Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sifu's May 2020 comments about One Finger Shooting Zen

Dear family,

In Sifu's answer to question #6 in the May 2020 Q&A Part 1, he said the following:

It is actually not the number of repetitions, but how you train internal force for each repetition. A person may perform 10 repetitions of either One-finger Shooting Zen or Fierce Tiger Cleanses Claw leisurely, but he may be tired after 3 repetitions of intense training of either art.
    and

You can gradually increase the number of repetitions of training One-Finger Shooting Zen or Fierce Tiger Cleanses Claw. If you can perform 5 repetitions intensely you are good, and be able to apply Dim Mark or Tiger Claw. If you can perform 10 repetitions intensely, you will become a rare master.
    Reading his answer has had a huge positive impact on the way I train One Finger Shooting Zen. But before I describe the changes and benefits I've noticed, I would like to ask:

Did reading Sifu's answer affect how you train One Finger Shooting Zen? If so, how? More generally, how has your practice of One Finger Shooting Zen changed over time?

Also, a big Thank You to Steffen for asking the questions that prompted Sifu's answer!
    Chris Didyk
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

I had often wandered how Masters advanced if not by adding more repetitions. For myself, I could never do many repetitions of for instance One Finger Shooting Zen, as I would notice mind would get bored and lose focus after many repetitions. I always thought that was my own inability of some sort, it was a relief when Sifu told me it was not the number of repetition but depth of your state of mind that counted

Gratitude to Sifu for all his teachings .

Best wishes,

Roeland Dijkema
    www.shaolinwahnam.nl
    www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Dear Sisookgung,

thank you for bringing up this topic! I remember receiving this marvellous answer from Sitaigung during the first months of our daughter's life.

Training One Finger Shooting Zen as described has been an interesting experience for me so far. I have noticed improvements in every area of my Kung Fu and daily life. Most notably, I am fascinated by the versatility of the force developed.

In Kung Fu context, both my soft Tai Chi Chuan and the harder styles like the tiger have become more powerful, reflecting the development of flowing and consolidating force in One Finger Shooting Zen. As I do not have a regular training partner, I cannot attest to any changes in combat application that might or might not have happened.

From the health perspective, I have noticed some emotional cleansing, particularly in the kidney area. The benefits in daily life include being more confident and less distracted by fear and anxiety.

Despite being exposed to a lack of sleep due to our small child, I have also noticed an increase in energy levels throughout the day and in the evening.

The biggest impact, however, has been of a spiritual nature. I find it much easier to smile from the heart, even in challenging situations. The benefits of this are enormous, especially in the context of my work as a doctor and the responsibility as a father.

All in all, I have received a glimpse why One Finger Shooting Zen is considered a treasure of our school. I am grateful for having learned it, being part of our lineage and enjoying this wonderful life.

Thank you Sifu, thank you Sigung, thank you Sitaigung and thank you all past masters.

From the heart,
      Steffen
      May all beings be happy

Thank you.

Comment

Dear Chris,

Did reading Sifu's answer affect how you train One Finger Shooting Zen? If so, how?

Yes, a lot. During our Intensive Shaolin Kung Fu Course Sifu taught Paz and me to perform OFSZ “three times three” 3 series of 3 repetitions each using intense force. 3 Series of 3 repetitions each serie for right hand and 3 series of 3 repetitios each serie for left hand. After reading Sifu´s answer the principle behind became very clear and with this new awareness i feel my OFSZ practice became more focused, consistent and clear at the same time and results come faster and deeper in every session.

More generally, how has your practice of One Finger Shooting Zen changed over time?

Because i practice OFSZ daily and i have learned OFSZ from Sifu in different courses and with different approaches and levels of transmissions i have experienced a lot of different insights, effects and benefits from my practice.

Last few years i enjoy more practicing OFSZ using flowing dragon force for peak performance and spiritual cultivation.

Steffen questions are always very interesting and i have benefited a lot by reading Sifu´s answers to them. Thank you brother for all your contributions, it´s always a joy to read your questions, hear your experiences and to share in Sifu´s courses.

Looking forward to know about the changes and benefits you have noticed Chris!

Always grateful for Sifu´s Teachings,

Best regards,

Ángel

Comment

Hello All,
          I suppose it all depends on the heart . I for myself feel it in my heart to work up to those kind of things. I am the kind of person as my Sifu, who previously commented could attest, likes to do the more intensive ways of training force. I previously worked up to 300 pushing mountains and stayed there for a few months with 9 forceful big windmill and small universe and OFSZ and doing some spiritual big universe and all sorts of things. George Borisov could tell you about how during that time i would drink coca cola to try and not float off into space haha. I have become down to earth since that and just focus on sitting in horse riding for as long as i can hoping to work through leg blockages and make it to an hour. It just feels like something i want to personally do. I told Taisipak about it and he said an hour is not even necessary but 40-45 minutes is enough. But my heart still says you need to get to an hour everyday . I also find that if i force trying to sit longer i feel less force enter from the cosmos, while if i sit naturally for however long my body wants and then a bit more i am way more effective in gathering energy. In the evening i do 3-5 ofsz for fun and the benefits are awesome and i could definitely see myself working up to 10 in the future. What my Sifu (Roeland Dijkema) commented on earlier feels right to me as it is a per person per your heart sort of thing. What you want to put into the art is what you will get out of it. And it is something Taisipak in Frankfurt told me about as well, thinking about all if the famous Masters who reached a crazy high level in Kung fu they were 1 in a million even at the Shaolin temple. I notice some people in Wahnam also leaving perhaps because they feel they did not attain what they wanted. Probably none of us would get that level anyways, but the idea for myself i found is going beyond the limits for myself which i always thought were impossible. I find Wahnam is best for this, rather than having Ego attainments to show off we each have our personal attainments that we can be proud of in our daily lives. Wahnam is very beautiful for having this kind of thinking
          So what I found is listening to the heart with these kind of things is how we become our version of the best practitioner. Having a specialization is quite helpful for this sort of thing I suppose . This is one of the nicest things my Sifu and Sigung taught me, letting nature take care of it while smiling from the heart

Many thanks for the thread Sisook and the comments from others

Comment

Thanks for all of the insightful comments! I am learning even more from them. I'm glad to hear that you are all getting such wonderful benefits, too.

My experience is similar to Steffen's. (Congratulations again on your daughter!) Before reading Sifu's comments, I had been practicing One Finger Shooting Zen with an emphasis on relaxation/no physical tension. If I felt force start to consolidate in my arm/hand/finger, I relaxed more to let it go. The result was that I generated a fair amount of flowing force, but not much consolidated force, and not as much flowing force as is produced using the Flow Method.

I practiced this way partly because I was teaching my students this method (since some were using too much physical tension) and like to "test-drive" my instructions. It didn't occur to me that another reason I practiced this way was because of an "imprint" of an old habit. I used to suffer from Try Hard syndrome. That's the one where you are so serious about doing something correctly and you want the result so badly that you try too hard and block yourself from fully receiving it.

When I first practiced One Finger Shooting Zen, my Try Hard syndrome manifested in chasing after internal force. I had difficulty distinguishing between internal force and physical tension, so I frequently backed off and erred on the side of relaxation whenever I was in doubt.

After I read Sifu's answer, I realized that I was neglecting the consolidated force aspect of One Finger Shooting Zen. I "remembered" that I can now quite easily distinguish between internal force and physical tension, so there is no need to dial back the internal force when it fills up my arm/hand/finger in One Finger Shooting Zen.

When I began practicing One Finger Shooting Zen fully embracing both flowing and consolidated force, my repetitions of One Finger Shooting Zen slowed down considerably. I felt noticeably stronger with brighter shen after my practice. Both my One Finger Shooting Zen and my Tiger Claw felt much more alive. This effect has increased over time. I was exploring some applications with my imaginary partner recently and at one point I executed Old Eagle Catches Snake and had to stop and just look at my hands in surprise. Even though my only intention was to apply the pattern, my tiger claws were full of force. I don't know how much force would have gone in if I was applying the pattern on a real person, but it felt like a substantial amount. I never felt that in the past unless I was explicitly setting the intention to send force in through my tiger claws. Even then, because I was usually trying too hard, my tiger claws didn't feel as full.

There has been a similar effect on my mind/shen. I find that the consolidated force aspect is allowing me to focus more powerfully on whatever I choose to focus on. Again, where in the past I might have backed off in case it was tension rather than force, now it's clear. I can just enjoy using stronger focus if I choose to.

PS Miguel, you touched on something in your post that I have been thinking about recently, but I'll leave it for a separate post.
            Chris Didyk
            Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Working...
            X