What a great thread, thank you all!
    Pavel Macek Sifu

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

sigpic

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Originally posted by PM View Post
      What a great thread, thank you all!
      Thanks you Pavel Sifu for your kind words. They are very much appreciated. :-)

For today, I would like to share another beautiful story that I once read long ago:

I Am A Tourist Here

An American tourist went to see a Sufi Master. For many years he had heard about him, had fallen in deep love with his words, his message.

Finally he decided to go to see him. When he entered his room he was surprised — it was an utterly empty room!

The Master was sitting; there was no furniture at all! The American could not conceive of a living space without any furniture.

He immediately asked, “Where is your furniture, sir?”

And the old Sufi laughed and he said, “And where is yours?”

And the American said, “Of course I am a tourist here. I cannot go on carrying my furniture!”

And the old man said, “So am I a tourist for only just a few days, and then I will be gone, just as you will be gone.”

Story Source
      I am a Tourist Here.jpg

Picture Source

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Originally posted by Damian Kissey View Post
        Thank you dear Santi for giving light of clarity to the dark of ignorance
        Thank you dear Sihing for you kind words. They are very much appreciated. :-)

And thank also for sharing your wonderful and inspiring stories.

Santi

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family and Kwoon Readers,

Please find another beautiful and inspiring story:

Frog The Philosopher

A centipede walks with a hundred legs. A frog, a philosopher, saw the centipede, he looked and watched and he became very troubled; it is so difficult to walk even with four legs, but this centipede was walking with one hundred legs.

This was a miracle! How did the centipede decide which leg to move first, and then which one next and then which one after that? And one hundred legs!

So the frog stopped the centipede and asked a question: I am a philosopher and I am puzzled by you. A problem has arisen which I cannot solve.

How do you walk? How do you manage it at all? It seems impossible! The centipede said: I have been walking all my life, but I have not thought about it. Now that you ask, I will think about it and then I will tell you.

For the first time thought entered the centipede’s consciousness. Really, the frog was right – which leg should be moved first? The centipede stood there for a few minutes, couldn’t move, wobbled, and fell down.

And he said to the frog: Please don’t ask another centipede this question. I have been walking throughout my life and it was never a problem, and now you have killed me completely! I cannot move. And a hundred legs to move! How can I manage…

Story Source
          Frog The Philosopher.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another story that I love:

Other Side

One day a young Buddhist on his journey home came to the banks of a wide river. Staring hopelessly at the great obstacle in front of him, he pondered for hours on just how to cross such a wide barrier. Just as he was about to give up his pursuit to continue his journey he saw a great teacher on the other side of the river.

The young Buddhist yells over to the teacher, “Oh wise one, can you tell me how to get to the other side of this river”?

The teacher ponders for a moment looks up and down the river and yells back, “My son, you are on the other side”.

Story Source
            Other Side.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another inspiring story that I particularly love:

A horse suddenly came galloping quickly down the road. It seemed as though the man had somewhere important to go.

Another man, who was standing alongside the road, shouted, "Where are you going?" and the man on the horse replied,

"I don't know! Ask the horse!"

Story Source
              Be the Boss.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another inspiring story that I love:

The Silent Sermon

A member of a certain church, who previously had been attending services regularly, stopped going.

After a few weeks, the minister decided to visit him. It was a chilly day. That evening, the minister found the man at home all alone sitting by a blazing fire. Guessing the reason for his minister's visit, the man welcomed him, and led him to a comfortable chair near the fireplace and waited.

The minister made himself at home but said nothing. In the grave silence, he contemplated the dance of the flames around the burning logs. After some minutes, he took the fire tongs, carefully picked up a brightly burning ember and placed it to one side of the hearth all alone. Then he sat back in his chair, still silent. The host watched all this in quiet contemplation.

As the one lone ember's flame flickered and diminished, there was a momentary glow and then its fire was no more. Soon it was cold and dead. Not a word had been spoken since the initial greeting.

The minister glanced at his watch and chose this time to leave. He slowly stood up, picked up the cold, dead ember and placed it back in the middle of the fire. Immediately it began to glow once more, with the light and warmth of the burning coals around it.

As the minister reached the door to leave, his host said, with a tear running down his cheek, "Thank you so much for your fiery sermon. I shall be back in church next Sunday".

Story Source
                The Silent Sermon.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

For today, I present you another of my favorites stories. Please enjoy:

On the Nature of God

Several citizens ran into a hot argument about God and different religions, and each one could not agree to a common answer. So they came to the Lord Buddha to find out what exactly God looks like.

The Buddha asked his disciples to get a large magnificent elephant and four blind men. He then brought the four blind to the elephant and told them to find out what the elephant would “look” like.

The first blind man touched the elephant leg and reported that it “looked” like a pillar. The second blind man touched the elephant tummy and said that an elephant was a wall. The third blind man touched the elephant ear and said that it was a piece of cloth. The fourth blind man held the elephant by the tail and described the elephant as a piece of rope. And all of them ran into a hot argument about the “appearance” of an elephant.

The Buddha asked the citizens: “Each blind man had touched the elephant but each of them gives a different description of the animal. Which answer is right?”

Story Source
                  The Nature of God.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another story that I personally love:

A popular speaker started off a seminar by holding up a $20 bill. A crowd of 200 had gathered to hear him speak. He asked, “Who would like this $20 bill?”

200 hands went up.

He said, “I am going to give this $20 to one of you but first, let me do this.” He crumpled the bill up.

He then asked, “Who still wants it?”

All 200 hands were still raised.

“Well,” he replied, “What if I do this?” Then he dropped the bill on the ground and stomped on it with his shoes.

He picked it up, and showed it to the crowd. The bill was all crumpled and dirty.

“Now who still wants it?”

All the hands still went up.

“My friends, I have just showed you a very important lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20. Many times in our lives, life crumples us and grinds us into the dirt. We make bad decisions or deal with poor circumstances. We feel worthless. But no matter what has happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value. You are special – Don’t ever forget it!

Story Source
                    Value.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

BEG NOT OF THE BEGGARS

When King Akbar was once riding his horse in the countryside surrounding Agra, he became hungry and asked a peasant for some food. The peasant, believing him to be an ordinary traveller, brought some food and cold water and did his best to make him comfortable. When Akbar, much refreshed, was ready to leave he told the peasant “Good man, I am the king of Hindustan. If you ever have need of any assistance, please come to me without any hesitation. I will be glad to help you if I can.”

After some time the peasant did have a problem, which he thought the king might help him to solve. So he trudged into Agra and asked for an interview with the Great Moghul, King Akbar. In due course he was ushered into the King’s private chamber, where at the moment Akbar was engaged in prayer. When he finished his prayer, he raised his hands and begged for a number of gifts from the Almighty Lord. When King Akbar rose from his knees and saw the peasant, he greeted him warmly and asked if there was something he could do for him. “Sir,” said the peasant very humbly, “will you tell me what you were doing just now?” “Why certainly,” said Akbar, “I was asking for God’s help in solving the many difficulties that I face, and for His aid in keeping my kingdom at peace.”

“Thank you very much. Sir" said the peasant. “May I now have your permission to go?" “Why ! What is the matter?" exclaimed the king. “Did you not come here to ask for my help?" Humbly but resolutely the peasant answered : “Sire, I will beg at the same door as the one before which you are begging For, my Lord, though you are the greatest of kings, I find that you are also a poor beggar. And for me to beg of a beggar would indeed be a disgrace "

King Akbar Begging.jpg
                      Last edited by Damian Kissey; 20 August 2018, 05:38 PM.
                      Damian Kissey
                      Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                      www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Originally posted by Damian Kissey View Post

BEG NOT OF THE BEGGARS
                        Thank you dear Sihing for the beautiful story. :-)

For today, I would like to share another beautiful story. Please find it below:

Looking Beyond Imperfections

A water bearer in India had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his shoulders. One of the pots had a crack in it, while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.

At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full. This went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots of water to his house. Of course, the perfect pot was perfect for the task for which it was made, and proud of its accomplishments. But the cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.

After two years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. “I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologize to you. I have only been able to deliver half my load because this crack in my side causes water to leak out .Because of my flaws, you have to do all of this work, and you don’t get full value from your efforts,” the pot said.

The bearer said to the pot, “Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path, but not on the other pot’s side?” That’s because I have always known about your flaw, and I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you’ve watered them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without your being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house.

Story Source
                        Looking Beyond Imperfections.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

I would like to share with you another inspiring story:

The Monastery

There once was a monastery that was very strict. Following a vow of silence, no one was allowed to speak at all. But there was one exception to this rule. Every ten years, the monks were permitted to speak just two words.

After spending his first ten years at the monastery, one monk went to the head monk. “It has been ten years,” said the head monk. “What are the two words you would like to speak?”

“Bed… hard…” said the monk.

“I see,” replied the head monk.

Ten years later, the monk returned to the head monk’s office. “It has been ten more years,” said the head monk. “What are the two words you would like to speak?”

“Food… stinks…” said the monk.

“I see,” replied the head monk.

Yet another ten years passed and the monk once again met with the head monk who asked, “What are your two words now, after these ten years?”

“I… quit!” said the monk.

“Well, I can see why,” replied the head monk. “All you ever do is complain.”

Story Source
                          The Monastery.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another beautiful and inspiring story:

The Frog and The Tower

There once was a bunch of tiny frogs who arranged a climbing competition. The goal was to reach the top of a very high tower. A big crowd had gathered around the tower to see the race and cheer on the contestants.

The race began…

Honestly, no one in crowd really believed that the tiny frogs would reach the top. You heard statements such as:

“Oh, way too difficult!!”

“They will never make it to the top”.

“Not a chance that they will succeed. The tower is too high!”

The tiny frogs began collapsing. One by one except for those who in a fresh tempo were climbing higher and higher. But the crowd continued to yell:

“It is too difficult! No one will make it!”

More tiny frogs got tired and gave up.

But one continued higher and higher. This one wouldn’t give up! At the end, everyone else had quit climbing except for the one tiny frog who, after a big effort, was the only one who reached the top! Naturally, all of the other frogs wanted to know how this one managed to do it – to reach the goal?

As it turned out, this particular frog was deaf.

Story Source
                            The Frog and The Tower.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another beautiful and inspiring story:

Creation - A Sioux Indian Story

The Creator gathered all of Creation and said, “I want to hide something from the humans until they are ready for it. It is the realization that they create their own reality.”

The Eagle said, “Give it to me, I will take it to the moon.” The Creator said, “No. One day they will go there and find it.”

The Salmon said, “I will bury it on the bottom of the ocean.” “No. They will go there too.”

The Buffalo said, “I will bury it on the Great Plains.” The Creator said, “They will cut into the skin of the Earth and find it even there.”

Grandmother Mole, who lives in the breast of Mother Earth, and who has no physical eyes but sees with spiritual eyes, said, “Put it inside of them.” And the Creator said, “It is done.”

Story Source
                              Creation - A Sioux Indian Story.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Thanks for sharing another nugget of wisdom here with us Santi Siheng

If I may, from where did you get these marvelous stories?

With Shaolin Salute,
                                Lee Wei Joo
                                http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X