Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kung Fu is a "Fake Martial Art"

Dear Friends and Family,

According to this article, Kung Fu, Wing Chun, and Tai Chi Quan, among others, are "Fake Martial Arts" that are ineffective.

I would say that this headline is just provocative--clickbait--except this is an opinion I have heard more than once.

How do you counter?

Yours,

Charles
    It’s amazing how many martial arts existed for hundreds of years without being called out for being ineffective. These fighting systems simply flew under the radar as practitioners only ever faced off with one another. Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports That’s what made the pioneer days of MMA so unique. For hundreds of years the best …
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

So on the one hand, this is mostly correct - the way these martial arts are generally taught today is not that of a genuine martial art.

That said, MMA is not a genuine martial art either - without the safety rules of sport (e.g. no weapons, no multiple opponents, no "forbidden" techniques) it is not so useful.
    George / Юра
    Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
      So on the one hand, this is mostly correct - the way these martial arts are generally taught today is not that of a genuine martial art.

That said, MMA is not a genuine martial art either - without the safety rules of sport (e.g. no weapons, no multiple opponents, no "forbidden" techniques) it is not so useful.

Hi George,

It's good as always to hear from you. I must concur with you regarding both you points above. Regarding MMA NOT being a real martial art, the most ironic and obvious thing to note about the videos linked is in the "Wing Chun vs. MMA" in which the MMA player rushes in with his head down for a tackle, dangerously exposing the back of his head for an easy lethal strike. I presume that a strike to the back of the head is illegal in MMA, thus allowing for this move which would be extremely foolish in a real fight.

Watching MMA it is easy to see many instances of the players exposing themselves in ways that would be laughable in a real fight...

TLDR: MMA is NOT a real martial art, as it is governed by safety rules.

Charles David Chalmers
      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Working...
      X