Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simplified 24 Pattern (Beijing/Yang) Set the Wahnam Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I keep fond memories of this set, I had practised 3 versions of it until I learned the best one form sifu.
    All the 3 videos of my brothers are wonderful.
    Daniel Pérez
    http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Comment

FYI, I started another threat that may be of interest:

The World's Most Popular Tai Chi Form

Yours in Zen,
      Sifu Anthony Korahais
      www.FlowingZen.com
      (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

When teaching the Yang 24 pattern set in St Petersburg, Sigung made two points about the name we give it in Shaolin Wahnam:

1) It is not accurate (there are more than 24 patterns in it);
        2) It is not very poetic.

So Sigung challenged us – Can we come up with a more beautiful name for the set? Our answer, of course, is “Yes we can Sigung!”

So let us have some fun. Who can come up with a beautiful name for this beautiful set? Any suggestions?

Sifu Piti holds the honor of having renamed the 12 hands of Sinew Metamorphosis with beautiful poetic names. Who will claim such glory for the 24 pattern Yang set?

Comment

Jade Dragon Grasping Sparrow

Ever Victorious Simple Sequence

Grasping Sparrow with Hands like clouds

lol
          this is fun
          from the Heart...

Comment

I like how some sets are named for their characteristic pattern. I'd have picked "Cloud Hands" for the 'traveling' Cloud Hands sequence in the set but that one's already taken. Maybe:
            "Immortal Waves Sleeves"
            "Lifting Water"

Maybe a name that tries to get across how all encompassing and comprehensive the set is. Perhaps:
            "Return to Origin"
            "Essence of Taijiquan"
            "Immortal Dragon Seeks Elixir" (this one's a little fanciful and a mouthful; Wahnam Taijiquan has much of the Dragon, elixir can refer to chi, jing, immortality...eh, maybe too esoteric).
            "Solid Mountains Floating Clouds" (another fanciful one referring to Yin-Yang harmony and avoiding the weakness of double yang)

Y'know, maybe I should stop before I have my whole leg in my mouth.
            I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Thank you Christina Sifu for starting the fun!

I love "Ever Victorious Simple Sequence". It inspires a heart of confidence in our combat skills.

Brother Frederick!

Thank you for your suggestions. "Immortal Dragon Seeks Elixir" is very poetic.

Here are a few of my suggestions:

Scholar rides Dragon back to Mountain
              (a node to Robin Sifu's famous "Tai Chi Chuan is for smart people" quote)

The Wahnam Flowing Water set

Lets keep the fun going with more suggestions...

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Nice thread and I love the suggested names .

Originally posted by Frederick_Chu View Post
                I like how some sets are named for their characteristic pattern.
                I would say a characteristic of our version is, that it includes all the 13 Techniques of Tai Chi Chuan: The eight hand movements (peng - ward off, lu - roll back, qi - pressing, an - pushing, lie -spreading, cai-taking, zhou-elbowing, kao-leaning) and the five leg movements ( jin-move forward, tui-move back, ku-move to left, pan - move to right, ding-remain at centre).

Some naming ideas...
                • Eight Clouds, Five Steps Set
                • Eight Gates, Five Directions Set
                • Essence of 13 Techniques Set
                • Jade Dragon follows Stream
                • Green Dragon Water Set

Andrea
                Last edited by Andrea; 16 November 2012, 07:06 PM.
                Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

I like most of the suggested names but many of them sounds weird in Chinese. They would sound obviously translated from anther language.
                  I would go with Andrea's suggestion which makes perfect sense in Chinese
                  百德以孝为先
                  Persevere in correct practice

Comment

My suggestion : 8 gates, 5 "elements" expressed in Chinese: 华南八门五行拳
                    百德以孝为先

Comment

Wow! Great idea and great suggestions!

I suggest avoiding "Flowing" and "Water" to prevent confusion with the wonderful "Flowing Water Floating Clouds" set.

I don't know how they sound in Chinese, but here are some of my suggestions:

- “Green dragons shoots 13 pearls” or simply “13 pearls set”
                      - "13 double dragons make 26" ... don’t take this one serious! Too much playing with numbers...

Or in honour to Sifu’s generosity and ingeniousness:
                      - "Bodhisattva completing the circle set" ... might be too Baguazhang-ish
                      - "Bodhisattva returns to Origin set" ... in dependence on Fred’s suggestion
                      - "Bodhisattva returns to the essence set"
                      But those might sound too Buddhistic for a Taoist art, so “Bodhisattva” could also be replaced by “Immortal”.

I’m looking forward to more suggestions.

o\

Leo
                      Last edited by Leo Shaolin; 17 November 2012, 07:26 PM.
                      Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Hello dear Family,

I love your suggestions and it´s great fun to create a name.
                        So after making up my heart and mind, here is my thought:

"Eight Streams Flow Along Five Mountains" - Set

Best regards, Anton.
                        Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                        Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                        http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                        http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                        http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Boom,

I just taught this set to Warrior Project participants in Thailand, it was great fun.

I love this set. I've been practicing it now for 12 years.

Best

Robin
                          "The Power of Tai Chi Chuan. com"

Comment

We have a name!

Thank you for all the suggestions! It has been great fun reading them and seeing other people's ideas. The fun-competition is now closed however as...(cue drumroll)...Sigung has chosen a name!!!!

Sigung very kindly sent me a PM with his chosen name and asked for it to be shared on the forum.

Thank you Sigung!

I am very happy that this wonderful Tai Chi Chuan set - the world's most popular - now has a beautiful and poetic name in Shaolin Wahnam.

Here is Sigung's PM:

I wish to thank Kevin for his post asking for suggestions for a name for our 24-Pattern Simplified Taijiquan Set. The many suggestions put forward are interesting, and it is not easy to choose one.

After much thought I have chosen to call the set

Cloud Hands Grasp Sparrow

It is a slight modification of Christina's Grasping Sparrow with Hands like Clouds

The chosen name contains two important points relevant to the set. "Cloud Hands" reminds us that Taijiquan was evolved from Cloud Hands of Zhang San Feng. "Grasp Sparrow" reminds us of Grasping Sparrow's Tail, which crystallizes the core patterns of Taijiquan.

In Chinese (Cantonese) Cloud Hands Grasp Sparrow is Wan Sau Lam Cheok, which is poetic. Someone, like Wuji, would have to transliterate it into Mandarin pronunciation.

Sifu/Sigung/Sitaigung.

Comment

Hello all

Good thing I checked the forum today. I havent had much time to do so recently.

The Chinese characters for this set are:

云手揽雀

I thought it may be a good idea to add the word Wahnam in front, but that is just a suggestion.

华南云手揽雀

In addition, in Taijiquan tradition since the Yang family publicised Taijiquan, it is not common to add the word "拳" (Fist) after the name of a Taijquan set as is done for Shaolin sets. Even in Chen Style Taijiquan (which the Yang family still officially does not consider Taijquan), the word used is "Routine", not "Fist". But since this is Shaolin Wahnam , I think the set should be called

华南云手揽雀拳
                              Hua2 Nan2 Yun2 Shou3 Lan2 Que4 Quan2

P.S. Typos in my previous post:
                              I like most of the suggested names but many of them sounds weird in Chinese. They would sound obviously translated from another language.
                              百德以孝为先

Comment

Dear Wuji Sifu,

Thank you for your post! Sigung has replied to it and asked me to post it here on his behalf.

Here it is:

华南云手揽雀拳
                                Hua2 Nan2 Yun2 Shou3 Lan2 Que4 Quan2

as suggested by Zhang Wuji is excellent.

In English it should be called

Wahnam Cloud Hands Grasp Sparrow Set

I use the figurative term "Set" instead of the literal term "Fist" as it has been the tradition in our school.

Both the Chinese and the English names of the set are poetic and meaningful, befitting a beautiful and useful Taijiquan set.

Sifu/Sigung/Sitaigung.

Comment

Working...
                                X