X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan 2021 Personal Progress

Happy New Year, everyone!

Continuing from the Dec 2020 Personal Progress thread:

* What progress have you noticed since December?
    * Have your objectives changed or remained the same?
    * What are your goals for January? Do you have any special goals for 2021?
    * What/how do you like to practice now?
    Chris Didyk
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Many happy returns Chris Siheng, greetings everyone.

As off yesterday I've started practising the first sequence of the 12 Tai chi chuan sequences.
    My goal is to know the sequences really well that I don't even have to think about what sequence is next
    This is something I want to spend a lot of time on this year, good form, flow, force.
    Back to basics essentially and to really enjoy the process.

Happy training everyone,

Shaolin Salute,
    Brendan

Comment

Dear Sisookgung, dear family,

we are so lucky to practise genuine Shaolin Arts! Let us continue to share our experiences for our benefit and for the benefit of others.

I myself found reading the past threads on Personal Progress as well as the answers in

​​​very useful.

For this month, many of my aims and objectives have remained the same. I have noticed improvements in form, flow and force of my Dragon Strength Set which translate beautifully to other Kung Fu aspects as well as daily life. It feels like my whole being is getting smoother, happier and more playful. This in turn enables me to not only enjoy life more but, even more importantly, to be more of genuine help for others.

As for specific training methods apart from set practice, I have picked up The Art of Flexibility and footwork again. Interestingly, while I used to dread these things in the past, I now find them a great pleasure, especially after sitting a lot at work.

For combat application, I make the best use of the methods shared by Chris Sisookgung in the thread linked above. While seemingly simple, the procedures described are marvellous and make my Kung Fu more alive. A leap forward for me, so thank you very much for sharing, dear Sisookgung !

What are your experiences, dear family members?

Wishing all of you wonderful success in all your good endeavours!

Smilingly,
      Steffen

Our beloved Grandmaster has made it very simple for us:

Don‘t worry,
      don‘t intellectualize,
      just enjoy your practice.

May all beings be released from all suffering!

Comment

Hi Brendan, I am also working on solidifying the 12 basic Taijiquan sequences to the point where I don't have to think about what comes next. Are there any particular ways you are finding useful to go about it or are you just doing lots of good, old-fashioned repetitions?

Hi Steffen, I am glad that you have found my description of imaginary partner training useful! I used to worry that striking down my imaginary partner might cause me to develop some negative traits, such as lack of compassion. Now I realize I was being too serious about it, and my worries were unwarranted. Just like when we train with a live partner, we can use gradual progress to ramp up the realism while still having fun.

Dear family,

I have just returned to sunny Florida from a nice two-week snow trip in Colorado with my family (where Christina, our boys, and I tried skiing for the first time and had quite a bit of fun)! While I was there, my practice was more about maintenance rather than pushing forward on my objectives. I mostly practiced Chi Kung, Small Universe, some flowing force training (mainly Cloud Hands and Grasping Sparrow's Tail) and some Wudang Three Harmony set, with my practice sessions ranging from 5 to 15 minutes a day with a couple of days off. Unless you also count some good Zen and relaxation/staying at dan tian training while skiing!

I have come to learn that different people have different relationships with their objectives. For some people who tend to be undisciplined, it can be important to stick to their training routine as best they can no matter what. For others who tend to be overly disciplined, it can be important to allow themselves to take breaks from their training routine when there are special opportunities to enjoy life that they would otherwise miss. (I don't mean to sound so absolute about it...as individuals, our level of discipline is often fluid.) The balance lies somewhere in the middle, where we enrich our daily lives through regular practice of the Shaolin Arts without becoming slaves to them. What that balance looks like depends on the individual, what (and how high level) he/she is practicing, and what else is going on in his/her life. These factors are themselves fluid, so at least for me, that means treating my objectives as a series of "kung fu experiments" until I find a balance between what I would like to do, what I can actually do consistently over time, and what benefits I am getting. At least, this is my current understanding.

I have some questions regarding these monthly progress threads for both those participating and those not:

1. Is monthly too frequent? I naturally tend to set quarterly (3-month) objectives, but I don't know how widespread this preference is.
        2. Do you have any ideas to make them more interesting/useful?
        3. For those lurking but not yet participating, what is stopping you? (Feel free to PM me if you prefer)

For my part, I feel more connected to our Shaolin Wahnam family through these threads, and I get excited reading about what others are choosing to practice, the progress they are making, and the lessons they are learning along the way. I also enjoy reading about different ways people develop to practice their material and achieve their objectives.

Chris Didyk
        Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Dear Chris Siheng and family,

My practise of the twelve Taijiquan sequences at this moment in time is yes, repetitions with form, flow
          and I haven't added the force into it yet. I am also at the fifth sequence white crane flaps wings.

I've also started practising the five elemental continuous fists from Xingyiquan and am currently at
          golden axe strikes mountain in sequence two.

In the coming weeks I am going to add the art of flexibility slowly also.

Personally speaking Chris Siheng I like the monthly updates.
          It would be great to hear what others think about them?

Thanks again for starting this thread and I am glad to hear you had a great holiday
          especially with all that is going on in the world at the moment.

Skiing is something I've been wanting to try for some time.
          Definitely one for the bucket list

Happy training

Shaolin Salute,
          Brendan

Comment

Working...
          X