Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you handle roundhouse kicks to the knee or thigh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you handle roundhouse kicks to the knee or thigh?

I always have this same problem when sparring whether against my own classmates or people from other styles. These low roundhouse kicks can be really quick and hurtful, especially if it comes from a formidable Thai boxer. Do you guys know any tips on how to counter these simple yet deadly low kicks?

Hi Kung Fu fan,

Thanks for your question.

Can you clarify the exact type of kick? For example from these diagrams of different types of round kicks:

Best,

Andy
    Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
    Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
    - ancient wisdom

Comment

Sifu Kai in Shaolin Wahnam Germany has a video of counters:

Muay Thai sweeping kicks are powerful and fast. Blocking such kicks head-on is an inferior defence. A superior counter is to deflect the opponent's force and...

If you are referring to the basic snapping roundhouse kick (called Tiger Tail Kick in my school), I don't think it would matter if it was executed high or low for the counter to be effective.

Best regards,
      Stephen

Comment

One should note that merely knowing the above techniques is insufficent to defend against a ferocious Muai Thai round-house attack -- a mis-conception not uncommon among kungfu students. He must have other combat factors like force, timing and temperament, and must have practised the techniques in conjuction with these other factors many, many times before he can effectively put them into real life situations.
        - Sifu

Hi Kung Fu fan,

Sorry I misread your initial post and thought you were referring to low roundhouses in particular (i.e. below knee), and that's why I asked for clarification of the type of kick.

Stephen has posted a great video of roundhouse kick counters and we will return to that. But first I'd like to break down the approaches to dealing with mid-level roundhouse kicks;

First defend, then counter

The first step of defence is defending with the feet - simply moving out of the way.

Examples of this would be:
        • From a R Bow Arrow stance, shifting back to a R Single Leg
        • From a R False leg stance, stepping back into a L False leg stance

and so on...

Alternatively without moving the feet there are static responses such as:

• From a R Bow Arrow stance, sinking back into "Tame Tiger with String of Beads"

After successfully training to avoid the kick you would then move on to practicing attacking afterwards with a rapid attack pattern of your own, such as a Bow Arrow White Snake.

Defence-cum-counter

The next step would be to counter the kick simultaneous with your defensive movement:
        • From a R False leg stance, stepping back into a L False Leg stance while brushing (soft - let leg pass then add to its momentum with your brush) the attackers leg away

• From a L Bow Arrow stance, sinking back into "Tame Tiger with String of Beads", and then catch the foot for an ankle dislocation with "Two Tigers Subdue Dragon" (shown above)

No defence, direct counter

• "Bar the Big Boss"

Sink into Horse stance whilst intercepting (not blocking) the attackers leg above the knee with your elbow.
        Follow up immediately with Precious Duck strike.

• "Cross-Hands Thrust Kick"

Another interception, this time with a kick rather than arm attack. Step diagonally away from the attackers move and kick the attacking leg above the knee.

• "High Patting Horse"

Intercept and then fell. Step diagonally into the kick, catch the attacking leg and sweep the standing leg.
        • "Double Bows"

Stepping forwards into Bow Arrow, simultaneously intercept opponents attacking thigh with low palm strike and hit opponents chest with your mid palm strike.

Methodological skills development
        Knowing the theory behind the counters and being able to perform them effectively in the heat of combat are two different things - to be able to counter effectively requires time and methodological preparation. It is a question of skills over techniques. Developing these skills is the purpose of our syllabus and sequence sparring. The progression from defence, to counter, to direct counter is one example of such skills development.

Right choice

Personally, I prefer "Tame Tiger" when at long range, "Bar Big Boss" when at mid range and "Double Bows" when at close range vs Roundhouse kicks. Sequence sparring develops the skills and abilities of strategy, tactics, time, spacing, anticipation, technique and power needed to make the right choice instantaneously in a real situation.

High-level counters
        It is this skills development which leads to the ability to perform high level counters in combat, such as demonstrated by Taisihing Kai performing “Planting Willow in Front of Camp” in the above video.

Best,
        Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
        Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:

- ancient wisdom

Comment

Thank you very much Andy for the concise and graphic overview .

The taijiquan pattern " High patting horse " is quite similar to the shaolin kungfu "Planting willow in font of camp"

And shaolin kungfu " Taming tiger with string of beads" is quite similar to the taijiquan " Low stance single whip" .....and we'll be doing all those patterns soon at the Intensive Taijiquan Course at Shen San
          Damian Kissey
          Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
          www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Originally posted by Damian Kissey View Post
            .....and we'll be doing all those patterns soon at the Intensive Taijiquan Course at Shen San
            Dear Sihing,

That's a great opportunity!

Thank you also for pointing out that my post above was a mixture of both Shaolin counters and Taijiquan counters

For example, here is the progression illustrated by Taijiquan patters:

First defend, then counter

• Low Stance Single Whip

Defence-cum-counter

• Grasping Sparrows Tail

No defence, direct counter

• Green Dragon Shoots Pearl

(Against a round kick, the lower hand would intercept the thigh, the middle hand strike the chest)
            Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
            Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:

- ancient wisdom

Comment

Working...
            X