Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 weeks of sparring

Dear all,

For the next 30 weeks or so I will be sparring with opponents. I started yesterday: my first sparring partner was someone who had some experience in grappling arts. We sparred for 10 minutes or so (never saw the point in sparring for ages). We had a lot of fun, my partner was a very galant and sportive guy. As for the sparring: He couldn’t take me down and he could not hit me. I hit him (more like tapped, I don’t like hurting sparring partners) about 10 times. Afterwards he was generous enough to say that he could not get hold of me and that he realised he had been hit a number of times. I felt honoured to spar with someone so galant, so it was win-win.

He he was not very tall and looking back that explained maybe why I only used one pattern, truly marvellous that one. You may guess if you like

For next week, I invited a rather tall broad sparring partner. I’ll report back then!

Best wishes,

Roeland

www.shaolinwahnam.nl
    www.shaolinholland.com

Hi Roeland,

Its great that youve decided to commit to sparing with other opponents, a great learning opportunity and an opportunity to have a lot of fun.

I am looking forward to more up dates.

Steve.

Comment

Dear Roeland Siheng,

That is excellent, may I ask how you are finding your partners?

See you in Malaysia for some sparring? (Or anyone else who wants to? I arrive on 19th evening)

Best wishes

Jas

Comment

Dear all,

So this week the next opponent. My partner is a tall guy, about 2 metres or so and very broad as well whch is why I wanted to spar with him. He did not have much time and wanted to make sure that he wasnt hurt, so he asked me to hold back. It made for a bit of a tame session.

As he was careful he gave away less than the grappling opponent who kept offering his head. Nevertheless there were enough free offers. Highlight for me was his attempt at a double kick one sweeping followed by a turn and then another one. In between the two kicks I had enough time to kick him between his legs. I made sure I stopped before hitting him. I think he had trouble believing that this had happened

Dear Jas,

I get most of them from work! Great place to meet potential sparring partners. Some are acquaintances. I will arrive late on the 20th so meet you at the course provably! Be great to train with you!

Next opponent is a boxer kickboxer, young guy about 30, been boxing for about a year now.

Best wishes,

Roeland

www.shaolinwahnam.nl
        www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Dear all,

Just a quick update: I sparred with numbers 3 and 4 before the amazing Small and Big Universe course and with number 5 after the course .My partners were fit and young but not particularly skilled at martial arts. I just asked them to come at me and punch and kick as hard as they could. This they did but they all have up surprisingly fast. I would have liked to spar for longer so I will quickly carry on with new partnerrs.

For 3 4 and 5 I only used one pattern. It is so effective and I believe the reason they gave up so fast after coming hard at me a couple of times before giving up. I will keep using it and see if I can use it sequally effective against good martial artists

My next partner among others is someone I would have been impressed by before my Kung Fu days: a Viking like broad guy who does a lot of weight lifting. Looking forward to it !

Best wishes,

Roeland

www.shaolinwahnam.nl
          www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Dear Siheng,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

I'm really looking forward to your future updates.

Best wishes and
            Shaolin Salute,
            Brendan

Comment

Originally posted by wooden shoes View Post
              ... my first sparring partner ...I hit him...about 10 times...I only used one pattern, truly marvellous that one. You may guess if you like.

First, thanks for sharing. It sounds very successful your fist session.

Second, I guess Green Dragon shoots pearl.

Third, Shaolin Greetings!

yours,

Charles

Charles David Chalmers
              Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Dear all,

This week I sparred with number 6 and I used my entire sequence instead of just using a single pattern (by the way Charles you were close guessing the pattern, it was Fierce Dragon Across Stream for the first two opponents and for the last three I used Leak Hand / White Snake Shoots Venom) I had expected it would be more difficult to execute the entire sequence as it consists of 7 patterns, but it was actually easier, as it confused my opponent!

One thing I also learned from sparring with 30 opponents is that it is very good to start with people you know you can easily beat. This gives you room to play with sequences and at the same time you can get used to opponents who don’t have really good control and who would actually like hitting you. It makes sparring safe for me and fun too !

Best wishes,

Roeland

Last edited by wooden shoes; 31st December 2018, 08:02 AM.
                www.shaolinwahnam.nl
                www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Dear all,

I am on 10 now and it is getting more exciting and fun! I am keeping track of all the diffferent opponents so I can write about them all in a post after I reach 15.

Best wishes,

Roeland
                  www.shaolinwahnam.nl
                  www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Working...
                  X