Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicking sounds?

Dear Family,

Please forgive me if I am incorrect in saying this but, as I understand it, we do not make any sounds while excuting kicks in Taijiquan.

Why do we make sounds when excuting the various hand strikes but make no sound when excuting kicks? Are there some occasions when we do make sounds when excuting kicks?

Is it similar in Shaolin Kung Fu?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes to all,

Kevin

Dear Kevin

I'm not sure if I'm retelling this correctly either, but as far as I know, there are times where there is a sound whilst kicking. I've seen a few videos of Sigung doing so. Seeing as the arms are a place where some of our main meridians lie, it is (to me as a beginner) obvious that we mainly practice fa-jing with handforms, at first at least..? Due to "less intense" (I can't figure out the right word...) meridians, it is also harder to achieve a breakthrough in chiflow through the legs, which is where my comparison strongly comes from.

There's not much I can say (no personal experience), but what I guess is: Wherever or whenever there's enough chi to be exploded, then explode !
    Not a very profound statment/answer from my part, I know ;D!

This question really makes me curious as well. I hope that some of our seniors will be kind enough to (more satisfyingly) answer this one =D!

Shaolin greetings

Fabienne

Comment

This is an excellent question ...... for the less senior students to ponder and make educated guesses at. We'll see what you come up with before giving definitive answers --- or are there any ?
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: May 2019 in Landquart CH
      QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

Dear Sisook Andrew and Simui Fabienne,

Thank you both for your replies. Excellent idea Sisook! There is no fun quite like forum fun!!!

Righty!

I’m going to put my thinking cap on over the weekend and post my own thoughts here on Sunday.
        (Oh, and I’m also going to learn how to spell "excuting" correctly too…)

Best wishes,

Kevin

Comment

I know back when I did a lot of Muay Thai that I would often make a "Haa!" sound from my abdominal while executing kicks, it just sort of came instinctively, no one ever taught me the sound or anything..
          Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Could it be that we make no sound when executing kicks because we do not use fa-jing when kicking? And could it be that we do not use fa-jing when kicking because one of our feet is off the ground?

Perhaps?
            Maybe?

Comment

Dear Family,

Lets bubble this thread back to the top and re-ask the question:

Why do we make sounds when executing the various hand strikes in Taijiquan but make no sound when executing kicks?

Now surely at least one of my Taijiquan brothers or sisters can manage an educated guess at this question before Sisook Andrew, or one of my others seniors, kindly reveal all!

Best wishes,

Kevin

Comment

When kicking, maybe the force is naturally more consolidated in the legs (because of stance training), and making sounds is not required to manifest the force?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_B View Post
                  Now surely at least one of my Taijiquan brothers or sisters can manage an educated guess at this question before Sisook Andrew, or one of my others seniors, kindly reveal all!
                  I'm sure you mean in terms of information and not clothing
                  Sifu Andrew Barnett
                  Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                  Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                  Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: May 2019 in Landquart CH
                  QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

Hello Kevin,

Here is the link to a video of Sifu performing the Wahnam Taijiquan Set, Flowing Water Floating Clouds. The sound is not quite in sync with the moving image, but I suggest that you watch and listen to the video carefully, and report back to us

Best regards,
                    Jeffrey Segal

Comment

Dear Sisook Jeffery,

Thank you for directing me to Sigung’s mesmerising performance of Flowing Water Floating Clouds. Having now watched it let me state very clearly here on the forum:

Sounds are made when executing certain kicks in Wahnam Taijiquan!

I was wrong to suggest otherwise and for this I am sorry. Simui Fabienne was correct in her post above.

I have recently completed Level 4 of our beautiful Taijiquan. My understanding on what I have learned is that we do not make sounds when executing the various kicks in any of these four levels. So, it would appear that while we make sounds with the various hand strikes from the beginning, we only make sounds when executing certain kicks when we have progressed to a more advanced stage, a stage that I am not yet at. How very interesting!

If I am correct in saying this then let me ask: Why is this so? Why are hand strikes and kicks treated differently as regards making sounds?

Is there a certain level where kicking sounds are introduced?

Is it the same for Shaolin Kung Fu?

Invoking the spirit of Sisook Andrew's original post on this thread perhaps my brothers and sisters might join me in discussing these questions before Sisook, or one of my others seniors, may kindly reveal the answers?

I'll post here again in a few days with my own thoughts on these questions.

All best wishes,

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                      X