Negative Emotions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I may, I would like to join in on the fun as well

"Negative" emotions would be those that bring harm, while "positive" emotions would be those that bring benefit.

Looking forward to others' perspectives as well

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo
    http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Also an interesting thought, Wei Joo. What about the emotions that neither bring harm nor benefit?
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: May 2019 in Landquart CH
      QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
        What about the emotions that neither bring harm nor benefit?
        Does Sipak have an example of such an emotion?
        "No matter what you do, you must be clear in your conscience." - Sitaigung Ho
        "Goodness begets goodness." - Sigung

Comment

I suppose emotions that neither bring harm nor benefit would be called "neutral" emotions? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable would shed some light on this matter

With Shaolin Salute,
          Lee Wei Joo

Comment

An emotionless Emotion is beyond duality , beyond good and bad karma , it brings no harm nor benefit , it is just IT ...just like God ( Emotionless ) shower Grace to all regardless a person is open hearted ( positive emotion eg joy ) or closed hearted ( negative emotion eg sad ) ....for lack of words , we may say God is Solemn ( neither joyful nor sad ) .

The saying goes , not only pious monks pray ( for successful meditation ) but thieves pray too ( for a successful heist ) .....and God Answers their prayers Emotionlessly .

A positive emotion brings the benefit of good karma , a negative emotion brings the harm of bad karma , an Emotionless emotion is beyond good and bad karma .. beyond duality , beyond the cycle of birth and death , beyond Samsara ...it is the state of Zen.
            Damian Kissey
            Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
            www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Wonderful post from Damian.

Another way of putting it: emotions can just be the expression of a state without necessarily then causing harm or good. Often labelling an emotion is enough to "force" its effect. As Damian so eloquently described, it is possible to just experience or observe an emotion from a state of complete neutrality. In this state, the side-effects of even the strongest emotion can be neutral.

For those of us (most of us, I think), who cannot reach or maintain that state of neutrality, our Chi Kung is an excellent way of neutralising undesired effects of emotional imbalances (to which we are all prone).
              Sifu Andrew Barnett

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)

Comment

Wise answers, thank you Siheng Damian and Siheng Andrew

With Shaolin Salute,
                Lee Wei Joo

Comment

Originally posted by Damian Kissey View Post
                  An emotionless Emotion is beyond duality , beyond good and bad karma , it brings no harm nor benefit , it is just IT ...just like God ( Emotionless ) shower Grace to all regardless a person is open hearted ( positive emotion eg joy ) or closed hearted ( negative emotion eg sad ) ....for lack of words , we may say God is Solemn ( neither joyful nor sad ) .
                  Equanimity, or in other words - balance. Equanimity does not mean the absence of emotions but rather a mastery to manifest one that is necessary. An interesting topic of discussion in itself, if beyond the scope of this thread.

Labels like "negative" are always relative to something. They can be useful but don't need to be taken to seriously. For now, I find the following helpful in my practice: "negative" emotions are those that are compulsive, chronic (stuck in a loop), excessive, or generally unhelpful in daily life.
                  George / Юра
                  Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Sifu George ....mastery to manifest whats necessary.

Thanks much Sifu Andrew for elucidating on the neutral emotion : the ability to clarify on difficult topics comes from actual experience ....and not the least , a good command of languages .. Andrew has both and more

Thanks all for the fun and sharings
                    Last edited by Damian Kissey; 27 March 2021, 09:30 PM.
                    Damian Kissey
                    Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                    www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Dear family,
                      many thanks for this interesting discussion

I would like to give it a try as well:

Everything changes all the time. Even the emotions change all the time. When we have a balanced chi flow, the changes are very small and we don't even notice them.
                      Only when we have a blockage, the emotions can become very big and we can get stuck with those emotions.
                      It doesn't matter if the emotions are positive or negative. Even "positive" emotions, like excessive happiness, can make us sick if we get stuck in them.
                      Since we know the emotions, we can assign them to the organ systems and then know where the blockage is. This allows us to work on the blockage with the appropriate Chi Kung exercises and dissolve it.
                      In this way, emotions can serve as indicators and can support us in healing.

Mark

Last edited by Mark-); 31 March 2021, 09:40 PM.
                      May all beings be happy!

Comment

Since we know the emotions, we can assign them to the organ systems and then know where the blockage is.
                        Yes and no, Mark

With the interplay and interdependence of systems, the organ (pair) associated with an emotion is not necessarily the root cause. Luckily, our chi flow "knows" best
                        Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

Thank you so much, Sifu's and Dr. Damian, for all your clarifying explanations! Supporting and helpful on the way, in practice and daily life.

As for my Chi Kung practice, choosing appropiate exercises according to my emotions can be helpful. But it works best for me simply to do what I feel like, whether it seems logic or not.
                          Last edited by Aloyse Katherin; 1 April 2021, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X