X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Please find below another story that I personally love:

Why Hath Thou Forsaken Me?

The Mississippi River was flooding its banks and the waters were rising around Clem's house. The waters had gotten to the level of the front porch where Clem was standing. A man in a rowboat came by and called to Clem, "Hop in and I'll take you to high ground."

Clem replied, "No, my God will save me!"

The river continued to rise to the second story windows and Clem, looking out, saw a powerboat come up. The man in the powerboat called to Clem, "Hop in and I'll take you to high ground."

The river had now risen to the roof of the house. Clem was sitting on the ridge at the top of the house, with the waters swirling around his feet. He saw a helicopter fly over and the people inside yelled over a bull horn, "Grab the rope and climb in and we'll take you to high ground."

The river continued to rise and finally, it engulfed the house and Clem was drowned. The next thing he knew, Clem was standing before his God. In anger, he asked God, "I put my trust in you. Why have you forsaken me?"

And his God replied, "What do you want from me? I sent you a rowboat, a powerboat, and a helicopter!"

Story Source
    Why Hath Thou Forsaken Me?.jpg

Picture Source

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Today, I was watching a Warren Buffett's video on Youtube and he was telling a story that I personally find inspiring. I would like to share it with you:

The Ovarian Lottery

A genie comes and says to you in the womb, "You look like an extraordinarily responsible, intelligent, potential human being. You're going to emerge in 24 hours and it is an enormous responsibility I am going to assign to you — determination of the political, economic and social system into which you are going to emerge. You set the rules, any political system, democracy, parliamentary, anything you wish — you can set the economic structure, communistic, capitalistic, set anything in motion and I guarantee you that when you emerge this world will exist for you, your children and grandchildren.

What's the catch?

There is One catch — Said the genie. — Just before you emerge, you have to go through a lottery and pick up one of the 7 billion balls contained in a big barrel. The ball that you pick up, that is the life that what you are going to get. You could be born intelligent or not intelligent, born healthy or disabled, rich or poor, born black or white, man or woman, born in the US or in Bangladesh, etc. You have no idea which ball you are going to get.

Not knowing which ball you are going to get, how would you design this world?

Story Source
      The Ovarian Lottery.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Recently, I read this story and I really enjoyed it and felt inspired by it:

Keeping the Roots Stronger

Once upon a time, there were two neighbors living next to each other. One of them was a retired teacher and another was an insurance agent who had a lot of interest in technology. Both of them had planted different plants in their gardens. The retired teacher was giving a small amount of water to his plants and didn’t always give full attention to them, while the other neighbor interested in technology, had given a lot of water to his plants and looked after them too well.

The retired teacher’s plants were simple but looked good. The insurance agent’s plants were much fuller and greener. One day, during the night, there was heavy rain and a wind due to a minor storm. The next morning, both of the neighbors came out to inspect the damage to their garden. The neighbor who was an insurance agent saw that his plants came off from the roots and were totally destroyed. But, the retired teacher’s plants were not damaged at all and were standing firm.

The insurance agent neighbor was surprised to see it, he went to the retired teacher and asked, “We both grew the same plants together, I actually looked after my plants better than you did for yours, and even gave them more water. Still, my plants came off from the roots, while yours didn’t. How is that possible?”

The retired teacher smiled and said, “You gave your plants more attention and water, but because of that they didn’t need to work themselves for it. You made it easy for them. While I gave them just an adequate amount of water and let their roots search for more. And, because of that, their roots went deeper and that made their position stronger. That is why my plants survived”.

Moral: This story is about parenting where children are like plants. If everything is given to them, they might not understand the hard work it takes to earn those things. They might not learn to work themselves and respect it. Often, it’s best to guide them instead of just giving them. Teaching them how to walk, but letting them follow their path.

Story Source
        Keeping the roots stronger.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another story that I love.

The Seven Wonders

Anna was a 9-year-old girl from a small village. She finished attending elementary school until 4th grade at her village. For the 5th grade onwards, she will have to get admission to a school in a city nearby. She got very happy knowing that she was accepted in a very reputed school in a city. Today was the first day of her school and she was waiting for her school bus. Once the bus came, she got in it quickly. She was very excited.

Once the bus reached to her school, all students started going to their classes. Anna also made it to her classroom after asking fellow students for direction. Upon seeing her simple clothing and knowing she is from a small village, other students started making fun of her. The teacher soon arrived and she asked everyone to keep quiet. She introduced Anna to the class and told that she will be studying with them only from today.

Then the teacher told the students to be ready for the surprise test now! She told everyone to write down the 7 wonders of the world. Everyone started writing the answer quickly. Anna started to write the answer slowly.

When everyone except Anna had submitted their answer paper, the teacher came and asked Anna, “What happened Dear? Don’t worry, Just write what you know as other students have learned about it just a couple of days back”.

Anna replied, “I was thinking that there are so many things, which 7 I can pick to write!” And, then she handed her answer paper to the teacher. The teacher started reading everyone’s answers and the majority had answered them correctly such as The Great Wall of China, Colosseum, Stonehedge, Great Pyramid of Giza, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Tajmahal, Hanging Gardens of Babylon etc.

The teacher was happy as students had remembered what she had taught them. At last, the teacher picked up Anna’s answer paper and started reading.

“The 7 Wonders are – To be able to See, To be able to Hear, To be able to Feel, To Laugh, To Think, To be Kind, To Love!”

The teacher stood stunned and the whole class was speechless. Today, a girl from the small village reminded them about the precious gifts that God has given us, which are truly a wonder.

Story Source
          The Seven Wonders.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another story that I personally love:

The Wishing Tree

Once upon a time there was a hermit of Hindustan named Hari, who wore the soles off his feet traveling through the rocky regions of the Himalaya Mountains in search of a certain wishing tree. The Indian legends say that this wishing tree was grown by divine fairies and endowed with the power to grant the fulfillment of any or all desires of the person who sat under it.

Hermit Hari was spiritual, devoted, and firm in his determination. Long he had searched for God but he had received only glimpses of Him in meditation. Next to God, the object he coveted and searched for was the wishing tree.

Although Hari had failed in his efforts to commune with God at will, nevertheless he had acquired great occult powers due to his austerity, self-discipline, and occasional contacts with God. His determined search had resulted in the accumulation of considerable good karma. Hari now believed, that through the magnetic power of his stored up good karma and the latent divine power within him, he was going to be rewarded by finding a wishing tree.

Hermit Hari’s desire found fulfillment when he accidentally came across a great bushy tree in the course of his travels in the snow-walled valleys of the Himalayas, a virgin land which very few people were able to travel. Hari’s intuition enabled him to recognize at first sight that the large bushy tree was a wishing tree. Inspired by untold delight, he raced toward the tree and stood under it. He wanted to test the occult powers of this famous wishing tree.

Hermit Hari said to himself, “If this is a wishing tree, then I desire the instant materialization of a mighty castle.” No sooner had he expressed the wish than the great castle suddenly materialized beside the tree, spreading out over a vast area as if it had always been there.

Encouraged by his first success with the wishing tree, Hari made another wish: “I would like to be attended by bright-eyed damsels and fairies serving me food on golden plates.” This also came to pass. Encouraged still further by the instantaneous fulfillment of so many of his long-unfulfilled desires, Hermit Hari then wished for a mighty army to protect him and lo, there appeared a mighty army guarding the great castle.

After dinner, Hermit Hari retired to a secluded room on the ground floor of the castle. This room was rather dark and dreary. As Hermit Hari lay there looking toward the open window which overlooked the forest, he sent forth another strong thought: “I am protected here by an army of soldiers but the window in my room is open and without bars. If a tiger comes in and gets me, that will be the finish of me.”

Just then, while Hermit Hari still held on to his attitude of fear, a big tiger bolted through the open window of the castle and carried off the fear-frozen Hermit Hari. It was too late for him to realize that he was under the influence of a wishing tree which would grant both his good and bad wishes, irrespective of the motives behind the wishes. The business of a wishing tree is to grant wishes, according to the strength of the thought, whether positive or negative, and this wishing tree was true to form.

Story Source
            The Wishing Tree.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Please find below another story favorite of mine:

The King, The Chess and The Rice

The legend goes that the tradition of serving Paal Payasam to visiting pilgrims started after a game of chess between the local king and Lord Krishna himself. (picture of 18th century Miniature of Lord Krishna playing Chess against Radha from National Museum, New Delhi)

The king was a big chess enthusiast and had the habit of challenging wise visitors to a game of chess. One day, a traveling sage was challenged by the king. To motivate his opponent the king offered any reward that the sage could name. The sage modestly asked just for a few grains of rice in the following manner: the king was to put a single grain of rice on the first chess square and double it on every consequent one.

Having lost the game and being a man of his word the king ordered a bag of rice to be brought to the chessboard. Then he started placing rice grains according to the arrangement: 1 grain on the first square, 2 on the second, 4 on the third, 8 on the fourth and so on:

Following the exponential growth of the rice payment, the king quickly realized that he was unable to fulfill his promise because on the twentieth square the king would have had to put 1,000,000 grains of rice. On the fortieth square, the king would have had to put 1,000,000,000 grains of rice. And finally, on the sixty-fourth square, the king would have had to put more than 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 grains of rice which is equal to about 210 billion tons and is allegedly sufficient to cover the whole territory of India with a meter thick layer of rice. At ten grains of rice per square inch, the above amount requires rice fields covering twice the surface area of the Earth, oceans included.

It was at that point that Lord Krishna revealed his true identity to the king and told him that he doesn't have to pay the debt immediately but can do so over time. That is why, to this day, visiting pilgrims are still feasting on Paal Payasam and the king's debt to Lord Krishna is still being repaid.

Story Source
              The King, The Chess and The Rice.jpeg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

• Dear Siheng,

Once again thanks for sharing ,

Shaolin Salute,
                Brendan

Comment

• Originally posted by brendan View Post
                  Dear Siheng,

Once again thanks for sharing ,

Shaolin Salute,
                  Brendan
                  You are most welcome dear Sidai. :-)

Santi

Comment

• Hi!

Thank you Santi for starting this nice thread and others for contributing. Many great stories surely!

Personally I enjoy stories with a cynical edge, so I will throw few in case someone shares my liking.

The Frogs Pick a King

The Frogs living an easy, free sort of life among the lakes and ponds, once prayed Jupiter to send them a King. Jove being at that time in a merry mood, threw them a Log, saying, as he did so, “There, then, is a King for you.” Awed by the splash, the Frogs watched their King in fear and trembling, till at last, encouraged by his stillness, one more daring than the rest jumped upon the shoulder of his monarch. Soon, many others followed his example, and made merry on the back of their unresisting King. Speedily tiring of such a torpid ruler, they again petitioned Jupiter, and asked him to send them something more like a King. This time he sent them a Stork, who tossed them about and gobbled them up without mercy. They lost no time, therefore, in beseeching the god to give them again their former state. “No, no,” replied he; “a King that did you no harm did not please you. Make the best of the one you have, or you may chance to get a worse in his place.”

https://fablesofaesop.com/the-frogs-pick-a-king.html

The Missed Appointment
                    h
                    A philosopher made an appointment with Nasrudin to have a scholarly discussion. When the day came, the philosopher dropped by Nasrudin's house as planned. However, Nasrudin wasn't home. The philosopher angrily took his pencil out of his pocket, wrote "Asshole" on Nasrudin's door, and then left

Nasrudin finally came home later and saw this. He quickly realized that he had missed his appointment, and he darted off to the philosopher's house.

"Forgive my error," Nasrudin told the philosopher when he got there. "I totally forgot about our appointment today. But when I got home and saw that you had written your name on my door, I came here as fast as I could."

http://www.rodneyohebsion.com/mulla-nasrudin.htm
                    Cheerio,
                    Olli

Comment

Please find below another story that I like a lot:

Rainy Day, Sunny Day

(A story from the scripture, as told by Venerable Master Hsing Yun)

There was once an old lady who cried all the time. Her elder daughter was married to an umbrella merchant while the younger daughter was the wife of a noodle vendor.

On sunny days, she worried, "Oh no! The weather is so nice and sunny. No one is going to buy any umbrellas. What will happen if the shop has to be closed?" These worries made her sad. She just could not help but cry.

When it rained, she would cry for the younger daughter. She thought, "Oh no! My younger daughter is married to a noodle vendor. You cannot dry noodles without the sun. Now there will be no noodles to sell. What should we do?"

As a result, the old lady lived in sorrow everyday. Whether sunny or rainy, she grieved for one of her daughters. Her neighbors could not console her and jokingly called her "the crying lady."

One day, she met a monk. He was very curious as to why she was always crying. She explained the problem to him. The monk smiled kindly and said, "Madam! You need not worry. I will show you a way to happiness, and you will need to grieve no more."

The crying lady was very excited. She immediately asked the monk to show her what to do. The master replied, "It is very simple. You just need to change your perspective.

On sunny days, do not think of your elder daughter not being able to sell umbrellas but the younger daughter being able to dry her noodles. With such good strong sunlight, she must be able to make plenty of noodles and her business must be very good. When it rains, think about the umbrella store of the elder daughter. With the rain, everyone must be buying umbrellas. She will sell a lot of umbrellas and her store will prosper."

The old lady saw the light. She followed the monk's instructions. After a while, she did not cry anymore; instead, she was smiling everyday. From that day on she was known as "the smiling lady."

Story Source
                      Rainy Day, Sunny Day.jpg

Picture Source

Santi

Comment

Working...
                      X