Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning Shaolin

Hi,

A couple of months ago i decided that i needed to change something in my life, and I began training Shaolin Kung Fu at a local martial arts club. However i am starting to have serious doubts about it being real Shaolin Kung Fu after reading Master Wongs books.

In our training we very rarely do any animal techniques. Most often we only do hitting and kicking practice, and it is not an uncommon sight to see my Sifu yelling things like "Kill, Kill" during training.

I began training Shaolin because ever since i was a child i have been intrigued by the Kung Fu art. I don’t train Kung Fu to become a great fighter, or to learn to fight. In my opinion Shaolin Kung Fu should be much more than just fighting.

I am not sure if I have a wrong understanding of what Shaolin is supposed to be, or if my martial arts club is actually not training true Shaolin Kung Fu?
    Also it should be mentioned that during the two months I have been training there I have not even once gotten a good explanation of what I was doing. Questions are usually left unanswered and it is as if my Sifu is trying to avoid talking about Kung Fu.

I would really love to train real Shaolin Kung Fu, I just can't find any other places to train here in Denmark where I am located.

I hope some of you can give me some advice.

Best Regards
    Rasmus

Hallo Rasmus and welcome to the forum !

Your post is interesting but also saddening. From what you have described, it would not seem that you are learning Shaolin Kung Fu. Remember that Shaolin Kung Fu was developed by Buddhist Monks. Shouting "kill, kill" at students is certainly not something that Monks would have done.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to RESPECTFULLY (respect is due to ALL practitioners of ALL martial arts) ask your Sifu more about the system you are training, what you will learn and practice later and what aims and objectives you should follow in your training. You seem to know what you are seeking so make a check list and compare that to what your Sifu answers.

If you have a copy of "The Art of Shaolin Kungfu", you will have a great amount of information about the history, philosophy etc. of Shaolin Kungfu. Compare these to the information from your Sifu.

Just a side note - Shaolin Kung Fu is a combat Art. If you do not wish to learn to fight you may wish to reconsider you choice anyway.

I hope this helps and wish you success in your path
    WahnamCH

Comment

Working...
    X