Chi Sao- Crossing the bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chi Sao- Crossing the bridge

Here is a video on the main concept in the Buddha hand Wing Chun lineage applied in a Chi Sao format, called " Snake creeping up the Bamboo" I hope you like it...Something different..

Sifu McIlwrath, from 4.31 to 4.57, it seems to me like your student can hit you with his left? You say you are controlling his left with your right, but the position looks pretty neutral to me, ie you are both in contact and both have the possibility to slide past the other to strike?

Can I ask a couple of questions - do you drill applications against boxers or only against wing chun techniques? I have personally used beginner level wing chun against others using wing chun and it was ok, but against boxers I couldn't make it work at all. What do you do if a boxer does a fast 1-2 (jab cross with barely a split second between), or 1-2-3, or 1-2-3-4-5-6-etc? I was sometimes (not always) able to block the first jab, less often the right cross, but even when I did, they would just throw the same again, and this time I would be that bit more crumpled/flustered and I was just left defending while they piled in, I was not able to stop their attacks by getting a counter strike in. And with gloves it was even more difficult.

Would you have any suggested moves to both defend and counter, or better yet another video?

Be interested to hear your experiences.

Comment

Oh one more, do you think it is possible to use Bong Sau to defend against a boxers straight punches, ie jab and cross?

Comment

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
        Sifu McIlwrath, from 4.31 to 4.57, it seems to me like your student can hit you with his left? You say you are controlling his left with your right, but the position looks pretty neutral to me, ie you are both in contact and both have the possibility to slide past the other to strike?

Can I ask a couple of questions - do you drill applications against boxers or only against wing chun techniques? I have personally used beginner level wing chun against others using wing chun and it was ok, but against boxers I couldn't make it work at all. What do you do if a boxer does a fast 1-2 (jab cross with barely a split second between), or 1-2-3, or 1-2-3-4-5-6-etc? I was sometimes (not always) able to block the first jab, less often the right cross, but even when I did, they would just throw the same again, and this time I would be that bit more crumpled/flustered and I was just left defending while they piled in, I was not able to stop their attacks by getting a counter strike in. And with gloves it was even more difficult.

Would you have any suggested moves to both defend and counter, or better yet another video?

Be interested to hear your experiences.
        Hello drunken boxer..I'm in wrist to wrist contact with my right arm to my students left. If my students tries to hit me I will simply cut off his movement. I will feel his intentions before he makes a move. could he possibly hit me sure. No one is perfect.

Wing Chun as a fighting art and is no different as far as making it work for you. You need hard work,time and experience. Of course .There is no easy road or magic.just hard work. This video is about chi sao so it's limited to just that. . And yes, you have to train your martial art against all styles and wing chun is no exception. Wing Chun is a counter attack system so we when your opponents moves it should be their last. you dont block,block block hit..that simple does not work.you have to be in a position to strike at will. This comes with experience and training. In wing chun there are no blocks per se. every moves is both defensive and offensive. I pplan on making videos like these in the future..

Comment

Originally posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
          Hello drunken boxer..I'm in wrist to wrist contact with my right arm to my students left. If my students tries to hit me I will simply cut off his movement. I will feel his intentions before he makes a move. could he possibly hit me sure. No one is perfect.

Wing Chun as a fighting art and is no different as far as making it work for you. You need hard work,time and experience. Of course .There is no easy road or magic.just hard work. This video is about chi sao so it's limited to just that. . And yes, you have to train your martial art against all styles and wing chun is no exception. Wing Chun is a counter attack system so we when your opponents moves it should be their last. you dont block,block block hit..that simple does not work.you have to be in a position to strike at will. This comes with experience and training. In wing chun there are no blocks per se. every moves is both defensive and offensive. I pplan on making videos like these in the future..
          That's a fair enough answer. Look forward to the future vids, ie versus boxers etc.

I'm not so excited by wing chun vs wing chun, I know wing chun works vs wing chun, prefer to see it work vs boxers, ie a proper boxer who is as big and as skilful as the wing choon opponent and really trying to hit them at full speed.

Here are a couple of vids I've seen on Wing Chun vs boxing, not quite what I am seeking but the guys seem to respect the boxers attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xnXKLhLje4

I like this one because he uses bong sau against a punch, something I have seen (unknowingly I am sure) Floyd Mayweather and other boxers do from time to time, ie block punches with an elbow (where fist is pointed down.) I guess the reason this isn't used too much is because it exposes the floating rib, but I wonder if this can be guarded against as the hand and elbow can still come down to strike such an attack.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Ldcu15-xw

Comment

Working...
          X