X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wing chun kicks and knees

How we do Wing Choon In Shaolin Wahnam

Dear all,

I have a keen interest in Wing Choon (which I did before I met Sifu) so I was curious to find out about some of the videos shown here by master McIlwrath. Based on the videos posted here, I must say that I have found Sifu McIlwrath's Wing Choon to be fundamentally different from our own Wahnam Wing Choon.

In this video Sifu McIlwrath states that going back all the time against kicks will eventually get you into trouble. I would fully agree there; it is an inferior technique and as Sifu Mcilwrath says, it allows the attacker to carry on until you are hit.

But defending against kicks in Wahnam Wing Choon is fundamentally different from the defence shown here.

Sifu Mcilwrath prefers to block the kick (see below).

double hands block against kicks.jpg

Blocking kicks is strongly discouraged in our school. You can only manage that if you are stronger than the opponent. If you fight a hardened Muay Thai boxer and you try to block his kicks, you will be hurt badly.

The Wahnam (Wing Choon) solution is very different. Instead of meeting the force head on, step back slightly so that you are out of harm's way, but still close enough to strike the kicking leg (this tactic is called 'if there is form, strike the form'). After striking the kick, you can move in to cover and counter strike when the opponent is still recovering from his kick.

The video below shows Sifu demonstrating this at a Wing Choon course:

Having learned and tried both methods (the block shown in McIlwrath's video was also taught in the Wing Choon school I attended), I strongly favour the Wahnam way.

Best wishes,

Roeland
    www.shaolinwahnam.nl
    www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Roeland Siheng,

Thanks for taking the time to find this video and give a commentary. Short and sweet.

Sifu McIlwrath,

Thanks for posting your video.

With Shaolin Salute,

Charles
      Last edited by Charles David; 4 November 2014, 06:52 AM.
      Charles David Chalmers
      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
        Roeland Siheng,

Thanks for taking the time to find this video and give a commentary. Short and sweet.

Sifu McIlwrath,

Thanks for posting your video.

With Shaolin Salute,

Charles

Your welcome.My pleasure.

Comment

Working...
        X