No announcement yet.

I really believe one hour of Horse stance is the foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much my big brother Kai. Zen is whats needed. So happy, to hear this wonderful discussion by my family. I feel privileged.

Comment

Tai Siheng Kai, I wish to add that drilling techniques is one thing, as is hard sparring. But personally my weakness was always the mind and psychological side. Especially in front of a crowd. Stance training/Zen provided me the opportunity to change that. I always had a fear of Ma Bu (poor fitness). Ma Bu has been a boon in that regard.

Sham.
      Last edited by Shamsher; 15th December 2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaijet View Post
        Ma Bu horse stance is one of the secrets of the Shaolin arts. To develop internal force has more the one goal. It can be become a better fighter beside many others. By horse riding alone how you can become a better fighter? Actually you cannot without a proper fighting skill. With the combination of internal force and skilful techniques I am shure you will become one.

Comment

Originally posted by Karol View Post
          If one really decides to go for it, why not start 4 am? Even if you start work at 7 there is still plenty of time to practice. Chi kung gives tons of extra energy, which mean the need of sleep can be reduced.
          I would caution against such a simplistic approach. Forcefully depriving the body of sleep weakens it and then piling an increased amount of energy into it via stance training creates an even bigger imbalance.

Originally posted by Karol View Post
          Chi kung gives tons of extra energy, which mean the need of sleep can be reduced.
          This is not true in my experience. This may be true for others - my point is that people are different.

For me more training usually means more sleep required. The Iron Wire course was an extreme example - I was sleeping almost all the time outside the course hours and eating very little. Perhaps with enough training the sleep quota will go down but it hasn't happened to me anyway. I have asked many people about this including Sifu but the only answer they were willing to give is "don't force it". There was no specific training offered to achieve it.
          George / Юра
          Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Rather than try to chip in on a subject I don't consider myself to be particularly experienced in, let me just tell a story of my personal experience. Take from that what you may.

In 2008, in order to prepare myself for a one day kung fu course with Sifu, among other goals I had at the time, I focused on increasing the time spent in daily Golden Bridge practice.

By about 6 months out from the course, I hit 30 minutes daily, sometimes 40, but usually 30. Let me tell you, if your goal is simply to build internal force, I am not sure if this is the best way to go about it. Yes, it will work. However, it is very time consuming.

Do you know what the result of my 6 months of 30 minutes a day of Golden Bridge gained me? The week before the Abridged Kung Fu course, I attended two days of 18 Lohan Hands courses with Sifu.

The Grand Finale was all 18 as a set, starting with Lifting the Sky and ending with Carrying the Moon. My first real taste of merging with the Cosmos happened during the second rep of Carrying the Moon.

This changed my whole outlook on life, and the qi flow during loosened my legs to such an extent that with the combination of the two, I couldn't even do, or desire to do, 5 minutes of Golden Bridge.

Yeah, I had enough force to attend the next week's course, and spar with others without being left with welts on my arms. Something others attending the course couldn't say.

Looking back, I now know that the 30 minutes was forced. Yes, I was relaxed, but I progressed to 30 minutes far too quickly, and by putting the emphasis on time, rather than quality, I locked up energy in the legs, and probably wasted some of that time.

Comment

You are absolutely right, this kind of training should never be forced. One should not start it either right away, it is necessary to prepare the body and to progress gradually under the care of an experienced instructor.
              In my case practice makes me need less sleep and my statement refers to my own case. It was never forced in any way, it came naturally.
              Indeed, this practice takes time, but I enjoy every minute of my Golden Bridge. One full hour its still bit too much for me, and if I practice that for a longer period of time, it leads to overtraining. 40-45 minutes feels in my case just right and its a great beginning of the day.

Comment

Working...
              X