Hand position - thumb cannot bend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand position - thumb cannot bend!

I am having a problem with the hand position used in Golden Bridge and One Hand Shooting Zen and so forth (sorry, I can't recall the name). It seems my left hand can perform it perfectly, but my right hand struggles. My index finger and thumb seem to be connected. If one is bent, they are both bent. If one is straight, they are both straight. In no way can I have my thumb bent while my index finger straight. I can use my other hand to manually bend my thumb down, but it just snaps back straight again.

Is this a problem for stances or forms which utilize this hand position? Has anyone else suffered from this and found a way to fix it?

Thanks a lot.

Perform the hand forms as best you can. The hand forms are important, of course. If they weren't, they wouldn't exist. But they alone are not enough. If every part of your practice is correct bar the one thumb, you have little to be concerned about.

Have you learnt from Shaolin Wahnam Instructor? Have you learnt from Sifu Wong? If so, please let us (or me via PM) know what you have learnt and from whom. It will make selection of remedial exercises easier. This, of course, assuming you have no possibility to contact your own Sifu (if you have one).

Andrew
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Unfortunately, to the present I've had no real formal training due to a lack of funds. I simply cannot get the money together for sustained training. I took a few lessons from a local Wing Chun Kwoon to learn proper form for horse stance and so forth, but had to give it up for financial reasons after not too long. I've tried to do the best I can from online and book (from a library) sources in the meantime. Hopefully I will be able to organize some better training in the not too distant future, but this is the best I can do so far.

From a more technical viewpoint - what is the reasoning behind hand forms? I presume it is related to the meridians and such, but does anyone have a specific answer?

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
      X