X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kung Fu training during the Pandemic

Dear everyone,

I assume you are all healthy and happy!
    Would you like to share how your Kung Fu Training has changed during the Pandemic? Or did it change at all?

With best regards,
    Anton
    Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
    Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
    http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
    http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
    http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Great and very topical question, Anton.

I will be interested to hear what others have to say, but my personal training hasn't really changed much at all. The only big difference is that my class had to close (re-opening next Monday), which meant it was 100% solo (unless my imaginary partner decided to turn up )
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: May 2019 in Landquart CH
    QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

Hi Anton,

Mine hasn't really changed at all.
      Although for a while the air quality in the city was so much better due to lack of pollution that I was enjoying breathing alot more both outside and inside of practice

regards,
      Jordan

Comment

I've been carrying on with my practice as usual, and enjoying its benefits and results

With Shaolin Salute,
        Lee Wei Joo
        http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

My practice has improved much during this period. I actually feel much more balanced than before the Pandemic.

I have added more emphasis on leg exercises and hips during these past 2 months.

With Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Dear Sifu, dear family,

my practise has continued the way it would have without the pandemic as well. However, the Corona virus situation has catalysed an even greater appreciation of and gratefulness for our arts in me. During a world wide health crisis like this, even the most "basic" aim of good health becomes more valuable. It is indeed the greatest gift.

Thank you from the heart,
            Steffen
            May all beings be happy

Thank you.

Comment

I haven't had regular or consistent training partners for quite some time, so my training is more or less the same as it ever was. Force training, combat application, occasionally hitting things to keep up my sense of body awareness (bags, walls, chairs, poles, furniture, etc.), meditation.

I will say that travel restrictions and self quarantine have given me a lot more free time in my apartment compared to previously, which leads to a bunch of mini-sessions throughout my time at home in addition to my dedicated training sessions. It's pretty fun! It's also given me more time to critically examine my repertoire and see what I need to improve and what things I can leave on the back burner.
              I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

With so much free time I've been doing a 100 day foundation solidifying spree, inspired by the warrior project and my experiences in the New York retreat. My goal is to have old school levels of sturdiness, flexibility, agility, stamina, technique body mechanics, and a high standard of meditation. After quarantine is over I'm hoping to begin training with partners if I feel whipped into shape enough.
                Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Kungfu training in pandemic remains the same .....did a short video though ( in between seeing patients ) of our basic KF stances with handforms with sticks added as weights and for fun .

BTW : my KF routine is LTS , Fierce Tiger Cleanses Claws , Short KF Set ( Usually Dragon in Zen and sometimes SanZhan or Tijiao or White Horse Presents Hoof ) , ends with Standing Meditation .

For Dragon in Zen KF Set : in 6 Harmonies against Imaginary Opponent , ie A Giant Roaring Fiery Ferocious 5-Headed Vajra Demon-King ....5 represents five main human evils or weaknesses of Kama ( 5 senses lust ) , Krodha ( anger or wrath ) , Lobha ( greed ) , Moha ( attachment ), Ahankara ( ego or excessive self pride ). Since its my imagination , i always win .....ie aiming to win against the 5 Devils .

So the 3 rd last pattern in the KF set is a black tiger punch where one punches with all might sending the 5 -headed monster into oblivion , followed by 2nd last pattern ( OFZ stabilizes empire ) where 1000 thoughts focus into 1 and ending with Wuji Stance where 1 dissolves into Zero.

So , enjoy your KF practice..... in pandemic or in clinic or in whatever situation unique

Attached sample foto of Imaginary Opponent

Vajra Demon King.jpg

Damian Kissey
                  Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                  www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

...Basic moving KF Stances with Hand Forms added with Sticks
                    Damian Kissey
                    Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                    www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Originally posted by Damian Kissey View Post
                      ...Basic moving KF Stances with Hand Forms added with Sticks

Very slick! Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your training.
                      Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Thanks for sharing the great video and giving us insight into your training, Siheng Damian!

With Shaolin Salute,
                        Lee Wei Joo
                        http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

I love all the answers so far! I especially love the imagery of Siheng Damian using his kung fu to take down a 5-headed demon king! Time to re-think my bland imaginary partners

My own practice has continued to evolve, but I'm not sure how much of it is due to the pandemic. Because we can't do partner work in class, I have spent some time focusing on how to take advantage of the situation to help my students best improve. I frequently use my own practice to refine/confirm what I plan to teach before teaching it. The renewed emphasis on applying the six harmonies throughout kung fu practice has been rewarding and enjoyable.

Most recently, I have been enjoying Sifu's Addition and Subtraction methodology. I have learned Addition/Subtraction/Substitution before, but most of my time practicing the sparring methodology was with the older method using External and Internal Change, and the way I trained it was a bit haphazard. When I went through my period of taking several courses with Sifu every year, learning many selective sets, I developed some skill with Addition/Subtraction/Substitution because I found it easier to use patterns from selective sets by incorporating them into the 16 basic sequences rather than practicing the high-level two man sequences for selective sets.

With Sifu's Addition and Subtraction methodology, I pick a sequence group (#1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16) and practice each step (AA continuation, subtract 1 pattern from second sequence, subtract 1 from the first sequence, etc.) three-ish times on both the initiator and responder sides. The whole process takes me roughly 15 minutes. So far, I have found it surprising how much difficulty I sometimes have flowing through the "sequence" at the last couple of steps of the sparring methodology when I pick a sequence group other than #1-4. I love finding these "hiccups" because they give me something clear I can measurably improve within a practice session. At the same time, I know I am also generally improving the skills needed to keep my kung fu alive and flowing, both in attack and defense. I look forward to emphasizing this in my practice over the next few months.

Otherwise, one of the messages I've taken to heart from the pandemic is that this is a good time to find a slower, simpler way of living. It's a process that I was already going through, but the pandemic has turbo-charged it One of the ways this has affected my practice is that I have made great strides in letting go of feeling like I should be practicing so many different things to some (currently) unrealistic standard. I'm satisfied knowing that if I do a little chi kung, build a little internal force, and train some applications every day (or sometimes, every other day), my progress is more than adequate.

Lastly, my 4- and 6-year-old boys love "sparring" with foam light sabers made out of pool noodles, so I find myself wanting to resume some sabre/staff weapon practice soon!
                          Chris Didyk
                          Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Lastly, my 4- and 6-year-old boys love "sparring" with foam light sabers made out of pool noodles, so I find myself wanting to resume some sabre/staff weapon practice soon!
                            That must be so cool
                            Sifu Andrew Barnett
                            Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                            Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                            Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: May 2019 in Landquart CH
                            QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

It is!

In addition to being a fun way to play together, it is also helping me learn how to better teach them at their level (kung fu, but also in general). My own tendency is to be formal/systematic/procedural, but that doesn't work well with them! So I have to be sneaky. I do things like attack them using the four directions in limited and then gradually more self-choice without them realizing it. Or I show them simple corrections/applications that result more frequently in them defeating me when they use them (the more dramatic and silly the "death", the better).

Also, since the lightsabers come in blue and red and they like being the jedi and making me a sith, I can't resist telling them I am their father while we spar Yes, it's a total dad joke, but they still think it's funny...so far!
                              Chris Didyk
                              Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Working...
                              X