Scholar Project-Chinese Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

What a brilliant and exciting weekend we have had learning the wonderful art Chinese Chess from Chun Yian Sipak. It was amazing how quickly we all could play and battle each other using different strategies, one being Double cannons which I think were almost everybody’s favourite. Playing against your opponent was like organising your own battle field concentrating on your defence when needed and when the opportunity had materialised attacking your opponent’s pieces and finding a path to their General, exciting to say the least.

We also learned that the skills from Chinese chess can be applied in daily life and business. In daily life and business planning is important as Chun Yin Sipak told us if you ‘fail to plan you plan to fail’. Something I think that will always stay with me was the advise from Chun Yian Sipak on having balance in your game being you must work on your defence as well as your attack and applying this in your business life by looking after the customers you have now as well as looking for new customers.

Overall I loved every minute of this course as well as the opportunity to spend time and enjoy life with my Shaolin Wahnam Family.

Thank you Chun Yian Sipak for teaching us this wonderful art, teaching us exciting strategies and for passing on your wonderful knowledge to us.

Thank you Sifu for organising this amazing weekend for us to enjoy and looking after all of us with wonderful food. It was a privilege to be part of the first Shaolin Wahnam Chinese Chess course and I thank you for this.

Thank you to all my Shaolin Wahnam Family members who took part, it was great fun playing against you all, looking forward to the next time.

Can’t wait for the advanced course next year. Better get practicing!

Shaolin Salute,

Dominic.

Comment

Dear Family,

Firstly, I would like to offer my sincere thanks to Sipak Chun Yian for travelling a very long way to hold Shaolin Wahnam’s first ever Chinese Chess course. It was an honour and a privilege to participate in it. Secondly, I would like to offer my congratulations to Sipak on the way in which he conducted the course. As already mentioned, by lunchtime on Saturday we were all playing Chinese Chess properly and this is surely a testament to Sipak’s teaching skills. There is quite a bit to understand in the game but somehow we all picked it up in superquick time.

It was a superb weekend. The three-thousand year-old art of Chinese Chess (older than Kung Fu!) is a wonderful game which trains strategy, awareness, discipline, respect for an opponent and many other traits which we train through our other more established Shaolin Arts. The art of being able to play it, and play it well, was given to us over the weekend. More importantly, the essence of the game, and how we can use it in our daily life, was transmitted and this will bear us many fruit in the months ahead. Sidai Santi has done an excellent job in detailing some of the skills in his excellent post above.

The weekend was also the most fun I’ve had in a long time. I’m still laughing at Sisook John’s matter-of-fact horse killing options!

Thank you Sipak for a wonderful weekend. You have greatly enriched our training and brought a whole new dimension to our Shaolin Arts for which I am very grateful. As I understand it, it was your first time teaching Chinese Chess. You did an excellent job and you can be very proud of your achievement.

I would like to offer my sincere thanks as well to Sifu Joan for her hosting and organising yet another brilliant weekend.

And, as always, many sincere thanks to Sigung for everything that he does for us... which in the context of this thread is introducing the scholar warrior ideal to our training in the Shaolin Arts.

Photos to follow!

Best wishes,

Kevin

Comment

Here are some photos from the weekend!

1 - Sipak teaching!

Comment

Sipak and Sidai Santi.

Comment

Sipak inspecting matters!!!

Comment

Sipak teaching using his board.

Comment

Doing battle!

Comment

Doing battle!

(with photo attached...)

Comment

Sipak and the class.

Comment

One of our youngest members in Ireland. The face of an angel, the Chess mind of a master.

Lethal.

He beat me twice on the Sunday.

Comment

Sipak and the happy class!

Thank you Sipak!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_B View Post
                          One of our youngest members in Ireland. The face of an angel, the Chess mind of a master.

Lethal.

He beat me twice on the Sunday.
                          Wonderful Photos, Thank you so much for sharing Kevin, Gearoid had a super weekend and is looking forward to the next time

Comment

How cool is Chinese Chess, and how great is it to be able to play it now?

Dear family,

I just attended the wonderful Chinese Chess course taught by Chun Yian Sipak and felt compelled to write about it. After reading the comments on the course in Ireland I was already excited to be attending, and boy did the course deliver!

As has already been stated by others, it was amazing how quickly we all became familiar with the game and got playing. Chun Yian Sipak was an excellent teacher and I quickly felt myself moving from unconscious incompetence to conscious incompetence!

I enjoy Western Chess, but there is something about Chinese Chess that is really intriguing, particularly in the way that the pieces move – the Cannon is a star piece that can really turn a situation around surprisingly quickly. I also love the fact that there is a river dividing the board and that some pieces are restricted to their side or even to within the royal palace.

I agree wholeheartedly with all the comments made by Peter Clayton Sipak and Sancrica Sipak and the lessons listed by Sancrica Sipak are really relevant for daily life.

I was amazed by Chun Yian Sipak’s ability to describe aspects of my personality simply by watching me play!! He highlighted that I don’t pay attention to the big picture, and he is absolutely right, because I am very detailed focus. However, I am heartened to learn that practicing Chinese Chess will improve my ability to look at the big picture, as well as the details. J I also believe it will improve my application of Zen in daily life.

One other aspect that will be useful for daily life is from the Art of War. When planning a battle/war there are five criteria that should be considered. They are (and I hope I have recorded correctly):
                            • Aim/objective of the war
                            • Conditions of the sky/the weather
                            • Conditions of the area/terrain
                            • People
                            • Military Law

These principles can also be applied to planning in daily life.

Finally I shall heed the advice to always be confident of my decisions (in case my opponent misses my mistake) because in any case the situation can be turned around again quickly; and to play (and deal with people) in good faith.

Sincere thanks to Chun Yian Sipak for traveling to London and Ireland to
                            teach us and to Sigume Fleur for organising, and to my Shaolin Wahnam brothers and sisters for such enjoyable games.

I look forward to playing other family members in the future.
                            With love and Shaolin salute /o

"Your purpose in life is to find your purpose & give your whole heart and soul to it." - Buddha

Gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.

Comment

My Dear Family,

Thank you for your lovely posts and course reviews.

We are continuing to play Chinese Chess here when everybody meets up and once a month when all the Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan students come together and are having great fun with strategic planning.

Chun Yian Siheng assures me that he will be back around the same dates again in October next year for courses on Beginners and Advanced Chinese Chess and The Art of War. More details here later and on the Scholar project website.

Thank you Siheng, we very much look forward to your teaching!

Smile from the Heart,
                              Joan
                              Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
                              GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                              ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
                              THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Congratulations to all. The experiences and pictures shared are lovely. It sounds like you all had such a fantastic time and Chinese Chess is well worth learning . I hope there will be even more who can benefit next year.

Best regards
                                Andrea
                                Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                                Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Working...
                                X