Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for real masters in China.

Dear Family,

Since a couple of months I am staying in Hangzhou and having a few adventures here while looking for real kung-fu masters

Everyday when I go to work in the hospital I see a few groups of elderly people practicing Taijiquan and gentle physical exercises!

There may be not much internal work (and chi) involved, however those elderly ladies bend much better than many, much younger, students of martial arts.
    Another noticeable thing is that in my entire stay, I don´t remember an elder lady having a walking frame. That is simply amazing. Compared to Western Europe - it´s a miracle!

Another inspiring thing is their diligence! Every morning they get up early and start their Taiji-Dance at 5:30 in the morning!

How many people that do similar things do you know?

You may have learned higher arts, but do you have a stronger or at least an equal diligence?

So I have great respect for their both rewarding and hard work.

However, you guessed right, I am looking for something else

Last edited by Anton S.; 30th May 2014, 08:31 AM.
    Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
    Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
    http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
    http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
    http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Good luck!
    Jeffrey Segal

Comment

I was always impressed with the parks in China that early in the morning -- in Beijing there are usually a few people practicing Zhang Zhuang in the central parks.

All throughout east asia in fact it's common for people to be up and about before dawn, preparing for the day.

Me? I like my sleep at that time of the morning

Hao Yun Qi on your quest!
      Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
      Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
      Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
      - ancient wisdom

Comment

Very diligent indeed! When I worked in Baoding, I was lucky enough to spot a group of Baguazhang practitioners. They seemed to practice like I would expect martial artists to practice; lots, and lots, and lots (and did I mention lots?) of time spent on their favored zhan zhuang postures, linear walking, and circle walking. When I was talking through the park there (which stretched several miles across), it was a common occurrence to see a practitioner start linear stepping on one side of the park and slowly, gradually step their way across the entire park, the whole process taking well over an hour. The students all looked to be in their late forties (though I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually in their fifties or early sixties). Very dedicated to their art! A friend of mine who studies Ma Weiqi Baguazhang in Guangzhou told me later that the Baoding group may have been descended from Sun Lutang's lineage. I wish I'd been able to practice with them, but the right opportunity never arose.

I wish you the best in finding real masters! I'm sure there are some to be found, if a bit difficult to find!
        I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

When I was living in Beijing, I met a Yi Quan master, but only because my host knew someone who knew someone who knew him.

In China, (like many places) it's all about 关系
          Jeffrey Segal

Comment

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures, Anton
            Jeffrey Segal

Comment

When the researcher is ready and the spacing & timing optimal ....then , the real kungfu masters will appear .
              Damian Kissey
              Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
              www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

It probably speaks to my sense of humor, but I've always found it particularly fun to be the white guy practicing kung fu in the park at dawn when I've had the occasion to in Asia (which has mostly happened for me in various parks in Hong Kong). I'm not normally up at that hour, but I take advantage of the time difference and find myself up and raring to go. It really is interesting to see the various things people are doing in the parks at that time, but the best part is the quiet peacefulness of that time and being able to follow your practice with a nice walk around neighborhoods that are just waking up!

Good luck, Anton
                Chris Didyk
                Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton S. View Post

Another inspiring thing is their diligence! How many people that do similar things do you know? You may have learned higher arts, but do you have a stronger or at least an equal diligence? So I have great respect for their both rewarding and hard work.
                  Excellent thread Anton and you raised a few important points as quoted above.

We must NEVER forget to remain humble in our way of looking at others. Besides, everyone is choosing walking his own way, so who are we to judge?

Maxime

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Dear Anton,

You may have learned higher arts, but do you have a stronger or at least an equal diligence?
                    Yes, indeed. It is a very good point. There is always room for more plain diligence. Thank you for highlighting this. Wishing you continued happy and safe travels in China!

Dear Maxime,

We must NEVER forget to remain humble in our way of looking at others.
                    Thank you also for this vital reminder. Even if we learn the best arts, if we are not humble then we limit ourselves from receiving the benefits of the arts, and we also limit ourselves from receiving the wisdom and experience of our own Sifu. Merci du fond du coeur!

Shaolin salute - love and respect,

Emiko
                    Emiko Hsuen
                    www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                    www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
                    Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                    4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
                    Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
                    Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
                    Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
                    Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
                    To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

Working...
                    X