No announcement yet.

Homework - 4 Gates (due 30 March 2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homework - 4 Gates (due 30 March 2021)

We have a wonderful set in our basic Kung Fu syllabus called "Crossroads at Four Gates". What are the four gates, how are they accessed and when do they become relevant in our Kung Fu Training?

by Sifu Andrew Barnett
    May all beings be happy!

Shaolin Four Gates trains bridges and stances
    Secrets are found in Flowers in the Sleeves
    Block the Boss and Carry Insignia with punches
    Phoenix Flaps Wings to rustle leaves
    To Hit the Gong in unexpected slanting motion
    To Seek the Organ show the shadow hand
    The marvel of Catching Tigers in the Mountains
    Only from the master can students understand

https://shaolin.org/shaolin/four-gates.html
    May all beings be happy!

Comment

Four gates, like the pakua (in shaolin pakua) is simply referring to the four and eight directions respectively the set's footwork moves in, is it not? So one could say Four gates is simply moving linearly and turning to practice the sequences stances and bridges in four directions which is relevant from the first day we begin our footwork training.
      Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

I don't want to give too much away this early, so I will instead give some hints.

1. There are quite a number of resources on shaolin.org regarding Crossroads at Four Gates, including articles and videos from multiple Crossroads at Four Gates courses over the years. It is also featured in "The Complete Book of Shaolin". For those of you who don't know this already, you can either use the search box on the homepage of shaolin.org, or, in pretty much any search engine, if you type, for example: "site:shaolin.org four gates", the search results will only include webpages from shaolin.org.

2. I encourage you to participate even if you haven't learned Crossroads at Four Gates yet. In doing this "homework", worst case, you say something "incorrect" and learn something new that improves your philosophical understanding of kung fu, and best case, your research leads you to learn something that improves your philosophical understanding of kung fu. In other words, the only way to ensure you don't improve your philosophical understanding of kung fu is to not participate and not read the thread

For reference, here is a video of Sifu doing the set:

and here is the most recently recorded version of the two-man application set:

I look forward to some interesting answers!
        Chris Didyk
        Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

.... and remember that the question is about "4 Gates" and not necessarily (or exclusively) about "Crossroads at 4 Gates"
          Sifu Andrew Barnett
          Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
          Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
          Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
            .... and remember that the question is about "4 Gates" and not necessarily (or exclusively) about "Crossroads at 4 Gates"
            This is good to know, as the original question is focused on Crossroads. I'll reformulate my answer.
            Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Originally posted by David Langford View Post
              This is good to know, as the original question is focused on Crossroads.
              The joys of perspective

I read the original question to be using "Crossroads" as an example rather than focus. As I say, perspective

Sifu Andrew Barnett
              Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
              Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
              Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

I find the 4 Gates Set great for generating internal force, consolidating, explosive and Dragon force. A set you should have in your treasure chest.

Comment

Working...
                X