Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combat Sequence 10 and Single Whip

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Combat Sequence 10 and Single Whip

    Hello, family!

    I'm having slight difficulties with Single Whip Saves The Emperor in Combat Sequence 10 (White Horse Presents Hoof).

    The problem is that often I find myself in a position where it's difficult to hit the opponent's ankle with my knuckles, and I only manage to hit the opponent's foot with my forearm. Combined with bad timing, the opponent may effectively be able to kick my forearm.

    I guess it'd be possible to avert this by stepping slightly sideways instead of directly backwards, but I'm not sure if that's advisable, there could be some disadvantages that I'm not aware of. (Or perhaps I'd only be taking the easy way out, instead of concentrating on the root of the problem.)

    I'd be grateful for any advice, especially from any of the instructors. I'm sure I'm not alone with this problem, so does anyone have similar experiences?

  • #2
    The problem is that often I find myself in a position where it's difficult to hit the opponent's ankle with my knuckles, and I only manage to hit the opponent's foot with my forearm. Combined with bad timing, the opponent may effectively be able to kick my forearm.
    I guess your timing is not good. Maybe you move from your left false leg to late into your right Bow-Arrow? If you timing is good enough you may be able to swift into the right Bow-Arrow and you don't even have to use your arm to move away from the kicking momentum. .

    When changing from you left fealse leg stance just be aware, that you use your back legs (right leg) heel as a pivot. So, you automatically swift your body slighly away sideways (still linear) from to incoming force of the opponents front kick.

    Last but not least: remeber that your Single whip arm is alive, so don't move into your opponents strong point, come from the side.

    Hpe that makes sense

    Enjoy
    "From formless to form, from form to formless"

    26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
    Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

    Website: www.enerqi.ch

    Comment


    • #3
      Amazing. Thank you, Sihing!

      It just tried this in solo, and the heel thing really seemed to do the trick. Seriously, just a small adjustment (or an 'emphasis') in the footwork, and it made all the difference in the world!

      Originally posted by Luo Lang View Post
      I guess your timing is not good. Maybe you move from your left false leg to late into your right Bow-Arrow? If you timing is good enough you may be able to swift into the right Bow-Arrow and you don't even have to use your arm to move away from the kicking momentum.
      Yes, I know what you mean. My timing is not always good here - need more practise.

      Originally posted by Luo Lang
      When changing from you left fealse leg stance just be aware, that you use your back legs (right leg) heel as a pivot. So, you automatically swift your body slighly away sideways (still linear) from to incoming force of the opponents front kick.
      Again, this is amazing. Yet another example of the importance of stances and footwork! Subtle, effective and efficient - or should I say simple, direct and effective?

      Originally posted by Luo Lang
      Last but not least: remeber that your Single whip arm is alive, so don't move into your opponents strong point, come from the side.
      You're absolutely right, of course. Perhaps I've been unnecessarily banging myself against the wall, here. Well, I sometimes do that in chi flow, but that's a different story.

      Originally posted by Luo Lang
      Hpe that makes sense
      It does, perfectly. Thanks again!

      Best Regards,
      Tapio

      Comment


      • #4
        Hello Tapio Siheng and family,
        I was so pleased to read your thread since I had been having similar difficulties with sequence 10 awhile back. Roland Siheng's advice is spot on and the same advice I'd gotten from my practice partner. Pivoting on your back heel really makes all the difference between having a truly flowing single whip or just whacking clumsily at your opponent's leg. Up until I started to pivot on that heel, I was quite frustrated as what seemed to be such a lovely technique in solo practice came off quite poorly when practicing with a partner. But now it's all coming together .
        I just wanted to point out one thing here. Hopefully you can learn from my past mistakes.

        Originally posted by Tapio Raevaara View Post
        I guess it'd be possible to avert this by stepping slightly sideways instead of directly backwards, but I'm not sure if that's advisable, there could be some disadvantages that I'm not aware of. (Or perhaps I'd only be taking the easy way out, instead of concentrating on the root of the problem.)
        Since I'd been doing my single whip improperly before, I was also getting kicked in the forearm. As such, I'd developed a bad instinctual habit of stepping sideways to avoid getting kicked. Guess what? I still got kicked. In fact, my partner got past my forearm and kicked me in the stomach. Of course, our combat sequences are what they are for a reason. If you step sideways, you're opening yourself for a boot to the guts. The only way to avoid the kick is the same way we can avoid all attacks- just step back and get out of the way. And I suppose now that you're pivoting so well you don't need to worry about stepping sideways!
        Best,
        Molly
        有志著事竟成

        Shaolin Wahnam Twin Cities

        Genuine Shaolin Kungfu and Qigong in Minnesota
        https://www.shaolinwahnamtc.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Dear Tapio

          Another point to remember is that you can swallow back in your bow and arrow stance in order to get the spacing correct.

          This is actually a very important point that if our spacing is wrong for defending kicks we can retreat further by swallowing, further still by going into false leg and further still by retreating from false to bow.

          All the best

          Comment


          • #6
            For those getting kicked in the forearm -- what are you aiming at with your knuckles? If you're only aiming at the ankle, then this could be the problem. Depending on your distancing, the length of your arm, and the length of your opponent's leg, you may not be able to strike the ankle. Strike the inside of the shin instead.
            Sifu Anthony Korahais
            www.FlowingZen.com
            (Click here to learn more about me.)

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you, everyone! I really, really appreciate you taking time to address this issue. (Of course, it's not just for me, but for all of us with similar problems.)

              Dear Molly,
              I was also very pleased to read your post. It's comforting to know there are others with similar problems, although I really don't wish any problems to anyone. And you pretty much nailed what I had in mind, especially after trying out Roland Sihing's solution. I'll keep in mind not to present you with any hooves, if we ever meet and get to spar.

              Dear Jonny Sihing,
              Thank you for your reply. That's an excellent point, I believe I know what you mean. Perhaps, for example, it would be a good idea in some situations (I'm not making a habit out of it) to sink further into a horseriding stance from the righ bow-arrow stance?

              Dear Anthony Sihing,
              My sincere thanks. After poking my shin with my index finger, I can definitely see the potential here. I'll keep this in mind in my next deadly duel with Markus Sihing.

              Again, big thanks to everyone. This is some family!

              Comment


              • #8
                After poking my shin with my index finger, I can definitely see the potential here.
                Oh definitely, especially once you've got some force. I've had my entire leg numbed from a Single Whip to the shin. I could hardly walk for 10 minutes!
                Sifu Anthony Korahais
                www.FlowingZen.com
                (Click here to learn more about me.)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks Tapio for starting this thread, and thanks everyone for answering. After reading I will be able to correct a mistake that I have been making in this sequence.


                  With Shaolin Salute,
                  Charles David Chalmers
                  Brunei Darussalam

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Antonius:
                    For those getting kicked in the forearm -- what are you aiming at with your knuckles? If you're only aiming at the ankle, then this could be the problem. Depending on your distancing, the length of your arm, and the length of your opponent's leg, you may not be able to strike the ankle. Strike the inside of the shin instead.
                    Wow. Tapio, So much generous advice and secrets you get from direct experience! Thank you for asking. I hope many students will follow your example!
                    Anthony: With good spacing I have found out that with this secret you can manage to hit the side of the knee of your opponent. This is Monkey Style Whip
                    Sorry couldn't resist
                    "From formless to form, from form to formless"

                    26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                    Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

                    Website: www.enerqi.ch

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dear Tapio (and all),

                      It sounds like you've already gotten the advice you needed, but I've one additional thought that may help others. I remember when Molly was working on this sequence and technique there was one more point that helped. Even once she'd started pivoting on the heel, sometimes the spacing still wasn't right. The problem was not actually with the Single Whip technique, but with the Single Tigers leading up to it. The problem: too much focus on dealing with the incoming punches caused her to let the tiger out of the cave too soon, thus restricting her footwork (I noticed this because I had the same problem before). The solution: once all the techniques were basically correct, focusing on good, agile footwork/stancework and allowing the body and techniques flow from that. The result: better techniques and spacing and a more relaxed and enjoyable practice. Of course, as Jonny pointed out, even if the spacing is off, we can fix that by swallowing or by using a false leg or cat stance and then stepping the left leg back to bow stance.

                      Happy practice to all,
                      Josh

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Antonius View Post
                        Oh definitely, especially once you've got some force. I've had my entire leg numbed from a Single Whip to the shin. I could hardly walk for 10 minutes!
                        Sounds like a great experience! Lucky you.

                        Dear Sihing Charles,
                        I'm extremely happy to hear that I've actually managed to start a useful thread!

                        Dear Josh,
                        Yes, I already got the advice I needed, but that doesn't mean I couldn't use any more advice. You make an excellent point about the Single Tiger leading to the Single Whip, one that's actually applicable to almost any situation!

                        Best Regards,
                        Tapio

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          the secret

                          Hello all,

                          in my point of view you can only come to good results with any technique

                          practice, practice.... say 10000 times and a technique will change to a skill.

                          Sounds familiar right....
                          May all beings be happy

                          Kai
                          ______________
                          Shaolin Wahnam Germany
                          www.shaolin-wahnam.de
                          www.Cosmos-Chikung.de
                          www.Anicca-Praxis.de

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jonny Say View Post
                            Dear Tapio

                            Another point to remember is that you can swallow back in your bow and arrow stance in order to get the spacing correct.

                            This is actually a very important point that if our spacing is wrong for defending kicks we can retreat further by swallowing, further still by going into false leg and further still by retreating from false to bow.

                            All the best
                            Swallowing? You must be a Dragon, my Dragon-Brother, Hehe

                            What we have learnt again (and will hear again and again)? STANCES AND FOOTWORK. Yes, it’s always the basics. So pay attention to your basics and train them over and over, even if you are still an advanced practitioner!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ronny View Post
                              Swallowing? You must be a Dragon, my Dragon-Brother, Hehe
                              You spotted me a mile away! Hope you are well my swiss Dragon brother!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X