Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flowing Water Floating Clouds -a gift from Sifu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowing Water Floating Clouds -a gift from Sifu!

My Dear Family and Virtual Kwoon readers,

Sifu has given us another gift this Saturday morning which I would like to share with you here. Thank you Sifu!

From Sifu:
    Yang Lu Chan is regarded as the First Patriarch of Yang Style Taijiquan. This gives the impression that Yang Lu Chan used Yang Style Taijiquan in his friendly sparring with masters of various styles during his travels all over China. He always won, winning the prestigious title “Yang the Ever Victorious”.

Many people, including many Yang stylists, do not know that what Yang Lu Chan used in his ever victorious fights was not Yang Style Taijiquan, but Chen Style Taijiquan! Yang Lu Chan did not invent Yang Style Taijiquan. He might not even have seen any Yang Style Taijiquan!

Yang Style Taijiquan was invented by his grandson, Yang Deng Fu. Yang Deng Fu was a great fighter, but he explicitly said that he invented Yang Style Taijiquan for health. This did not mean that Yang Style Taijiquan was not effective for fighting. Yang Deng Fu changed Chen Style to Yang Style by enlarging and rounding the movements of the Taijiquan he learned from his father, Yang Chien Hou, and performing the movements slowly and gracefully.

Then, why is Yang Lu Chan and not Yang Deng Fu regarded as the First Patriarch of Yang Style Taijiquan? There is no definite answer, just as there is no definite answer why many practitioners regard their style as Hoong Ka (Hung Gar) Kungfu instead of Luk Ka Kungfu, and their First Patriarch as Hoong Hei Khoon instead of Luk Ah Choy, though actually Luk Ah Choy was their first patriarch.

It was probably that Yang stylists in particular and people in general honoured Yang Lu Chan for bringing Taijiquan out from the Chen Village where Chen Style Taijiquan was exclusively practiced only by selected Chen family members.

Another interesting fact was that when Chen Style Taijiquan was first brought out of China, people were very surprised because it looked more like Shaolin Kungfu than what they conceptualized Taijiquan to be! At first many people found it hard to believe what they saw was Taijiquan. It was forceful with fast movements – very unlike the slow, graceful and gentle movements they were used to seeing how Taijiquan was performed.

Flowing Water Floating Clouds is an excellent example of Chen Style Taijiquan that Yang Lu Chan practiced. It is almost ridiculous to reflect that although Yang Lu Chan was originally wealthy, he had to work as a servant for many years to “steal” Taijiquan from the Chen Village, whereas our family members can now learn it in just a few days in beautiful Ireland.

END

I then asked Sifu the following question:

Dear Sifu, may I ask please, why did Yang Lu Chan's grandson feel the need to change a style that was already very effective and a legacy in the family. Was the Chen style practised by Yang Lu Chan not also good for health?

I will share Sifu's answer with you here in a few days time. In the meantime, if you wish perhaps you could attempt to answer the question also
    Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
    GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
    ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
    THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Dear Family,

I will have a guess at this question.

I think the Chen style also has health benefits the difference been is
    The main focus of Chen style is self defence and less focus is on the health benefits although they are there.. Where as Yang style the main focus is on the health benefits and less focus is on self defence although it to is also there.

The reason I think this was done was because of the needs at the time. When Yang Deng Fu created Yang style he was possibly living in a more peaceful time. And saw a greater need for health then for self defence.

A bit like our School really

Thank you Sifu for offering to teach us such wonderful and amazing courses time and time again. I can't believe my luck to get so many wonderful opportunities like this Thank You.

Thank you Sije for making this happen here in our little Emerald isle and for the chance to try and answer some great questions on the courses.

Shaolin Salute,
    Brendan

Comment

Dear Sifu,

This is a beautiful gift from Sigung. It is amazing to know the great opportunity we have to learn and practice the same Tai Chi Chuan as the great Yang Lu Chan.

My answer to the question would be similar to Brendan Sisook’s in that Chen style Tai Chi Chuan’s focus was on combat and not health. Even though their was great health benefits, Chen Style Tai Chi Chuan may have been too difficult for people who were sick to practice and therefore Yang Deng Fu changed Chen Style into Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan with a focus on slow, graceful movements and emphasis on health benefits.

Thank you Sigung for this wonderful gift and for the great opportunity to enrich our lives with the practice of Tai Chi Chuan.

Thank you Sifu for sharing this gift with us and for all the wonderful Tai Chi Chuan training and guidance you give us.

The 2013 Valentines Festival is going to be a momentous event, I can’t wait for it

Shaolin Salute,
      Dominic.

Comment

Dear Sigung, Dear Siguma,

Thank you for this clarification and for the Flowing Water, Floating Cloud Set offered in Ireland. I am really looking forward to the course .
        My answer for the question is similar to what Sisook and Sidai suggest.

Yang Deng Fu might have modified the style to suite his students' needs, which was health and maybe also movements easier to learn. I was looking for a biography, but haven't found anything, to confirm where and whom he taught. But I remember the original Yang Style includes two forms one with larger and the other with smaller movements.

Andrea
        Last edited by Andrea; 27 January 2013, 09:52 AM.
        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Dear Andrea, Dominic and Brendan,

Thank you for taking part in the question

Andrea it will be a pleasure having you join us in Killarney again this year. We are sure to have lots and lots of fun

Here is Sifu's amazing answer to me.

I don't know exactly why Yang Deng Fu (also spelt as Yang Cheng Fu) changed the style; I could only guess.

One main reason, I believe, was the Chen Style Taijiquan he learned from his father, who in turn learned from his father, Yang Lu Chan, was kept as top secret. Yang Lu Chan had to become a servant for many years in the Chen Village to "steal" this art.

Yang Deng Fu intended to teach publiciy. It was probable that he did not want to teach this exclusive art openly. Hence, he made some large-scale modifications.

The art we are going to practice in Ireland, Flowing Water floating Clouds, was what the three great Yang Style masters kept as top secret.

Chen Style Taijiquan was not popularly taught at the time of Yang Deng Fu. It was an elite art. Yang Style Taijiquan invented by him became very popular.

END

I think it is incredulous that we are going to learn this set at a regional course. Sifu's answer has made me realise personally what a true jewel we are going to learn. It 'was what the three great Yang Style masters kept as top secret'.

We are indeed very blessed and I am very humbled by this information.

With deepest respect to Sifu and all the past Masters,
          Joan

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
          GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
          ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Sifu,

If I was not already excited by this course I certainly am now.
            What an opportunity to learn a set that these three Yang Masters thought so highly off.

Not only do I find this a very beautiful set to practise I find it very powerful also and can't wait to go deeper into this set and it's applications at the course.

Each year the Valentine courses just keep getting better and better

Thank you Sifu,
            Thank you Sije,

Shaolin Salute,
            Brendan

Comment

Dear Sifu,

It is incredible to know that Flowing Water Floating Clouds was kept top secret by the three great Yang Style masters and now we have the golden opportunity to learn this set and its secrets form Sigung.

It doesn’t get better than that

Thank you Sigung and thank you Sifu for this life changing opportunity.

Shaolin Salute,
              Dominic.

Comment

Dear family,

After some time spent examining a number of gong fu and Taiji schools, there simply is no comparison to the benefits, skills, and efficiency that I have seen in my Shaolin Wahnam family members. A Taiji dance instructor whose club I visited last night really solidified in my mind just how lucky we are to have a Sigung and so many Sifu's who teach a safe, effective, and powerful art. I believe that if you wish to help slow and possibly even reverse the ridiculous degradation of Taijiquan, please seize this opportunity. The great past masters deserve that their arts be carried on in the hands of the worthy.

I'm sure everyone will have lots of fun! Wish I could be there.
                I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Dear Dominic, Brendan and Frederick and Family,

Brendan:
                  Not only do I find this a very beautiful set to practise I find it very powerful also and can't wait to go deeper into this set and it's applications at the course.
                  Only two weeks to go Brendan Glad to hear that you are enjoying your practice of this beautiful and exclusive set. We are indeed very blessed!

Dominic:
                  It is incredible to know that Flowing Water Floating Clouds was kept top secret by the three great Yang Style masters and now we have the golden opportunity to learn this set and its secrets form Sigung
                  Sifu is so kind and generous with secrets and offering 'Golden Opportunities'. I am glad so many of our family are grasping them!

Frederick:
                  After some time spent examining a number of gong fu and Taiji schools, there simply is no comparison to the benefits, skills, and efficiency that I have seen in my Shaolin Wahnam family members
                  Thank you Frederick. Your lovely post gives me a nice opportunity to ask another question to our Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan family

Question:
                  What are the benefits and skills you have gained from learning Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan?

and I leave you with a quote from Frederick:

The great past masters deserve that their arts be carried on in the hands of the worthy.
                  Smile from the Heart,
                  Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                  ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Sifu,

This is a very interesting question. Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan has given me everything I have at this very moment. I am happy and healthy for the first time in my life and I love being alive.

Benefits:

I am happy and healthy.
                    I feel grounded and free.
                    I feel confident and outgoing.
                    I am able to enjoy myself and everything I do.
                    Feeling relaxed.
                    I think more positively.
                    Determination to live a good and purposeful life.
                    At last I have an appreciation for God and his love for us.
                    I feel closer to my family and friends and can engage in conversation with them more easily.
                    No more blushing.
                    More respect for everyone.
                    The opportunity to practice the Ten Shaolin Laws.

Skills:

Able to stay relaxed and focused when dealing with people.
                    Smiling from the heart.
                    Chi flow.
                    I’m able to make decisions easier.
                    I can finish work projects with confidence.
                    I can read a persons intension more easily.
                    Let go of problems.

I am forever grateful to Sigung and you Sifu, and all the past Masters for the benefits and skills I have received. I have no doubt I haven’t even scratched the surface of Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan and the benefits it will bring and I look forward to the future with great happiness and wonder.

Thank you Sigung.
                    Thank you Sifu.
                    Thank you to all the past Masters.
                    Thank you God.

Shaolin Salute,
                    Dominic.

Comment

Dear Dominic,

Thank you for sharing all of those wonderful benefits and skills that you have attained as a Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan student.

I am sure your post will be an inspiration to others who are thinking of learning Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan or who are already learning it. It will also help students crystalise their own benefits and skills and perhaps share them here with us

5 more days to Sifu's visit

How very blessed we are!

With deepest respect,
                      Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                      ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Joan Sije,

"The art we are going to practice in Ireland, Flowing Water floating Clouds, was what the three great Yang Style masters kept as top secret."
                        Thank you for sharing with us Sifu's 'gift' of the history behind "Flowing Water, Floating Clouds".

How wonderful that the secrets will be taught by Sifu in Ireland!

I would like to wish you and everyone in beautiful Ireland the best of fun and success.

From the heart,

Emiko
                        Emiko Hsuen
                        www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                        www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
                        Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                        4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
                        Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
                        Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
                        Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
                        Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
                        To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

Dear Emiko,

Thank you for your lovely wishes

We are indeed very blessed and lots of fun is guaranteed!

Smile from the Heart
                          Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                          ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X