, and examine the result yourself. If you find it beneficial use this New Year gift for this year and every year." - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Perception is often more important than reality.jpg

Santi

Comment

Please find below another of my favorites Sifu's quotes:

"Many people complain that they cannot relax. This is because they tense their muscles. They also complain that they are stressful. This is because they think of countless thoughts unnecessarily. To overcome these two common problems is simple, though it may not be easy.

As tensing muscles makes you unable to relax, and if you want to be relaxed, just don't tense your muscles. As thinking of countless thoughts unnecessarily makes you stressful, and if you want to be stress-free, just don't think of countless thoughts unnecessarily.

As an analogy, if jumping down a steep cliff may break your legs, and if you don't want your legs to be broken, just don't jump down a steep cliff.

Not doing something is certainly easier than doing something. Not jumping down a steep cliff is easier than jumping down a steep cliff. Not tensing your muscles or not thinking of countless thoughts unnecessarily is easier than tensing your muscles or thinking of countless thoughts unnecessarily.

Instead of philosophising or intellectualising whether you should or should not jump down a steep cliff, or philosophising how or when you should not jump down the steep clip, just do it, i.e. just don't jump down the cliff.

Similarly, instead of philosophising or intellectualising how or why or whether you should tense your muscles or think of countless thoughts unnecessarily, just do it, i.e. just don't tense your muscles or don't think of countless thoughts unnecessarily.

If you have been habitually tensing your muscles or habitually thinking of unnecessarily thoughts, to stop tensing your muscles or thinking of unnecessary thoughts may not be easy, but it can be done. You need not stop tensing or thinking abruptly, but if you make an effort every day to tense your muscles less or to think of unnecessary thoughts less, you will gradually become more and more relaxed and stress-free.​" - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                              Quote extracted from "The Way of the Master" Book

Being Relaxed and Happy.jpg

Comment

Please find below another of my favorites Sifu's quotes:

"True love involves giving, not taking" - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Santi

True Love.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X