• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article in the NY Times

I don't know if this is the right place to post this,

but I skimmed this article in the NY Times magazine that was interesting:
    How Yoga can Wreck Your Body

It's not necessarily an indictment of yoga, but of the zealousness of some yoga practitioners.

I am ever thankful that Sigung preaches gradual progress and Safety First.

This will have to be a short post, but that article is spot-on, even if the title is extremely misleading. Thanks, Chia Hua, for linking it, and I fully agree with your analysis that is not yoga but the practitioners who are at fault.

What was written about yoga and the deviated practitioners applies equally to qigong as well. Those who force themselves into the painful (for them) asana for hours are very much like those people who breathe forcefully in qigong when told to do so gently. They are all not following instructions.
    百德以孝为先
    Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Originally posted by Zhang Wuji View Post

What was written about yoga and the deviated practitioners applies equally to qigong as well. Those who force themselves into the painful (for them) asana for hours are very much like those people who breathe forcefully in qigong when told to do so gently. They are all not following instructions.
      In fact I was thinking those who cause themselves injury as a result of water buffalo training or just even over-training. A question raised by the article is one that is worth asking ourselves; am I over-training as a result of ego? To me it's like the difference between golden bridge performed as a relaxation exercise vs. golden bridge performed as an endurance contest.

Comment

Working...
      X