X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflections on 20 Years in the Martial Arts

Reflections on 20 Years in the Martial Arts
    by Sifu Anthony Korahais

Twenty years ago, in the winter of 1992, I signed up for my first martial arts class. After growing up watching endless hours of Kung Fu Theater on Saturday morning TV, I finally decided to take the plunge. I was only a sophomore in college, but that decision changed my life forever.

I Know Kung Fu

I remember an incident from when I was about 10 years old. Instead of cowering when the local bully threatened to beat me up, I took a stance and said, “I know Kung Fu!” I didn’t, of course. I was totally bluffing. Like many kids, I often tried to copy the Kung Fu movies as best as I could. Apparently, I copied them well enough to convince the bully!

Bluffing wouldn’t work forever though. Memory of that incident was a constant reminder of my desire to learn Kung Fu. But I would have to wait. As the son of two musicians, I wasn’t encouraged to learn martial arts. I had been practicing the violin since I was 5 years old, and my parents were afraid of me hurting my hands. (Amazingly, I’ve never hurt my hands in all these years of practicing.)

When I went away to college, I suddenly had the freedom to make my own life decisions. Deciding to sign up for a Karate class (there was no Kung Fu class, sadly) was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. After my first class, I was hooked. There was something about practicing martial arts that resonated inside me. I loved the violin, but with the martial arts, there was a feeling I hadn’t known before. (Twenty years later, I still get that same feeling.)

Keep reading...

Sifu Anthony Korahais
    www.FlowingZen.com
    (Click here to learn more about me.)

Dear Sipak,

I enjoyed your article - thankyou for posting it here. I found it inspiring and thought provoking.

Warm regards,

Max

Comment

Great article, very encouraging to keep training, thanks!

Comment

Excellent article.
        Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
        Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
        Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
        - ancient wisdom

Comment

Thank you Siheng

Comment

Si-Hing Anthony,

Very nice artical and beautifull form in the video.

Congratulations on your achievements.

Best Wishes,
            Steve.

Comment

Dear Anthony Si Hing

It’s a nice story. I remember my original reasons to start kung fu when I was a boy:

I was a boy of great fantasy (I’m still… ) and grew up with heroes like Masters of the Universe, Transformers, G. I. Joe, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-Men, etc. and all the Action Movies of the 80’/90’ (thanks to my liberal parents I could watch them). In my fantasy, I was always a hero like them, saving the week and fighting the evil. In fact, my wish was to become the strongest man in the world!

Well, I thought, if I really want to become the strongest of all, I have to do something. So, I decided to learn martial arts. With 10 I enrolled in my fist kung fu class and my aim to become the world’s strongest carried on for some years…

…but be assured, my aims and objectives are vastly different today!

Comment

Informative article. Also interesting forms. thanks for posting.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad you all liked it.
                  Sifu Anthony Korahais
                  www.FlowingZen.com
                  (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Working...
                  X