Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m going to Hit, Kick, Grip and Throw with my Taiji!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m going to Hit, Kick, Grip and Throw with my Taiji!

Hey guys!

I hope you are all well,

I’ve just posted a nice big juicy series on my blog called

I’m going to Hit, Kick, Grip and Throw with my Taiji!

Here’s a brief outline about what it’s about

Have you ever see a Taijiquan practitioner dodge a kick, swiftly jump forward, strike the would be kicker, capture him in a joint lock all before felling him forcefully to the ground!!!??

It’s fair to assume that you probably haven’t.

If you have seen the above, then you are very lucky and I’d love to hear about the experience (but that’s beside the point )

But if you have trouble even conceptualizing how a Tai Chi Chuan exponent would achieve the above then I think you will like my recent series of posts in the ‘combat efficiency’ section of my blog. There I outline some of the basic striking, kicking, gripping and felling techniques of Wahanm Tai Chi Chuan which could be used to strike, grip and throw a fellow in a most enjoyable manner.

- From www.TaiChiChuanThailand.com
    I hope you enjoy it!!

I was originally go to post it over a month or two, but got side tracked with other priorities so I just posted the whole 14 part series in one go

I hope you enjoy it.

A link to the front page of my blog

http://taichichuanthailand.com/

Link to the I’m going to Hit, Kick, Grip and Throw with my Taiji! Articles

http://taichichuanthailand.com/category/combat/

Below are some pictures of Mark Blohm and I practicing some applications
    for the series
    "The Power of Tai Chi Chuan. com"

Hi Guys,

I've just noticed that the when you view the articles in the Combat Efficiency section you must click on the "Older Entries" at the very bottom of the page to be taken to the section on Chin Na and also the articles conclusion.

All the best

Robin

Comment

Dear Robin Sisook,

Thank you for writing this brilliant article, I really enjoyed reading it. It is amazing how effective and beautiful Tai Chi Chuan is in combat.

I love Fierce Dragon and The Side kick. I really enjoy practicing Fierce Dragon and trying to improve on arriving before the opponent knows what has happened. The Side Kick is such a brilliant surprise and I love applying it. I often find when the Side Kick is applied on me by my opponent I get kicked very easily.

Shaolin Salute,
      Dominic.

Comment

Very beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
          which could be used to strike, grip and throw a fellow in a most enjoyable manner
          Awesome!! I can't wait to start checking out the series!

-Matt

Comment

Dear Sihing,

Thanks for the posts. Very informative

Best,

Andy
            Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
            Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
            Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
            - ancient wisdom

Comment

Robin Sisook!

Very nice!! Hiding secrets in the open, isn´t it so?

Thanks for the enlightening posts!

Anton
              Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
              Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
              http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
              http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
              http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Great articles, thank you Sisook.
                I am sure many Tai Chi Chuan practioners outside of Shaolin Wahnam will be surprised .

Best regards
                Andrea
                Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch
                Google+ :
                https://plus.google.com/+TaiChiChuanQigongWahnamZürich/

Comment

Dear Uncle, is great that you are writing this articles, wonderful job for Tai chi chuan and everybody that reads them!

Comment

Hey Family,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Wahnam Taijiquan is the best Taijiquan in the world in my opinion

But know one is going to know about it and how good it is unless we get broadcasting!

If any other Wahnam Taijiquan instrcutors would like to post something on my blog I would love that too! I'd be happy to post it on there.

It could be anything from pictures to videos to articles!

Let me know guys!

Robin

p.s. What's your favourite application from the ones shown in my latest article? I like this one- Fisherman cast net, and it's not just because Mr. Blohm looks so serene!

Comment

Dear Sisook Robin,

Thank you for your excellent posts which I enjoyed immensely. Paraphrasing your title, I want to hit, kick, grip and throw with my Taiji, and I want to do it well!

The kicking posts were especially interesting. The thrust kick was executed at an angle whereas the Side and White Crane kicks where executed straight on. Under what circumstances would it be to your advantage to use the thrust kick instead of the other two kicks?

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                      p.s. What's your favourite application from the ones shown in my latest article? I like this one- Fisherman cast net, and it's not just because Mr. Blohm looks so serene!
                      My personal favourite are the Chin na attacks. All of our Taijiquan is elegant and graceful but for me, Chin na is more so than the rest. I love the freedom and flow of the Chin na patterns when practicing by myself and I also love that the combat application is more “hidden” in Chin na than in the other modes of attack.

The first time I practied Chin na – Old Eagle Catches Snake - was against my dear brother Peter on Sigung’s “Taijiquan against other martial arts” course last February here in Ireland. I had to practice it on Peter myself a few times before I truly believed that such a graceful movement could be so effective in subduing an aggressive attacker.

In addition the somewhat more compassionate element of Chin na fits better with who I am as a person. I would rather subdue an attacker and reason with him rather than, say, executing a swinging fist and badly breaking a nose. If the attacker was a girl Chi na would be the only option as striking a girl is something I simply could not ever do. (Felling of course could also be used.)

I have never practiced “Throw Water up to Rice Field” Sisook but I very much look forward to learning it someday. It looks amazing…and has a great name too!

Thank you very much Sisook,

All the best,

Kevin
                      Last edited by Kevin_B; 19 December 2011, 07:59 PM. Reason: Better wording

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_B View Post
                        If the attacker was a girl Chi na would be the only option as striking a girl is something I simply could not ever do. (Felling of course could also be used.)
                        And this trait is of course shared by all us gentlemen in Shaolin Wahnam!

Context is everything and I do realise that a situation could arise where striking an opponent - be it a guy or a girl - may, unfortunately, be the only option available to successfully defend yourself or a family member.

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_B View Post

If the attacker was a girl Chi na would be the only option as striking a girl is something I simply could not ever do. (Felling of course could also be used.)
                          Kissing the girl can be a very good response as well

Kind regards, Anton.
                          Last edited by Anton S.; 19 December 2011, 09:10 PM.
                          Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                          Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                          http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                          http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                          http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Hi guys!

Hi Kevin great comments and questions!

The kicking posts were especially interesting. The thrust kick was executed at an angle whereas the Side and White Crane kicks where executed straight on. Under what circumstances would it be to your advantage to use the thrust kick instead of the other two kicks?-Kevin
                            I choose to use the thrust kick at an angle because it creates a much better target for landing the kick if you step ‘off line’ in (my experience). This applies if you use it to initiate an attack or as a counter kick.

Part of the reason for this is that the thrust kick should normally land with the whole foot ‘vertically’ on the target and so needs more space to land. If you stand in front of an opponent and throw the thrust kick with the intention of landing the whole foot on your opponents chest it can be very difficult to get through his/her guard. It’s also quite easy for them to see and counter the kick as the knee is normally raised first.

You can of course alter the thrust kick to land with the forefoot which makes it easier to get through a guard, but I’m not keen on this because it takes away much of the power away from the kick and changes the nature of the kick.

The Side and White Crane kicks are much easier to do ‘head on’ as it were.

The Crane kick goes under the guard and should not really be noticed when executed well and the side kick is done 'sideways on' making it easier go under the guard as well.

I should summarize and clarify by saying that I like the thrust kick to land mid level on the torso (at guard level) ideally right at the sternum or solar plexus, this could just be my preference.
                            My personal favourite are the Chin na attacks.-Kevin
                            Thank you very much for sharing that. I too like Chin Na a lot. I think it is the area in which I have the most to learn, and in this regard would love to see a Taijiquan Chin Na course. Wouldn’t that be excellent?

Aside from that I also love ‘old eagle catches snake ‘, it’s a lovely pattern and one to be very careful with in practice for your partners sake.

I remember it was a pattern similar to this that Sifu first really subdued me with on the first Taijiquan course I did with him, my face was planted in the floor and there was nothing I could do about it. I thought “Wow” I’ve never felt this in a Taijiquan class before!

I’m Looking forward to hearing some more.

All the best

p.s. Anton, 'somtimes' kissing a girl can stimulate further attacks

Comment

I have to agree with Chin Na movements as my favourites in Wahnam Taijiquan, too!

The first time Robin Siheng showed me the powerful and subtle application of the gentle, inwards spiraling movement of the left hand in "Carry Tiger Back to the Mountain" I was amazed - the arm/elbw lock is superb!

Yes - A Taijiquan Chin Na course would be fantastic!

Your brother,

Piti

Comment

Working...
                              X